Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: MCLAUGHLIN TAKES BATHURST PODIUM, CLOSES POINTS GAP  (Read 687 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
MCLAUGHLIN TAKES BATHURST PODIUM, CLOSES POINTS GAP
« on: October 08, 2018, 01:39:45 PM »

Shell V-Power Racing Team drivers Scott McLaughlin and Alex Premat took a fantastic podium finish at the Bathurst 1000 today, with teammates Fabian Coulthard and Tony D'Alberto strong Top 10 finishers.

DOWNLOAD IMAGES

BATHURST 1000 – SUNDAY, OCTOBER 7 – RACE

Fabian Coulthard & Tony D'Alberto - No. 12 Shell V-Power Racing Ford

Race 25 – 9th (Fastest Lap: 2m06.7526s (Coulthard)

Scott McLaughlin & Alex Premat - No. 17 Shell V-Power Racing Ford

Race 25 – 3rd (Fastest Lap: 2m06.4118s (McLaughlin)

RECAP: The 2018 edition of the Bathurst 1000 was another race of attrition, of both man and machine. Both Shell V-Power Racing Fords got a good start, with Car No.17 started by Scott McLaughlin and Car No.12 started by Tony D’Alberto.

McLaughlin took his first stop on 17, when Premat got behind the wheel for the second stint of the race. Premat settled into fourth place on the road after the first round of stops, and began pushing in a sensational stint. He took Car No.17’s second stop on lap 34, during a safety car period where some debris was cleaned from the circuit. Premat moved to third, and then second when Triple Eight runners Jamie Whincup and Paul Dumbrell lost a wheel on the pit straight. Premat then past the Erebus No.9 to take the lead for the first time.

Premat pitted from the lead on lap 57, after a sensational drive. Scott jumped into the car, though a slow pit stop for a brake change pushed McLaughlin down to eighth. Light rain started to fall through this section of the race, although not heavy enough to cause a change to wet tyres. McLaughlin worked his way to fifth before taking a fourth stop on lap 77, again switching with Premat. The Frenchman again excelled in tricky conditions, returning to pit lane on lap 94 to hand the car back to McLaughlin for the rest of the day. McLaughlin settled into seventh place behind Coulthard until lap 111, when Coulthard allowed his team mate by to attempt an attack on the leaders. He worked his way forward to fourth, and then was third when David Reynolds took an unscheduled stop as he struggled with cramping in his right leg. After McLaughlin’s final scheduled stop of the day he sat fourth, until a drive-through penalty forced Reynolds back to pit-lane, and out of contention for the race.

The last segment of the race was a green flag sprint, with McLaughlin behind Lowndes and Pye. It ended with McLaughlin taking his first Bathurst 1000 podium in third position, with Alex Premat alongside him. McLaughlin is now only 19 points behind Shane van Gisbergen in the Driver’s Championship.

Fabian Coulthard and Tony D’Alberto’s day was up-and-down. D’Alberto started the race and made positions off the start to pit the first time on lap 22 from 11th position. He stayed in the car and continued to drive fast and clean, settling back into 11th on the road. Tony stopped during the lap 34 safety car, handing over to Coulthard who moved up to eighth on the restart. Coulthard began to move forward, with additional speed over the pack. He moved to sixth place after Car 1 struck trouble, before pitting on lap 48, re-entering the track in clean air, and being able to push hard to set some fast times.

He moved into first place on the road during the fourth round of stops, and stayed there until another service on lap 68, handing the car back to Tony for him to finish his co-driver laps. Tony did a great job holding second place until he handed the car back to Coulthard on lap 92 for the run to the flag. D’Alberto reported an issue with the transmission in the car to the team, which would progressively get worse across the afternoon. Coulthard ran sixth in this stint, before handing position to McLaughlin and dropping to seventh. He took another stop on lap 115, before his final stop on lap 139. He got to ninth place after all the strategy played out, however was unable to move any further forward as he nursed the car to the finish. He is now seventh in the Driver’s points, with the team second in the Team’s Points.

COULTHARD QUOTE: “It was a long day! It certainly would have been nice to get a better result, but I can’t be unhappy. We moved forward, and that’s all you can really ask for. I think not having enough dry running earlier in the week really hurt us, and I don’t think our car was where it should be for a long race like that one. We worked so hard all weekend, and I’m so proud of all my guys, and all the effort they’ve put in. They’ve had three gearboxes in and out of the thing all weekend. Hopefully we’ll find one that we like for the Gold Coast! Everyone should stand proud, with their heads high – it’s great to see Scott and Alex up on the podium, and congratulations to them.”

MCLAUGHLIN QUOTE: “It’s very cool to get a podium here at Bathurst. It’s something that I’ve dreamed about since I was a kid, and to share the podium with Lowndesy was incredible. It was very intense up there, with the crowd chanting. It was something that I will cherish forever. Alex and the team did a stellar job, and now I can’t wait to come back and try for the top step.”

D’ALBERTO QUOTE: “I was happy with the start, got off the line really well and was able to hold my own againt many of the main game regular drivers there. That was our plan, and it worked out well. Both stints went well, and I had pace to stay with the leaders across my stints, which was good for me. We did what we could with what we had.”

PREMAT QUOTE: “It’s great to be back on the podium at Bathurst, always a great feeling to achieve that. The team worked really well together, and it is nice to get a reward for that. I’m looking forward to the next one.”

DRIVERS’ CHAMPIONSHIP POINTS

1. Shane Van Gisbergen 3276   
2. Scott McLaughlin        3257 -19
3. Jamie Whincup             2872 -404
4. Craig Lowndes 2787 -489
5. David Reynolds  2567 -709
6. Chaz Mostert 2288 -988
7. Fabian Coulthard 2282 -994
8. Rick Kelly 2242 -1034
9. Scott Pye 2182 -1094
10. Tim Slade 1970 -1306

TEAMS’ CHAMPIONSHIP POINTS

1. Triple Eight Race Engineering (Whincup/SVG) 6148   
2. Shell V-Power Racing Team  5539 -609
3. Tickford Racing (Mostert/Winterbottom) 4066 -2082
4. Brad Jones Racing 3921 -2227
5. Erebus Motorsport              3886 -2262
6. Walkinshaw Andretti United 3778 -2370
7. Nissan Motorsport (Kelly/Heimgartner) 3636 -2512
8. Garry Rogers Motorsport 3035 -3113
9. Triple Eight Race Engineering (Lowndes) 2787 -3361
10. Nissan NISMO (Caruso/De Silvestro) 2582 -3566

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=26709.msg119276#msg119276
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« on: October 08, 2018, 01:39:45 PM »

HTML ezBlock

site
stats