Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Delaware Board - Please...Introduce yourself!  (Read 68495 times)

Offline Eeracer3

• Pit Crew
Re: Please...Introduce yourself!
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 12:30:25 AM »
 In 1975 & 76 we had a white car. In 77 white/blue and gold in 78. I went street stock racing in 79 in a 66 Beaumont #72 then in the #42 Joyco 64 Chevelle in 80. Then I moved to Oshawa and lost track of Ike.
   I hope I didn't ruin a good memory. If you thought that was your dad's car. We'd built that car from scratch and it was probably our best. Although Fuzz's first car, the white one, was probably the most successful.
   There was good racing back then and it got better for Delaware, when Tony took over in 79. We had 75 street stocks and only 24 made the feature. Young guy's like Steve Robblie, Rob Clark, Bill Rowse Jr. and many more, got started racing veterans like Ron Ling and Doug Purdie and eventually Ike Henry and George Wall. 
    You may be too young to remember the Carling O'Keefe Series, but it and the Export 'A' Series were the start of ASA. Those were the days that the NCTS needs to duplicate. Drivers from the mid western states taking on our best. Big fields and the feeling of something big was happening.   

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=9739.msg67889#msg67889
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 01:04:02 AM by Eeracer3 »

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 12:30:25 AM »

Offline Shadowracer

• Global Moderator
  • Series Owner
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 11:21:29 AM »
You may be too young to remember the Carling O'Keefe Series, but it and the Export 'A' Series were the start of ASA. Those were the days that the NCTS needs to duplicate. Drivers from the mid western states taking on our best. Big fields and the feeling of something big was happening.

Oh, I remember the Export A series, although through the eyes of a kid. Basically I remember it as those nights when the pits were full of Late Models...we called them "specials" when Ross, Hanley, Biederman etc would come and do like 100 lappers or twin 50's. (The days of Jr and Don coming every week here were still a couple years away...if I recall, Delaware only ran limiteds on a regular basis at the time.)

But I remember a few other cars too, like Brian Setterington and Howie Scannell.

And actually, that old compact class was my favorite, with Shaxon in the purple Gremlin, Ike, and Taze Palmer. (I didn't know it was Taze at the time though...I always thought his name was Wacky Webster  :))

Unfortunately, I don't think they can ever duplicate what went on back then. The racing world has changed too much. If every track was running the same late models like they did back then, then maybe. But I don't ever see that happening. All attempts at re-unification have failed thus far, and even if it had, the money's just not there to bring out mercenary race car drivers who make a living going track to track. And NCTS is insular, and has its own kind of race car, so there's nowhere else to draw from.

But hey, Delaware's got a good program right now, and the SW Ontario racing community is starting to take notice...so I think we're all right down here. It's still the place to be on Friday night.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=9739.msg67897#msg67897
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 11:31:18 AM by Shadowracer »
CHECK OUT THE "SHADOW REPORT" GROUP ON FACEBOOK FOR LIVE RACE PICS AND UPDATES

Offline Eeracer3

• Pit Crew
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 11:39:25 PM »
 Those were the good ole days. Guy's like Norm Lelliott' Ed Howe, Bob Seneker, Jerry "the Bear" Makara, Jim Shipway , Mark Martin, Dick Trickle and Benny Parsons and so many more were a pleasure to see and left great memories.
   Remember Jim Fenwick, he died way too young and was one hell of a racer. Then there was Marsh and Grant Manning, Ron Pearn, Ralph Featherstone, Mo Merner, Doug Crocker,  Bill Rowse Sr., Bob Wood and his brother Sam on wrenches and the list goes on an on. They sure were big times!   

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=9739.msg67922#msg67922
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 06:11:47 PM by Eeracer3 »

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 11:39:25 PM »

Offline Supermart70

• Race Fan
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 06:41:03 PM »
Wow......I remember ALL of these names. I lived within a mile or 2 of the track all through my childhood. Mom and Dad both used to race here in the 60s and early 70s. Dad (Bob Truax) drove sportsman and compacts when I started going. He had a red #1 in the sportsman and drove the purple #2 gremlin owned by Bill Robinson from Delaware in the compacts. He also drove a white #2 the year sportsman and compact ran together for Bill Robinson. He had several cars before that but I don't remember them. Mom,(Chris) drove a red #6 in the powder puffs. 4 major events I remember from the early years was Tiny Tim Wilkins going over the wall in turn 2, Butch Fedewa going through the billboard in turn 2 with his super, Bill Galbraith flipping down the front stretch in his limited stock (he took out the string of lights at the finish line) and Leo Koppens bad wreck in turn 1. My favorites from back then were Lelliot in the #57 super late model, McCllroy in the orange # 4 stang in limiteds and Fenwick in the #5 pinto compact. (besides dad of course) Dad and Al Patrick were always good friends and still are and they did a lot of the construction work at the track in the early years. Dad had bulldozers and dump trucks working there. I can remember them putting in the dirt strip in for the tractor pulls one year. (remember the super spook tractor ?). Jim Patrick and I grew up on the hill together. Shadow, we must have been standing in the same line ups at Bert Lauzons souvenir shop back then. HAHA. I wonder if Tim Vogel still has a lot of his old pics from back in the day. I'd love to see them.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=9739.msg68019#msg68019
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 06:53:18 PM by Supermart70 »

Offline Shadowracer

• Global Moderator
  • Series Owner
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 08:00:27 AM »
Hah..another track rugrat. We're talking the same era so we must be aournd the same age. I remember Butch Fedewas pirouette from the track to the billboard. (and the delay that followed) and I remember that guy flipping down the fontstretch...though up till now I didn't know who it was.

Anyway, thanks for joining up Supermart. Every once in a while we get to yarning, and its good to have another track rat on board.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=9739.msg68041#msg68041

Truckracer

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 01:04:31 PM »
Wow Supermart70, I was just thinking about all of those incidents just yesterday when I was reading some of the other postings! My grandmother was with the St John's ambulance crew every week at Delaware, I remember her telling us how Bill Galbraith was doing after the races. It's funny but the one thing that really stands out about that crash is the car taking out the lights across the track, just as you mentioned!
I think I still have the original weekly program from when "Tiny" Tim Wilkins went over the fence!

My dad (Larry Schnittker) raced in the late 60's and 70's first with a hobby car and ending up as a "Rat Racer". Him and Bill Thompson raced together out of Lobo. Dad also grew up around Jack Sharpe and was always hanging around his shop in the village.

I used to sit in my dad's lap and help steer the car to the track as they used to pull it there with a chain behind an old station wagon...I guess there was no way to avoid
being a race fan after that!
I remember corn roasts every night in the summer in the pits after the races and running around the track endlessly as a young boy.

George Jelfs who ran an Amature Sportsman (hobby car) is my cousin and so is Larry Knott from Nilestown.

I don't thinks I missed a race from about 1968 to 1974.
We moved to Sask. for 3 yrs but ended up moving back to London and eventually Lobo so I was able to continue going to the track that I love so much.
It was the first place (legally) I went when I got my drivers licence and eventually I ended up running a season of enduro's before building a truck the first year they went full time. I ran for 5 years and it was the most fun I ever had

We used to play a game in the car on the way to the races, the first one to spot the light's or grandstands as we were driving up to the track got a brand new checkered flag from the souvenir booth. I now play this game with my 2 son's but I usually buy them both something anyway....!

Awesome idea hearing about who people are and their expreiences with DSP.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=9739.msg68050#msg68050

Offline Shadowracer

• Global Moderator
  • Series Owner
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 04:10:11 PM »
Well Truckracer, this pic should be right up your alley! Anyone you know? (this is actually from Nilestown)

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=9739.msg68058#msg68058
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 04:12:17 PM by Shadowracer »

Truckracer

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 10:18:32 AM »
Absolutely! That's an awsome picture! Is that "Rick's Banana" chasing him down?

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=9739.msg68324#msg68324

Offline Shadowracer

• Global Moderator
  • Series Owner
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 10:24:31 AM »
Indeed it is. We used to have a picture of the 18 car when it had a homespun coupe body similar to the 6...but its been lost to the ages unfortunately.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=9739.msg68325#msg68325

Offline Eeracer3

• Pit Crew
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 05:06:58 PM »
WOW you guy's really know how to bring back the memories. Supermart70 I remember your Mom and Dad. I remember the corn roast and not leaving until the sun came up. Who did tiny Tim go over? Hint he later drove the orange crate. I visited Bill Galbraith in the hospital. The car landed on his arm. Window nets became mandatory after that. Last I saw him he was racing in Florida, in the early 80s. I was working in the pit tower at the time. Wayne Pilkey lost a wheel and Bill hit it. My stepfather drove the ambulance.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=9739.msg68349#msg68349

Offline Vickie

• Pit Crew
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 10:20:39 PM »
Hey there everyone...my name is Vickie...real original nick name eh? lol

Anyway, I also grew up at Delaware Speedway....the best part was my Dad was Hoppy the Clown as Trevor already knows!  It was great knowing your Dad was the clown of the track but our Mom always had us keep quiet as she didn't want everyone to know lol.  She used to score keep so we had to sit up top of the grandstands in front of her so she could keep an eye on us lol.

These days I am again sitting at the top of the grandstands, just not directly on the start line. 

Used to absolutely love Jimmy Fenwick when I was a kid and now living in Sarnia it is kinda funny.  Actually met his wife who used to work at a daycare my son went too. 

I'll try to dig up some pics of my Dad and some of the old cars we used to see every week!  Anyone remember Whacky Webster and those amazing popcicles at the end of the races lol!!
 ;D

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=9739.msg68363#msg68363

Offline Shadowracer

• Global Moderator
  • Series Owner
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 10:46:26 PM »
Hey...thanks for swinging by Vickie. Love to hook up sometime to go over some of that old stuff.

Now we just have to get Jan in on the game!

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=9739.msg68364#msg68364

Offline Supermart70

• Race Fan
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2009, 08:39:27 AM »
Do you guys remember the time that a car ( I think it was Don Riley in a limited stock) took out one of the posts that the infield tower stood on (near were you pull onto pit road now from the pits) and nearly toppled the whole building?!!!! Also I remember Jim Van Patter doing several rolls down the front stretch one time in a silver/red #76. I can't remember if it was a limited or a street stock. It was a ford body but I can't remember what model it was.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=9739.msg68371#msg68371

Offline Gary36

• Rookie Driver
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2009, 11:56:48 AM »
Hi everyone...I have been on here many times and thought I would introduce myself.  Most may already know me. Started racing in 69' with this being our 41st consecutive season of Stock Car racing in Ontario. Got the bug as a fan when I was 5 years old and made my first visit to a race track surface in a 55 Chev 2 door hardtop....you won't like this part...in a demo derby. That was July 29th 1967. After 2 years of demo's we went to Mini Stocks, then Hobby's and now Late Models.  
I ran Delaware a bunch of times since 1972 with a few victories in heats and a few runner ups in the feature...no feature win. My most memorable Late Model finish was in 2007 in the APC 300 when we finished 13th and amazingly on the lead lap....and it was 150 laps, the most I'd run at that time.  We did finish 11th on a regular night in 08'..no top 10 yet.  
My home track is Flamboro, has been for decades. In the past few years we've visited Delaware to run some of the specials on Friday ngihts. My biggest fear was wrecking and not making Flamboro the next day. So, we got a huge blessing with another primary sponsor (Freedom Village) and bought a good used Late Model, mostly for Delaware. Our friend Jeff Lancaster drives our second Late Model on Saturday nights at Flamboro.  We needed to get a number that would work at both tracks. My favourtire number has always been #9, although my favourite driver was #36 Glen Schurr a Super Modified driver from the CNE days in Toronto. My favourite Late Model driver in those days was #9 Vic Parsons.  I was a huge hockey fan with Andy Bathagte being my favourite hockey player, so much so that the New York Rangers have been my team for ever.  Anyway I got the #9 for Flamboro and also for Delaware so it works where we don't have to add a number on the car for either track.
My son David and I will run Delaware for the entire 2009 schedule. I'm hoping for a top 5 feature finish, then a top 3 and you know the rest. We competed against the best Delaware drivers many times at other tracks in Ontario, now we'll be one of the boys here...well, after people get to know us. The Delaware fans are quite knowledgeable and very enthusiastic. We were called outsiders when we'd come three times a year, soon we'll be family.
You can visit our web site www.elliottracingteam.com  there's lots of history for you to read including pictures of all our race cars from the very first Demo race....we have a message board as well.
Glad to be part of Delaware, the most improved track in Ontario.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=9739.msg68378#msg68378
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 12:13:28 PM by Gary36 »

Offline d_hilborn

• Rookie Driver
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2009, 11:07:47 PM »
Hi, my name is Dale Hilborn, driver of the 81 truck at Delaware.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=9739.msg68414#msg68414

HTML ezBlock

site
stats