Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Rumors for July 13th @ KD  (Read 3213 times)

Offline slapdown

• Series Owner
Rumors for July 13th @ KD
« on: July 12, 2007, 10:54:29 PM »
I have heard a rumor from a KD employee that Jeff Hanley is returning to the KD LM division this week driving for someone else. Could it be the new 88 of Dew Motorsports ? Talked to them last Friday and they said Dave Waite ( LLM 25 @ KD ) who drove double duty last week didn't like switching cars. They said they may be looking for someone to drive if Waite decided not to do the double every week. On a positive note the Dew crew did say they would be at the Downs every Friday ( both the 25 LLM and the 88 LM ). Also heard that the 46 of Brandon Mowat may have a new driver this week. Maybe running KD and Brighton on Saturdays is getting too much for him. Could that replacement be former Mowat driver Sam Hazelwood ? Those are just rumors and speculation but I'll report back on Friday.

In other KD news have heard quite a few KD regulars will be trying to make the September 15th ACT show at Kawartha. Point leader Jackson, Mercer, McHattie, Mowat, Brown, Thring and Mayhew all have the small crate and maybe a few big crate/built motor guys will put on the weight and give it a shot. I'll bet the ACT show has the biggest field of LM's Ontario has seen in quite some time.

KD results will be posted by midnight tomorrow. I work on a LM so results will concentrate on them but any results or news I can get for the other classes I will post as well.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6307.msg27125#msg27125

CanadianRacingOnline.com

Rumors for July 13th @ KD
« on: July 12, 2007, 10:54:29 PM »

Offline slapdown

• Series Owner
Re: Rumors for July 13th @ KD
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 12:16:03 AM »
As I suspected the Hanley rumor was just that, a rumor. The 46 did have a new driver though, Norm Mayhew. Norm has parked his car ( LM #60 ) due to lack of funding so Mowat fired his son as driver and told him to stick to Brighton. Norm will be running the car for the rest of the year.
Car counts were good tonight. 16 LLM, 15 LM, 18 Thunder and 20+ minis.
As I said above i will concentrate on the LM but will do what I can with the other divisions. #1 Parsons won the LLM feature with the 47 of Walters a non factor for the third week in a row. He finished 6th or 7th. I think the top 5 were 1, 20, 53, 82 and 22. Not real sure though. Great racing for 2nd thru 6th. Thunder had the 14 of Mayhew win but a hard wreck marred the event. The 7 of Sinopoli spun off 2 and the 57 of Boulerice hit him head on at full speed. It took quite some time to get Vince out of the car and I heard his face was pretty swollen up. Hopefully he feels OK tomorrow. Apologies but the only mini race report I saw was Kimmerly coming in on the hook with bad damage to both ends. Not sure who won.
In the LM feature Steve Robblee won in a cake walk. He had more motor ( by far ) than any of the KD regulars. He was followed by the 84 of Jackson, 99 Brown, 81 Mercer and 71 McHattie. The 15 cars on hand were the five mentioned plus 31 McPherson ( great to see him travel from Ottawa ), 88 McGrath ( dito for them ), 5 Moroney, 10 Morgan, 46 Mayhew, 55 Thring ( wrecked hard in 1 on openning lap of feature, 97 Toms, 01 Kimmerly, 29 Smith and 7 Sinopoli.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6307.msg27195#msg27195

Offline DWfan4ever

• Series Owner
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 12:30:21 AM »
To answer a couple of your points Slapdown/Andrew, 22 Delisle pulled off with like 2 laps to go so 98 Graham finished 5th in the LLM feature.  In the Mini division it was the 10 car of Dees winning with solid action up front in the closing laps. I must ask how the heck Robblee did not get put to the back when he drove Mayhew into the front stretch wall??  The spotter up top and the camera guy watched the replay and it was definitely the contact from Robblee that caused Norm to crash.  Can you confirm the frequency you are running for Brian's car as the one I got from Glenn Watson must not be right as I heard nothing on my scanner?

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6307.msg27196#msg27196

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 12:30:21 AM »

Offline slapdown

• Series Owner
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 06:15:48 PM »
Norm did seem a bit slower down the front stretch, Bryan pulled past him by 3 or 4 car lengths and with Robblees humpty motor he was probably on top of Norm before he knew what to do. I'll check on the frequencies but it may have been our radios last night not the frequency. In the semi the crew could here me fine but not Bryan and Bryan couldn't hear anything. In the feature my first radio screwed up with 10 to go. I changed to another but it didn't work either so Merc ran those last 10 laps side by side with McHattie with no radio. Guess I'm not really needed LOL.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6307.msg27250#msg27250

Offline nascar329

• Series Owner
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 08:53:01 PM »
Norm did seem a bit slower down the front stretch, Bryan pulled past him by 3 or 4 car lengths and with Robblees humpty motor he was probably on top of Norm before he knew what to do. I'll check on the frequencies but it may have been our radios last night not the frequency. In the semi the crew could here me fine but not Bryan and Bryan couldn't hear anything. In the feature my first radio screwed up with 10 to go. I changed to another but it didn't work either so Merc ran those last 10 laps side by side with McHattie with no radio. Guess I'm not really needed LOL.

I think the radios are not necessary anyway, does anyone not remember the old days "no radios" & drivers didn't seem to have any trouble  ::) AND more cars tooooooooooo with not so much expensive equipment ............ and $$$$ payouts have not caught up with the cost of racing  ::)

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6307.msg27257#msg27257

Offline slowel

• Series Owner
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 09:25:09 PM »
Nascar329 what's wrong with you ?Radios save cars and teams money,you must not be a racer.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6307.msg27258#msg27258

Offline Racechaser

• Series Owner
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 09:42:29 PM »
I don't like radios either, but with full containment seats, HANS and full face helmuts, they are necessary.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6307.msg27259#msg27259

Offline slapdown

• Series Owner
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 10:00:39 PM »
As long as the spotter doesn't drive the car I see no problem with them. And since we're on the KD board I have an opinion. If you run there and have a spotter, put him on the roof of the grandstand. That's where I spot from and I can't see why anyone would want to spot from the grandstands. I've heard the argument that small teams need the spotter in the pit area in case something goes wrong. Let's face it, in a 25 lap race if something goes wrong and you have to go pitside, you more than likely aren't going back out anyway. If it's a minor problem you may get out but minor things can be fixed by 1 or 2 crewmen. Besides if the spotter was on the roof he may save the car from getting into the problem in the first place. We got put up into the wall by McGrath in the semi and if Merc didn't back off when he did 5 or 6 cars would have been wrecked. I'm sure McGrath thought he had us cleared but his spotter was in the grandstand and couldn't see a thing. He was on the roof for the feature though. One more instance. One of the LM's that has a reputation, right or wrong, for hitting a few things has always had his spotter in the stands. Last week I convinced him to go on the roof so he could give the driver alot more feedback as to where the cars were around him. Remember, you can't see that great out of these things. The driver thought the added info helped him. They ran their best race of the season, clean and finished a very respectable 6th. Not saying the spotting was everything, but it didn't hurt. Besides helping the driver in avoiding contact we also help the program move a bit better by getting the driver in order during caution and keeping him informed of any trouble he or another driver is having. If a radio saves one crash it's worth it. Many crashes cost about $2500 to fix, the exact cost of a decent set of radios.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6307.msg27260#msg27260

Offline slapdown

• Series Owner
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 10:03:00 PM »

Offline Racechaser

• Series Owner
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 11:58:03 PM »
Because they are expensive. $2500 isn't a good set - try $6000.
They are expensive to maintain - new batteries every couple a years, lost or broken parts, theft, etc.
Most spotters that I know should be driving the car - they never shut up.
But like I said before, they are a necessary evil.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6307.msg27263#msg27263

Offline mike32

• Series Owner
  • Last of the Time Lords
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 10:35:12 AM »
the whole DIRT organization dropped two way radio in races under two hundred laps because of two much radio driving being done by spotters, but they do use a simple one way from race control which, in most cases, is a $200 scanner. Race control can announce cautions and details and reline cars in fast order. I look at the dirt car counts compared to asphalt and I think I see who went the right direction (dirt mods and lm's do not use mirrors either)

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6307.msg27288#msg27288

HTML ezBlock

site
stats