Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Ontario’s Sunset Speedway Joins NASCAR  (Read 24972 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
Ontario’s Sunset Speedway Joins NASCAR
« on: February 05, 2015, 04:35:11 PM »

Newest Addition To Whelen All-American Series Program

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Feb. 5, 2015) – NASCAR announced today that Ontario, Canada’s Sunset Speedway has joined the NASCAR Whelen All-American Series program as a weekly NASCAR Home Track for the 2015 season.

The .333-mile, high-banked oval is located in Innisfil, Ontario, just 40 minutes north of Toronto. Sunset Speedway, which originally opened in 1968, will become the third NASCAR-sanctioned weekly track in Canada.

“We are pleased to welcome Sunset Speedway to the NASCAR family,” said George Silbermann, NASCAR’s vice president for regional and touring series. “Sunset is a fantastic facility with great competition and it will anchor NASCAR racing in Ontario.”

Established in 1982, the NASCAR Whelen All-American Series is NASCAR’s national championship program for weekly short track auto racing. Competitors at more than 50 paved and dirt tracks throughout North America vie for track, state and province, and overall series championships in Divisions I-V.

Sunset will also play host to the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series on June 20 for the Leland Industries 300 presented by Johnsonville.

“It is a very exciting year for me and the whole Sunset team,” said Mark Dilley, Sunset Speedway’s general manager. “Our goal has always been to host a NASCAR, and that day has finally come. Not only will we have the inaugural Leland Industries 300 presented by Johnsonville, but we will see a full year of NASCAR racing with the NASCAR Whelen All-American Series. It is a great opportunity for all of the fans, competitors and staff at Sunset, and I am proud to be a part of it.”

Sunset’s first night of NASCAR-sanctioned competition will be Saturday, May 2. Late models are the feature division at Sunset, and will be designated NASCAR Division I. The super stocks will compete as Division II, mini stocks Division III and mighty minis Division IV.

Connecticut-based Whelen Engineering is the series’ title sponsor. Whelen Engineering is a leading manufacturer of automotive, aviation, industrial and emergency vehicle lighting. NASCAR tracks and pace cars across North America and Europe are among the many showcases for Whelen products.

For more information on Sunset Speedway, please visit sunsetspeedway.ca.

Jason Cunningham
NASCAR Integrated Marketing Communications
704-201-6658
jcunningham@nascar.com

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=20591.msg112916#msg112916
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« on: February 05, 2015, 04:35:11 PM »

Offline nascar329

• Series Owner
Re: Ontario’s Sunset Speedway Joins NASCAR
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 03:53:57 PM »

Newest Addition To Whelen All-American Series Program

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Feb. 5, 2015) – NASCAR announced today that Ontario, Canada’s Sunset Speedway has joined the NASCAR Whelen All-American Series program as a weekly NASCAR Home Track for the 2015 season.

The .333-mile, high-banked oval is located in Innisfil, Ontario, just 40 minutes north of Toronto. Sunset Speedway, which originally opened in 1968, will become the third NASCAR-sanctioned weekly track in Canada.

“We are pleased to welcome Sunset Speedway to the NASCAR family,” said George Silbermann, NASCAR’s vice president for regional and touring series. “Sunset is a fantastic facility with great competition and it will anchor NASCAR racing in Ontario.”

Established in 1982, the NASCAR Whelen All-American Series is NASCAR’s national championship program for weekly short track auto racing. Competitors at more than 50 paved and dirt tracks throughout North America vie for track, state and province, and overall series championships in Divisions I-V.

Sunset will also play host to the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series on June 20 for the Leland Industries 300 presented by Johnsonville.

“It is a very exciting year for me and the whole Sunset team,” said Mark Dilley, Sunset Speedway’s general manager. “Our goal has always been to host a NASCAR, and that day has finally come. Not only will we have the inaugural Leland Industries 300 presented by Johnsonville, but we will see a full year of NASCAR racing with the NASCAR Whelen All-American Series. It is a great opportunity for all of the fans, competitors and staff at Sunset, and I am proud to be a part of it.”

Sunset’s first night of NASCAR-sanctioned competition will be Saturday, May 2. Late models are the feature division at Sunset, and will be designated NASCAR Division I. The super stocks will compete as Division II, mini stocks Division III and mighty minis Division IV.

Connecticut-based Whelen Engineering is the series’ title sponsor. Whelen Engineering is a leading manufacturer of automotive, aviation, industrial and emergency vehicle lighting. NASCAR tracks and pace cars across North America and Europe are among the many showcases for Whelen products.

For more information on Sunset Speedway, please visit sunsetspeedway.ca.

Jason Cunningham
NASCAR Integrated Marketing Communications
704-201-6658
jcunningham@nascar.com
I think (my opinion) allowing NASCAR into SUNSET is a big mistake.
It will stop any drivers from coming to race on a few nites who don't want to get a Licence (just a $$$$ grab)
I didn't see where it did anything for BARRIE ! :)

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=20591.msg112983#msg112983

Offline jibbyjebidiah

• Series Owner
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 04:16:39 PM »
... Or Deleware. But it guarantees them a NASCAR race and that is what they wanted.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=20591.msg112984#msg112984

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 04:16:39 PM »

Offline murray

• Series Owner
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 07:35:17 AM »

Offline MarkDilley

• Team Owner
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 09:39:51 PM »
I will answer all the question after our meeting on Sunday but just for the record it does not eliminate other racers and also does not affect any of our invitationals what so ever so I do not think it is a mistake what so ever I have put a lot of time into this and would not go backwards in any way, as for being pushed into the Whelen series so we could have a NASCAR Canadian Tire race is not true at all we have been talking with NASCAR for a few years about it but the have boundaries of how close speedways can be to each other that race on the same night.
Mark

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=20591.msg112986#msg112986

Offline cardriver

• Car Owner
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 11:55:14 PM »
Save the gas, we've already seen it with Barrie.

The NASCAR membership was waved for invitationals, but on a regular night if you wanted to run there you did have to buy an membership, and yes it was a cash grab. It did bring the Whelen series - whatever that means, you'd have to ask someone who cares.

As a simple traveling driver who didn't need to be connected to NASCAR because I wasn't working my way up to Cup level even if only in my dreams, I just avoided going there as a result.

I guess Sunset is in a position now with enough cars not to care.

Or maybe I'm wrong. In that case it should be easy to list the benefits to anyone other than NASCAR. That would be interesting to hear.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=20591.msg112987#msg112987

Offline MarkDilley

• Team Owner
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 09:17:12 AM »
If you would like to Call me I am more then willing to talk to you 7057900591 but for respect to the racers that have supported me for the last 6 years week in and week out I will be talking to them on Sunday first, like I said my number is there.
Mark

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=20591.msg112988#msg112988

Offline murray

• Series Owner
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 06:17:06 PM »

Offline MarkDilley

• Team Owner
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 07:39:03 PM »
Right now we are at 69 mini 40 super stock and 36 late models

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=20591.msg113006#msg113006

Offline cardriver

• Car Owner
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 12:37:03 AM »
No update that the cat put back in the bag is still a cat when you let it out ;)

NA$CAR membership required for anyone who wants to run a single night that isn't an invitational. Barrie all over again.

But on the bright side congrats on your car counts. Should be fun to watch.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=20591.msg113008#msg113008

Offline MarkDilley

• Team Owner
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 07:55:13 AM »
Hey Ross first of all everyone has always had to register at Sunset even if you wanted to run one night we put that rule in 5 years ago, second you can by a temp NASCAR lic which is good for 15 days for $50 so lets have a look at that over last year Late $175 Super $125 Mini $75 even for one night in the past, so the way I see it  is cheaper now then before if you wanted to run one night or a couple in a row, You should of balled up and gave me a call and by the way this will be my last answer to your questions on line you have my number.
Mark Dilley

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=20591.msg113009#msg113009

Offline murray

• Series Owner
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 08:06:07 AM »
So if we bring a car on on may 9 th from sauble for a race....with four people..is it $ 50 or  $200 to get in pits plus  pit gate price ??  Thanks

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=20591.msg113010#msg113010

Offline cardriver

• Car Owner
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 07:38:31 PM »
Hey Ross first of all everyone has always had to register at Sunset even if you wanted to run one night we put that rule in 5 years ago

I can tell you first hand you didn't enforce it, and that isn't what all you staff thought... I never paid membership last year, and only after my 3rd race in 2013.

, second you can by a temp NASCAR lic which is good for 15 days for $50  

Ok so its $50 NA$CAR membership plus $35 back gate = $85 just to race. By my math that is still $50 bucks more, and for what? If its so great sell it and tell someone what the heck they get for that extra $50 bucks.

so lets have a look at that over last year Late $175 Super $125 Mini $75 even for one night in the past, so the way I see it  is cheaper now then before if you wanted to run one night or a couple in a row,

Sorry Mark, but again you are either outright lieing, or you didn't communicate that with your staff.

You would also be the only track in Ontario to charge a full membership for one night. So I wouldn't wear that as a badge of honor, and as justification someone is paying less.

You should of balled up and gave me a call and by the way this will be my last answer to your questions on line you have my number.

I'm not sure where the "balls" factor applies to not calling you. You already stated you were not going to let the cat out of the bag until you told the "guys that stuck with your for 6 years", and second the question of cost per night applies to everyone, so why not answer the question in the forum instead of answering the phone 100 times. Personally I thought of it as not wasting your time.

I respected your wish of the clock and dagger of not letting it all out till Sunday. You'd tell me something on the phone you don't want out???

If you want to talk to me on the phone that bad, send me a PM here or on FB and I'll send you my number. Not really sure what it will accomplish.. For me in the drivers seat I'm done. For fielding another car there for a night or two the $50 kills that, as I'm sure it does with the others.

Again congrats on your car counts, but the whole NA$CAR thing sucks, and your only plus you have stated is a driver will pay "less" than an amount they were not paying to start with. Please explain what I am missing - you are saying its great, so why is that?

Cheers,
Ross

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=20591.msg113015#msg113015
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 07:43:59 PM by cardriver »

Offline cardriver

• Car Owner
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 07:49:29 PM »
So if we bring a car on on may 9 th from sauble for a race....with four people..is it $ 50 or  $200 to get in pits plus  pit gate price ??  Thanks

Its saving you money dude. ;)

I didn't dare ask if the NA$CAR membership was for crew. I guess it is. How about if someone brings their Mom?

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=20591.msg113016#msg113016

Offline jcrashm2

• Series Owner
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 09:03:49 PM »
at the Flamboro meeting there were a few new and old faces there...and a couple of them were saying they bought sunset memberships before this Nascar deal came together and they arent interested in paying all the extras to run there now, but have been told they cant get their membership money back...good on sunset for the car counts but if guys dont want part of the nascar deal now they should be refunded...

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=20591.msg113017#msg113017
Raced Flamboro,Varney,Sauble,Barrie,CNE, Sunset,Ohsweken,Humberstone,Peterboro, Paris,Delaware

HTML ezBlock

site
stats