Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Daniel Hawn Doubles Down at Flamboro Speedway  (Read 800 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
Daniel Hawn Doubles Down at Flamboro Speedway
« on: August 31, 2017, 07:24:51 AM »

On an emotional night of racing, everything fittingly came together for Daniel Hawn as he won both of the OSCAAR Pro Midget features.

Before the first event, Hawn led a pair of parade laps ahead of the double-upped field with the crowd taking a moment of silence to honor his father Don Hawn, who passed away earlier in the week.

“When our own Daniel Hawn took the lead lap on Saturday night at Flamboro Speedway, we all followed him for 2 pace laps in memory of his dad's car No. 2,” series director Charles Priestley said. “It was an emotional ride, and the crowds at Flamboro all stood to pay their last respects to a man and driver that generations of race fans have great memories of.”

Charles Priestley and Jordan Hanna led the field to the green flag, with Hanna taking the early advantage. Like he has done throughout this year thus far, he began to extend his advantage easily, catching up to the back of the field. Though just as he was set to beginning lapping cars halfway through, a wheel would come off, sending him around and up into the turn two wall. Hanna was uninjured, but unable to continue with the damage.

The incident handed the lead over to Daniel Hawn, who did not look back the rest of the way en route to victory. It marks Hawn’s second victory and ninth top-five in 10 races this season.

Ted Greenwood finished second for a season-best, with Craig Pitchell in third for his fifth top-five in seven starts. Charles Priestley placed fourth in his series debut, and first start behind the wheel in eight years. Brent Kemps was fifth for his third top-five.

Shawn Paul finished sixth to tie his season-best, with Rob Summers in seventh for his eighth top-10. Brody Rickwood placed eighth for his 10th top-10, with Gary Triska in ninth for his fourth top-10. Jordan Hanna got credited with 10th, followed by Owen Elliott in 11th after failing to start due to mechanical issues.

The second feature saw Brody Rickwood and Rob Summers lead the field to green, but it didn’t take long for Daniel Hawn to make his way to the front, leading the rest of the way en route to victory.

Craig Pitchell finished second for a career-best, with Ted Greenwood in third for his fifth top-five. Shawn Paul finished placed fourth for a season-best, with Rob Summers in fifth for his sixth top-five. Brody Rickwood finished sixth, followed by Charles Priestley, Brent Kemps, Gary Triska, Jordan Hanna and Owen Elliott.

Following the event, the OSCAAR Pro Midget drivers unanimously decided to donate the entire driver purse to the Hawn family.

“We were all honoured to be on the track with the Hawn family on Saturday night, and as a token of our respect to Don and his boys, all the drivers and crew from Saturday have unanimously decided that we will be donating the entire driver purse for the night to Daniel and his family,” Priestley said. “We know money can't replace anyone, ever. But, it's the least we can do. So from all of us, to the Hawn Family, you have our deepest condolences and respect.”

The gesture did not go unnoticed by Daniel Hawn, who wrote a response which can be read below in its entirety.

“I don't even know what to say to you guys right now.......you guys don't have to do that,” he said. “Thursday and Friday were the worst days of my life. I never for a second thought that I would have to go to the race track without my dad. Racing was his life; he was our rock to our family and never had a bad word to say to anyone. He would give the shirt off his back to anyone in need. I wish one day to be half the man he was. He touched so many people’s lives and I see that today.

“Flamboro Speedway was a hard day for me and Tyler. I want to thank everyone for everything they had to say to us. I also want to thank Simon Elliott and Charles Priestley for the memorial stickers and all the drivers for putting them on. You guys made our night a little easier.

“I miss my dad so much and wish I had just one more hour with him. But I know he's watching over me, my brother and mom.”

The next race for the OSCAAR Pro Midgets is at Grand Bend Speedway on September 9.

Race Report by Ashley McCubbin / Photos by Peter Anderson for Flamboro Speedway

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=25035.msg117601#msg117601
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« on: August 31, 2017, 07:24:51 AM »

HTML ezBlock

site
stats