Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Marriage proposal from the podium at Plymouth Speedway  (Read 782 times)

Online CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
Marriage proposal from the podium at Plymouth Speedway
« on: June 18, 2017, 12:31:31 PM »

PLYMOUTH (June 17, 2017) – Merrillville’s Joe Spiewak didn’t get the finish he was hoping for, from the top starting spot, as he slid up to the wall in Turn 3 at Plymouth Speedway Saturday night. Spiewak’s loss was Shaun Wiltjer’s gain, as he led the final field of just six drivers (of the 13-car field) to the finish in the Super Streets race.

They say the third time is a charm, but this marked Wiltjer’s fourth feature win this season. And it wasn’t just the feature win Gary, Ind.’s Wiltjer celebrated on Father’s Day weekend – while on the podium accepting his trophy he confessed that if he won the feature, he would propose to his girlfriend Heidi Garner. And he did, both.

“We all run real clean, thanks to the guys,” Wiltjer said. “The track is great; it seems like there’s a bunch of grip out there. This thing drove unbelievably fast.”

Charlie Poague of Portage was second; David Fritz of Winamac was third; Bob McLean of Hobart was fourth; and Kyle Anderson of Crown Point was fifth. Wiltjer moved ahead in the points – and even further in his relationship – Heidi said yes!

It may not have been a proposal, but another special night was on the books for the 100th career win for Jamie Lomax, of Lake Village, Ind. in the Modifieds. “We started this eight years ago, and we were pretty bad when we started. To get 100 wins now, it’s just outstanding.”

He thanked his fans, sponsor, wife and kids on the winner’s podium. “It’s fun racing with great guys… we always try to keep it clean,” he said.

Matt Mitchell, of Lafayette, was second and Randy Lines was third. “I got a big chunk of mud about half way through and I couldn’t even use the gas pedal,” Lines said. When asked his opinion of the Playground of Power track, Lines said, “I consider this home now; I’m used to whatever comes my way. I want to congratulate Jamie on his 100 today.” Fourth was Devin Wright and fifth was Cameron Head.

The highlights continued as the night went on, as the Pro Sprints race saw a heated battle trading third and fourth place between Eric Saunders of Lakeville and Michael Summers of Warsaw, until Summers’s wing came loose and he had to be pushed to the pits under caution. The end of this race looked similar to last week’s - and many weeks prior - with Zane DeVault and Garrett Saunders finishing in the top two spots. Two weeks ago, it was DeVault; last week G. Saunders and back up front this week, DeVault. Eric Saunders was third. Fourth place was Steven Hogue and fifth was John Gurley.

“This is a good present for my dad I guess,” DeVault said. DeVault had gifting on his mind, as he wound up donating his first-place trophy to the Lakeville Area Boy Scouts, who were special guests of the Speedway Saturday night.

Not to be outdone in exciting events of the night, in the 600 Open, Chad Hartzell and Dylan Woodling were in a heated battle when Hartzell’s tire caught on the inside track, making him tip over in Turn 4. After being turned upright and checked by medical staff, Hartzell continued on in the race. Woodling, who started the night at Montpelier and ended up in Plymouth late, took the checkers, followed by Trey Johnson of Warsaw and Michael Landis of Logansport. “That was a lot of fun,” Landis said of his podium finish from 13th starting spot, “I haven’t had that much fun in a long time.”

Battleground, Ind.’s Sheldon Oberle won the Thunder Stocks, followed by Plymouth’s Tom Grall and South Bend’s Shane Saunders. Fourth and fifth were Clint Hall and Pete Beiswanger. In the Mini Wedge race, Clinton Hunter was first; Ryin Zelmer was second and Justin White was third. Fourth and fifth were Cade Rush and Chase Kosmatka.

For complete results and season standings, go to plymouthspeedway.myracepass.com.

Thursday, June 29, the Plymouth Speedway hosts UMP DirtCar Racing’s Summer Nationals Hell Tour, featuring Late Models and Mods. Tickets are $25 for adults; $10 for kids 6-12 and 5 and under are free. Gates open at 4; hot laps at 6 and racing starts at 7 p.m.

Next Saturday is a regular night of racing, with Modifieds, Pro Sprints, Super Street, Thunder Stocks, 600 Open Sprints and Mini Wedges. Cost is $12 for adults, $5 for children 6-12 and free for kids 5 and under. Pit passes are $30.

Visit Plymouth Speedway on Facebook for the latest event information, updates and photos

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=24242.msg116808#msg116808
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« on: June 18, 2017, 12:31:31 PM »

HTML ezBlock

site
stats