Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: ADAMS LEAVES BAY OF QUINTE GRAND PRIX WITH HARD-EARNED WEEKEND SWEEP  (Read 1705 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.

ADAMS LEAVES BAY OF QUINTE GRAND PRIX WITH
HARD-EARNED WEEKEND SWEEP

Willis repeats day 1 successes to dominate B Class

SHANNONVILLE, ON (July 19, 2015) – Michael Adams came away with victory in race 2 for the Toyo Tires F1600 Championship at the Bay of Quinte Grand Prix, making for a weekend sweep for the Courtice, Ontario native. But Zacharie Robichon of Ottawa, Ontario, made Adams work for it.

The pair, joined in a pack at the front of the field by B Class winner and third-place finisher overall Craig Willis of Georgetown, Ontario, put on a thrilling show of wheel-to-wheel, back and forth racing of the sort that put Formula 1600 on the map as the premiere driver development formula in the world.

Adams, supported this weekend by Canadian automotive event company FEL, competed in a Mygale-Honda prepared by Britain West Motorsport. The added support played a role in the success that sees Adams jump out to a strong lead in the F1600 Super Series, which wraps up next month at the Grand Prix Trois-Rivières.

The deciding moments began at roughly halfway through the 22-minute race when leader Adams got caught behind a slower car and bobbled, allowing both 2nd-place Robichon and 3rd-place Willis to get by. Adams took advantage of a slide by Willis to regain 2nd place on the next lap.

On their next time through the front straight Robichon and Adams were side by side from end to end before Adams was forced to relent. He hung back and waited for his next opportunity, which came with five minutes to go and stuck until the checkered.

“It was back and forth,” Adams said. “(Robichon) got me initially because I made a little bit of a mistake entering turn 2. Craig got by me as well and I just sort of hung around in 3rd to bide my time and wait for the perfect opportunity to capitalize. I want to thank Britain West and FEL for this opportunity. I had a lot of fun out there.”

“It was a really fun race with Michael,” Robichon agreed. “He seemed to have a little bit of speed on me, but he was pushing and making some mistakes and I was trying to capitalize. I was just as bad as him – I was dropping wheels left and right. I can safely say I didn’t have anything left in me, so he just got the better of me today. But I can say that with my head held up high because it was really a fun race.”

Robichon’s teammate at Brian Graham Racing, Reid Arnold, repeated his 3rd place result in A Class, which leaves him second in points in the F1600 Super Series going into the finale next month.

Craig Willis turned a great first day at Shannonville Motorsport Park into a great weekend. He repeated every single one of his Saturday successes again on Sunday: he set a B Class qualifying lap record to win pole, then won in B Class and repeated his 3rd-place overall result while setting a new B Class race lap record four different times throughout the 19-lap running.

“It was an incredible weekend,” Willis said. “I was able to catch up to (Adams and Robichon) and race it out with the top A drivers. After doing all that hard work to get everything ready for this weekend, it was a lot of fun. I’d like to thank my family for getting everything ready.”

The B Class podium was rounded out by 2nd place finisher Graham Lobban and 3rd place finisher Connor Wagland.

The next stop for the Toyo Tires F1600 Championship is the MCO Ted Powell Memorial Races at Calabogie Motorsports Park on August 22nd and 23rd.

SERIES CONTACT: Jason Sharpe, (416) 557-5451 or jasons@movemotorsports.com, Twitter: @jasonsharpe

If photographs are required please contact Jason Sharpe (416) 557-5451 or jasons@movemotorsports.com

Photos by Michael Haley

The Toyo Tires F1600 Championship Series is the premiere open wheel series in Ontario, sanctioned by CASC Ontario Region and proudly supported by Toyo Tires, Honda HPD, Heather’s Heros, Cove Dentistry, Stäubli, Lincoln Electric and MK Technologies. The series is comprised of a six event, double-header format and competes at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park, Shannonville Motorsport Park and Calabogie Motorsports Park.

The Formula 1600 Super Series is the combined premiere events of the Toyo Tires F1600 Championship Series from Ontario and the Toyo Tires Formula Tour 1600 Series from Quebec.  The series is comprised of a four event, double-header format and competes at CTMP’s Victoria Day SpeedFest, Formula One Grand Prix of Montreal, the Bay of Quinte Grand Prix at Shannonville Motorsport Park and the Grand Prix of Trois Rivières.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=21544.msg114044#msg114044
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

HTML ezBlock

site
stats