Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Garcia Grabs The Pole In Valencia Ferrando Storms To Third Career ELITE 2  (Read 1177 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
Garcia Grabs The Pole In Valencia
Ferrando Storms To Third Career ELITE 2 Pole
Gian Luca Guiglia, NWES
April 8, 2017 - 6:09am
Tweet

Borja Garcia (#1 Alex Caffi Motorsport Ford Mustang) backed up Friday’s fastest practice time with an outstanding 1:39,725 lap in Superpole to take the pole position for the first race of the 2017 NASCAR Whelen Euro Series season. This is his second career pole and first at his home track.

“I’m really happy and it was really unexpected.  This is my third year in the NASCAR Whelen Euro Series and first pole position on a road course.  It’s really special for it to be here at my home track in Valencia,” said Garcia. “The car was fast all day yesterday and feels even better today on new tires.  It’s good to start up front here as the first two corners are always a bit challenging during the first couple of laps. I really want to thank my team for all their hard work.  I’m very proud to be driving for Alex Caffi Motorsports.  I also want to thank Jerome Galpin and everybody from NASCAR Whelen Euro Series for providing this great opportunity. We definitely have a car that’s capable of winning today and I hope to provide the fans a great race!”

The Spaniard edged NASCAR Next driver Alon Day (#54 CAAL Racing Chevrolet SS) by less that .2 seconds. The Israeli set a new track record in the first segment of qualifying with a blistering lap time of 1:39,677 on the 4.005 Km road course.

Six drivers went below the previous benchmark and it was Stienes Longin (#11 PK Carsport Chevrolet SS) who took third in his first ELITE 1 Qualifying session, besting his two-time Champion teammate Anthony Kumpen (#24 PK Carsport Chevrolet SS) and leading the Junior Trophy classification. Freddy Nordstrom (#44 CAAL Racing Chevrolet SS) and newcomer Rodolfo Gonzalez (#2 Alex Caffi Motorsport Ford Mustang ) will line up on the third row, followed by Christophe Bouchut (#66 DF1 Racing Team Chevrolet SS) and Salvador Tineo Arroyo (#54 CAAL Racing Chevrolet SS).

The Knauf Racing Team duo will start from the fifth row, with Thomas Ferrando (#37 Knauf Racing Team Ford Mustang) leading Wilfried Boucenna (#73 Knauf Racing Team Ford Mustang), while Frederic Gabillon (#3 Tepac RDV Compétition Ford Mustang) and Gianmarco Ercoli (#9 Racers Motorsport Ford Mustang) will begin their campaign from outside the top-10.  Patrick Simon led the Challenger Trophy classification with the 13th fastest time overall.

The ELITE 2 Division pole went to Thomas Ferrando, who posted a 1:41,288 lap in Superpole to edge Polish sensation Maciej Dreszer (#66 DF1 Racing Team Chevrolet SS), who will start his first ever NASCAR race from the first row.

“It’s an amazing feeling to win the pole position for today’s race.  Especially after our challenges yesterday.  The car was really fast throughout yesterday’s practice but in the closing laps we got into some oil on the track and wrecked the car really bad.  The team worked through the night to repair the car and as always they did an incredible job!  I really have to thank them for today’s pole position!  I also want to thank my great sponsor and everybody involved with Knauf Racing,” said Ferrando, who scored his third career pole.

Ulysse Delsaux (#3 McDonald's RDV Compétition Ford Mustang) took third ahead of Guillaume Dumarey (#24 PK Carsport Chevrolet SS). Eric De Doncker (#98 Motorsport 98 Ford Mustang) led the Legend Trophy in fifth and was followed by Brazilian rookie Felipe Rabello (#56 CAAL Racing Chevrolet SS).

Justin Kunz (#11 PK Carsport Chevrolet SS) and Gil Linster (#44 CAAL Racing Chevrolet SS) will line up on the fourth row, Carmen Boix Gil will lead the Lady Cup in ninth and Marconi De Abreu (#47 Brazil Team Ford Mustang) will round out the top-10.

The first ELITE 1 race of the Valencia NASCAR fest will be streamed live on Fanschoice.tv and the NASCAR Whelen Euro Series Facebook page.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=23626.msg116192#msg116192
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

HTML ezBlock

site
stats