Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Danny O’Brien Score Spectacular Memorial Cup Win At Mohawk Raceway  (Read 4022 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.

Danny O’Brien Score Spectacular Memorial Cup Win At Mohawk Raceway

KINGSTON, Ont. – MAY 30, 2016 – Danny O’Brien got faster as the night wore on and drove past Billy Dunn to his second win of the season and first Memorial Cup win since 2014 on Friday night at Mohawk International Raceway.

The Kingston, Ont. native claimed the prestigious 50-lap event at the Hogansburg, NY track after passing Watertown, NY native Billy Dunn following a lap 42 restart. O’Brien’s win was the result of an improving car towards the end of the race, he said.

“We were getting better and we had a yellow at lap 42. When they dropped the green, at that point in the race my car was getting better every lap and we were able to run (Dunn) down,” O’Brien said following the victory.

“It’s kind of a neat race. I was able to win it two years ago, so it was one I had penciled in on my calendar that I really wanted to win, so it was nice to get it.”

Following his Memorial Cup win, O’Brien returned to his home Brockville Ontario Speedway on Saturday night for another 50-lap race in the first round of the Ogilvie’s Triple Crown Series. He finished fourth after some mid-race damage derailed his full effort.

“That was a bit of a struggle. We missed the setup just a little bit. We were too tight. I got messing around and about lap 20 we bent the front axle a little bit. It was a struggle the rest of the race. We just held on for fourth,” O’Brien said.

The pair of 50-lap races played in to O’Brien’s hand. O’Brien has grown to like the middle distance races. It’s longer than the usual 30-lap races, but shorter than 100-lap tour races.

“I like the 50 lap races. It’s only 20 more laps than usual, but it gives you a little extra time to settle in and get racing,” O’Brien said.

O’Brien claimed two wins in seven starts during the month of May, an impressive start to the young season for the veteran driver.

“It makes it all worthwhile when you do all that work over the winter and put in all the time and effort. To get two wins in May is good. Now we can move on in to June and try to keep it going,” an excited O’Brien said.

“It’s the whole package it takes to win. The guys are working hard right now, the car is working well. We’re putting a lot of effort in to every detail and it’s showing in our results.

O’Brien will return to action on Saturday night at Brockville as he continues his quest to defend the 358 Modified track championship.

Follow Danny O’Brien’s 2016 season on Facebook by ‘Liking’ his page at facebook.com/DannyOBrienRacing. The Danny O’Brien Racing team will debut a new website in the coming weeks.

Danny O’Brien’s 2016 DIRTcar 358 Modified season is supported by several dedicated corporate sponsors, including: 1000 Islands RV Centre, ATC World Class Trailers, Bob FM, Ambush, Pat’s Auto Centre, Bicknell Racing Products, Heather-Lynn Topping, Integra Shocks, Northwood 2 Construction, and Snap-On Adam Way.

Prepared By Clayton Johns Media
claytonjohns@hotmail.com

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=22633.msg115194#msg115194
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

HTML ezBlock

site
stats