Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

+-

Sponsors Ads

Author Topic: ANDRETTI AUTOSPORT GRAND PRIX OF LONG BEACH QUALIFYING REPORT 04.14.18  (Read 62 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
VERIZON INDYCAR SERIES

GRAND PRIX OF LONG BEACH
QUALIFYING REPORT
NAPA Racing driver Alexander Rossi stole the show in qualifying today, on the way to his second career Verizon P1 Award. And while the No. 27 will start from the front for the 85-lap race, penalties and misfortune struck the remaining Andretti drivers during qualifying for the Grand Prix of Long Beach.

Sunday's race will go green at 4:40 p.m. ET with live broadcast on NBCSN at 4 p.m. and complete radio coverage via the IndyCar Radio Network on SiriusXM 209/214.
 No. 27 NAPA AUTO PARTS HONDA

•STARTING POSITION: 1st
•QUALIFYING TIME: 1:06.5528
•OF NOTE: Earned his first pole position of 2018, the second of his Verizon IndyCar Series career on the streets of Long Beach
“The team is doing a great job. Hats off to all of them, to Honda, to everyone who has put in so much effort. The big job is tomorrow so we have to execute that. I feel like we have given up to two potential wins so we are trying not to do that again tomorrow. But, the team definitely executed some NAPA Know How today and we are really happy to start from the best spot tomorrow. Obviously you go out every single session and believe that you have the best car and the best opportunity to do it. We have been so strong, we were strong here last year. The NAPA AUTO PARTS Honda has been so fast and I’m looking forward to leading the field tomorrow.”

No. 28 DHL HONDA
•STARTING POSITION: 7th
•QUALIFYING TIME: 1:07.1415
•OF NOTE: Served a questionable drive through penalty during Round 2 of qualifying, which played part in the No. 28 not advancing to the Firestone Fast Six

“The DHL guys did a great job with the car and they deserve better. We had a front row car here, and we’re starting seventh. The drive through penalty in qualifying isn’t something I really understand, and once we got issued that we didn’t have time to warm up the tires and set a new fast lap.  What we do is, we leave with a certain amount of time to get exactly the two or three laps we need. The tires are set to a pressure timed to those number of laps, so when you get a drive through like that your [tire temperatures] aren’t up yet, and you can’t get up to speed in time.”

On the drive through penalty: “We were in the top 12 and had a car that was easily fast enough to advance. We were leaving the pits on red tires and we did what I’ve always done here – which is put the right-side tires on the right side of the reflectors on the end of pit lane. From the vantage point in the car, you can’t see any paint down or anything else, so that’s what we’ve always gone on. They’re saying there’s an issue and I cut the end of the line and my timing beacon didn’t register on their system, so they immediately penalized me with a drive through. Our data says that same beacon did trip the transponder, the timing beacon. We’re at a loss for what actually happened. Beyond that, I feel none of this has anything to do with qualifying. [The rule] is put in place for racing purposes so a car on pit lane does not come out in front of a car on the racetrack – but there were no other cars in the vicinity. I’m very frustrated with the call and we’re working to understand the discrepancy between our data and [INDYCAR’s].” 

No. 26 GROUP ONE THOUSAND ONE HONDA
•STARTING POSITION: 16th
•QUALIFYING TIME: 1:08.1763
•OF NOTE: Continues to gain pace in the No. 26 machine, just missed advancing to the top 12

“We missed advancing slightly today. I got into the wall on the blacks in the first run, so was maybe a little too caution at the end when we shouldn’t have been. The Andretti cars have been great, obviously Ryan and Alex are really liking what they have. I just need more time to figure it out. We were close to advancing in St. Pete and here, so hopefully in Barber we’ll figure it out. But we have a race to focus on now, and we’re looking forward to it.”

No. 98 U.S. CONCRETE / CURB HONDA
•STARTING POSITION: 20th
•QUALIFYING TIME: 1:08.5294
•OF NOTE: After recovering from mechanical issues Friday, spun in Turn 1 during the first round of qualifying resulting in a penalty an the loss of the 98's fastest lap

“I made a mistake pushing too hard into (Turn 1) and ended up in the runoff. Once we flat spotted the tires, we didn’t really have hopes of a faster lap. It’s on me and that is going to make it hard to sleep tonight. We were riddled with an issue yesterday and the whole crew worked really hard last night to get to the bottom of it and correct it. We kind of started from scratch this morning and I think we headed in the right direction. I think the U.S. Concrete / Curb car had the pace to advance. Starting 20th doesn’t show our true pace, or the true talents of the 98 team.”

MEDIA CONTACTS

Ryann Rigsby
Vice President, Communications
ryann.rigsby@andrettiautosport.com
+1 610.909.7312 

Britni Allen
Senior Manager, Communications, INDYCAR
britni.allen@andrettiautosport.com
+1 740.816.2748

Phil Zielinski
Manager, Communications, Formula E
phil.zielinski@andrettiautosport.com