Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: ANDRETTI AUTOSPORT 101st Running of the Indianapolis 500 RACE REPORT 05.28.17  (Read 709 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
VERIZON INDYCAR SERIES
101st Running of the Indianapolis 500
RACE REPORT
FAST FACTS.

•Andretti Autosport has won three of the last four Indianapolis 500s.
•Today marks Andretti Autosport's fifth Indianapolis 500 victory (Dan Wheldon - '05,  Dario Franchitti - '07, Ryan Hunter-Reay - '14, Alexander Rossi - '16, Takuma Sato - '17) and second-consecutive win.
•Fifteen different drivers led laps during today's race, including four drivers from Andretti Autosport.
•There were 35 lead changes during 500 miles at IMS today and a total of 50 caution laps.
 No. 26 ANDRETTI AUTOSPORT HONDA
•Started 4 // Finished 1
•First Japanese driver to win the Indianapolis 500
•Earned second-career victory in the Verizon IndyCar Series
•Led a total of 17 laps on his way to victory
•2017 was Sato's eighth Indy 500 start

"Unbelievable feeling. I cannot thank this whole team (enough). Look at these guys. Fantastic. It was obviously a tough, tough race. But Helio really drives fair. I can trust him. I can really (trust him) coming from the outside. It was fantastic race. What a race. Hopefully the crowd enjoyed it. It’s beautiful. I dreamed of something like this since I was 12. I can’t thank everyone enough for their support."

No. 98 NAPA AUTO PARTS / CURB HONDA
•Started 3 // Finished 7
•Led 23 laps before an extended pit stop took the No. 98 out of the top five
“Congratulations to Takuma. It's a tough pill to swallow because we had, without a doubt, a car that was good enough to win today. We didn't have the downforce to be that far back in the pack, nor the gearing, so we should've never been that far back in the first place. We didn't have much fuel left in the car, and though it worked for us last year, we can't rely on that."

No. 27 UNITED FIBER & DATA HONDA
•Started 8 // Finished 8
•Minor contact resulted in loss of a rear winglet, forcing rear wing change on Lap 81
“Today just wasn’t our day. We were on our own setup island compared to the rest of the team. Something that was really good last Monday, we weren't able to replicate it today. We had issues on the restart. The car wasn’t spooling up and then had the rear winglet break, so a lot of unfortunate things happened but I got through a lot of huge wrecks as well. It just wasn’t our day. We salvaged  an eight-place finish."

No. 29 MCLAREN HONDA ANDRETTI
•Started 5 // Finished 24
•Led 27 laps in his Indianapolis 500 debut at Indianapolis Motor Speedway before retiring early with engine issues
"Obviously disappointed not to finish the race because obviously every race you compete, you want to be at the checkered flag. Today was not possible. Anyway, was a great experience, the last two weeks. I came here basically to prove myself, to challenge myself. I know that I can be as quick as anyone in an F1 car. I didn't know if I can be as quick as anyone in an IndyCar.

"It was nice to have this competitive feeling, even leading the Indy 500, you know. One lap you put on the lead there, it was already a nice feeling. I was passing, watching the tower, saw the 29 on top of it. I was thinking at that moment if Zak or someone from the team was taking a picture, because I want that picture at home.

"Thanks to IndyCar, amazing experience. Thanks to Indianapolis. Thanks to the fans. I felt at home. I'm not American, but I felt really proud to race here.

"Congratulations to Sato San, to Andretti. We have been sharing the last two weeks all the meetings in the morning, the meetings in the afternoon. Takuma was a lot of help, coming from F1. The last two laps I was on my knees really pushing Sato. Extremely happy for the final result."

No. 28 DHL HONDA
•Started 10 // Finished 27
•Day ended abruptly when engine failed on Lap 137 while battling for the lead
•The 2014 Indy 500 champion led a total of 28 laps

“Today was disappointing. You know the luck continues for us. It’s unfortunate. We had a rocket ship. We would’ve been right there at the end for the win, but what can you do? It’s just really bad luck, it’s unfortunate. This team has worked so hard. I had a fast car all month and coming from 10th just kind of took my time getting back up there up to the lead. Had a huge lead at one point. Between the lappers and everything I was really happy about that. And then the yellows came out and it’s just been a funky race that way, but you know I just feel for everyone that put so much work into this. DHL certainly deserved to win today... And the whole Andretti Autosport team and AutoNation they’ve been behind us. You just have to chalk it up to bad luck I guess. We have Detroit next week and have to get back to work."

No. 50 MICHAEL SHANK RACING W/ ANDRETTI AUTOSPORT HONDA
•Started 27 // Finished 31
•Spun after hitting piece of debris left on track from competitor's contact with the wall causing an early end to the driver's rookie run at Indianapolis

“There was a whole bunch of debris on the track - I hit some of it and the car spun. It’s a super disappointing day because we worked so hard to get here so to have the day end like this is heartbreaking. Everyone is trying to slow down so quickly and trying to then dodge the debris. I was slowing down and trying to avoid everything so I don’t know what else I could have done at that point. This was still the best experience I’ve ever had. The Indianapolis 500 represents so much in the state of Indiana and to the racing world, but it just didn’t go the right way for us today. Thank you to my family and friends who supported me on this journey and especially to my partners who came onboard to make this race happen for me. Thank you SiriusXM, AutoNation, Gap Guard and so many others for making this dream come true for not only me but the entire Michael Shank Racing with Andretti Autosport team.”

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=24034.msg116600#msg116600
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

HTML ezBlock

site
stats