Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Three is lucky number for Trey Johnson at Plymouth Speedway  (Read 810 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
Three is lucky number for Trey Johnson at Plymouth Speedway

PLYMOUTH (JULY 29, 2017) – In basketball, trey means three. In playing cards or dice, trey has three spots. Warsaw’s Trey Johnson held true to the meaning of trey, taking his third win at Plymouth Speedway.

Saturday night’s opening race of the 600 Open saw Johnson take the lead and the win from – of course – his third starting spot.

Granger’s Andrew Cockman moved from his ninth starting spot to take second place, and Granger’s Chad Hartzell, starting second, battled lapped traffic and finished third.

“Mostly, I enjoy racing with these guys,” Johnson said, “and putting on a good show for these fans.”

Portage’s Charlie Poague jumped out to an early lead over Eric Hunter of Kokomo in the Super Streets. A caution at lap 7 bunched the field and at restart, another quick caution came out. Hunter had fallen back and Poague ended up involved in a lap 11 caution, giving the lead to Battleground’s Preston Oberle. Hobart’s Bob McLean was hot on his tail, finishing second, and Gary’s Shaun Wiltjer was less than a car-length behind, finishing third.

Oberle, who drove his for-sale car to the checkers, said, “It’s tough to even make it on the podium,” he added, thanking all of his sponsors and those who have helped him, along with his baby son, Parker.

Plymouth’s Tom Grall distanced himself from the field by lap 2 of the Thunder Stock race. Sheldon Oberle worked on the leader, while a pair of South Bend drivers, Bryan Banta and Shane Sanders, fought for third – Sanders coming out the winner of that duel. With two laps to go and caution for debris in turn 3, Grall and Oberle were poised for a two-lap shootout to the checkers. On turn 3 of the last lap, Oberle spun and Sanders secured the second spot. Atlanta, Ga.’s Mark Swan finished third, in only his 10th start on dirt, he said.
“I’m glad we got the car straightened out,” Grall said if his win, “and hope all that bad luck is behind us.”

Jamie Lomax of Lake Village and Randy Lines of Marion made it another tight race for the second week in a row in the Modifieds race. Last week, Lines slid past Lomax on the last quarter lap to steal the win. This week, the two battled lap traffic with eight laps to go, with less than a car length between them. A caution with three laps to go helped Lomax extend his lead for the win. Lines finished second and Logansport’s Bradley Jameson was third.

“I knew if I hit my marks for those last couple laps I’d get it done. Randy always runs clean. It’s always fun racing here, great track, great facility,” Lomax said, adding he had a great turnout in his pits for autograph night.

“I hope that was as fun for the fans as it was for me,” Lines said. “The last three or four laps I thought I had something for him. You can’t take a win for granted in this series. You get on a win streak and other drivers come nippin’ up on ya.”

The Pro Sprint series closed out the night. Plymouth’s Zane DeVault and Lakeville’s Garrett Saunders battled for the lead, with DeVault on the low line and Saunders up high. Getting into lapped traffic, Saunders turned to the low line. With two laps to go, Akron, Ohio’s Steven Hogue tumbled end over end out of turn 4. That set up a green/white/checker. DeVault took the high line of the track to the checkers, with Saunders finishing second and Warsaw’s Michael Summers third.

The Mini Wedge race was won by Ryin Zelmer of Eau Claire, Mich. Second was Justin White of Stevensville, Mich. and Clinton Hunter of Kokomo was third.

Saturday, Aug. 5 is the American Ethanol Late Models, Mods and $400 to win Thunder Stocks. Gates, open at 4 p.m.; heats at 6 and racing at 7. Cost is $20 for adults; children 6-12 are $7 and 5 and under free. Pit passes are $35.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=24699.msg117265#msg117265
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

HTML ezBlock

site
stats