Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: TQ Midget results - Grand Bend - July 26/09  (Read 1807 times)

Offline jmaudsley

• Car Owner
TQ Midget results - Grand Bend - July 26/09
« on: July 27, 2009, 01:35:19 AM »
Gray and Locals Shine in Grand Bend

Heat races were won by James Gray, Greg Smolders, and Rob Neely.

The feature kicked off with local driver Tom Kyle on the pole, and Mack DeMann beside him, as the 22-car field took the green.
DeMann would grab the lead, but the race was slowed early as Kent Turnbull pounded the turn one wall, ending his day (pics linked below).  

On the restart, Kyle, who cut his teeth at the Grand Bend Speedway, reasserted himself at the head of the pack, before the field was slowed again.  

On the next restart, DeMann was able to get back out front, until the field was slowed again on lap seven, as Chris Holman’s car died on track.  

He was able to get back out on the track, and would race from the back to a 10th-place finish.
The next yellow would fly on lap 11 as defending series champion Daniel Bois put his #84 in the fence coming out of turn four (pics linked below).

On the restart, the order was DeMann, Kyle, Smolders, and Gray, who had sliced his way through the field from 10th-starting position.

Shortly after the green flag, Gray made the move of the race.  Smolders dove to the inside of Kyle for second entering turn one, and Gray struck as the pair raced side by side off of turn two (pics linked below).  Gray explained the risky three-wide move, “I saw Greg get down to the inside, and Greg is a pretty aggressive driver.  He carried a lot of speed in there, and I assumed that the door would be open.  I got some good bite with the rear end and was able to get a run and get by both of them down the back straight.  The opportunity was there.”

Despite moving from fourth to second, Gray wasn’t done yet.  He went after DeMann, and with just a handful of laps left, opportunity knocked.  “He slipped up in turn three,” started James.  “No offence to Mack DeMann.  After all, he was good enough to finish second.  He just messed up once, and that was all it took.  If he didn’t make that mistake, it would have been one heck of a race between us for the win.”

The races final yellow flew with just two laps left when Wayne Turnbull had a scary incident on the front stretch.  The entire motor caught fire, and luckily the safety crew was on top of the situation, extinguishing the flame very quickly after the car stopped (pic link below).  

Threatening weather had moved this Saturday even to Sunday, and the pit area saw some rain earlier in the afternoon.  Between a huge strip of the oil that didn’t manage to burn off the ruminants’ of Turnbull’s motor, the intense lightning on the horizon, and evident rain, race officials tapped out, and rightly so.

The dozen or so that were left ran for cover, and after when the heavy stuff let up I had caught up with the race winner in the comfort of his trailer following his second straight feature win.  “It was really great to come back to Grand Bend.  This is the tightest track that we race on, and there are not a lot of lanes to pick.  I was able to get my car to handle where no one else was, and that was the key today.  
Lapped traffic is also tough here, and we were able to deal with it.”

DeMann finished second, with Smolders third, Kyle fourth, and Colin Turnbull fifth after starting 11th.
Other notable finishes came from two other home grown talent on the shores of Lake Huron, Darren McLennan who raced from 12th to seventh, and Corey Moesker, who overcame a trouble filled day to come from the back of the pack to a ninth-place finish.

Pics to follow.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=10194.msg70626#msg70626

CanadianRacingOnline.com

TQ Midget results - Grand Bend - July 26/09
« on: July 27, 2009, 01:35:19 AM »

Offline jmaudsley

• Car Owner

Offline right rear

• Pit Crew
Re: TQ Midget results - Grand Bend - July 26/09
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 12:10:22 AM »
nice run tommy kyle!! you almost looked as good as your son cody out there on sunday!! great job!! can`t wait for sauble!

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=10194.msg70696#msg70696

CanadianRacingOnline.com

Re: TQ Midget results - Grand Bend - July 26/09
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 12:10:22 AM »

HTML ezBlock

site
stats