Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: TOYO TIRES F1600 CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES ZACHARIE ROBICHON WINS CAN AM CUP  (Read 1658 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.

TOYO TIRES F1600 CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES NEWS & NOTES

ZACHARIE ROBICHON WINS CAN AM CUP

BOWMANVILLE, ON (September 13, 2014) – Ottawa, ON’s Zacharie Robichon won today’s prestigious Can Am Cup by mere inches over series points leader Tristan DeGrand, of Eureka, MO. The two young drivers matched wits lap after lap in an incredible display of skill and courage, crossing the finish line almost side by side.

DeGrand led the field to the green and held off the advance of outside pole sitter Chase Pelletier. Further back, B Class racer Amy Castell had a malfunction in the braking zone for corner 1, clobbering the outside wall and bringing out the full course caution.

The safety crew did an outstanding job removing her car and the field was back to green after only 3 laps behind the safety car.

On the restart DeGrand assumed the lead again and the fighting was fierce immediately behind him. Robichon would get clear of the fight for 2nd and set his sights on DeGrand, a full 5 car lengths ahead at this point.

The track started out wet, but a dry line developed quickly, playing in Robichon’s favour as he committed to the dry line just a few laps before DeGrand and got right on his gearbox. For the next 5 laps the two managed lapped traffic to perfection and put on a clinic.

Coming into the last corner, DeGrand took a defensive line while Robichon swung to the outside and crossed underneath setting the stage for a drag race down the front straightaway.

At the line it was Robichon by inches. DeGrand was 2nd and Pelletier crossed the line 3rd after a race long battle with Steve Bamford. Jeffrey Kingsley would round out the top 5.

“That was an incredibly satisfying win,” said a jubilant Robichon. “DeGrand and I had an amazing race, we were side by side almost everywhere but it was clean. He never gave me more than an inch but I knew he was going to protect on the inside of corner 10, you have to, but there was a little puddle there and as we drag raced out of that corner I got just enough of an advantage to grab the win. We talked right after and he thought he won, I thought I did, but I don’t think either of us was sure.”

The B Class fight was won by Graham Lobban after an impressive drive battling with the front running A Class cars. Stephen Adams had a solid run in 2nd place over the hard charging Steve Bodrug. David Graham and points leader Connor Wagland would round out the top 5.

With Castell having misfortune on the first lap of the race Connor Wagland has clinched the Championship in his 2nd season of competiton.

Up next is the Series finale, Sunday where we will crown the A Class Champion.

The Toyo Tires F1600 Championship Series is the premiere open wheel series in Ontario, sanctioned by CASC Ontario Region and proudly supported by Toyo Tires, Honda HPD, Lubrico Warranty, Heather’s Heros, Cove Dentistry, Stäubli, Lincoln Electric, Braille Battery, Jongbloed Racing Wheels, Johnston Research and Performance, MK Technologies, Jones Brown Motorsport Insurance and Rod Ends Mechanical. The series is comprised of a six event, double-header format and competes at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park, the Honda Indy Toronto and Calabogie Motorsports Park.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=20241.msg112301#msg112301
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

HTML ezBlock

site
stats