Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: ANDRETTI AUTOSPORT ABC SUPPLY 500 RACE REPORT 08.19.18  (Read 561 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
ANDRETTI AUTOSPORT ABC SUPPLY 500 RACE REPORT 08.19.18
« on: August 19, 2018, 10:52:21 PM »
VERIZON INDYCAR SERIES

ABC SUPPLY 500
RACE REPORT
NAPA AUTO PARTS driver Alexander Rossi collected a second-consecutive victory today, taking the twin checkers at Pocono Raceway and narrowing the championship points gap to leader Scott Dixon.

The 500-Mile race saw an extended red flag period after just six laps of competition for a multi-car incident that ended the day for 2015 race winner Ryan Hunter-Reay. The accident, which involved contact between the No. 28 and the No. 6 car of Robert Wickens resulted in damage to the catch fence which needed repaired before racing could resume. Wickens was transported to the Lehigh Valley Cedar Crest Hospital in Allentown with orthopedic injuries and remains under evaluation.

Next weekend the Verizon IndyCar Series wraps up oval competition at Gateway Motorsports Park. The second event of a three-in-a-row stint will see practice and qualifying sessions on Friday with the 248-lap race waved green on Saturday night under the St. Louis lights.
 No. 27 NAPA AUTO PARTS HONDA

•STARTED 3rd // FINISHED 1st
•CHAMPIONSHIP: 2nd (501 pts.)
•OF NOTE: Led 180 laps on his way to a third win of the season // Collected a fifth IndyCar career victory // Remains second in the championship standings, closing the gap to just 29 points
"We came out in some traffic and it was really hard to be behind cars for some reason today. The No. 27 NAPA AUTO PARTS Honda was better than everyone else, so it was an exceptional day but right now Rob [Wickens] and James [Hinchcliffe] and Ryan [Hunter-Reay] and everyone involved in that incident have our thoughts. It’s tough to really celebrate after what happened.

I really have to thank the team. I have amazing teammates. Zach [Veach] and Marco [Andretti] really helped me there in traffic so I owe them a beer, or a case of beer! I’ve just been leaning on Ryan and Michael [Andretti] and Bryan [Herta] ever since day one to help me overcome the challenge that is superspeedways. You can’t do any of this without an amazing team, so I am very thankful to be on Andretti Autosport and have this great group of people. It’s a special day today. We’re going to try and win a championship. We’re executing like we need to do on Sundays and we’ll do everything we can to keep that rolling. There’s no time to rest now as we’re in Gateway next weekend."

No. 26 GROUP 1001 HONDA
•STARTED: 7th // FINISHED 6th
•CHAMPIONSHIP: 16th (239 pts.)
•OF NOTE: Collected a career best oval finish and second-best result of his rookie season
“I’m very satisfied with how our race today went. During the big crash in the beginning, it turned out that our front wing adjuster got ripped off the nose of the car. We started the race a little conservative on front wing, to get through the first stint. Our plan was to keep adding throughout the race, but we weren’t able to so that kind of hurt us – we were stuck with that same front wing angle. As soon as I got close to cars, I struggled. We just needed a little more front wing which we couldn’t put in. But, all-in-all, I’m pretty happy with our day. Hoping that Robert [Wickens] is okay – we’re all thinking of him.”

No. 98 U.S. CONCRETE / CURB HONDA
•STARTED 11th // FINISHED 7th
•CHAMPIONSHIP: 11th (311 pts)
•OF NOTE: Showed speed as a podium contender but settled for seventh when a gamble on pit strategy didn't pay out // Recorded a 100th career top-10 finish
“I think we made a good gamble to pit early. We came out and we were flying, and we leap-frogged everybody… and it figures we’d go 480 miles with no yellow, so we ended up right back where we started. But, we went for it and all we needed was a little help to be on the podium, but we had to save [fuel] most of the race. Coming away with a 100th top-10, but wish it was a win. We’re on to Gateway next weekend but sending good thoughts tonight to Robbie [Wickens].”

No. 28 DHL HONDA
•STARTED 4th // FINISHED 18th
•CHAMPIONSHIP: 5th (411 pts.)
•OF NOTE: Involved in a multi-car collision with just six laps complete, causing extreme damage to the No. 28 and retiring the DHL team early from the 500-mile race // Hunter-Reay was checked, cleared and released from the Infield Car Center during the race's red flag
“Today was really unfortunate. I’m lucky to get out of that one and I just hope that Robert and everyone else involved is alright. We’re waiting on every word of his update and just really thinking of him. He had a run out of Turn 1, popped out to the outside and I stayed in the draft to Will [Power] in front of me. I closed up to Will and Wickens fell back. As we came to the corner, [Wickens] was at my left rear tire and I gave him some room to the bottom. I was pretty shocked I got hit in the back, but none of that matters right now – we’re just thinking about Robert and hoping he’s alright. It’s all very, very unfortunate.”

MEDIA CONTACTS

Ryann Rigsby
Vice President, Communications
ryann.rigsby@andrettiautosport.com
+1 610.909.7312 

Britni Allen
Senior Manager, Communications, INDYCAR
britni.allen@andrettiautosport.com
+1 740.816.2748

Phil Zielinski
Manager, Communications, Formula E
phil.zielinski@andrettiautosport.com
+1 317.373.9549

Amber Stevenson
Associate, Communications
amber.stevenson@andrettiautosport.com
+1 574.361.4325

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=26484.msg119051#msg119051
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

ANDRETTI AUTOSPORT ABC SUPPLY 500 RACE REPORT 08.19.18
« on: August 19, 2018, 10:52:21 PM »

HTML ezBlock

site
stats