Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Waterloo Racer Makes Full Throttle Motor Speedway History  (Read 3916 times)

Offline Doug Townsend

• Rookie Driver
Varney ON – Under ideal weather conditions Friday race fans where treated as all divisions ran 3 features to give them even more racing excitement at Full Throttle Motor Speedway.

After a 2nd and 3rd place finish last week young Tristan Gill out of Waterloo the former Go Kart racer put the provinces V8 Thunder Stock class on notice, he showed  great patience and driving skill as he pulled off back to back to back feature wins, the first ever at Full Throttle.  Never starting up front for any of the features young Gill had to work his way through many veteran drivers and some lap traffic to make his run for the history books.  In the first feature of the night he was able to hold off #26 Dalen Martin of Brussels who was also the runner up in feature 2, coming in third was # 6 Rob Wark from Chesley.  Feature 2 saw the third position going to Open Wheel Modified veteran Terry Pardy from Mount Forest driving #18 for Billy Alderson Jr.  The third feature of the night saw # 05 Steve Brook from Hillsburgh come in second followed by #18 Terry Pardy and rounding out the top five was #26 Dalen Martin and #5 Dave Grey Jr. out of Hanover.

In the Outlaw 4 Modified division these “little cousins” of the Open Wheel Modifieds, put on the show of the night with lap times very close to the big boys. In the first feature of the night these drivers also proved their driving skill running a caution free race in the end it was a win for #33 Tom Houghton of Kitchener followed by #34 Mike Westwood of Burlington in second and #0 Cliff Hodgkinson of Breslau in third.  In feature two after the restart for a lap two caution it was #0 Cliff Hodgkinson followed by #10 A.J. Emms from Orillia checking out on the rest of the field as they ran to the checkers followed by third place driver Shawn McGlynn from Kitchener piloting # 46.  The final feature of the night provided to be the closest as the drivers became more accustomed to the track and #10 A.J Emms would not be denied a checker this evening as he was able to pull off a late race pass on #46 Shawn McGlynn for the win followed by #0 Cliff Hodgkinson, rounding out the top 5 was #33 Tom Houghton of Kitchener and #40 Martin Frieburger of Walkerton.

In Pure Stock action there was another great car count in the pits.  In feature 1 action after starting 4th and with some great driving it was #13 Jacob Robb from Varney coming in first followed by #17 Bill Clarke of Mount Forest and #43 Joey Schouten also from Mount Forest.  Feature 2 saw the veteran Bill Clarke start on the pole and never look back, second went to #13 Jacob Robb and third to #14 Luke Bos out of Conn.  The third feature of the night saw #01 Travis Farrow of Durham and #43 in a tight battle for the lead until they came upon lap traffic.  As they slowed and moved up the track to make a move this opened up a hole on the low side which allowed the third place running car #17 to make a bold move to take the lead and never look back. The race was now for 2nd and 3rd with both #01 and #43 making contact all the way from corner 4 to the finish line where it was #43 Joey Schouten taking second and #01 Travis Farrow third.  Rounding out the top 5 where #14 Luke Bos and #5 Lyle Lorenz of Listowel.

Despite poor support by the Sportsman class cars the ones that did show put on a thrilling show for the fans.  Taking 2 out of the 3 features was Kitchener’s own Shawn McGlynn driving #81.  The other feature was won by # 3 Tim Tolton from Guelph and #18 Chad McGlynn from Kitchener picked up three 3rd place finishes.  The biggest hit of the night came in the third feature when the #3 New Generation Wood Products Monte Carlo of Tim Tolton was out front then coming off of corner 4 to the white flag slapped the wall hard, it was later discovered that the steering box had come dislodged in the car.

Crazy Train action in the first feature it was the Lyle Lorenz team out of Listowel taking the checker over the Rockford Rednecks and the Johnathon Bates team from Owen Sound.  In feature 2 it was the Rockford Rednecks beating out the Matt Boylan team from Mount Forest followed by Road Rage Therapy from Mount Forest.

Full Throttle Motor Speedway is located 5km’s south of Durham on highway 6.  Next racing action is this coming Friday June 6th with - Pro Late Models, Open Wheel Modifieds, Mini Stocks, Pure Stocks and Crazy Trains green flag drops at 7:30.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=19333.msg111165#msg111165

CanadianRacingOnline.com

Offline LM18Fan

• Pit Crew
Re: Waterloo Racer Makes Full Throttle Motor Speedway History
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 05:44:37 PM »
I'm glad to hear that you have things going.  I have great memories of racing their myself etc.
But, comments like this

"back to back feature wins, the first ever at Full Throttle. " cheapens the report.

You've been open 2 weeks.  This isn't a major accomplishment.  In the history of the track itself it's probably been done 1000 times.

Report the news of the night, don't try to make it up yourselves.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=19333.msg111167#msg111167

Offline racin-jason

• Race Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 10:24:30 PM »
Raced many years myself at Varney and have spectated for many more and I have never seen 3 features of same class on the same night, so don't see know how its been done "1000 times before". Seen many people win both heats and feature, pulled it off a couple times myself but not 3 features on same night. Find it odd your critical of it being reported properly but didn't even read it properly or even quote it accurately. It was "back to back to back" wins not "back to back" wins. Anyway doesn't "cheapen" report for me, its great to hear what's happening there. Keep up the good work!

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=19333.msg111168#msg111168

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 10:24:30 PM »

Offline murray

• Series Owner
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 02:19:31 PM »
did not know they were rracing thunder cars again last week.... is therer bonus money for two wins ??

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=19333.msg111171#msg111171

Offline LM18Fan

• Pit Crew
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 09:50:34 PM »
Raced many years myself at Varney and have spectated for many more and I have never seen 3 features of same class on the same night, so don't see know how its been done "1000 times before". Seen many people win both heats and feature, pulled it off a couple times myself but not 3 features on same night. Find it odd your critical of it being reported properly but didn't even read it properly or even quote it accurately. It was "back to back to back" wins not "back to back" wins. Anyway doesn't "cheapen" report for me, its great to hear what's happening there. Keep up the good work!

You are right, I can't read.  Valid correction there, it was back to back to back...

1. He won 3 "features"  with a whopping 8 cars in them.  That used to be called a Heat Race, not really history making.

2. "18 Chad McGlynn from Kitchener picked up three 3rd place finishes." -he also finished dead last in all three races...there were only 3 cars.

get my point?

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=19333.msg111206#msg111206

Offline racinjason

• Race Fan

Offline murray

• Series Owner

HTML ezBlock

site
stats