Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Att: 4Fun Drivers at Sunset  (Read 38587 times)

Offline SSWebguy

• Track Owner
  • EX-Webguy :)
Re: Att: 4Fun Drivers at Sunset
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 08:27:59 AM »
Well if the rumours were true the Four Fun's days were numbered anyway, so this sure is one way to make that happen.  Now you "rubbin is racin" guys will understand why the previous management was so strict about NO contact - by the sounds of how rough the Four Funs have been this year, this decision was inevitable.  Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with the short notice - but if the rough drivers out there can't respect their peers on the track something had to be done.  THOSE are the people you should blame. 

I can't believe I'm gonna say this - I don't blame Wes at all for this decision. :)

This really hurts you guys that just wanna race and don't try to kill each other. 

Holland Landing, you may have something there with Peterborough.  This all may work out pretty good for them.  If the drivers don't go at least the cars probably will.

Mark

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8186.msg51205#msg51205

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 08:27:59 AM »

Offline slide112

• Pit Crew
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 09:58:13 AM »
when did this come in affect????? pretty pointless division then if you ask me!!! thank god for wes good and his terrific decisions! plane and simple decisions like this is what is goin to make short track racing in canada die! i applaude you mr. good

Nothing will make short track racing die quicker than someone dieing....

+10 Ross. You are Absolutley Correct.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8186.msg51206#msg51206

Offline Slammer

• Double Zero
  • Track Owner
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 10:07:43 AM »
Sunset Speedway      “Four Fun” 2008 Rules

Not For Serious Racers, Just For Serious Fun

22) Mild contact is generally part of racing. In the Four Fun class it is not.
Deliberate or out of control contact will not be allowed.

The first year I saw this class ZERO contact was the rule period if it happened intentional or not you were out.

I think at that time this was something that all drivers paid very close attention too as they knew, even a litte scrub your out.

Look at this last Saturday, the same guys were into it more than once.
I just think somewhere everybody lost site of what the class was intended for, and now the track has to make a stand due to everything that went down this past weekend.

Personally I think killing the season for everybody and giving them 4 days to install cages is absurd.

I.M.O.
Saturday let em run, we have a new falgman for the 4 cyl's and 4 funs, make sure hes up to speed on the zero contact rule. Follow through with it.

A couple of these incidents on saturday could have been avoided had this rule been enforced from the start.

I think Saturday was a real eye opener for everybody, however I don't think it is unfair to say this class has been the most physical out of all 4 in the last year and a half.
Some due to inexperience, some due to over agressiveness and some lack of officiating, even with that being said the flagman should not have to babysit the class either. It is 0 contact plain and simple.

The rules are the rules and the envelope has been pushed to it's limit in the class, the Tech guy quit as a result of a lot of crap thrown his way brought on by drivers who wanted to continually push it.

It is unfortuneate that it looks like things are headed the way they are but in hindsight I think it could have been avoided.

It's terrible a few people got banged up Saturday, I don't disagree with the need for updated standards of safety in the class, however I don't think the lack of was what caused the circus saturday.
Granted if the cars were better equipped the injuries may not have been what they were, but in this class it should not have happened in the first place.

I think 90% of the people in 4 fun are more than capable of putting on an exciting no contact show and go green to checkered without any grief.

It may be too late to salvage the balance of the season with only a handfull of cars having the required equiptment in them now to run and I am sure there won't be many who will do it with 5 weeks left to run and I really feel bad for all of you.

Don't give up on it untill something official is posted or otherwise, it may be worth trying to get together as a group and discussing it with Wes and the track officials.
I am sure Wes is taking a lot of heat on both ends after Saturday night.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8186.msg51207#msg51207

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 10:07:43 AM »

Offline Drive32

• Team Owner
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 10:14:53 AM »
After sleeping on it, I woke up this morning to find that my Tempo was still on my mind.

I am severly disappointed in these decisions. Honestly, don't tell us one thing and then switch it up without notice what so ever.

On another hand, you have to think of it this way, we were off the track for four of five weeks, getting back on there crazy things are bound to happen (it's happened before and not in the 4funs, I'm sure.)  It's unfortunate that what happened did, it's obvious NOBODY wants people to be taken to the hospital. But c'mon, to spring this on us at 11pm on a MONDAY night and sending track staff to tell us and not even a courtesy phone call, please. Ridiculous. But I guess stuff like that has come expected, just like there was never any phone calls about rainouts either...

Like I said before, I work nights, so is Wes going to be up at 8am to let me into the track at 9am so I can get my car, if I so happen to have a trailor with me, and if I decide to comply to these new rules in three days?

I'm baffled. Completely baffled. With all these changes, (I know it's been discussed many times) that people are just going to move up into the roadrunners and they're be a ton of rookies in that class wrecking everybody else there too. How do you want to weed them out then? What may be easier would just be to say all fourfuns are now "Charger" division cars, taking a page out of Barrie's books, and they need to be set up like one. End. But don't give us short notice and like no time.

The idea of changing all these things out for NEXT year had a bigger and better responce from EVERYBODY.

This idea of Peterborough sounds great... maybe I'll join in. Road trip anybody? We could all meet in the Sunset Parkinglot and have a big convoy of FourFuns... haha

Maybe somebody up that way will buy my Tempo...

Slammer - Of course, there is no contact allowed... or there was no contact allowed. But there's been too much contact this season and not enough cautions and not enough black flags. I think thats all it was. I mean really you get the odd rub, doesn't completely warrent a BF, but when you see one car trunk another car, or spin them, or intentionally run them up or down the track using force that may cause one or both drivers to lose control, and may cause a pile up, maybe instead of shaking the black flag like they're scolding a naughty child they should just full out wave it. But yes, maybe our class is too far gone now. It's sad.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8186.msg51208#msg51208

Miss Sunset knows how to neuter.
Don't mess with the new car. =)

Offline rossevans30

• Series Owner
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 10:30:13 AM »

Holland Landing, you may have something there with Peterborough.  This all may work out pretty good for them.  If the drivers don't go at least the cars probably will.

Mark

Do you guys not LEARN!!! All the 4-fun now go to Peterborough with the SAME rules. Doing the SAME thing.

Guess what, its going to end the SAME way!!!!

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8186.msg51210#msg51210
"If you spend as much time working on your car as you did online, you would be fast" - Stompin Tom Walters

Offline Drive32

• Team Owner
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 10:36:51 AM »

Mark

Do you guys not LEARN!!! All the 4-fun now go to Peterborough with the SAME rules. Doing the SAME thing.

I think the good drivers of our division are hoping that the idiots of our division won't follow us to Peterborough.
I'm sorry that this was your first time ever seeing FourFuns race, and as a driver in that class, I'll tell you it usually doesn't turn out like a freakin wreckfest. :(

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8186.msg51211#msg51211

Offline SSWebguy

• Track Owner
  • EX-Webguy :)
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 11:25:58 AM »

Mark

Hey don't blast off at me Ross - I only said it was a good thing for Peterborough (in terms of car counts), not that it was a good thing in general.  Yes, it will end the same way.

Mark

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8186.msg51214#msg51214

Offline rossevans30

• Series Owner
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 12:14:36 PM »

Mark

Hey don't blast off at me Ross - I only said it was a good thing for Peterborough (in terms of car counts), not that it was a good thing in general.  Yes, it will end the same way.

Mark

Sorry Mark. I didn't mean to. Your post just was a good summary that I used for my response. It wasn't dirrected at you.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8186.msg51220#msg51220
"If you spend as much time working on your car as you did online, you would be fast" - Stompin Tom Walters

Offline rossevans30

• Series Owner
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 12:21:16 PM »
I think the good drivers of our division are hoping that the idiots of our division won't follow us to Peterborough.
I'm sorry that this was your first time ever seeing FourFuns race, and as a driver in that class, I'll tell you it usually doesn't turn out like a freakin wreckfest. :(

There are idiots, but there always was hard driving contact racing and mechanical falure that cause crashes.

Unless you want to change your class to no contact (that would be very unforuntate, the racing contact really made it exciting). Ban anyone who touches another car, rebuild and insepct EVERY part on your car every week, and install rubber walls at the track, you can never run without proper safety equipment.

Get over it. Get the gear in your car. You will see how easy it is, and then go racing.

4 days notice. Oh well, thats life, fix the car for the week after thats 11 days. Think of it as another week of for rain, or something beyond your control. If you can't get a cage installed in 11 days, most likely you just plain don't have the skill to do it, and the length of time is is irrelivant.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8186.msg51221#msg51221

Offline Drive32

• Team Owner
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 12:36:38 PM »
There are idiots, but there always was hard driving contact racing and mechanical falure that cause crashes.

Unless you want to change your class to no contact (that would be very unforuntate, the racing contact really made it exciting). Ban anyone who touches another car, rebuild and insepct EVERY part on your car every week, and install rubber walls at the track, you can never run without proper safety equipment.

Get over it. Get the gear in your car. You will see how easy it is, and then go racing.

4 days notice. Oh well, thats life, fix the car for the week after thats 11 days. Think of it as another week of for rain, or something beyond your control. If you can't get a cage installed in 11 days, most likely you just plain don't have the skill to do it, and the length of time is is irrelivant.

The class has always been no-contact, or at least it was suppose be no contact. Like I said previously, the blackflag hasn't been used and some drivers have taken advatage of that.

I'm not getting over it, I only make so much money and only so much can go towards racing. Building a new car for next year and buying doubles of everything I need so I can put crap into this car and ito the new car, makes no sense to me.

And you know what, you're right, I don't have skill to put in a new roll cage and all that other stuff nor the equipment to get the car to my house (though I'm sure I have a ton of people willing to help me,),  I have awkward hours which make it hard for me to do anything with the car, let alone put a bunch of stuff in it.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8186.msg51222#msg51222

Offline chasinracin

• Pit Crew
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 12:40:04 PM »
Real racers don't leave their heap of scrap at the track all week and than show up to go racing with no budget in mind. When's the last time these so called racecar drivers had their so-called racecars on a hoist to check things out. If you want to shoot some laps to get your racing fix- than enter the King of the hill! or better yet get your friends and head on down to the go-kart track. 4 funs turned out to be BRUTAL racing and Wes has finally made the right call to make them safe. Murphy's Law will come in play if he decides to ride out the year and make the changes in 2009. You can bet that something will definitely go wrong and another driver will get hurt. Get a Sponsor to help and if you can't find one, than your in the wrong sport.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8186.msg51223#msg51223

Offline Hardcore Racing

• Series Owner
    • http://www.sprintprinting.on.ca/jtracing
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2008, 12:43:48 PM »
And the worse thing about it these cars will now have a cash value of scrap. I can't see anybody buying one of these at our local track. If you have to go through the trouble of installing a seat, cage and fuel cell you might as well start out with a new car. Having said that, and I hope it doesn't happen, you might as well get a standard and just go to 4 cylinder. The appeal to buying one of these cars before to a beginner was you can just hop behind the wheel and go but now you have modifications which will be beyond the scope of a beginner.

I would hope that if things go as I think they will that the 4 cylinder division will be split into 2 next year like Barrie and the 4 fun and beginner 4 cyl cars can run in that division just like Barries Chargers. I think it will be a mess to have 60 cars in our division. Even when one of the 4 fun cars makes the changes it will be legal to run in our division.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8186.msg51225#msg51225
Harold - JT Racing - #42 four cylinder
2004 Sunset Speedway Track Champion

Offline marcisfan

• Track Owner
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2008, 12:57:42 PM »

Gotta disagree with you there Ross.  Unfortunatly, Many people have been killed at short tracks all over North America, and the sport is still alive.  Sunset had a death in 1997 or 98 (in a full caged Challenger car) and as you found out last weekend, the track is still standing. 

I don't disagree with your opinion that the safety has to be improved in the class, but the above statement just makes no sense.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8186.msg51226#msg51226

Offline rossevans30

• Series Owner
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2008, 01:38:38 PM »

Gotta disagree with you there Ross.  Unfortunatly, Many people have been killed at short tracks all over North America, and the sport is still alive.  Sunset had a death in 1997 or 98 (in a full caged Challenger car) and as you found out last weekend, the track is still standing. 

I don't disagree with your opinion that the safety has to be improved in the class, but the above statement just makes no sense.

You wouldn't be thinking that if you were the challenger driver....

When someone dies you get a lawsuit. A percentage of belame is put on each party. In the case of 4-funs a HUGE percentage would be put on the speedway for not having proper safty in place If that didn't kill them, and they were able to get insurace every again, you can count on some pencile pusher insurance guy in Toronto, that can't find the gas cap on his BMW will be the one making the "safety" rules for us to follow. Thats the death of racing I'm talking about.

While we are on the death topic, do you want one of the young kids, with the big smile on their face, that came up to you to ask for your autograph, to see someone die infront of them?

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8186.msg51229#msg51229

Offline Hardcore Racing

• Series Owner
    • http://www.sprintprinting.on.ca/jtracing
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2008, 01:42:03 PM »
Just so that doesn't appear to be a rumour I did have another driver curious about this call Wes and he did confirm that in fact all those items will be needed now to race.

On a lighter note he did mention that CSC has a offer for the track for $650 you get a cage, seat and suit.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8186.msg51230#msg51230
Harold - JT Racing - #42 four cylinder
2004 Sunset Speedway Track Champion

HTML ezBlock

site
stats