Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Hoar Wins Big, Sends Championship Message  (Read 659 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
Hoar Wins Big, Sends Championship Message
« on: September 02, 2012, 07:17:39 PM »

Gonyaw, Pilotte Pick up Feature Wins

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                                                                                   ACT – 090212

Barre, VT – Eight-time Champion Brian Hoar made it clear his championship defense was far from over on Sunday afternoon at Thunder Road, claiming the clutch victory in the 34th Annual Bond Auto Labor Day Classic. Current point leader Wayne Helliwell, Jr. made him earn it, finishing a close second, and three-time Thunder Road track champion Cris Michaud rounded out the podium finishers.

Rookie Jimmy Hebert led the way early until a lap 33 caution when Helliwell spun in turn three.  Hebert retained the lead following the restart, but was overpowered by Joey Polewarczyk, Jr. on lap 54 of the event.  His lead, however, was short-lived when a hard charging Brent Dragon charged from the tenth starting position to take the lead on lap 68. 

The strategy chess match began on lap 71, when struggling point leader Helliwell, who was on the verge of going a lap down, ducked down pit road along with Hoar, Michaud, multi-time champion Phil Scott, seven-time ACT Champion Jean Paul Cyr, and others. 

As the green flag laps continued, the strategies began to play out as Hoar and Helliwell sliced through the field on their way to the front.  By lap 113, the pair was at the head of the pack: Hoar riding the very rim of the track and Helliwell planted firmly on the bottom.  The duo had the crowd on their feet until lap 164 when a caution brought hometown favorites Scott Payea and Michaud to the mix.  Payea and Michaud took turns at the eight-time Champion, but both came away empty handed while Hoar refused to give up the top lane.  With 20-laps to go the gloves came off as Helliwell jumped back into the fight.  Payea faded, and a desperate Helliwell muscled by Michaud for second with just four laps remaining and escaped with a slim 8-point lead over Hoar unofficially. Polewarczyk took home fourth with Fort Kent, ME’s Austin Theriault finishing fifth.  Brooks Clark, Dragon, Rookie Ben Lynch, Payea, and 2012 King of the Road Nick Sweet rounded out the top ten.

The race was slowed by five cautions, and was completed in 1 hour, 6 minutes and 33 seconds.  Hoar has already been invited to the Bond Auto ACT Invitational at New Hampshire Motor Speedway on September, 22. 

Hoar looked unstoppable in victory lane. “We got really lucky with pit strategy, and I have to thank my car owner Rick for that,” said Hoar. “That was a ton of fun, I love the new outside lane here at Thunder Road.  Racing with Wayne is just great, what a class act,” he finished.

Bond Auto Tiger Sportsman driver Randy Gonyaw had to earn his second win of the year, surviving an attack from top drivers Bobby Therrien and David Finck who finished in three way battle for the win.  Milton’s Eric Badore took home fourth, and point leader Brendan Moodie, Jr. rounded out the top five. 

Gonyaw came under attack early from two-time 2012 feature winner Chris Pelkey, who beat and banged Gonyaw for the lead in the early laps.  After a lap 7 caution, “Double O” Joe Steffen and David Finck began their march to the front of the field.  High point driver Jason Allen and Josh Demers were well on their way to the front, but with three laps to go Allen spun in front of the field in a brutal front-stretch wreck collecting Demers. Gonyaw got the early jump for the three-lap shootout, but it was Bobby Therrien swinging high and wide trying to claim the win on the top side as the race came to a close.  Therrien was a half-car back from a sideways Gonyaw when the checkers flew. 

Gonyaw was speechless in victory lane. “I don’t even know what to say,” said Gonyaw. “I really thought I was going into the infield for a second there, I just can’t believe it,” he finished.

The Allen Lumber Street Stocks saw a pivotal championship message sent by point-leader Nick Pilotte, who won his second feature in a row on Sunday evening.  Pilotte was chased to the line by fellow top three point runners from 2011 Bunker Hodgdon and defending Champion Greg Adams to complete the podium.

The race was slowed by two early cautions for spins, allowing teen sensation Emily Packard to climb her way to the third position by lap 7.  Packard and veteran racer Marvin Johnson battled for second behind pole-sitter Keith Fortier until a lap 14 yellow.  Packard used the outside groove to steal the lead, but was followed closely by Pilotte.  Pilotte carefully waited for his moment, diving to the inside when a hole presented itself and powering to the victory.  He survived a late-race restart when first-year driver Bob Eldred hit the turn four wall, vaulting into the air before getting pummeled in the door by Morrisville’s Dan Lathrop, claiming both cars.  Packard fell to fourth in a tight last lap battle with Adams, and Morrisville’s Jamie Davis rounded out the top five.

The American Canadian Tour is back in action for the Bond Auto ACT Invitational on Saturday, September 22 at New Hampshire Motor Speedway.  Many of the stars of the ACT Tour will then head to Thunder Road on Sunday, September 30 for the 50th People’s United Bank Milk Bowl, where they will be joined by final championship races for both the Bond Auto Tiger Sportsmen, and Allen Lumber Street Stocks.  Post time is 1:00pm. 

Bond Auto Labor Day Classic – Unofficial Results

Thunder Road Int’l Speedbowl – Barre, VT
Sunday, September 02, 2012

American Canadian Tour Championship Late Models – Unofficial Results

Pos. (Start) Driver Car # Hometown

1. (5) Brian Hoar 37VT Williston, VT
2. (9) Wayne Helliwell Jr. 27NH Dover, NH
3. (25) Cris Michaud 6VT E. Montpelier, VT
4. (8 ) Joey Polewarczyk Jr. 97NH Hudson, NH
5. (29) Austin Theriault 57ME Fort Kent, ME
6. (6) Brooks Clark 68VT Fayston, VT
7. (10) Brent Dragon 55VT Milton, VT
8. (16) #Ben Lynch 7NC Derry, NH
9. (20) Scott Payea 89VT Milton, VT
10. (7) Nick Sweet 88VT Barre, VT
11. (1) #Jimmy Hebert 58VT Williamstown, VT
12. (3) Cody Blake 99VT Barre, VT
13. (11) Glen Luce 7ME Turner, ME
14. (23) Phil Scott 14VT Berlin, VT
15. (12) Randy Potter 02NH Groveton, NH
16. (17) Dave Pembroke 44VT Middlesex, VT
17. (15) Joey Laquerre 15VT E. Montpelier, VT
18. (4) Ray Parent 17RI Tiverton, RI
19. (19) Jamie Fisher 18VT Shelburne, VT
20. (2) Jean-Paul Cyr 32VT Milton, VT
21. (13) Trampas Demers 85VT South Burlington, VT
22. (14) Scott Dragon 16NY Colchester, VT
23. (28) Jamie Aube 41VT No. Ferrisburg, VT
24. (21) Rowland Robinson, Jr. 28ME Birch Harbor, ME
25. (30) Ricky Rolfe 51ME Albany Twp, ME
26. (24) Eric Williams 7VT Hyde Park, VT
27. (18) Eric Chase 40VT Milton, VT
28. (22) Luke Hinkley 31NH Claremont, NH
29. (27) Lance Allen 17VT Barre, VT
30. (26) Chip Grenier 9VT Graniteville, VT

Lap Leaders: Jean Paul Cyr (1), Jimmy Hebert (2-53), Joey Polewarczyk, Jr. (54-67), Brent Dragon (68-81), Dave Pembroke (82-90) Dragon (91-107), Brian Hoar (108-200)                                                                     

Time of Race: 1:06:33                                                                                     
Margin of Victory: 1.126 seconds                                                                                             
Cautions: 5 (Lap 33, 71, 81, 120, 163 )                                                                                       

Heat Winners: Wayne Helliwell, Jr., David Pembroke, Joey Polewarczyk, Jr., Brent Dragon                           

Consi Winners: Scott Payea, Brooks Clark                                                                                             

B Feature: Cris Michaud                                                                                               

Bond Auto Tiger Sportsmen – Unofficial Results

Pos. (Car #) Driver, Hometown

1. (22) Randy Gonyaw S. Barre, VT
2. (4) Bobby Therrien Hinesburg, VT
3. (90) David Finck Barre, VT
4. (4) Eric Badore Milton, VT
5. (94) Brendan Moodie Wolcott, VT
6. (26) Mike Ziter Williamstown, VT
7. (2) John Lambert Northfield, VT
8. () Joe Steffen Grand Isle, VT
9. (61) Jason Corliss Barre, VT
10. (1) Scott Coburn Barre, VT
11. (31) Shawn Fleury Middlesex, VT
12. (68) #Jason Woodard Waterbury Ctr., VT
13. (85) Adam Pierson East Corinth, VT
14. (9) #Chris Roberts Washington, VT
15. (71) Darrell Morin Essex Jct., VT
16. (64) Christopher Pelkey S. Barre, VT
17. (27) Kyle Pembroke Montpelier, VT
18. (10) Josh Demers Middlesex, VT
19. (14) Doug Crowningshield Barre, VT
20. (5) #Josh Payea Georgia, VT
21. (7) Dylan Payea Henniker, NH
22. (1) Mike Martin Craftsbury Comm., VT
23. (60) Jeff Bousqet 0
24. (29) Jason Allen Barre, VT
25. (97) Steve Denio 0
26. (33) Alex Ferno E. Montpelier, VT

Allen Lumber Street Stocks – Unofficial Results

Pos. (Car #) Driver, Hometown

1. (11) Nick Pilotte Jefferson, NH
2. (83) Bunker Hodgdon Hardwick, VT
3. (42) Greg Adams Jr. Hardwick, VT
4. (98) Emily Packard E. Montpelier, VT
5. (43) Jamie Davis Wolcott, VT
6. (0) Stephen Hodgdon 0
7. (33) #Kevin Wheatley Brookfield, VT
8. (35) Keith Fortier Hinesburg, VT
9. (8 ) #Kevin Dodge Barre, VT
10. (47) William Hennequin Morrisville, VT
11. (90) Cameron Ouellette Barre, VT
12. (29) Gary Mullen Tunbridge, VT
13. (77) Dave Whitcomb Elmore, VT
14. (50) Tommy Smith Williamstown, VT
15. (39) Troy Kingsbury Waitsfield, VT
16. (75) Joe Fecteau Hardwick, VT
17. (32) #Daniel Brassard E. Randolph, VT
18. (46) #Paul Grant E. Calais, VT
19. (23) Mike MacAskill Williamstown, VT
20. (92) Garry Bashaw Lincoln, VT
21. (31) Bob Eldred Waterbury, VT
22. (6) Daniel Lathrop Morrisville, VT
23. (59) Scott Maynard Burlington, VT
24. (10) Alan Maynard Fairfax, VT
25. (24) Marvin Johnson Essex Jct., VT
26. (25) Jennifer Getty Cambridge, VT
27. (05) Donnie Yates N. Montpelier, VT
28. (09) Amanda Habel Roxbury, VT
29. (16) #Dean Switser Jr. Lyndonville, VT
30. (88) #Tommy Elwood Morrisville, VT

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=16314.msg104669#msg104669
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« on: September 02, 2012, 07:17:39 PM »

HTML ezBlock

site
stats