Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: ROBICHON HEADS ANOTHER BRIAN GRAHAM RACING PODIUM SWEEP IN RACE 1 AT BARC GRAND  (Read 1815 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
ROBICHON HEADS ANOTHER BRIAN GRAHAM RACING PODIUM SWEEP
IN RACE 1 AT BARC GRAND PRIX OF ONTARIO

BOWMANVILLE, ON (June 27, 2015) – Zacharie Robichon added another win to his racing resume and led a second podium sweep for Brian Graham Racing in as many weekends in today’s first race of the BARC Grand Prix of Ontario weekend at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park.

The event had endured more than an hour of heavy rain by the time the Toyo Tires F1600 Championship took to the track, which left competitors dealing not only with standing water but actively flowing rivulets in spots, adding to the standard suite of challenges presented by this demanding form of racing.

Despite the conditions, the running was marred by only two incidents.

The first occurred off the start, when Hao Chen – subbing in the No. 4 Brian Graham Racing Piper while its usual driver Mikhail Goikhberg competes elsewhere this weekend – went off track in turn 2, causing a full-course caution. Chen endured suspension damage and was unable to continue.

The second brought the race to an early end when Amy Castell went off course and into the tires in turn 4. Her car sustained front end damage in the incident, and with a lengthy clean-up on deck and only five minutes left in the running the stewards elected to bring out the checkered flag. Castell’s team is expecting her to be ready for Sunday’s second race of the weekend.

During the green flag laps in between the majority of the field ran a calculated and conservative race, which served front-row starters Robichon and his BGR teammate Reid Arnold very well as they each retained their starting positions to the end.

“The conditions were pretty miserable, but it was still fun to drive out there,” Robichon said. “You can’t complain any time you’re in a race car. I’m really happy with the way the car was. I think for tomorrow if it rains again we’ve got more to bring.”

“It sure was eventful,” Arnold added. “Yesterday my engine let go on me, so we were wondering if this car was going to work out. Everything came together except for the weather. But we still had a good run, brought the car back in one piece, and stood with my teammates on the podium.”

Ben Hurst enjoyed the first podium result of his fledgling car racing career, which got started at the beginning of this season. Hurst started the race in 9th place and gained six positions over the abbreviated running to complete the BGR podium sweep in A Class.

“I’d only been at Mosport once in the wet, so I just wanted to keep it safe,” Hurst said. “I saw that I was faster than a few guys in front of me, so I took opportunities where I could. I didn’t know I was 3rd until I crossed the line and the team told me over the radio. That was pretty awesome.”

In B Class, it was a great day for the Lobban family, who are long-time supporters of grassroots racing in Ontario. Brothers Graham and Keith Lobban both made appearances on the podium with Graham finishing 1st and Keith in 3rd. Standing between them in 2nd place was B Class points leader Connor Wagland.

Another full day of action is on tap for the Toyo Tires F1600 Championship on Sunday with practice, qualifying, and a second race on tap. Live timing is available for all sessions at racehero.io.

SERIES CONTACT: Jason Sharpe, (416) 557-5451 or jasons@movemotorsports.com, Twitter: @jasonsharpe

If photographs are required please contact Jason Sharpe (416) 557-5451 or jasons@movemotorsports.com

Photos by Michael Haley

The Toyo Tires F1600 Championship Series is the premiere open wheel series in Ontario, sanctioned by CASC Ontario Region and proudly supported by Toyo Tires, Honda HPD, Heather’s Heros, Cove Dentistry, Stäubli, Lincoln Electric and MK Technologies. The series is comprised of a six event, double-header format and competes at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park, Shannonville Motorsport Park and Calabogie Motorsports Park.

The Formula 1600 Super Series is the combined premiere events of the Toyo Tires F1600 Championship Series from Ontario and the Toyo Tires Formula Tour 1600 Series from Quebec.  The series is comprised of a four event, double-header format and competes at CTMP’s Victoria Day SpeedFest, Formula One Grand Prix of Montreal, the Bay of Quinte Grand Prix at Shannonville Motorsport Park and the Grand Prix of Trois Rivières.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=21343.msg113819#msg113819
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

HTML ezBlock

site
stats