Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

+-

Sponsors Ads

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Ontario Modifieds Series Loads the Haulers for a Trip to Peterborough Speedway

By Jim Clarke, Clarke Motorsports Communications/First Draft Media

After running half of this year’s first 4 dates on the road, the Ontario Modifieds Racing Series – powered by Torque Builders Inc. – is set to return to the tour’s unofficial home base of Peterborough Speedway for a show Saturday, July 21st at Canada’s Toughest 3rd of a Mile Paved Oval. Bill Pickford – who along with Rick Warnes and Randy Hollingsworth make up the OMRS group of officials – says the tour enjoys racing in different places, but always looks forward to coming home.

“We’ve always had a strong promotional and working relationship with J.P. and the team at Peterborough Speedway,” Pickford said. “They’ve been a warm and welcoming host over the years; giving us a half dozen races each season and a spot to host our ‘Test-a-Mod’ day. A quick glance at our driver roster shows a solid connection to the track and its various divisions.”

Pickford pointed-out that Craig Scott – one of the newest runners with the Ontario Modifieds Racing Series – is a graduate of the area’s Thunder Car/Super Stock ranks and turned laps at both Kawartha and Peterborough Speedways, while Bob Franks had been a local racing fixture for over 20 years before taking a break from the sport.

In the early 80’s, Franks competed in the Challenger division at what was then known as Westgate Speedway, before moving to the Street Stock ranks at Peterborough and Mosport while also running invitational shows at Barrie, Sunset and Flamborough. There were championships at Peterborough and Mosport and more than half a dozen years driving the popular ride car at Kawartha Speedway. Franks says he always wanted to get back behind the wheel and feels good to have had some early season success with OMRS. Above everything else, the pilot of the #72 machine says he’d like to thank all the fans, his family, friends and sponsors for their continued support over the years.

Ontario Modifieds Racing Series point standings:

#16   Anthony DiBello                     286

#63   John Baker Jr.                        279

#77c Chad Strawn                          272

#77   Brad Stevenson                     272

#90   Rick Warnes                          264

#95   Rob Warnes                           252

#90m Craig Stevenson                    245

#62w Willow Barberstock                243

#62   Randy Hollingsworth             232

#72   Bob Franks                             114

#69   Craig Scott                               47

To learn more about the 2018 Ontario Modifieds Racing Series – powered by Torque Builders Inc. – schedule, visit the group’s social media platform, www.facebook.com/OMRS or look for the newly redesigned web-site www.ontariomodifiedsracing.com, coming soon.

For over a decade, Torque Builders Inc. has worked with partners and clients in the construction industry, offering new, general construction services, renovations and retrofits in the industrial, commercial and institutional sector. See www.torquebuilders.com to find out more. The 2018 OMRS tour is also supported by Complete Mechanical, Borque Transmission, Gen-3 Electrical, Sterling Tire and Clarke Motorsports Communications.

Photo attachment: Jim Clarke – Clarke Motorsports Communications/First Draft Media

Bob Franks (#72) is looking forward to getting back into action when the Ontario Modifieds Racing Series – powered by Torque Builders Inc. – returns to Peterborough Speedway Saturday, July 21st.

Prepared by: Jim Clarke, Clarke Motorsports Communications/First Draft Media
                      clarkemotorsports@hotmail.com, www.facebook.com/clarkemotorsports
Other US Racing / Champion®/Buhl Sport ARX Team Fifth at COTA
« Last post by CanadianRacingOnline on July 15, 2018, 11:32:27 AM »
Champion®/Buhl Sport ARX Team Fifth at COTA

Strong first weekend highlighted by qualifier win

DETROIT, (July 14, 2018) - The Champion®/Buhl Sport Detroit team finishes the Americas Rallycross (ARX) series Circuit of the Americas (COTA) round in fifth today.

Early highlights for the Champion/Buhl Sport team had driver Alex Keyes drive to a second-place finish in qualifying race two and went onto win the third qualifying race at COTA. "It feels good," said Keyes. "It was a good battle out there in the third qualifier. We have a small issue with the engine cutting out, so we will get that fixed for the fourth qualifier. It was a great battle. I made a mistake going into Turn 1, then on the last lap I let them push each other wide and I was there for the win."

Alex Keyes

With his strong qualifying race results, the team made it through to the six car ARX2 final. In the final, starting from the outside back row, Keyes drove a strong race to move up a position and finish in fifth place.

"It was a positive weekend all around as a first outing with the new team," continued Keyes. "It was hot in Austin, over 100°F all day and that started to affect our engine as the day went on, we developed a motor-mis. We were focused on the qualifying races and getting to the final which we did. In the final I started on the outside back row and had a good start. I was able to move up a position and close out our first weekend running together in fifth. The engine issue cost us, but we worked well as a team and we will be that much better heading to Canada next month for the next round."

"Everyone on the team worked hard to get us here to COTA for this race," Robbie Buhl, team owner said. "Champion and everyone involved have put in a lot a work over the past two months. Alex did a great job in the qualifying races and was able to win the third qualifier. In the final we just wanted to get to the checker and get this first race under our belt. Good job by everyone on the weekend."

The ARX Circuit of the Americas races will be televised on the CBS Sports Network, Wednesday, July 18 at 8 p.m. ET. The next round of the ARX series will run at Trois Rivieres, Quebec, Canada, August 4-5

For more information contact Kyle Chura, kyle@kcapr.com, (248) 821-0468.
Newgarden saves best for last to win Honda Indy Toronto pole position
TORONTO (Saturday, July 14, 2018) - Josef Newgarden took greatest advantage of constantly changing conditions in Honda Indy Toronto qualifying to win the Verizon P1 Award and pole position for the 34th Indy car race to be conducted at Exhibition Place on Sunday.

The reigning Verizon IndyCar Series champion and defending Toronto winner was the last driver to take the track in the Firestone Fast Six, the third and final round of knockout qualifying on the 11-turn, 1.786-mile temporary street course. Newgarden's final lap in the six-minute climactic session was the last lap run by anyone and, at 59.4956 seconds (108.068 mph), earned the No. 1 Hitachi Team Penske Chevrolet driver his fourth pole of the season and sixth of his seven-year Verizon IndyCar Series career.

HONDA INDY TORONTO: Official qualifying results

The three rounds of qualifying took place in varying conditions - starting wet from rain and drying out when it subsided, only to see light precipitation return for the Firestone Fast Six. Despite the slick track, drivers in the final round opted for Firestone's dry-condition alternate tires, with Newgarden waiting as long as possible to begin his run.

"We went out a little later which, I thought if we could keep the minimum amount of laps on the tires, the better," said Newgarden, whose bonus point earned for winning the pole closed him within 32 points of championship leader Scott Dixon, who qualified second.

"The last lap, I could feel it was getting better and better," Newgarden added of the track conditions. "I'm like, 'I've got to go for it here. I know that we can get the pole so I'm going to go for it.' I gave it everything I had and that's what we came up with, man."

Newgarden has won the Verizon P1 Award in three of the last four races this season and qualified second in the other race. His first Toronto pole is Indy car pole position No. 262 in the 51-year history of Team Penske - more than any other team.

Dixon set a lap record for the current track configuration, 58.5546 seconds (109.805 mph), in Round 2, eclipsing the standard established last year by Team Penske's Simon Pagenaud (59.9124 seconds). The four-time Verizon IndyCar Series champion blamed himself for not putting the No. 9 PNC Bank Chip Ganassi Racing Honda on the pole, with his lap of 59.6920 seconds (107.713 mph) in the Firestone Fast Six falling short of Newgarden's pole-winning lap.

"I'm a bit disappointed and (mad) at myself for not putting the PNC Bank car on pole position," Dixon said. "I feel bad for my team as well, as they gave me a car capable of doing it. I made a mistake in Turn 5 and that cost me a few tenths.

"All in all, it's not terrible starting on the front row, but when you know you had one and then let it get away, it hurts a little bit."

Pagenaud qualified third in the No. 22 DXC Technology Team Penske Chevrolet, with a lap of 59.7630 seconds (107.585 mph). Teammate Will Power was fourth in the No. 12 Verizon Team Penske Chevrolet (59.8818, 107.372 mph).

Andretti Autosport teammates Alexander Rossi and Ryan Hunter-Reay will start in Row 3 on Sunday. Rossi qualified the No. 27 NAPA AUTO PARTS Honda fifth (1:00.6273, 106.051 mph), with Hunter-Reay sixth in the No. 28 DHL Honda (1:00.6615, 105.991 mph).

Hometown favorites and Schmidt Peterson teammates James Hinchcliffe and Robert Wickens qualified ninth and 10th, respectively. Conor Daly, driving in his first race weekend since the Indianapolis 500 in May, qualified the No. 88 Harding Group Chevrolet 11th.

Sunday's 85-lap race airs live at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, SportsNet 360 and the Advance Auto Parts INDYCAR Radio Network. A final 30-minute warmup practice starts at 11:40 a.m. and streams live on RaceControl.IndyCar.com, youtube.com/indycar and the INDYCAR Mobile app.

Mazda Road to Indy race recap

The Mazda Road to Indy development ladder sanctioned by INDYCAR has doubleheader weekends scheduled for all three levels at Toronto. The first race in each series took place Saturday.

• Patricio O'Ward (Andretti Autosport) led all 35 laps of the Indy Lights presented by Cooper Tires race, avoiding incidents and spinning cars behind him as the latter stages encountered wet track conditions from rain. O'Ward started second and passed teammate and pole sitter Colton Herta on the opening lap.

Herta, who sustained a non-displaced fracture at the base of his left thumb when he crashed into a tire barrier at the conclusion of morning qualifying, made hard contact with the wall in the race and finished seventh. He will be evaluated by the INDYCAR medical staff Sunday to determine his status for the second weekend race.

• Rinus VeeKay (Juncos Racing) won a wild Pro Mazda Championship presented by Cooper Tires race which included a spectacular incident that sent the car of Harrison Scott airborne into the Turn 3 runoff after it made contact with the car of Sting Ray Robb. Scott emerged unhurt. More than half of the 14-car field was eliminated in incidents throughout the 25-lap race.

• Kyle Kirkwood (Cape Motorsports) passed pole sitter Dakota Dickerson (ArmsUp Motorsports) heading into the first turn of the opening lap and drove on to his fifth consecutive win in the Cooper Tires USF2000 Championship powered by Mazda. Kirkwood won the 20-lap race by 0.3613 of a second.   

Media contacts

Curt Cavin
Vice President, Communications
317-492-6036, ccavin@indycar.com Pat Caporali
Senior Manager, Media Relations & Outreach
317-492-4547, pcaporali@indycar.com
Kate Guerra
Senior Manager, National Media Outreach
317-492-8577, kguerra@indycar.com Mark Robinson
Senior Manager, Editorial
317-492-8538, mrobinson@indycar.com
Cathy Kightlinger
Manager, Lifestyle Communications
317-492-8534, ckightlinger@indycar.com Arni Sribhen
Coordinator, Media Relations
317-492-8531, asribhen@indycar.com
Colby Redmond
Manager, Advance Communications
317-492-8546, credmond@indycar.com
Verizon IndyCar Series / Honda Indy Toronto qualifying results
« Last post by CanadianRacingOnline on July 15, 2018, 11:30:34 AM »
Honda Indy Toronto qualifying results

TORONTO - Qualifying Saturday for the Honda Indy Toronto Verizon IndyCar Series event on the 1.786-mile Streets of Toronto's Exhibition Place, with qualifying position, car number in parentheses, driver, engine, time and speed in parentheses:

1. (1) Josef Newgarden, Chevrolet, 59.4956 (108.068 mph)
2. (9) Scott Dixon, Honda, 59.6920 (107.713)
3. (22) Simon Pagenaud, Chevrolet, 59.7630 (107.585)
4. (12) Will Power, Chevrolet, 59.8818 (107.372)
5. (27) Alexander Rossi, Honda, 01:00.6273 (106.051)
6. (28) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Honda, 01:00.6615 (105.991)
7. (30) Takuma Sato, Honda, 59.0712 (108.845)
8. (20) Jordan King, Chevrolet, 59.0862 (108.817)
9. (5) James Hinchcliffe, Honda, 59.1581 (108.685)
10. (6) Robert Wickens, Honda, 59.1705 (108.662)
11. (88) Conor Daly, Chevrolet, 59.3133 (108.401)
12. (4 ) Matheus Leist, Chevrolet, 59.4528 (108.146)
13. (15) Graham Rahal, Honda, 01:14.7769 (85.984)
14. (98) Marco Andretti, Honda, 01:00.1721 (106.854)
15. (14) Tony Kanaan, Chevrolet, 01:14.9691 (85.763)
16. (21) Spencer Pigot, Chevrolet, 01:00.1838 (106.833)
17. (18) Sebastien Bourdais, Honda, 01:15.1429 (85.565)
18. (59) Max Chilton, Chevrolet, 01:00.2694 (106.681)
19. (32) Rene Binder, Chevrolet, 01:15.8928 (84.719)
20. (23) Charlie Kimball, Chevrolet, 01:00.4313 (106.395)
21. (10) Ed Jones, Honda, No Time (No Speed)
22. (26) Zach Veach, Honda, 01:00.5564 (106.175)
23. (19) Zachary Claman De Melo, Honda, 01:00.6416 (106.026)

Media contacts

Curt Cavin
317-492-6036, ccavin@indycar.com Pat Caporali
Senior Manager, Media Relations & Outreach
317-492-4547, pcaporali@indycar.com
Kate Guerra
Senior Manager, National Media Outreach
317-492-8577, kguerra@indycar.com Mark Robinson
Senior Manager, Editorial
317-492-8538, mrobinson@indycar.com
Cathy Kightlinger
Manager, Lifestyle Communications
317-492-8534, ckightlinger@indycar.com Arni Sribhen
Coordinator, Media Relations
317-492-8531, asribhen@indycar.com
Colby Redmond
Manager, Advance Communications
317-492-8546, credmond@indycar.com
HONDA INDY TORONTO
QUALIFYING REPORT
The starting grid has been set for Round 12 of Verizon IndyCar Series competition on the streets of Toronto. Alexander Rossi and Ryan Hunter-Reay led the team effort in qualifying, both advancing to the Firestone Fast Six.

The 85-lap Honda Indy Toronto will broadcast live on NBC Sports Network at 3 p.m. ET.
 No. 27 NAPA AUTO PARTS HONDA
STARTING POSITON: 5th
QUALIFYING TIME: 1:00.6273
OF NOTE: Rossi earned his career best Toronto start with today's qualifying // Made his third Firestone Fast Six appearance of the season, his seventh top-five start of 2018

"We were really strong in the first run when it was wet. We were running P2 and conservative to transfer and when it was dry, I thought we were in range and I was feeling really good going into the Firestone Fast Six. With it being damp and kind of dry, we just didn't have the pace. I'm at a loss as to how we're a second off of the front row - Ryan and I had the same lap time, but for some reason we couldn't keep track of the time and it's pretty disappointing. I think Honda contingent has been pretty strong all weekend, and our ability to drive has been pretty good as well so that will help over race distance. The No. 27 NAPA AUTO PARTS car is confidently in the top five even with this session yet. It was tough to try and execute and beat Scott [Dixon] and Josef [Newgarden] which isn't easy."

No. 28 DHL HONDA
•STARTING POSITION: 6th
•QUALIFYING TIME: 1:00.6615
•OF NOTE: Advanced to the Firestone Fast Six, despite being given a drive thru penalty for a pit speed violation during Round 2 // Today marked Hunter-Reay's fourth Firestone Fast Six appearance of 2018 and his sixth top-six start of the season

"We're just trying to make the car better and find the balance that I need out of it, but it's so easy to touch a wall here and there. We got it closer today in the dry [qualifying] session when we were P2, but we just didn't have it with a little bit of moisture and we were sliding around too much. We just have to pick up and make a good race car from here."

No. 98 OBERTO CIRCLE K / CURB HONDA
STARTING POSITION: 14th
QUALIFYING SPEED: 1:00.1721
OF NOTE: Finished Friday P3 on the combined time charts // Returns to the Oberto Circle K livery for the Toronto race weekend
“It’s definitely a disappointing result. We had a great car and should have definitely been fighting for the pole position. We came in for the Firestone reds too early and when the track was dry enough to give it our fastest lap, our tires had already past that point. Not happy that we didn’t get the result the Oberto/Circle K car deserved, but we’ll race our tails off tomorrow and fight for the win.”

No. 26 RELAY / GROUP 1001 HONDA
•STARTING POSITION: 22nd
•QUALIFYING TIME: 1:00.5564
•OF NOTE: Veach was penalized his fastest lap for causing a local yellow with a spin on his final lap at the timeline in Turn 8

"We started off on wet and put on a set of Firestone reds and went for it. The track just kept going faster and faster and I think we used our reds a couple laps too early. The only option I had to try and transfer was to try and make something big happen on the last lap. I must have hit the wall three times before I even got to the last corner and I needed probably one more tenth and just pushed too hard and lost the car. Unfortunately, we lost our lap so we should be starting from 14th but we're starting on the back row. We have a long day ahead of us tomorrow but if it's meant to happen, it will."

MEDIA CONTACTS

Ryann Rigsby
ryann.rigsby@andrettiautosport.com
+1 610.909.7312 

Britni Allen
Senior Manager, Communications, INDYCAR
britni.allen@andrettiautosport.com
+1 740.816.2748

Phil Zielinski
Manager, Communications, Formula E
phil.zielinski@andrettiautosport.com
+1 317.373.9549

Amber Stevenson
Associate, Communications
amber.stevenson@andrettiautosport.com
+1 574.361.4325
Flamboro Speedway / Flamboro Speedway – Sunday, July 8 Recap
« Last post by CanadianRacingOnline on July 15, 2018, 11:27:59 AM »
Flamboro Speedway – Sunday, July 8 Recap

With cars from all over the province gracing Flamboro Speedway on Sunday, all three 50-lap features were full of action from the green flag to the checkered.

Super Stocks

After winning the first round of the “STOCK” Car Nationals at Flamboro Speedway, Andy Kamrath put together another solid performance to win the second round on Sunday.

It’d be Treyten Lapcevich setting the quick time in qualifying, though, followed by Kamrath, Randy Rusnell, Brad Collison, Carson Nagy, Rick Hay, Kent Nuhn, Justin Collison, Jeff Bean, RJ Croteau, and Bobby Mercer. Lapcevich rolled a one on the dice for the invert, leaving him on the pole.

He’d get a good start to hold the lead ahead of Kamrath and Rusnell, but that didn’t last long as the caution came out on Lap 2 for Brad Collison spinning Rusnell in turns one and two.

Lapcevich got a good restart to keep the lead ahead of Kamrath, Nagy, Nuhn, and Hay. Mercer, Justin Collison, Brad Collison, Rusnell, Croteau, and Bean. Mercer and Hay made contact for fifth at Lap 7, allowing Mercer to get the spot on Lap 9 ahead of Hay.

The caution would come out on Lap 15 for Nuhn and Mercer going around in turn four. Mercer tried to cut underneath the lap car of Bean, making contact, resulting in Bean touching Lawrence to send him around for the spin. The first attempt at a restart saw contact between Lapcevich and Kamrath, resulting in a cut tire for Lapcevich and a second caution. Lapcevich went to the pits, getting the tire changed, before returning back to the track, restarting at the back.

The second restart went cleanly with Kamrath leading Nagy, Brad Collison, Rusnell, and Mercer. Mercer then challenged Rusnell for fourth at Lap 22, completing the pass a lap later, bringing Lapcevich through with him.

The field would string out single-file through the second half, but the race wasn’t short any drama. Lapcevich’s charge back to the front continued, as he passed Mercer for fourth at Lap 35. He’d catch Brad Collison for third, with the pair battling back and forth, contact happening, and Collison going around at Lap 43. There’d be no caution as Collison was able to continue, but Lapcevich headed pit side a lap later.

Andy Kamrath took the win ahead of Carson Nagy, Bobby Mercer, Bobby Mercer, Kent Nuhn, Justin Collison, Randy Rusnell, Brad Collison, RJ Croteau, Treyten Lapcevich, Jeff Bean, and Rick Hay.

Mini Stocks

After seeing his victory last month in the first round of the “STOCK” Car Nationals stripped away in post-race technical inspection, Brandon Crumbie came back with a vengeance, leading all 50 laps and passing inspection to win the second round at Flamboro Speedway.

Scott Mast posted the quickest lap in time trials at 18.146 seconds. Shawn Taylor (18.161) was second, followed by Jake Watson (18.219), Cory Young (18.294), and Michael Kenny (18.295). Kyle Istead was sixth, followed by Brandon Crumbie, Wayde Thorne, Jake Gilbert, Karl Sault, Matt Young, Andrea Parsons, Stefan Woyslaw, Cory McAllister, Scott McGregor, Kyle Neumeister, Kyle DaSilva, Hudson Nagy, Jason LeBlanc, and Bobby Tolton.

With an invert of seven, Crumbie started on pole ahead of Istead, Kenny, Young, Watson, Taylor, and Mast, followed by the rest of the qualifiers except for Neumeister. Unfortunately, Neumeister didn’t make the green flag due to a wreck in the pure stock event just before as he was supposed to do double duty.

Crumbie grabbed the initial lead ahead of Istead as Taylor and Young ran side-by-side for third ahead of Watson and Thorne. The caution came out early, though, as the yellow flag flew on Lap 3 for debris. Under caution, Nagy would pull off the track done for the event. Shout-out to the Wallace Racing team for having the No. 45 Mustang ready for him as the car suffered a hard crash on Saturday night with Kaitlyn Wallace behind the wheel. The team worked through the night to be ready for Sunday, but unfortunately didn’t see things go their way.

Crumbie got a good restart to keep the lead with Taylor moving up into second ahead of Young and Istead, as Mast and Watson battled for fifth. Mast got the spot on Lap 5 ahead of Watson, and Sault. Mast continued to move forward, passing Istead for fourth at Lap 8. Watson would follow through, along with Sault, Thorne, and Gilbert to bump Istead back to ninth. Unfortunately, Watson’s charge came to a halt when he brought out the second yellow at Lap 13 with a quick spin.

Crumbie got a good restart to keep the lead ahead of Taylor, Young, Mast, Gilbert and Sault. Young would get alongside Taylor for second at Lap 16, completing the pass a lap later. Mast would follow through to move up into third ahead of Gilbert and Taylor. The battles continued as Mast got alongside Young for second at Lap 21 ahead of Gilbert, with Thorne and Taylor side-by-side for fifth. Young held off the challenge, with Gilbert trying to pass Mast for third but unable to do so.

Behind them, Thorne got fifth, but was challenged for the spot by Watson on Lap 25. Watson was able to take it a lap later ahead of Thorne. Further up front, Gilbert challenged Mast for third at Lap 30, taking the spot as he challenged Young for second a lap later. Gilbert moved into second with 17 laps to go ahead of Mast, Watson, Thorne, and Istead as Young pulled off with a mechanical problem.

The field generally speaking strung out single file in the late stages, but there were still some battles to watch as Istead challenged Thorne for fifth. Istead was able to get the spot with four laps to go.

Brandon Crumbie grabbed the win ahead of Jake Gilbert, Scott Mast, Jake Watson, Kyle Istead, Wayde Thorne, Stefan Woyslaw, Shawn Taylor, Karl Sault, Cory McAllister, Andrea Parsons, Bobby Tolton, Jason LeBlanc, Matt Young, Cory Young, Kyle DaSilva, Scott McGregor, Michael Kenny, and Hudson Nagy.

Pure Stocks

Getting the pole on the re-draw, Dylan Sharpe led flag-to-flag in the “STOCK” Car Nationals Bone Stock 50-lap feature on Sunday at Flamboro Speedway.

Kyle Neumeister laid down the quickest lap at 19.286 seconds ahead of Andy Wheller (19.898), Rodney Rutherford (19.922), Andrew Castelien (19.985), and Courtney Scott (20.001). Dylan Sharpe qualified sixth, followed by Blair Mayhew, Clinton Kerkhof, Mark Thorne, Eric Stewart, Matt Young, Nick Clarke, Matt Fraser, Dan Storey, Travis Hofstetter, and Julie Saunders. With the invert of six, Sharpe started pole ahead of Scott, Castelien, Rutherford, Wheller, Neumeister, and the rest of the field.

Sharpe grabbed the early advantage ahead of Rutherford, Wheller, Neumeister, and Scott as the field strung out single-file in the opening laps until Lap 8 when Neumeister challenged Wheller for third. Wheller was able to hold onto the spot, instead looking for second on Rutherford. Wheller got the spot on Lap 10, with Neumeister following him through a lap later to bump Rutherford back to fourth ahead of Scott. Neumeister would look for second on Wheller, but the first caution came out on Lap 13 for debris on the frontstretch.

Sharpe got a good restart to keep the lead ahead of Wheller and Rutherford, as Neumeister dropped back drastically due to appearing to lose power. This would allow Thorne to move up to fourth ahead of Kerkhof and Mayhew as Saunders pulled off the track after a spin in turn two. Mayhew challenged Kerkhoff for fifth at Lap 19, getting the spot a lap later.

There’d be battles through the whole field throughout the race, includingMayhew challenging Thorne for fourth, unable to complete the pass. This would actually allow Neumeister to pass Mayhew for fifth at Lap 28, passing Thorne a lap later for fourth.

With 29 laps on the board, Sharpe continued to lead Wheller, Rutherford, Neumeister, and Thorne. The race took a big twist at Lap 34 with the second caution that resulted in both Wheller and Neumeister suffering significant damage due to an incident off of turn four.

Sharpe got a good restart to lead ahead of Thorne, as Castelien and Scott battled for third. Castelein moved into second on Lap 36 as Thorne and Kerkhof went side-by-side for third. Kerkhof took the third spot a lap later ahead of Castelein, and Clarke.

Dylan Sharpe led the rest of the way home with Andrew Castelien edging out Clinton Kerkhof for second. Nick Clarke finished fourth, followed by Travis Hofstetter, Mark Thorne, Matt Fraser, Courtney Scott, Eric Stewart, Andy Wheller, Rodney Rutherford, Blair Mayhew, Kyle Neumeister, Matt Young, Julie Saunders, Dan Storey, and Kris Lawrence.

The action at Flamboro Speedway isn’t set to slow down as this Saturday, July 14 will be the re-scheduled “Meet the Drivers” Night, which will allow you to come down on the track during intermission to see the racecars up close while collecting some autographs. The night sponsored by Graybar Canada will feature the Pro Late Models, Super Stocks, Mini Stocks, Pure Stocks, and Pro 4 Modifieds.

Gate details and admission prices, along with the full schedule for Flamboro Speedway this season can be found on the track’s website at http://www.flamborospeedway.ca.

Be sure to keep up with the latest by following the speedway on Twitter at https://twitter.com/FlamboroSpdwy and Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/flamborospeedway/.

Race Report by Ashley McCubbin
Flamboro Speedway / Flamboro Speedway – Saturday, July 7 Recap
« Last post by CanadianRacingOnline on July 15, 2018, 11:27:23 AM »
Flamboro Speedway – Saturday, July 7 Recap

With the Ontario Pro Challenge Series in town, everybody knew that Saturday night at Flamboro Speedway would action-packed from the top to the bottom.

Grisdale Racing Products Late Model

The summer temperatures did the Late Models no favors on Saturday night, as the action got chaotic with hot tempers.

Despite the drama behind him, Kevin Albers was perfection through the first feature en route to scoring the victory. Chris Boschler stayed out of the trouble to finish second, followed by Matt Lockwood. Hudson Nagy and David Elliott would fight back after late-race spins to round out the top-five.

Tim Norris finished the first feature in sixth, followed by Billy Schwartzenburg who was involved in a late-race incident. Mark Burbridge finished eighth, followed by Brian Pescetti and Brandon Huras. Nick Troback ran up front in the early stages till a mid-race spin, resulting in an 11th-place finish.

The incidents and mechanical issues took several drivers off the track before the finish including Blair Wickett, AJ Emms, Chris Howse, Mike Westwood, Allie Ditner, and Mike Klotz.

The second feature saw its fair share of incidents as well, with Billy Schwartzenburg finding the smooth track en route to scoring the win ahead of Kevin Albers, Chris Bochsler, Matt Lockwood, and David Elliott. AJ Emms finished sixth, followed by Brian Pescetti, Mark Burbridge, Hudson Nagy, Mike Klotz, and Tim Norris.

Several drivers also failed to finish this feature, including Brandon Huras, Nick Troback, Allie Ditner, and Blair Wickett. Chris Howse, and Mike Westwood failed to start after their problems in the first feature.

Feature 1 Video -

Ray’s Auto Centre & Towing Super Stocks

With the standings close amongst the top drivers, every point matters and that showed in the action.

Past division champion Brad Collison showed the way in the first feature ahead of Jake Watson, Randy Rusnell, Carson Nagy, Bobby Mercer, Chris Pendlebury, and AJ Miller.

The second feature would see Carson Nagy take the lead off the drop of the green flag, and despite being challenged late by Randy Rusnell, the teenager snagged the victory. Brad Collison made his way through the field for a third ahead of Bobby Mercer, Chris Pendlebury, and AJ Miller. Jake Watson would make a couple laps and then pull off due to mechanical issues.

Feature 2 Video -

Klotz Auto Repair & Engine Machine Shop Mini Stocks

With 21 cars on the property, it’s no surprise that the racing was chaotic for the Mini Stocks on Saturday night.

The first feature would see Kyle Istead cross the finish line at the end of the race in first, but he would be disqualified in post-race technical inspection. This would hand the victory over Wayde Thorne, who made the jump up to the mini stock division full-time this season after multiple wins at the Pure Stock level.

Jake Gilbert crossed the line in third, followed by Jake Watson, Rich Schwartzenburg, Erik Della Riva, David Gallinger, Karl Sault, Jonathan Ayrton, and Shawn Taylor. Mike Klotz crossed the finish line in 11th, followed by Kaitlyn Wallace, Mike Gilmour, Tyler Lewis, Kyle DaSilva, Wendy Adams, Dylan Penney, and Jason LeBlanc. Three drivers failed to finish including Michael Kenny, Mike Hooper, and Matt Young.

The invert for the second feature provided some chaotic three-wide racing from the drop of the green flag, but everybody managed to keep themselves clean except for a handful of cautions due to single-file spins and one serious incident.

Starting inside the top-five worked to Shawn Taylor’s favor as he made his way to the front on Lap 5, and led the rest of the way en route to picking the win despite being challenged late by Jake Watson. Jake Gilbert finished third, followed by Wayde Thorne, Matt Young, Karl Sault, Kyle Istead, Jonathan Ayrton, and Mike Klotz.

Rich Schwartzenburg finished 10th following a late-race spin ahead of Mike Gilmour, Jason LeBlanc, Dylan Penney, and Wendy Adams. Erik Della Riva ran up front, but the late-race incident relegated him to a 15th-place finish ahead of Mike Hooper.

Michael Kenny was the highest scored driver that failed to finish, followed by Kaitlyn Wallace who made significant contact with the turn four wall, followed by getting hit by David Gallinger. Thankfully, Wallace was able to walk away from the crash. Along with those four mentioned, Tyler Lewis also failed to finish.

Feature 2 Video -

Pro 4 Modifieds

The pair of features on Saturday night would see two familiar faces grace victory lane.

Starting on pole, Rodney Rutherford led early in the first feature ahead of Dan Pettit and Mark Lucas. However, it didn’t take Lucas long to the find his way to second, and catch Rutherford. He would keep the gap close through the middle portion of the event, before taking the top spot with two laps to go. Rutherford tried to counter his attack, but it wasn’t enough.

So Mark Lucas took the win in the first feature ahead of Rodney Rutherford, Dan Pettit, Cliff Hodgkinson, and Shannon Morris. Unfortunately, Gillian Hils and Larry Westwood both ran into mechanical issues.

The second feature would see Rodney Rutherford get redemption, as he picked up the checkered flag ahead of Dan Pettit, Mark Lucas, Shannon Morris, Gillian Hils, Larry Westwood, and Cliff Hodgkinson.

Feature 1 Video -

Ontario Pro Challenge

With Tim Norris starting from the rear for the first of two features on Saturday night, everybody looked to capitalize on the opportunity of snagging a win. Sean Warren took the early advantage, and was set to pull away from the field with ease.

However, Norris made his way through the pack, catching up to Warren at the halfway mark. Norris wasn’t able to get alongside Warren until five laps to go, but that was all it took as he took the top spot two laps later, snagging the win.

So Tim Norris snagged the win ahead of Sean Warren, Peter Hattin, Brian Stevanus, Mike Johnston, Rick Seeley, Mike Norris and Ken MacLennan. Unfortunately, Dean Pronovost failed to take the green flag.

The second feature saw Norris start from the tail of the field once again, and it was same song, different verse as he once again made his way to the front. Sean Warren finished second once again ahead of Peter Hattin, Mike Johnston, Brian Sevanus, Mike Norris, and Rick Seeley. Unfortunately, Dean Pronovost and Ken MacLennan didn’t take the green flag.

Feature 1 Video -

Thanks to Ingrid Hartman for the videos. You can follow her on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/user/petalpower51/

The action at Flamboro Speedway isn’t set to slow down as this Saturday, July 14 will be the re-scheduled “Meet the Drivers” Night, which will allow you to come down on the track during intermission to see the racecars up close while collecting some autographs. The night sponsored by Graybar Canada will feature the Pro Late Models, Super Stocks, Mini Stocks, Pure Stocks, and Pro 4 Modifieds.

Gate details and admission prices, along with the full schedule for Flamboro Speedway this season can be found on the track’s website at http://www.flamborospeedway.ca.

Be sure to keep up with the latest by following the speedway on Twitter at https://twitter.com/FlamboroSpdwy and Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/flamborospeedway/.

Race Report by Ashley McCubbin
Results/News / TOUGH ENDING FOR JASON WHITE
« Last post by CanadianRacingOnline on July 15, 2018, 11:25:50 AM »
TOUGH ENDING FOR JASON WHITE

July 14, 2018. Jason White returned to action in his #28 Powder Ventures Excavating ride for round number four of the NASCAR Pinty’s Series this past weekend.  This was the annual stop for the series at the Toronto Indy weekend where competitors race around the city streets lined with concrete walls.  It presents both a challenge and excitement for the drivers.

White ran only a handful of laps during the one hour practice session Friday afternoon and would qualify the #28 Powder Ventures Excavating car 17th.  “The team was working pretty hard to find the right set up,” explained White.  “The hot weather made for tough conditions,” he added.

When the green flag fell on the scheduled 35-lap event White was on the move in his #28 Powder Ventures Excavating car.  “I had some good battles going on for a lot of the race, really fun and great to watch for the fans too” said White. 

White was winning many of those battles and as the race moved on had made his way into the top ten when the fourth caution period of the afternoon slowed the field and set up a green, white, checker finish to the race. 

It was on the final restart that things turned sour for the #28 Powder Ventures Excavating driver.  “I’d done what I’d planned, stay out of trouble and take what’s there for me.  But after that final restart some other guys decided they’d make some bad choices. After we got hit the tie rod was broken and all I could do was limp around to the end” explained the driver.

Another competitor took what looked to be a very positive finish for the #28 Powder Ventures team away.  “Its kind of shame” said White.  “This event is so great, fans were loving it, it’s such a charge to come here and race on the streets, it’s a bit sour to have it end with us finishing 15th”.

Jason White will be back behind the wheel of the #28 Powder Ventures Excavating machine next at Wyant Group Raceway in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Wednesday July 25th.  Fans can watch the Pinty’s Grand Prix from Toronto Saturday July 21stat 2:30PM ET on TSN.

To keep up with the latest news about Jason White and the #28 Powder Ventures team follow Jason on twitter for the latest updates @racinjasonwhite and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/RacinJasonWhite

Prepared by, Todd Lewis, TL Sports & Entertainment, todd@tlsportsent.com(239) 961-2618
DONALD THEETGE FINISHES TOP TEN IN PINTYS GRAND PRIX OF TORONTO

TORONTO, ON, Sunday July 15, 2018:  Donald Theetge had a goal in mind when he came to Toronto for the Pinty’s Grand Prix, event number 4 in the NASCAR Pinty’s Series championship.  This would be Theetges first appearance on the streets of Toronto since 2003 in the CASCAR Super Series and a lot had changed in the ensuing 15 years.

Theetge, driver of the #24 Mercedes-Benz St. Nicolas/Circuit Acura Camaro took to the track for Friday mornings practice session with optimism and the goal was to run as many laps as possible to get comfortable in the car on the 1.755-mile, 11 turn street course.  They were able to score consistent laps within the top 15 and the team would then go on to qualify in 14th for the 35-lap race on Saturday.

At the drop of the green and with starting on the outside lane, Theetge initially dropped back to 17th but was quickly able to move back into the top twelve.  During the final 20 laps Theetge would battle between 10th and 12th with several other drivers but when the checkered flag waved he had passed additional competitors to post an impressive 9th place finish.

“I had a goal when coming to Toronto and that was to finish in the top eight and gain valuable championship points prior to heading out west,” said Theetge.  “While we finished slightly outside of that in 9th I am still really pleased with our day.  The car was good, and we raced with a lot of drivers out there all day and the car still looks great.  A good accomplishment today for our team.”

Donald Theetge and his Mercedes-Benz/Circuit Acura team are scored in 8th in the NASCAR championship standings, 32 points out of the lead position.

The Pinty’s Grand Prix on the streets of Toronto will air on TSN2 on Saturday July 21st at 2:30 p.m. ET and on RDS2 on Tuesday July 31st at 10:30 p.m. ET.

The NASCAR Pinty’s Series teams will now head to western Canada for the next two events.  Wyant Group Raceway will host the series only mid-week event on Wednesday July 25th with twin 125 lap dual championship races.

For more information please contact:

Linda Jones                                                     
(705) 730-4044                                             
ljones@drivenmi.ca
CAMIRAND CLINCHES ANOTHER TOP 10 FINISH

Toronto Indy - Pinty's Grand Prix of Toronto

PRESS RELEASE
For Immediate Distribution

Toronto, ON, July 15, 2018 - Marc-Antoine Camirand couldn’t secure the podium finish he was hoping for, on Saturday, as the NASCAR Pinty’s series was on track as part of the Toronto Indy weekend. The driver of the GM Paillé no22 car scored a 6th-place finish that might be very profitable for the race to the championship.

Camirand has been fast all weekend and he was confident he could achieve a great result on the streets of Toronto. Third in practice and second after qualifying, the driver from Saint-Léonard-d’Aston was aiming at the top step of the podium, a year after he came close to victory lane.

His endeavour would become more difficult to achieve after an incident at the start. Although Camirand took the green flag from the outside of the front row, he was squeezed against the wall by another competitor.

“My left front wheel hit the wall and the direction of the car was damaged. From that point, the car was understeering badly. I dropped to the 6th spot, and I tried to gain these positions back, without success,” told the driver of the GM Paillé No. 22 Chevrolet Camaro.

While he has been tailing his competitor for most of the race, Camirand was unable to climb back to the top five. “I know that this street course can be treacherous, and I have been patient. The opportunity to pass finally never came up,” he stated.

After an eventful end of race that was forced to NASCAR overtime, the driver of the GM Paillé No. 22 Chevrolet Camaro secured a 6th-place finish. “Overall, this result is still good for the championship. We are heading West in a good position in the standings,” said Marc-Antoine Camirand, who sits 3rd in the drivers’ championship, only 9 points from the top 2 on the leaderboard.

The Pinty’s Grand Prix of Toronto will air on TSN2 on Saturday July 21st at 2:30 p.m. ET and on RDS2 on Tuesday July 31st at 10:30 p.m. ET

Marc-Antoine Camirand and the GM Paillé No. 22 car will be back in action as the NASCAR Pinty’s series heads West for twin races at the Wyant Group Raceway, in Saskatoon, SK., on Wednesday, July 25.

Informations:
Fannie Brouillette                                        Linda Jones
Cell.: 819-698-8785                                    Cell : 705-730-4044
brouillette.fannie@gmail.com                      ljones@drivenmi.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10