Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Ontario’s Sunset Speedway Joins NASCAR  (Read 24960 times)

Offline MarkDilley

• Team Owner
Re: Ontario’s Sunset Speedway Joins NASCAR
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 12:25:02 AM »
That is the biggest bunch of S it I have ever heard in my life everyone that paid for memberships has had a check written back to them in fact we handed 97 of them out on the weekend to the drivers that showed up to meetings and who ever could not make the meetings will be able to make arrangements to get them when it is good for them have you guys lost your minds like we would keep peoples money give your head a shake as for the other comment from Ross I think we still have a cheque of yours from last year u never picked.
To answer the question for Murray 15 day temp Nascar Lic Drivers Division 1 Late Model $50, Division 2 Super Stock $25, Division 3 Mini Stock $25 any crew member going in to the infield is $25 if you are not going into infield you do not need to have a NASCAR lic so to sum it up if you came in a Super Stock in 2014 and wanted to run one night you would have to pay $125 to reg plus $28 dollars to get in on three people one driver and two crew in infield that would be $84 totaling $209 if you come this year you would have to buy three lic one driver and two crew for infield $75 and you would pay $75 to get in totaling $150 so the way I see it it is $59 cheaper this year to do the same thing.
Mark

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=20591.msg113021#msg113021

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 12:25:02 AM »

Offline cardriver

• Car Owner
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 02:37:20 AM »
That is the biggest bunch of S it I have ever heard in my life everyone that paid for memberships has had a check written back to them

Isn't that called a purse?

I don't think that statement is even correct. If you bought a membership to Sunset, but never ran a race (i.e the guys in the points standings with zero points), then you wouldn't get a cheque back as you would not have won the purse for any position or qualified for a point fund.

I'm not really sure what your point is? Sunset like every other track pays a purse, I don't think that was every debated.... So now you can pay $$$$ in NA$CAR licensing on top to win the same purse and run the same race you did last year.

other comment from Ross I think we still have a cheque of yours from last year u never picked.

Well Mark, I think you may have caught yourself in a a bit of a less than the truth with that statement. If I had purchased a membership for the one night I ran, as you said everyone had to do, then wouldn't you have my address to mail the cheque to from the registration??? ;)

Thanks but keep the cheque, I had long forgotten about it. I understand a track needs to make money to keep their doors open, so I'm not going to nickle and dime you - ironically doing that I still come out ahead over having to have paid the extra NASCAR license fees on that night, and I'd much rather have my donation support the local track, than some millionaire in Florida. ;) My thinking here is a car costs a shitload to run, a track costs a shitload to run, why bust each other's balls to line NA$CAR's pockets?

If you think its a smart business decision to increase front gate, why not take the NA$CAR fees out of your increased revenue there, rather than off the backs of your drivers? Or is it just a shell game where the drivers finance their own point fund, with the part timers coming up short, and the golden boy champ getting the coin from them..

I think we both can sit here and twist numbers until the cows come home. So why don't you put all the rumors to rest and let the guys decide by posting the NA$CAR license costs on your site? If its really cheaper to run as you claim, I'd think that is front page news.. And be a bit more truthful about the membership after 1 night, I mean how hard is it to ask another guy(s) you know who one ran a night or so to confirm? If you can post the cost for a pit pad rental, why not the cost a guy is going to have to fork over at the back gate?

Let cold hard cash do the talking, and guys to decide out of their wallets if its really cheaper this year.

Best of luck.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=20591.msg113022#msg113022

Offline MarkDilley

• Team Owner
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 08:01:06 AM »
Nascar Reg fees are for the Driver Late model $200, Super Stock $100, Mini Stock $100 and any crew member going into the infield to pit a car is $100 to go into the reg pit area there is no lic fee.
I am glad you think you got away with not paying that is the rule so if you feel threw the crack good for you I don't know how we would not notice that rocket but things happen but I will tell you one thing don't knock my staff in anyway and as far as the liar thing well I guess we will see how that works out.
Good Luck to you 

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=20591.msg113024#msg113024

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 08:01:06 AM »

Offline Mid America Motorsports

• Pit Crew
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 11:38:30 AM »
Hey Mark, I have no need to bust your chops on your entry fee's and just like you, there have been many tracks to tryout the Nascar Lic. deal, a few stayed with it and a bunch got out of it. I dont see the benefits to joining the Nascar deal- but thats more so because I dont see the benifits of becoming a Nascar Track Member.
I could be wrong....

Instead of going back and forth on the money end of it, do me and all of your racers a favour and explain the benifits of becoming a Nascar Lic. Track. If there are pros & cons to it please point them out.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=20591.msg113025#msg113025

Offline Steviebird31

• Pit Crew
    • York National Realty Inc. Brokerage
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 01:58:02 PM »
 I don't understand why you guys are bitching to Mark about the cost of Nascar membership.

How much do you guys pay for one Late model tire???? Nickel and dimers.

This is cheap compared to other racing formats.

Sunset  gave every registered driver his or her $75.00 and then we paid our Sunset Nascar licence of $100.00.

Mark reduced the regular gate price to $25 form $28 for the regular points night races savings of $36.00 per person.

So with the exchange rate it cost us a whopping $14.00 more OMG don't break the bank.

What you get from Nascar??

Insurance policy for one no other track offers that.

One of the biggest Brand logo's in North America.

Local TV and Online streaming coverage of our races.

Nascar banners on Yonge street and around the local area, that will bring more people to the track.

Use of Nascar logos for hero cards and sponsorship fundraising, which will make recouping that $14.00 increase easier.

So in all I believe its a great venture for Sunset to have entered into with Nascar.

Now you are going to say well it didn't help Barrie.

Barrie didn't have the same vision nor management that Sunset has.

Barrie really never improved the track or grand stands, the food was terrible.

Also location was 45 mins further north from the GTA.

Looking forward to the BEST SEASON  of stock racing at the BEST TRACK, NASCAR SUNSET SPEEDWAY in Ontario ever!!!!!!

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=20591.msg113028#msg113028
You can only score on the shots you take!

Offline cardriver

• Car Owner
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 08:10:15 PM »
I am glad you think you got away with not paying that is the rule so if you feel threw the crack good for you I don't know how we would not notice that rocket but things happen but I will tell you one thing don't knock my staff in anyway and as far as the liar thing well I guess we will see how that works out.
Good Luck to you 

Two correction Mark, it wasn't a rocket, it was a cheater ;)

Second, I'm not knocking any of your staff. Let me be very clear about that. I think they followed the rules, which was to not charge membership until the 3rd night (or 2nd if I am incorrect), this wasn't the opinion of one rouge staff member, but rather everyone I spoke to. Your staff is top notch, which leads me to believe their judgement as fact, you are the one questioning them, not me. And to be honest I think you are top notch too - with the exception of in my view not telling the truth to make the NA$CAR surcharge look like a deal. If you don't want to believe me then I would ask Charlie Smith, Daryl Fice, Tom Podd, Frank Davey, or Rick Walt as examples of those who I seriously doubt paid a membership to run limited nights.

I think we are getting to to point of beating a dead horse. My point is it sucks to charge drivers more, for in my view nothing. Your point is its cheaper and better under NA$CAR. Lets let the season decide who what right. ;) Forget the who has the balls phone call, drop by my site again this year at AC and whoever is right, owes the other a beer. Fair enough?

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=20591.msg113030#msg113030

Offline cardriver

• Car Owner
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 08:27:48 PM »
How much do you guys pay for one Late model tire???? Nickel and dimers.

Point there is racing is expensive enough as it is. Races are not a bottomless pit of money. If you have spent your last dollar on late model tire, which many do do, and its expensive enough already why add more cost.

This is cheap compared to other racing formats.

Yeah like what? And where is the registration form?

Sunset  gave every registered driver his or her $75.00 and then we paid our Sunset Nascar licence of $100.00.

This makes no sense. If Sunset is going to give you $75 towards a $100 memebership, then its $25 ($100 - $75) out of your pocket for a full season memebership. Why would anyone then pay $50 for one night as Mark has stated the temp membership is worth?

Mark reduced the regular gate price to $25 form $28 for the regular points night races savings of $36.00 per person.

Personally I would rather the back gate be left at $28 costing me $3 more, than having to pay $50 extra for a NASCAR membership.

So with the exchange rate it cost us a whopping $14.00 more OMG don't break the bank.

No the exchange rate on a $50 CND temp membership and a $25 CND crew membership is 0 making the cost of those $50 and $25 respectively.

Insurance policy for one no other track offers that.

LOL which will cover what? LOL

One of the biggest Brand logo's in North America.

I could stick a Coke sticker on my car for free

Local TV and Online streaming coverage of our races.

Oh yeah, so where can I find the Barrie races? Where was the coverage of Barrie?

Nascar banners on Yonge street and around the local area, that will bring more people to the track.

That's nice. But as a contractor to the track, why would should I have to pay for the promotion of NA$CAR and the track? Its not like if they draw and extra 100 people from this promotion the purse goes up.

Use of Nascar logos for hero cards and sponsorship fundraising, which will make recouping that $14.00 increase easier.

Where did you get $14???

Now you are going to say well it didn't help Barrie.

No because I don't need to state the obvious.

Barrie didn't have the same vision nor management that Sunset has. 

No they didn't. And I'd suggest that Barrie having NA$CAR while Sunset didn't is proof NA$CAR is not of much use.

Barrie really never improved the track or grand stands, the food was terrible.

We all like Sunset. But lets be honest, their grand stand or small slices of pizza are not their defining features. Barrie's burger was darn good.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=20591.msg113031#msg113031

Offline murray

• Series Owner
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2015, 09:16:57 PM »

Offline Steviebird31

• Pit Crew
    • York National Realty Inc. Brokerage
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 09:25:04 PM »
Race forms

http://goodwoodkartways.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/2015_TRAK_Membership_Application.pdf

That's just the membership fees plus race day per class $70.00 and practise days are $50.00.
None Members pay $80.00 per class on race days.
And you get no Pay out just a plastic trophy.

They gave back our sunset $75.00 and we paid $100 USA for the new Sunset Nascar Licence. Less the gate discount is the $14 increase.
Haven't read the policy yet but I am sure theirs something.
Nascar Brand name will help acquire additional car sponsorship.  

If you came to the meeting Sunset will be one of six tracks Nascar will have live streaming videos.
Barrie was on Rogers channel 10 TV in the Barrie area. Just like local hockey.

Mark and the group are paying for the bill boards and banners.
This management group will maximise the NASCAR Brand and it will totally pay off in the long run.

So if you want to stay at others tracks have no people in the stands for your sponsors and have small car counts, Then so be it.

But if you want to be part of the biggest and best show in Ontario, then pay the temp membership and come racing.
Don't fear change embrace it!!!
Bogie D bogie D let's go racing boys ;D

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=20591.msg113033#msg113033
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 09:26:42 PM by Steviebird31 »
You can only score on the shots you take!

Offline cardriver

• Car Owner
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 02:45:19 AM »
http://goodwoodkartways.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/2015_TRAK_Membership_Application.pdf

That's just the membership fees plus race day per class $70.00 and practise days are $50.00.
None Members pay $80.00 per class on race days.
And you get no Pay out just a plastic trophy.

Lets ignore that the carting membership is $100 and the Sunset Membership was $125 and now is $200 (plus $100 per crew) which is more not less. You are really trying to say it costs more to run a Cart? LOL

Let me help you out. It cost about $1,300 CND to register for a CHUMP car race and there is no payout. So Sunset is undercharging about $1,000 bucks for their NA$CAR membership - guess everyone should run out a spend this new found money. See I can play the "pay more but its saving your money" game too :)

They gave back our sunset $75.00 and we paid $100 USA for the new Sunset Nascar Licence. Less the gate discount is the $14 increase.

Fawk. Is everyone's day job here writing the script for those "free" Your Captain Is Calling - won a free vacation calls? Trying to twist what someone really has to pay with word games and screwed up math?

$125 Sunset Memebership - $75 returned = $75 paid + $125 CND ($100 USD) = $200

So it was $125 membership in 2014 now its a $200 membership, that is $75 not increase for the car alone over 2014.

PLUS THE ADDED COST OF BUYING THE REQUIRED NASCAR MEMBERSHIPS FOR YOUR CREW WHICH IS $100 per CREW MEMBER. That there alone is hundreds more.

Which begs the question - what do you get for that extra money. To which someone like yourself, who attended the meeting can only answer "Haven't read the policy yet but I am sure their is something". Hint, there isn't....

Nascar Brand name will help acquire additional car sponsorship.  

Lets get real about sponsorship. 99% of sponsors are your friends. Big name late model drivers are without sponsors. NA$CAR can't find sponsors for themselves at their Cup level or even to sponsor their former Canadian Tire Series. And you think sponsor are going to somehow be lining up to sponsor some mini-stock because there is the NA$CAR name?

Please get real. Any company that naive is going to be disappointed when they figure out you are not racing Dale Jr. Or if they try to stretch the involvement of sponsoring "NASCAR" rather than Joe Dirt in his mini, and they get a call from NA$CAR's lawyers. Ask Evan about his CASCAR trademark experience. 

If you came to the meeting Sunset will be one of six tracks Nascar will have live streaming videos.

Oh really. So NASCAR is sending a crew to do this, and this said video will be on NASCAR.com?

Or is it some dude with a camera streaming a Go Pro to some free streaming site, as any Joe Blow can do these days for next to nothing?

Even if your wishful thinking was true, that would mean it is the drivers paying to put themselves on TV/Streaming, which is weak, sad and kinda pathetic.

Barrie was on Rogers channel 10 TV in the Barrie area. Just like local hockey.

You know what channel 10 is right? Its the free public broadcast channel. In their own words from their site "If you would like Rogers TV to cover your event, there is no charge to you or your group to record and broadcast your event." http://www.rogerstv.com/page.aspx?rid=23&lid=11

So if we ignore the fact that Barrie was covered by Channel 10 in the old days before NA$CAR, at best NA$CAR's involvement in getting the racing televised was to make a free request which any person could do themselves for free.

Why does this membership that has so many befits (yet no one can name them), have to be justified by stretching the truth that a free service was somehow their work?

So if you want to stay at others tracks have no people in the stands for your sponsors and have small car counts, Then so be it.

That could have been said about Sunset prior to NA$CAR.

So what you are saying is NA$CAR might put more fans in the stands?

Hey you might be correct about that. But my question is why is it the responsibility of the driver to pay for that, rather than the track itself from the increased revenues they are getting?

If NA$CAR really is the cat's ass it should be paying for itself and then some - not drivers paying 100's more.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=20591.msg113034#msg113034
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 03:21:19 AM by cardriver »

Offline cardriver

• Car Owner
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 03:18:00 AM »
Here is the big question...

Lest say Coke decided to sponsor Sunset and make it a "Coke Family Racetrack" - which by SPONSORING a track they are hoping to promote their brand, and attract more attention to the track further promoting their brand.

If drivers were forced to pay more for a track sponsor, like the Coke example - say pay $100 per person just to have a pit crew because Coke's name is on the track - wouldn't they be really pissed off? WTF makes NA$CAR so special here when really all they are doing is the same thing?

Are you really foolish enough to think its really a "license" which put you somehow on the same level a Jeff Gordon, rather than twisting words and simply paying money to a track sponsor for some strange reason?

Something to ponder.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=20591.msg113035#msg113035
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 03:24:59 AM by cardriver »

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 08:03:24 AM »
cardriver you don't even race anymore so why are you so concerned what they are doing at sunset. People pay the license or not it's up to them. I don't see any drivers complaining about it.

It is what it is.

NASCAR is the biggest name in racing like it or not.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=20591.msg113036#msg113036
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

Offline MarkDilley

• Team Owner
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2015, 08:54:49 AM »
Just one of the returns from NASCAR and there sponsors points funds went up $36725 so when you put that on top off Sunsets points fund that totals $64470 not bad go to the web and check it out so it is not all take these are numbers that you don't see very often in local racing.
NASCAR LIC very easy $200 Late Model Driver everything else is $100 there is NO track registration fee, (2014 numbers Late $175, Super $125, Mini $75).
On the sponsorship part I don't think you want to get into that with me and the importance of brand awareness and ROI at any level so lets just leave that one and as you said lets see at the end of the year I will be coming for my beer, you have a good summer.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=20591.msg113037#msg113037

Offline ernie

• Contributing Members
  • Series Owner
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2015, 04:25:34 PM »
You'll never please everyone Mark. Don't feed the wildlife. You'll eventually get bit. I for one think you and your team have done a tremendous job with Sunset and I was crawling around under those bleachers when the track was first scratched out of the dirt.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=20591.msg113039#msg113039

Offline tomcat

• Race Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2015, 05:00:35 PM »
In Reply to Cardriver Tom PODD # 17 Super Stock was a Registered  car at Sunset SPEEDWAY last year . You have to pay if you want to play.Cheers TOMCAT

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=20591.msg113040#msg113040

HTML ezBlock

site
stats