Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: First NWES Driver To Make Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Debut At Sonoma  (Read 1143 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
First NWES Driver To Make Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Debut At Sonoma
Alon Day will drive the #23 BK Racing Toyota Camry
Gian Luca Guiglia, NWES
June 16, 2017 - 9:24am

History will be made on Sunday, June 25th, when Alon Day will become the first NASCAR Whelen Euro Series driver to race in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series at Sonoma Raceway in the Toyota / Save Mart 350. After being crowned King Of Brands Hatch last weekend in the UK, the Israeli will cross the Atlantic to drive the #23 BK Racing Toyota Camry with support form EarthWater Limited.

"I'm very excited to make my debut in the Cup Series next week in Sonoma," said Day. "There's no better way for me to make my debut than on a road course and I can't wait to get behind the wheel of the No. 23 Toyota,” said Day, who sits second in points in NWES and won his first race of the season last weekend. “I am very thankful to the NASCAR Whelen Euro Series for the many opportunities and the exposure the series keeps generating for me and I’ll be proud to be the first NWES driver to race in Cup and represent the championship at Sonoma. I hope we can take advantage of all our road course experience to bring home a good result”

Day is among the many NWES drivers who had the chance to compete in NASCAR in the US thanks to the opportunities the NASCAR Whelen Euro Series has created through season prizes and development programs such as the Road To Daytona.

"We are very proud of Alon being the first driver of the NASCAR Whelen Euro Series to reach the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series level ! This is a great achievement for the development programs we built with NASCAR and shows to every driver outside of North America that the American NASCAR career dream can become real. We have very talented drivers coming from all over the world to compete in Euro NASCAR to make this championship one of the best in Europe. Alon is a great driver and very nice guy who really deserve this opportunity. We wish him the best for this event and expect lots of our drivers to follow his footsteps,” said Jerome Galpin, NWES President / CEO

Day joined the NASCAR Whelen Euro Series in 2015 coming from GT racing and immediately emerged as one of the brightest talents of the European NASCAR Series at the wheel of his iconic yellow #54 CAAL Racing Chevrolet. The Ashdod native won two times the Junior Trophy in 2015 and 2016, when he finished second and third in points, and scored a total of 7 race wins and four pole positions.

Day was also the first driver coming from outside North America to be selected for the NASCAR Next program – a program that since its inception featured drivers like Kyle Larson, Ryan Blaney, Chase Elliott, Daniel Suarez, Darrell Wallace Jr. and many others – highlighting once again how the NASCAR Whelen Euro Series represents the ideal stepping stone for a NASCAR career. Day will be the 14th NASCAR Next driver to race at Cup level.

The Toyota / Save Mart 350 weekend from Sonoma Raceway will begin on Friday, June 23 with two practice sessions on the 1.99-mile (3.2 km) road course. Qualifying will take place on Saturday at 8:45 pm CET and the race will begin at 9 pm CET on Sunday, June 25.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=24231.msg116797#msg116797
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

HTML ezBlock

site
stats