Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: CALGARY DRIVER WINS IN EDMONTON  (Read 1674 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
CALGARY DRIVER WINS IN EDMONTON
« on: July 21, 2014, 04:40:48 PM »
HEADLINE: CALGARY DRIVER WINS IN EDMONTON

Attached is a media release from Northern Provincial Pipelines Late Model Series announcer Gord Craig.

You can contact the NPP Series anytime by phoning (780) 886 - 5232.

MILLER TIME IN EDMONTON
EDMONTON, AB - The Northern Provincial Pipelines Late Model Series was the support class to the open wheel Sprint Cars at the 60th anniversary of the Gold Cup this past weekend. On Friday night, in only his 9th start in NPP Series competition, Mark Miller won his first Feature event.  Miller not only went to victory lane, the Calgary, Alberta driver also won his first NPP Series Heat race plus the 'A' Dash which secured him his very first  NPP Series pole position.  Miller's sweep at Castrol Raceway also rocketed him from third to the number one spot in the NPP Series Championship point standings.  "This feels awesome.  The guys back home have the car working perfectly."  Miller built a commanding three and a half second lead over the rest of the field in the Feature but a mid-race caution changed everything.  "After the restart the car was running a little hot.  I was losing power [every lap] but we managed to get the victory which was great."  The margin of victory for Miller was just .252 seconds at the finish line.  It was quite visible just how hot the A1 Autobody #69 Chevrolet was running at the end of the race as the radiator hose blew in victory lane.  At just 27 years of age, Miller is now the youngest point leader in the 14 year history of the NPP Late Model Series.

Race fans in Edmonton also got a sneak peak at the race car Kenny Wallace will be driving at the Castrol Raceway NASCAR Legends event on July 30th.  Fill-in/relief driver Darin Borysko piloted the Jaynart Directional Drilling #36 Dodge to a second place finish.  "Kenny is getting a pretty good race car," exclaims the Edson, Alberta driver,  "Dwight [Kennedy] said to go out, don't wreck it and win.  So I was trying!"  Borysko started the Feature in the number five position and got by Dwight Kennedy and Kevin Wheeler to challenge Miller for the lead with just four laps to go.  "I was trying to race clean and race hard and put on a good show for the fans."

Defending season Champion Kevin Wheeler finished third in the Friday night Feature in his KW Mechanical/Tundra Oilfield Trucking #3 Dodge.  The Whitecourt, Alberta driver had won the previous five NPP Series Feature events and was going for a record sixth win in a row.  "We struggled early in the Feature but were are pleased with a podium finish."  Wheeler won his Heat race earlier in the evening.  "I'm very happy for Miller right now.  For a young guy it's good to see him out here.  He had a fast car and drove a heck of a race."  Wheeler sits just five points behind the new point leader.  "I do like to chase.  Being out in front you do have a target on your back.  The pressure is off me [when I lost the point lead in Sangudo] now we can focus and chase him [Miller] back."

The NPP Late Model Series is back in action on a rare Wednesday night at Castrol Raceway.  Special guest drivers Michael Waltrip, Ken Schrader and Kenny Wallace run for NPP Series Championship points at the Race of Champions/Legends of NASCAR event on July 30th.

NPP LATE MODEL SERIES RACE RESULTS
CASTROL RACEWAY
Edmonton, Alberta
> FRIDAY, July 18th

HEAT 1
1. #69 Mark Miller
2. #18 Dean Deatherage
3. #81 Dwight Kennedy
4. # 33 Jay Carr(R)
5. # 7 Shawn Kennedy
6. #61 Bruce Broughton
DNS #01 Ken Webster'(R)

HEAT 2
1. # 3 Kevin Wheeler
2. # 4 Wayne Wheeler
3.#36 Darin Borysko
4. #14 Darrell Midgley
5. #88 Crystal Kennedy
6. #78 Ken Clark
7. #48 Pete Head

'A' DASH
1. #69 Mark Miller
2. # 4 Wayne Wheeler
3. #81 Dwight Kennedy
4. # 3 Kevin Wheeler
5. #36 Darin Borysko
6. #18 Dean Deatherage
7. #33 Jay Carr(R)
DNS #14 Darrell Midlgey

'B' DASH
1. #61 Bruce Broughton
2. #88 Crystal Kennedy
3. #78 Ken Clark
4. #48 Pete Head
DNS #01 Ken Webster'(R)
DNS # 7 Shawn Kennedy

FEATURE
1.(1) #69 Mark Miller - Calgary, Alberta (MOV 0.252seconds)
2.(5) #36 Darin Borysko - Edson, Alberta
3.(4) # 3 Kevin Wheeler - Whitecourt, Alberta
4.(8) #61 Bruce Broughton - Stony Plain, Alberta
5.(3) #81 Dwight Kennedy - Edson, Alberta
6.(6) #18 Dean Deatherage - Whitecourt, Alberta
7.(9) #88 Crystal Kennedy - Edson, Alberta
8.(10)#78 Ken Clark - Edson, Alberta
9.(2) # 4 Wayne Wheeler - Whitecourt, Alberta
10.(11)#48 Pete Head - Whitecourt, Alberta
11.(7) #33 Jay Carr(R) - Devon, Alberta
DNS #01 Ken Webster(R) - Sylvan Lake, Alberta
DNS # 7 Shawn Kennedy - Edson, Alberta
DNS #14 Darrell Midgley - Sidney, British Columbia

SATURDAY, July 19th

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=19815.msg111782#msg111782
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

CALGARY DRIVER WINS IN EDMONTON
« on: July 21, 2014, 04:40:48 PM »

HTML ezBlock

site
stats