January 18, 2017, 10:14:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: CRO is getting Revved up for the 2016 race season. This is our 17th Year running the site.

Home   Blogs   Help Canadian Racing Archives Project Articles Picasa Gallery Gallery GoogleTagged Links Login Register  

Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Racing Classifieds - Post for Free
Montreal Inaugural Nascar Busch Series Napa 2000 DieCast Car 1:24
Saginaw 3 Speed Transmission
Micks Motorsports NCaTS Road Course Car

Kat's Metal Litter Box Canadian Rock & Metal Radio

Your Ad here for $175.00 a year

Sponsors Ads
Blog Index » Shadow's Page
Delaware + Flam - GRR Boards down and gone.
by Shadowracer ... May 27, 2009, 04:09:22 PM

So, as some of you may know, the powers that be over at the "unofficial" official Delaware boards at GRR online have told us that our boards will cease to exist within the next 5 days. That's pretty shabby to wait till the last minute to inform us.

If you are a GRR user and have net contact with other GRR users, please let them know they can come here until we get something else sorted out. (It is in the works)

I apologize to anyone I directed to GRR in my Delaware Program column. 

And, to make it even better, it looks like the GRR boards are down as of now.

They sure didn't leave us much tme did they?

Angry

7 Comments | Write Comment
xx
Re: Delaware + Flam - GRR Boards down and gone.
by Shadowracer ... May 28, 2009, 03:05:19 PM
Thanks everyone for chiming in on the matter. Good things will be happening soon!

xx
by jcrashm2 ... May 28, 2009, 09:47:07 AM
it was also linked to the flamboro web site this season also so i thought paxtons would keep it going...GRR mag was more of a program about flammy and delaware

xx
by CanadianRacingOnline ... May 28, 2009, 08:29:53 AM
How about I setup a board and Shadow you host it and I will host it for free? Let me know pm meas I can have it setup in no time.

Evan

xx
by Shadowracer ... May 28, 2009, 12:42:45 AM
i believe, grr site was originally setup/ran by the former track photographer at flamboro thru the flamboro track announcers/with help from the track announcers who also ran the WWS and GRR magazine a few years ago...hardly anyone from flamboro uses it because of the other unofficial flamboro chat site setup by dirt racer steve smith, plus the photo dude wasnt very friendly with some of his reply posts to people using his site, so that also turned people off...so since it was operated by flamboro interests and was used mostly by delaware people, might be why it has stopped ?...I have plugged CRO there a few times.

You're correct on the background of the GRR boards. I never quite understood what the photog's interest was in it, but true enough...it was his sandbox.

There was pretty crummy communication there even at the start. When they announced the formation of GRR magazine and the GRR website, I was right in there wanting to lend a hand, and even drafted up a code of conduct for the boards, and they went so far as to print the whole thing verbatim in the magazine. Few months later, I asked the guy "so...you actually gonna enforce it?" and his response was "enforce what?" He didn't even know what had been printed in his own magazine, and was offended at the notion of the rules coming from somewhere besides him.

But its sad, really. GRR and the WWS was a hell of an idea.  I know Delaware was completely on board with it. That's why the boards were mainly used by Delaware people...Delaware actually supported it as their unofficial message boards and linked to it from Delaware.com. I jumped in with both feet only because I was excited to see something happening and really wanted to see it succeed. That summer of 07 was awesome and it was great to follow our boys to Flammy and report on them almost every week. (Too bad that was mostly a one way thing.)

I'm sorry the GRR boards are gone, and my worry is that we'll fractionalize again and have boards all over the place. This used to be the main board for Delaware, but I fear a few bridges might have been burned a while back with the whole OSS thing and all the people who were resistant to being told they weren't allowed to stink the place up in the name of free speech.

I'd like to see a board supported by Delaware. I understand if they can't run their own, and I don't blame them if they won't. (It's more of a can of worms than anyone realizes.) I asked the GRR guy today how much it would cost to keep the GRR boards running, and the cost sounded reasonable to me, but he still didn't sound interested. That place is gone because the fee they paid for the hosting 2 years ago is not being renewed, and no one was asked or given the option of trying to keep it afloat.

We were given absolutely no options and no notice. And that sucks.  

xx
by Shadowracer ... May 27, 2009, 07:12:53 PM

Thanks Evan. i think something else might be in the works, but we'll see. I might be on to chat a little later about it. Thsi si an opportunity to bring some folks back to the original message board.

xx
by CanadianRacingOnline ... May 27, 2009, 06:04:49 PM
If they want to have a section over here let me know I can help them out. That is a shame.

xx
by jcrashm2 ... May 27, 2009, 06:04:08 PM
i believe, grr site was originally setup/ran by the former track photographer at flamboro thru the flamboro track announcers/with help from the track announcers who also ran the WWS and GRR magazine a few years ago...hardly anyone from flamboro uses it because of the other unofficial flamboro chat site setup by dirt racer steve smith, plus the photo dude wasnt very friendly with some of his reply posts to people using his site, so that also turned people off...so since it was operated by flamboro interests and was used mostly by delaware people, might be why it has stopped ?...I have plugged CRO there a few times.

Shadow Report - May 22 - O'Tools Rent or Buy night (w/pic link)
by Shadowracer ... May 23, 2009, 02:15:09 AM
Pic Links Added Courtesy of JWO Racing.

Howdy all!

Well ring the bells and bang the drums...we actually got a full night's racing in tonight, with nary a raindrop in sight.

Now, this won't be my usual report. Sometimes life happens, and as a result I didn't make it out until past the halfway point in the race. That's the bad news. The good news is I had my lovely 9 yr old assistant reporter with me helping out. (Thanks Em!) Now she's never been to a race before, and we walked in halfway through the second truck feature. We walked the the edge of the hill and looked down at the speedway, all lit up, as the pack of trucks came screaming down the fronstretch. Em's jaw dropped and she said "whoa..this is cool!" � Something about the enthusiasm of a kid just primes me even more for some good old racing action, and we were not to be disappointed!

Also joining us on Richmond Row this week, after a long absence was the lovely Anne Perkins, who celebrated her 29th birthday today! � Grin

So...the racing. � Firstly, had to ask around to see what we'd missed, and so here's a partial:

First Superstock Feature had gone to 11-Lidster. Word was the Superstock race was full of shenanigans. I heard 77-Lake, 98-Morneau, 28-Lawrence, 3-Perkins and others all suffered a little bit of trouble.

First Demar Truck feature had gone to 56-Showler.

First Powerade Modified Feature had gone to 1-Newman.

So we take up our report as the second Damar Aggregates Truck Feature comes to a close. 33-McDonald takes it, followed by 82-Demelo in 2nd, 88-Fothergill in 3rd, 56-SHowler in 4th and 00-Johns in 5th.

2nd SuperStock Feature

Next up are the Superstocks, and we start with 51-Rabideau on the point with 52-Clark alongside. 24-Richmond has trouble before the race even starts, sitting on the end of pit row trying to get the car fired. He gets it fired, but can't muster up much more than a limp, so heads it back to the pits before the green flies.

20 cars start the SS main, and Rabideau takes the early lead, followed by Clark, 67-Hewitt, 2-Prudhomme, and 76-Reid. Doesn't take long before Rabideau's got it well in hand and starts building an impressive lead on Clark. The battle is for 3rd between Prudhomme and Reid. But then disaster struck right around halfway, with a turn 3 mess that left 06-Ott sitting there. Admittedly I was away from my seat and didn't see what happened...but apparently whatever it was was "catastrophic". The announcer said so. I believe it also collected the 55 car of Yeo.

Now after the restart, we get a few more laps in, not much change in the order up front. 7-Sheilds goes around on lap 16 to bring out the caution. Now its time for a little drama. Rabideau, who had built up a nice lead and not looked back yet, comes around under yellow with a flat right rear. Its a 20 lap race, so he needs to go 4 more racing laps. Goes around for a couple yellow flag curcuits, and apparently decides he's going to go for broke and try for the win anyway. The green flag flies, and he manages to hang onto the lead around 1 and 2, but then slows up badly, boxing Clark in and allowing Prudhomme, Lidster, Hewitt and 84-Smith to scoot past the both of them. And thats the way it ended.

Prudhomme gets the win, Lidster in 2nd (a good night for the 11 team!), Hewitt in 3rd, Smith in 4th and Reid in 5th.

After the race and the victory lane stuff, Prudhomme can't get the car fired again and has to get towed off the speedway. Once again, it was apparently "Catastrophic". At this, a brief discussion on the exact meaning of the word catastrophic between myself and Crazylady...right about the time the 2 car is getting the hook.

Her "I don't think that's exactly a "catastrophe"
Me: Well, it could be for him
Her: Well, its not like he's dead or anything.
Me: car's dead.

(I think I won that one.)
 Wink

2nd Powerade Modified Feature.

Right off the get go, its 88-Shipway out in front, and he has a good chance to gain a few lengths while the rest of the field jockeys for position.

Once it shakes out, it's Shipway with a good lead and looking like he's on rails, while 39-McCullough and 3-Cox battling for the 2nd spot - a battle that would continue throughout the race. The real fight was for 4th, between, 72-Thompson, 57-Brooks, 54-Limon and 1-Newman. � This battle is eventually won by Newman who gets by and begins to reel in the leaders. Meanwhile, McCullogh and Cox are still duking it out for 2nd. �

In the latter end of the field, there's a great side by side "rookie" race between 38-Hendricks and 24-Richmond. Richmond is still trying to get his feet under him in the mod division, but its paying off. Those 2 ran a lot of laps side by side, and both kept their cars straight and away from one another. Richmond seemed to be a natural running the outside groove. (Nice job after such a crummy SuperStock outing.)

So, in the end (and I believe they went caution free) it was Shipway by a mile, followed by McCullogh in 2nd, Cox in 3rd, Newman in 4th, (these three in a tight group) and Limon a distant 5th.

Transmission Direct Enduro Challenge.

This race started about 30 cars, with the usual enduro top dawgs at the back. I don't have a long report for this race. I got nothing against enduro...but I always have a devil of a time following along with these guys. The 06 car got in the lead and looked like he was going to run away with it, while Book, the Goertzes, and Coward cut their way through the feild. At one point, just after halfway, the 06 (Ferguson?) had something let go in a huge plume of smoke and left the lead, I think, to 39-McCullough. Eventually, the usual gang caught up, and in the end it was 15-Goertz with the win, 64-Book in 2nd, 39-McCullough in 3rd, 11-Coward in 4th and 16-Goetrz in 5th.

It was an entertaining race for sure, and a great capper to a full evening of racing....and under dry skies for a change!

Doesn't get any better than that.

Shadow out.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 10:26:22 AM by Shadowracer » 7 Comments | Write Comment
xx
Re: Delaware - Shadow Report - Finally staying dry on O'Tools Rent or Buy night
by Shadowracer ... May 24, 2009, 12:50:06 PM
Pic links added Courtesy of JWO Racing.

xx
by LM18Fan ... May 23, 2009, 05:24:47 PM
Shadowreport-

I missed our one and only trip to Deleware 20 years ago, we quit racing 7 yrs ago, that said, I always look for your reports on Deleware.

They are well written, informative, and make it like being there.  It would be great (i don't make it to the races anymore but, still read all I can) if there was someone writing reports (unbiased if they could be) on the races they went to.

Your reports are like Danka's pictures, always great.

xx
by Shadowracer ... May 23, 2009, 01:43:12 PM
Your reports are great and we need more people to do what you do as there is really no press covering our sport. I wish I was able to do some but my writing and spelling skills suck but I plan to take some photo's from where I go this year and share them.

I know that we're already suffereing serious forum overload here, but I wonder if there could be a dedicated forum for our "amateur" reporters, where we could go over how-to's, and encourage new people to do the same. It is very rewarding, and it has a fair bit of value.

Even when threads don't get lots of replies, they're still quite well read. Back when I'd first started doing this, I was shocked, and admittedly pleased, to find out that a lot of the folks down in the pits were reading when they got home after the races.

And you know, its just fun for me. I don't see myself ever in the drivers seat....my participation in the racing community will likely never come about that way, but its nice to do your part and be considered part of the community. Its almost like I've been afforded the title of "honorary racer"

I say that, not to toot my own horn, but to explain how satisfying it can be, and to encourage others to do the same. We touched on it on the thread for Ashley's racing pics site. Short track racing has always depended on avid fans to keep the comminuty thriving. If you go back to the pre-internet days with Wheelspin and those other magazines and newletters - a LOT of that stuff depended on fan submissions. Everyone likes to complain and blame it on the tracks when the results don't come out, and they forget that the core fulltime staff of most of these places consists of only 2 or 3 people. They can only do so much - I've watched these guys scramble on race day, both before and after the show.

So if it pleases you, and if you can bring a notebook to the track with you, then why not do it? The community DOES appreciate it.

And if anyone wants to take up the mantle for their home track but are not sure where to start, feel free to PM me and I can at least explain my own method. Might not be the best method, but it'll get you started.

xx
by CanadianRacingOnline ... May 23, 2009, 12:14:45 PM
Your reports are great and we need more people to do what you do as there is really no press covering our sport. I wish I was able to do some but my writing and spelling skills suck but I plan to take some photo's from where I go this year and share them.

Thanks agian for the great race reports and taking the time to do them.

Evan

xx
by Shadowracer ... May 23, 2009, 10:04:17 AM
My pleasure Ernie. Actually, Cressman was sort of out of the picture last season due to a staff shakeup at the freepers. It's gotten a bit better this year. Still nothing to write home about, but better.

As far as the track goes - word is they fixed turn 3, smooth as silk. Apparently the frontstretch is a little bumpy, but still 100 percent better than it had been.

xx
by ernie ... May 23, 2009, 08:33:12 AM
Almost forgot. How is the new pavement working out???

xx
by ernie ... May 23, 2009, 07:57:08 AM
Thanx again for another great race report Shadow. Your coverage of the last three weekends have given me more information about racing at Delaware than I have gotten from the Freeps and Cressman in ten years. (Probably not Cressman's fault as the Freeps is a rag when it comes to covering motorsports)

Internet find. Old-schoolers check this out. Hanley/Beiderman
by Shadowracer ... May 21, 2009, 11:31:21 AM
Amazing what you stumble across sometimes, aint it? Old footage of a Jr. Hanley/ Don Beiderman duel.

These guys were Delaware heroes, so I'm putting it here, but the clip is actually from Mt Clemens circa approx 1982. Not a "classic" Hanley Beiderman dustup, but still not bad. Might remember a few of the other names too.

PS, note the car count in the feature...then tell me again about how huge the fields were in the old days.  Wink

Pursuit race

Feature Pt 1

Feature Pt 2

8 Comments | Write Comment
xx
Re: Internet find. Old-schoolers check this out. Hanley/Beiderman
by Shadowracer ... May 22, 2009, 12:31:37 AM
My recollection is that the roles reversed over the course of the 70s. When Hanley first came up from Nova Scota Biederman was the better bet and that lasted a few seasons but later on (around the time of the big match race at Delaware in 1978 attended by 125% of Ontario race fans of the day Wink including me ), Hanley would generally come out on top of head to head battles.

That sounds about right. I think Beider did most of his winning in the 70's. Most notably for me was him in that old beat up looking Nova taking both halves of the Maple Leaf 250 at Cayuga in 1977. I was there and remember that....even though I was a lad of 9 at the time. (I also remember someone having a pretty horrific fire on the backchute the same day....might have been Terry Kitchen.) Anyways, Hanley was doing well by that time, but didn't really start to acheive the utter dominance he had until the very early 80s. By that time, according to old Wheelspin magazines and stuff, Beiderman was starting to make noises about quitting, unless he could find a ride with someone else footing the bill. Then along came the Thompson Movers ride that kept him in business a while longer. Him and Hanley got to carry on their "feud" a little longer after that, but Jr was doing the lion's share of the winning by that point.

One thing Beider was good for for sure was a quote, and in the ballyhoo in the London Free Press before a big race at Delaware usually included some kind of quote from Don. (I often wonder if he made more money from 'appearance money" than race winnings.)  Somewhere I read a short interview with him before the "duel" (which we didn't go to  Undecided) They asked him who he thought was going to win.

His response, "The promoter".

And I think he was right. There are no records to support it, but legend has it it was the first and last time that Delaware ever truly cracked 10,000 fans.

I remember, at Flamboro. Jr and Don were gettin into it. Don took Jr up into the turn 3 wall. He had damaged his car worse than Jr, and was being towed off the track. The hood was slipping off the roof, and Don (being Don) hit the brakes of the car trying to stop the tow truck. Well I guess the truck driver wasn't havin a great day eather. They stopped on the front stretch,and exchanged words. Don climbed from the car and took a swing at this grizzly bear that was operating said tow truck. The bear grabbed Don, put him down on the grass, and rubbed his face in the dirt. As much as I was a big fan and Friend, I found much humor in his antics. God Bless him, but he could not pick his fights LOL Roll Eyes Grin

Heh...good story. I heard another one about Beiderman's antics from Flammy, and it fits into the "If it aint true, it oughta be" category. Apparently Beiderman had gone through the pit area before the heats one night and offered a crisp 100 dollar bill up for anyone that would wreck Jr in his heat race. The story went that one of the drivers was definitely interested. (might have been Zardo) Once the race rolled out onto the track, apparently Don duct taped that 100 dollar bill onto the end of a hockey stick, and when the cars came around, he just leaned over the pit wall and dangled the money out over the racetrack as a reminder.

But...these stories DO have a way of getting better over time don't they?

Many times I wondered, and still do, if it was all for real. Truthfully, they were mercenary race drivers that were equally capable of being jerks. (Don was just better at making the role of Villain work for him)  But the both of them always managed to be able to tap the promoters for appearance money...so I'd guess there was probably a bit of embellishment going on from time to time as well. I couldn't say for sure, but that's what my gut tells me. They may not have liked each other, but they knew what side their bread was buttered on.

xx
by Dusty ... May 21, 2009, 08:19:48 PM
I remember, at Flamboro. Jr and Don were gettin into it. Don took Jr up into the turn 3 wall. He had damaged his car worse than Jr, and was being towed off the track. The hood was slipping off the roof, and Don (being Don) hit the brakes of the car trying to stop the tow truck. Well I guess the truck driver wasn't havin a great day eather. They stopped on the front stretch,and exchanged words. Don climbed from the car and took a swing at this grizzly bear that was operating said tow truck. The bear grabbed Don, put him down on the grass, and rubbed his face in the dirt. As much as I was a big fan and Friend, I found much humor in his antics. God Bless him, but he could not pick his fights LOL Roll Eyes Grin

xx
by Statsman ... May 21, 2009, 05:14:35 PM
Cool video, nice to see CASCAR co-champ Larry Lemay in his #23 as well.

I've got a DVD that has a Mt Clemons race on it from around the same time and Mark Martin was there that night in his ASA title winning orange #2 Camaro. Hanley wheeled around him just as easily as the guys in this video and Biederman got by Martin as well.

The same DVD has a race from either Toledo or Flat Rock and it is joined after the race starts. Hanley and Biederman are both outside the top 10 and at least a half-lap behind. Hanley catches up and wins the race without benefit of a caution. 

I also remember seeing him run at Sunset one time where the ease-of-passing was a result of significantly outhandling the other guys on the straights. He was almost coming to a complete stop in the turns that night. Not to say there weren't lots of times when he had the whole package working as well.

My recollection is that the roles reversed over the course of the 70s. When Hanley first came up from Nova Scota Biederman was the better bet and that lasted a few seasons but later on (around the time of the big match race at Delaware in 1978 attended by 125% of Ontario race fans of the day Wink including me ), Hanley would generally come out on top of head to head battles.

xx
by #9Chris ... May 21, 2009, 04:02:25 PM
cool video's.

xx
by Shadowracer ... May 21, 2009, 01:28:50 PM
Not many tracks run the "Australian Pursuit" style race anymore shown in the first clip. Thanks for the videos.

heh...oldschooler alert. Use of the term "Australian" pursuit is a dead giveaway.
 Wink

xx
by 3-Wide ... May 21, 2009, 01:11:15 PM
awesome videos!  sometimes I wish I lived threw thoese days haha

xx
by ShortTrackFan ... May 21, 2009, 12:42:46 PM
Not many tracks run the "Australian Pursuit" style race anymore shown in the first clip. Thanks for the videos.

My 2009 Race Count: 13

My 2009 Track Count: 8 - East Bay Raceway(FL), New Smyrna (FL), Volusia (FL), Bristol (TN), Flamboro (ON), Delaware (ON), Sunset (ON), Merrittville (ON)

Next Up: Ohsweken (ON) and Lancaster (NY)

xx
by wattie1 ... May 21, 2009, 12:31:20 PM
That was a fantastic video I could watch that stuff all day long. That is why Jr. was the best in his time did you see how easy he went around everyone even Beiderman who was running up to the wall so if you blocked him high he just went low and vice versa. He was definetly the best at passing on the outside I 've seen.

Brian

Del - Shadow Report May 15 - pic links added
by Shadowracer ... May 16, 2009, 05:14:50 AM
Caveat - For those that are new here. I am not a real reporter, I only play one on the internet. I do not work for Delaware. I'm simply a fan who's a little bit nuts about his chosen pastime. Everything you read here is my take on the evening's events from a fan-in-the-stands perspective, cobbled together and translated from a little notebook I keep with me while the races are going on. Sometimes I get it wrong. Please feel free to correct me. The whole idea behind the Shadow Report is to A) stimulate message board discussion, and B) Shout out to and report to folks who may be fans, but couldn't make it out tonight for whatever reason.

UPDATE: Pic link, courtesy of JWO Racing.

May 15 pics

Shadow Report JBM Autoleasing 50 lapper...finally in. Barely

So, under steadily darkening clouds and the odd sprinkle, we begin our program wondering if, after 3 weeks, Mother Nature might at least throw us a bone. She did...but it was a small one. (Well, maybe medium sized) A number of races didnt transpire. We go the first LM race in, as well as the Mod feature from last week. Then on to some Street Stock heats and a Throne Kings King of the Hill, then the rain.

JBM Autoleasing 50 lapper part 2 - the Final 46

When we last left our intrepid Late Model field, London's Rob Clarke was in first place and hanging on for dear life, with Jesse Kennedy, Steve Robblee and Ron Sheridan hot on his bumper. Pete Vanderwyst had also been in contention, but due to being spun out in turn 3, had been forced to the back of the field for a restart that never came because of the rain. Unfortunately, due to another commitment this week, Pete Vanderwyst was not on hand. For that matter, neither was Jason Shaw, who'd had a bad end to a rough day last week. We hope both will return in the near future!

We continue the race with 4 laps down.

The top starters tonight were thus: 49-Clarke on the point, then 10-Kennedy, 52-Sheridan, 02-Watson, and 77-Verhoeven.

Right off the get-go it looks like Kennedy is hot to get into the front spot now. He's all over Clarke, and makes the pass very early on. Once the order shakes out, its Kennedy, Sheridan, Robblee in the top 3, and the three are beginning to open up a bit of a lead. On lap 8, 3-Rijnen goes around in Turn 4 to bring out the first caution. Now it starts getting ugly, and we're only 8 laps in.

On the first lap after the restart, there's a huge schmozzle on the backstretch toward turn 3. Looked to me like 02-Watson and 77-Verhoeven, racing side by side with Watson on the outside, came together about halfway down the backstretch. Watson hits the outside wall and almost climbs it. Then the rest of the field stacks up trying to avoid. Track is completely blocked with race cars, so they throw the red. Involved were 15-Matthews, 41-Adams, 2-Stewart, 72-Thompson, 18-Weirsma, and 55-Rankin. However the worst damages seemed to be 20-Lindsay, who went hard and straight into the turn 3 wall. He had to get towed off. 69-Rawlings looked in pretty bad shape too. Watson spent most of the rest of the race up on jackstands, although he made it out again towards the end of the race.

After one more failed restart that had 9-Elliott going around in turn 4, they got to racing again, and once again, Kennedy, Sheridan and Robblee begin to build a small lead. They're followed by the pairing of 14-Emery and 38-Hooker, then another pairing of Clarke and 4-Urlin. Sheridan really looks like hes got something for Kennedy but can't seem to close the deal.

On lap 20 there's another caution. 72-Thompson and 15-Matthews had been waging their own private battle back in the field. Matthews got into Thompson in turn 1-2, getting Thompson out of shape, but then Thompson turned left as well, leaving them both sitting sideways.

On this restart, now Sheridan's not all over Kennedy like he had been, settling into second, and still with Robblee right on his bumper. Urlin gets by Clarke for 6th and begins to work on Hooker. At the halfway point, yellow/checker flies and Kennedy has won this segment, Sheridan second and Robblee third. (This will count as a completed feature for NASCAR points.)

On this restart, now its disaster for Kennedy, who suddenly slides sideways and out of the groove allowing Sheridan to get by. Then a caution as a bunch of cars get tangled up in turn 1 and 2, and Kennedy slides onto pit road. Looks like a tire had gone down, hence the sideways lurch. Now Kennedy's at the back...and probably mad.

Once the race resumes, Kennedy wastes no time cutting thru the back markers and trying to get himself back into contention. At the front, Sheridan and Robblee are still leading the charge, followed by Emery and Urlin. Then at lap 29 another caution as Adams loops it in turn 4. Here we get into another series of failed restarts.

The first one is a big turn 4 mess that sees Urlin spun around and Clarke on the hook back to the pits. Then another as 91-MacGilvary goes around in turn 3 on his own....and then another as 89-Spicer and Gary Elliott go around on the backstretch.

Its at this point when we noticed that Watson was back out.�� 

Now Kennedy's close to being in contention, and Sheridan and Robblee are still out front. Good battle for 4th between 37-David Elliott and Emery, but it ended with Emery very suddenly slowing off the pace with mechanical trouble. Now 37-Elliott is in third, but now he's got Kennedy to deal with. Kennedy gets by into 3rd on lap 46, leaving D. Elliott in 4th, and 27-Box up into 5th. (Not bad for a guy who wrecked 4 laps into this race last week.)

Robblee, whos been sitting on 2nd spot for the whole race tries a few desperation moves around Sheridan but can't get it done.

Sheridan wins, Robblee 2nd, Kennedy 3rd, D-Elliott 4th and Mat Box 5th.�� 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Powerade Modified Feature (rained out feature from last week)

This week started a couple more cars than last, bringing the field up to 11, including some crazy old coot in that funky number 57 mod. (good to see you back dude!)

39-McCullough and 88-Shipway jump out in front early, while the second pack conssits of Cox, Limon, Newman and 70 (Saunders?) Theres an instant where Shipway seems to fall off the pace and Cox gets by him for 2nd.

Meanwhile near the back (wayyy back��  Wink) theres a brief battle where the old guy gets passed by the 18 yr old upstart. (translation: 57-Brooks gets passed by 24-Richmond)

At the halfway mark, its McCullough, Cox, Limon, Newman and Shipway. Cox looks ready to start making some moves and soon does, getting around McCullough to take 1st. Then at lap 17, caution flies for Limon as he goes around in turn 4.

Not much change at the end of the race its Cox with the win, McCullough for 2nd, Newman for 3rd, Shipway for 4th and the 70 car in 5th.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Super Stock Heats

Heat 1 - 3-Perkins takes an early lead, followed by 99-Nagy, 77-Lake, and 11-Lidster. Looks like Perkins has things fairly well under control, until Nagy decides to skip any actual racing and go straight to using the front bumper and a quick right turn to get Perkins turned around. (In speaking with some folks down in the pits afterward, Nagy apparently felt that Perkins lifted coming out of 2. That might explain the contact, but doesn't explain the right turn.) So, at least the officials saw it and sent Nagy to the back.

This meant that Lake inherited the lead with Lidster in 2nd and 76-Reid in 3rd.��  �� Lidster starts putting the bumper to Lake, and eventually gets around him.

Finishing order is Lidster, Lake and Reid.

Heat 2 - saw Stephen Richmond lead it from flag to flag, leading 9-DeJesus and 98-Morneau. Nice win for Stephen after a somewhat disappointing Modified Feature.

Then it was on to the King of the Hill races in support of Jesse's Journey . (I was in the pits and didn't see any of it, although I understand a couple of races did see some contact)

At this point, with the rain still sprinkling down sporadically, they decided they'd "lost" the track and will reschdule the remaining races from tonight.��  I presume the SS feature will go next week. Not sure about the rest. Stay tuned.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 02:31:55 PM by Shadowracer » 9 Comments | Write Comment
xx
Re: Del - Shadow Report May 15 - pic links added
by Shadowracer ... May 19, 2009, 01:58:59 PM
hmm guess he was getting prepped for Kawartha!

Actually, looks like it was St Eustache.

xx
by Thayne ... May 16, 2009, 10:49:00 PM
hmm guess he was getting prepped for Kawartha!

xx
by Shadowracer ... May 16, 2009, 06:10:51 PM
Pic link, courtesy of Racingmom from the GRR Delaware message boards.

May 15 pics

xx
Re: Del - Shadow Report JBM Autoleasing 50 lapper...finally in. Barely
by Shadowracer ... May 16, 2009, 04:56:18 PM
is that brandon watson?

They changed paint schemes?

No sir. That's Mark Watson in the 02 car. He ran number 20 in modified last few seasons, and only runs the 02 because 20 was taken.

Brandon Watson...I have no idea who he is, other than someone said he was driving the 9 car at the practice day in April. He's not on Delaware's roster. Our number 9 is Gary Elliott.

xx
by Thayne ... May 16, 2009, 04:08:53 PM
is that brandon watson?

They changed paint schemes?

xx
by Shadowracer ... May 16, 2009, 03:16:05 PM
Here's a photo of the cars under red after the Watson/Verhoven/Lindsay thing on lap 8.

Lindsay got the worst of that one. It was worth the blue ribbon on the billboard above him. 02-Watson is the blue car one at the far left....looks like hes sitting in his window.

This was snapped by someone on the crew of SS number 3, and hosted on the Perkins racing website..

xx
by AutoAssembler ... May 16, 2009, 10:25:36 AM
Awesome, thanks Shadow!

xx
by 3-Wide ... May 16, 2009, 09:47:25 AM
Great report as always!!

To bad the weather didn't cooperate again.

xx
by blkflagagain ... May 16, 2009, 07:45:12 AM
Great to have the SHADOW REPORT back!!! You da man!!

Delaware - Reno photo link + Friday May 16 preview.
by Shadowracer ... May 12, 2009, 04:07:07 PM
In racing, sometimes Mother Nature taketh away. Sometimes it balances out, and sometimes it slips you a little extra. This week is one of the latter - if you're a Delaware race fan.

Fresh off of last weeks rained out festivities, we'll be starting off with the remaining 46 laps of the JBM Autoleasing LM 50 lapper.

When we last left our intrepid Late Model field, London's Rob Clarke was in first place and hanging on for dear life, with Jesse Kennedy, Steve Robblee and Ron Sheridan hot on his bumper. Pete Vanderwyst had also been in contention, but due to being spun out in turn 3, had been forced to the back of the field for a restart that never came because of the rain. If theres one car to watch during this race, its Vanderwyst in the 7, as he will most likely mount an agressive charge back up to the front.

Also keep an eye on the Flamboro gang, David Elliott, Gary Elliott and Jay Shaw. All 3 were beset by bad luck and equipment gremlins last week, with Shaw's evening ending particularly badly when he and Mat Box got togerther in turn 2 just as the rain flew. Fair bit of damage on both machines, but they'll have had the week to get it straightened out.

Then it will be onto the Powerade Modifieds, and they will complete the feature they qualified for last week. 9 cars showed up to do battle, and reports indicate there may be a few more on hand this week. The usual suspects looked stout, with Paul "Shippy" Shipway, Barry Newman and Jamie Cox leading the charge.

Once the races from last week are out of the way, it'll be on to the current program, starting with heats for the Peterbilt Super Stock division. Ray Morneau looks like he's back to defend his title once again, and the competition will be stout, likely coming from Andrew Perkins, Darrell Lake, and Kris Lawrence, who's expected to have a breakout year this season.

There's lots of new blood in Super Stock this year. Pee Wee Smith in the 84 looks stout, (That's Dan Monaghans old camaro, so as long as the motor's good, the car IS capable of running up front.)  Jake Ott in the 60 was a more-than-capable Flamboro runner. Jared Sheilds in the 7 car is a true greenhorn, moved up for the Jrs, and 48-Louie McColl hasn't been able to catch a break yet, suffering problems and some bent metal in practice.

Its gonna be interesting to see, and I expect a thriller of a season from the Super Stock gang.

So moving forward after some SS qualifying, we'll come back to the Powerade Modifieds. They won't run heats, presumably in the interest of time. They'll simply line up in the order they finished the first feature, with a 2 dice roll for the inversion.

Then we'll see the SS feature, and then finish off the regular part of the program with the second LM feature. It will line up in the same manner as the mods did, sans heat races, with between a 9 and 15 car inversion depending on the die roll.

Then the Throne Kings will present the first 500 dollar to win King of the Hill event in support of the Make a Wish Foundation. Be aware that if you do intend to compete, you will need a helmet. The speedway or Throne Kings will have some loaners.

Its going to be a hot nights racing, and I hope to see everyone there!

Shadow out.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 12:27:11 PM by Shadowracer » 8 Comments | Write Comment
xx
Re: Delaware - Reno photo link + Friday May 16 preview.
by CanadianRacingOnline ... May 14, 2009, 12:46:10 PM
That track is looking good. What some new pavement and some white paint will do for a track.

Glad to see NCATS are going to race there.

xx
Re: Delaware - Reno photo link + Friday May 16 preview.
by Shadowracer ... May 14, 2009, 12:28:38 PM
Delaware Renovation project.

New Photos

xx
Re: Delaware - Friday May 16 preview.
by Shadowracer ... May 13, 2009, 12:46:31 PM
Fair enough. If Kevin says so then its right.

BTW, tell him Hoppy said hi!

xx
by choirguy ... May 13, 2009, 11:53:58 AM
LoL Shadow Mister Throne King was here and said we don't rent them So I thought I would make him happy. Geeese He needs a woman LoL

xx
by Shadowracer ... May 12, 2009, 10:35:35 PM
Alright, I'll correct it. Going back 2 yrs when I was helping out more, they had the Driving School loaning out helmets...or at least that was the plan at one time. I thought they were for rent.

xx
by choirguy ... May 12, 2009, 08:40:28 PM
If you attend the Throne Kings of the hill If you do not have a helmet Throne Kings will supply helmets    You do not have to rent them

xx
by racerfan44 ... May 12, 2009, 08:31:04 PM
For the amount of racing on Friday 2 LM Feature -81 laps,2 Modified features 50 laps,& S.S heats and feature 45 laps.The addmission price is pretty good as regular pricing is shown as $16.00.Not sure if that is what they are charging (might not hurt and contact track on this) but if it is this price this is the place for the racing fan.Cheap and lots of racing.Should get a big crowd if this price is right.

xx
by ernie ... May 12, 2009, 04:53:28 PM
One twist you forgot to mention Shadow. NEW PAVEMENT! According to the website large sections have been repaved this past week. This could be a huge unknown when the racers come back on friday  Shocked

Delaware - A New Old photo thread.
by Shadowracer ... May 10, 2009, 12:50:32 AM
Howdy all!

Well, in the spirit of being excited for the new season, but with nothing really to show for it yet but some wet clothes, its time for another old photo thread. Mother Nature won't let us race, but she can't keep us from doing the second best thing that race fans are good at, and that is reminiscing.

Now, I lay claim to none of the following photos. They've been glommed off the internet over the years and squirrelled away on my hard drive. So I wont take any credit for them. This batch is mostly old program scans.

If anyone else contributes as well, then I'll add some more. If you have no photos to share, then regale with a story or 2 from the old days.

If its one thing that racing folks know how to do well, its walking down memory lane!

^^Limited Late Models, 1973.

^^Super Late Models. Heh...so how long has it been since we've seen a Chevelle as a LM?

^^1977, Earl Ross in the infamous Coke Can Car, leading Terry Kitchen in the Box Auto Body Special. In 1982, Earl would come out of semi-retirement to take over the driving duties in the 68 car and go on to win the first McKerlie Millen 200. (This photo is actually mine)

^^Tracey Leslie. How can you forget this guy? Him and Jr Hanley owned this place in the mid to late 80s. Of course, they were the only show. People talk about these being the glory days, but realistically, 1 or 2 guys winning all the time was a little dull. If I recall correctly, Leslie's son was back at Delaware a couple years ago when we had the first go around with NASCAR, and brought a car that was painted very similar to this one. Unfortunately, he hit the wall on the first lap of his heat doing some bad damage, and he hasn't been seen since.

^^Bob Merrifield in one of the most distinctive Super Late Models this place has ever seen.

^^Daytona Don. Nuff said.

^^Remember when these guys ran here? Starting in 1975, the old Modified Sportsman division dropped the aging coupe bodies, and adopted these instead. 44 is Roger Rushby, who lived 2 blocks over from me, and the 55 is Wayne Pilkey Sr. I beleive the 77 might be an Atkinson, but don't hold me to it.

^^And this one is just to keep TommySalami happy.  Wink  Warren Coniam set the Delaware track record in 1984 in this car. I don't remember the exact time, but I know it was in the REALLY low 16's, and the record held for years and years.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 01:10:38 AM by Shadowracer » 3 Comments | Write Comment
xx
Re: Delaware - A New Old photo thread.
by TommySalami ... May 10, 2009, 09:29:19 PM
The fastest time I can find in the www.OpenWheelTimes.com archives is 16.060 run by both Cameron Dodson and Jason Blonde during AVSS Sprint Car time trials, May 20, 2005 at Delaware: http://www.openwheeltimes.com/owt_racenotes.asp?ID=116414

Dodson was classified as running quick time so he must have run it first...that is the rule in AVSS when there is a tie.

xx
by TommySalami ... May 10, 2009, 09:23:46 PM
I wish somebody knew what the track record was/is at Delaware...nobody seems to know...my Dad seems to think it's somewhere in the high 15's.

thumbup
by racer shadow ... May 10, 2009, 09:02:06 AM
Just a shout out to you shadowracer for taking the time to not only do something just because you love it but to keep us all in the loop and keep our spirits up while mother nature tries to keep us down!

Shadow Report - Delaware - Heats but no Features, May 8.
by Shadowracer ... May 09, 2009, 12:32:45 AM
Howdy all!

Well, the night started with 2 questions. One was answered immediately, and one was answered at about lap 3 of the LM feature.

Question one was "What if we gave a Late Model race, and everyone came?"  29 cars, baby. Yeah. Batten down the hatches...its gonna be like the old days!

Of course, question two was along the lines of, "will those big black clouds skirt around us and go somewhere else besides here?" That answer was , unfortunately, no.  Embarrassed

It looked off the start like we may be able to get it all in. At 7 the sky was a bit overcast, but not too bad. It soon became steadily darker throughout the program.

One thing that didn't get rained out was the Jesse's Journey walk, which curcuited the speedway once at 7pm to raise money to help battle Duchenne muscular dystrophy. John Davidson was there. Participation was light, but so was the crowd on hand. 50/50 tix were sold and I'm sure a few bucks were raised for a good cause.

After a very brief pause and a quick go-through of the parade lap and anthems, it was time to go racing. Sort of...

...if you call time trialing racing.

Time Trials

29 cars attempted to qualify. (and no thats not a typo) I don't think any records were broken, and by a quick look over the lap times, I'd estimate the bulk of the field coming in around the 19.3 or 4 mark.

Your contestants for the evening: 38-Hooker, 15-Matthews, 52-Sheridan, 91-MacGillvary, 55-Rankin, 89-Drew Spicer, 14-Emery, 02-Watson, 29-Barlass, 72-Thompson, 41-Adams, 82-Jay Shaw, 7-Vanderwyst, 22-Ramsay, 49-Clarke, 28-S Robblee, 2-Stewart, 32-M Robblee, 4-Jon Urlin, 77-Verhoeven, 10-Kennedy, 69-Rawlings, 20-Lindsay, 27-Box, 18-Weirsma, 3-Rijnen, and 8-Jacobs. The Elliotts (cars 9 and 37) were also there, but for the life of me I forget who was driving what. Gary was in one of them, and I don't know who was in the other. The 37 is normally David Elliott, but David wasn't there tonight. (If anyone could clear that up, that would be awesome.) The 37 car seemed to be having some trouble and did not qualify thru time trail, instead starting dead last in the feature.

Nothing really too out of the ordinary as far as time trials. The usual suspects were up near the top of the pile for fast times. One nice surprise was Mark Watson, a rookie to the LM division was making some pretty good lap times and cracked the top 5. Nice work!

Fast 5 in time trials:
28-Robblee at 19.037
52-Sheridan at 19.049
02-Watson at 19.054
10-Kennedy 19.089
7-Vanderwyst at 19.160

With a sky looking more ominous than it had when time trials started, it was on to the truck heats.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DEMAR AGGREGATES TRUCKS

Heat 1 saw a pretty good 3 way battle for the lead. 33-McDonald jumps to an early lead, but is soon passed by 00-Johns and 56-Showler. The top 3 quickly distance themselves with the rest of the field. Showler goes to work on Johns, giving him the rub and trying everything to get by, but in the end its Johns, Showler and McDonald in that order.

Heat 2 had the 11 truck, who sports 3 different names on the roster, with an early lead, but is passed on the 2nd circuit by both 01-Bloemendal and 82-Demelo. The real race is for 4th between 77-Zagarodny and 88-Fothergill (in the lookalike truck to Sid's 33) Fothergill prevails after the battle, but cannot make it up front to win the war.���  Finishing order is Bloemendal, Demelo, and Fothergill.

Now the sky's looking even darker, thunderheads looming on the horizon, but teasingly, they look like theyre heading to the north, and that they might just go by us. And now its time for the modifieds.

POWERADE MODIFIEDS

Heat 1
Starting order was 3-Cox, 39-McCullough, 38-Hendricks and 59-Finlay.
Finishing order was 3-Cox, 39-McCullough, 38-Hendricks and 59-Finlay.
Only difference was at the end of the race, the first two were half a lap ahead of the second 2.

Heat 2 saw 54-Limon take an early lead, followed closely by 1-Newman, and 88-Shipway. Newman tries everything, staying right with Limon. Shipway drops slightly back. Final order is Limon, Newman and Shipway.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J.B.M. Autoleasing Triple Crown 50 Lapper

Now the thunderheads are right over the speedway, turning the sky a lovely shade of purple, with the odd lightning flash coming from the other side of the river. The decision was made to have the LMs go first, and you can bet the track has never gotten a big late model race under way so quickly.

They rolled the dice for the inversion and came up with a 6, so the pole went to 49-Clarke, then 7-Vanderwyst, Kennedy, Watson, Sheridan, and Robblee. 29 cars started, and despite the obvious concern for the weather, the crowd was pumped. We haven't seen this many cars for a regular Friday night LM race since the 80's, and it was apparent that a good portion of the field was actually competitive...that it wasn't just going to be 2 or 3 guys running away with it.

That was the good news.

The bad news is, unfortunately, that we got 3 laps in before the skies opened. Clarke had jumped out in front right off, with Vanderwyst and Kennedy hot behind him. The lead pack was beginning to form in the order of Clarke, Vanderwyst, Kennedy, Sheridan, Robblee and Watson all falling into line. Then on the third curcuit, something happened in turn 3. Vanderwyst went around and collected 22-Ramsay. No real damage. Someone said Kennedy tagged him but I didn't see. So Vanderwyst and Ramsay go to the back, and now we're getting a little excited because an angry Vanderwyst coming from the back can be...well...pretty exciting. But it wasn't to be.

On the restart, 82-Shaw (who'd had truly crappy luck all night anyway) and 27-Box got together in turn 3 to bring the yellow out again.

Then there was a weird moment where the skies opened over us with really huge raindrops - but only for a split second. (as if God nailed us with a single blast from some heavenly squirt gun.) Then we look over at turn 2. That corner, and ONLY that corner, are drenched. We watch this wall of rain staying just over turn 2, then it begins to move toward the grandstand. Then down it comes, full bore, and everyone scatters like rats.

Fully soaked by the time we make it back to the truck we climb in and listen, switching back and forth between the Nationwide race and Delaware's feed. And as if we weren't wet and miserable enough, we had to listen to Kyle Busch winning the Nationwide race too.

So after a half hour holed up in the truck, the rain's starting to dissapate a little, its only 930, so could we still get the race in? This intrepid reporter headed back to the pits just in time to hear the drivers meeting called so they could tell us the rainout procedure.

That was it. Game over.

But hey, there's not much else you can do when you've been deluged the way we were tonight.

The good news? Next week, its double Late Model Features.  Grin  The first order of business will be to get the remaining 47 laps in from this race done, then continue with the regular show, with Super Stock, Modified, and LM full Fri nite programs.

As far as the qualified Truck and Mod features from this week, they'll get made up at a later date.

See y'all next week!

« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 11:27:49 AM by Shadowracer » 2 Comments | Write Comment
xx
Re: Shadow Report - Delaware - Heats but no Features, May 8.
by Statsman ... May 09, 2009, 09:52:39 AM
Great report as usual Shadow, thanks for posting.

Anyone have any pics online anywhere from opening night?

xx
Re: Shadow Report - Delaware - Heats but no Features, May 8.
by speedaway ... May 09, 2009, 09:09:29 AM
Well, you really didn't have to listen to Ky Busch winning, he blew a tire and Kenseth won the race.  Glad to see all those late models!!

Delaware this Friday - JBM Autoleasing LM 50 Lapper.
by Shadowracer ... May 07, 2009, 03:26:51 PM
Tomorrow night, May 8, is the first of three J.B.M. Autoleasing Triple Crown races. Its a unique format in that the total results from the race count for both the Delaware Speedway LM championship, as well as towards the J.B.M. Autoleasing Triple Crown points. As well, the race will essentially be divided into two 25 lap segments, so as to count as 2 races towards NASCAR Whelen Series points. (So watch the fun around the halfway point!)

The field that was out last week was a stellar one, with a count of somewhere between 24-26 Late Models in the pits, and 3/4 of the field were easily competitive. There were also a number of LM newcomers on hand, so it will be interesting to see how some of them stack up against our regulars. We might just have a few wild cards tomorrow night.

Now, they will be qualifying time trail-like...because going into a race cold with no heats on the first race night is always entertaining. The first few laps will be mighty interesting to say the least!

Time trials most likely start at 7:30.

Couple this Late model action with the Demar Aggregates Trucks and the Powerade Modifieds, and we've got the makings of a great season opener.

See you at the track! (and if not, read the report right here later tomorrow evening.) 

And dont forget the Happy Hour toonie hotdog special between 6 and 7. If you haven't had one yet this year, they're amazing. Delaware really ramped up the food quality this year. So enjoy!

Grin

4 Comments | Write Comment
xx
Re: Delaware this Friday - JBM Autoleasing LM 50 Lapper.
by Shadowracer ... May 08, 2009, 01:41:33 PM
Full moon tonight too. Gonna want a ringside seat.

xx
by Shadowracer ... May 07, 2009, 10:49:03 PM
Mods and trucks will have heats, of course. The LMs will not, unless they're doing both.

I get why they do it, but I'm not fond at all of this trend of using time trials for Friday night racing. A 100 or 200 lapper maybe, but tomorrow's feature is only 15 more laps than normal.

It leaves a funny taste on the palate...like watching the Stanley Cup final won/lost on a shootout.

But still, I'm telling ya, it'll be a wild race.

xx
by racerfan44 ... May 07, 2009, 09:44:59 PM
Choirguy are you sure no heats (can see no heats for 50 lap as they are having time trials for LM ) As for trucks & mods can see heat races & features.Could be wrong but think that is the way it will go.

xx
by choirguy ... May 07, 2009, 06:16:15 PM
Well no heats that sucks and all 12 or 13 mods and 13 to 14 trucks should be home by 10:15 THAT SUCKS ALSO

Delaware - Shadow's Rainout Report - May 1 / 2009
by Shadowracer ... May 02, 2009, 02:32:29 AM
So, looks like we got some rain!

Pulled in early tonight, and as of 4:30 or so, it looked like we might get the races in. Nice long line of race car trailers waiting tho get into the pits, and there was definitely excitement in the air, but it was not to last, as the skies began to darken and the odd raindrop began to fall. Still smelled like fresh cut grass though.

I had the opportunity to drop by the office while the management was still there, and of course they were hip deep in preparations. I don't know if anyone outside the small circle of full time people there have any real idea just how much work goes into running this place. But everyone looked confident and everything seems to be on track.

I sopke to John Houghton briefly and he gave me the 50 cent tour of the improvements they've made to the place. One of these improvements is the VIP lounge, completely redecorated and looking good. He also pointed out a few of the fan-visible improvements...things that, while may not at first glance SEEM that impressive, will defininitely improve the quality of service. Firstly a few new concession stands...one parked down by turn 1 and one down toward turn 4. Both will serve burgers, dogs, pop...that kind of stuff. A new debit system will be in place shortly. In the weeks coming, you'll be able to use debit at the ticket windows and most of the concessions as well. According to John, "In a couple of weeks we're going to be, bar none, the most technologically up to date track in the country."

There are improvements being made to the sound system, as well as to the scoring system. Turn 3 and turn 4 down to the start finish line will be the first phase of the resurface, and the new pit road has already been completed.

Oh...and its possible that we may see an old style weekly race program for sale once again. (for those that don't know, Delaware hasn't done these since the 80s.) I thought that was pretty exciting. I miss those and I think they were a valued part of the experience back then. So that may be in the works too. (I didn't actually get a definite on that.)

After the tour I headed down trackside, and the pits were teeming with Late Models. See, at Delaware, they don't let the guys fire the loud cars until 6 for the most part. So right around 6 I'm wandering down the rows in the Late Model end of the pits, checking out the new guys, introducing myself to a couple that I've met here, including one of the new guys named Steven Matthews, who drives all the way down from New Liskeard and is planning to race here every week. For those who don't know, New Liskeard is a stone's throw from the North Pole. (To illustrate: if you're driving from London, and you hit Barrie, you're not even halfway there yet.)

So there I am standing in a pit full of shiny new Late Models, already grinning from ear to ear, and suddenly most of them fire up. Now I'm standing in the middle of a pit full of running Late Models...and the adrenaline starts to flow, and no one's even turned a lap yet. I look up and down and realize that tonights race, if it goes, is going to be one for the ages. All the usual big guns are here, as well as a boatload of new guys. (not rookies...just guys new to Delaware) I heard an estimate of 26 LMs in the pits, and the bulk of them were competitive ones. If all these guys show every week, we're going to have some amazing races.

In the Super Stock pit, its time to make some reaquaintances and check out the new hardware. Silverthorn Jr's back (9x?). We've got some new guys, like 48-Kelly McColl, 7-Jared Sheilds, 48-Steve "Pee Wee" Smith, and 60-Jake Ott in his lime green camaro. McColl can't seem to catch a break yet. He crashed on one of the practice days, then broke an axle and crashed again during happy hour tonight. Another addition to the field is the 67 Camaro of Raymond Yeo. (That's the blue one, number 55 that made a couple phantom practice runs last year.)

Then there's a raft of older cars with new paintjobs...each and every one looking sharp. Don't know whats up with the blue and yellow though, with both 11-Jason Lidster and 9-DJ Dejesus both sporting that color combo. Jeremiah Rabidau's sporting the same paint as last year, and with the Perkins car having been blue and yellow since the beginning, it adds up to an abundance of blue and yellow liveries. Dan Bugg also sports a new look, with his smart looking red and white number 71. (Dan, who kept giving us weather updates via blackberry, was dubbed "Doppler Dan" by one of the crowd milling around the SS pits.) And of course, the 28 car is back to being its familar red, white and blue.

Unfortunately, due to trying to help with mishap on the Perkins car, I never got around to checking out the Truck pits. All I can really say is that 56-Showler looked pretty good out there.

So everyone got a couple of laps in, but the rain just kept stopping/starting, just light enough to be a teaser. The optomists thought we might just get the races in yet, and the pessimists were already throwing their tires and tools in the trailer.

So then it was off to be a fly on the wall at the driver meeting. Everyone gave Arlen Scherba, Delaware's new sole owner a big hand. Mr Scherba is the guy who (as I understand it) bought out the other three guys, and gave the go ahead for all the things that need to get done around the speedway. He addressed everyone briefly and reminded everyone that racing is a give and take between the fans, the management and the drivers, and that each is a by-product of the other....everyone plays a part in the success of the speedway.

Then they intoduced the Jesses Journey people and did the 50-50 draw. The Jesse's Journey walk itself will happen next week, since A: it was raining and B: as of 7:30 there were about 30 people in the stands.

A brief talk on the use of transponders and radio frequencies ensued, and then the rain started in earnest. It was agreed that while we might still get the races in, it was probably unlikely.

One tidbit - looks like the JBM Auto Leasing 50 lappers are going to be a weird hybrid of a 50 lap race and a twin 25. At lap 25, there's a competition checker/caution, then the green flag again. Ostensibly, its so they can count it as 2 races for the sake of NASCAR points. I don't quite understand why they don't just make it twin 25s...but it should be interesting. Especailly that first 25 lap leg.

And that's the way it was left. At 8 they called it. The track was too wet and it was cold enough (and dropping fast) that it was going to take way too long to dry it. So that was it. We went home.� 

So, while we didn't get to the racing tonight, it was awesome to get out in the pits, shake some hands, and get reacquainted with lots of familiar faces.

It was good to be back.

See you next week.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 02:40:36 AM by Shadowracer » 3 Comments | Write Comment
xx
Re: Delaware - Shadow's Rainout Report - May 1 / 2009
by Shadowracer ... May 02, 2009, 02:51:33 PM
   With all the improvments going on at the track, standing O by the way, did anybody mention if the track lighting was getting upgraded? I think if they did that one thing it would really improve the experience for both fans and drivers.

I'm pretty sure there were lighting upgrades on the list as well.

I also told Paul Houghton that this place has been crying out for years to have a dome over it. He said they'd get right on it. Tongue

xx
by TommySalami ... May 02, 2009, 08:34:25 AM
My brother works for McColl's so I went down to the track last night with him...It's pretty much the only Friday night off from Ohsweken I have all year so I'm disappointed they didn't race last night.

Sure is an awful lot of money tied up in some of those Late Models...yikes...On my list of cars in the pits last night, there are 23 of them.

xx
by ernie ... May 02, 2009, 07:19:08 AM
   I was going to head out but the writing was already on the wall by 5 that the rain was settling in. Then I really got bummed when I figured out the Nationwide race wasn't on until 11:30  Angry
   New Liskard is an 8 hour drive from London, I do it once every spring. Can't imagine doing it every weekend. That guy has some dedication. I guess the only saving grace for him is that when everyone is going North he is going south and visa-versa.
   With all the improvments going on at the track, standing O by the way, did anybody mention if the track lighting was getting upgraded? I think if they did that one thing it would really improve the experience for both fans and drivers.

Happy Race Season - To all Delaware Fans, Staff, Drivers and Crews
by Shadowracer ... April 30, 2009, 01:45:31 AM
Well, the race season is nearly upon us.

In 2 nights time, The fans will pull out those old comfy lawn chairs and blankets, seek out their favored spot on the hill, and get reacqainted with bleacher mates they haven't seen since last September. The safety crews will be loaded up, aware and prepared. The announcers, pipes warmed up and ready, will lean over their mics and start spinning their magic.  Burgers will be grilling. Popcorn will be popping. And the air will be alive with that unique racetrack smell...one part fries-n-vinegar, one part fresh mowed grass, and one part burnt rubber. The drivers will strap on their buckets, tighten their belts, flip those ignition switches, and the countryside to the west of London will rumble to life once again.

After a long winter, its time for Friday night at Delaware.

Its going to be an awesome year. I can feel it in my bones. The winds of change are blowing, and this time they're blowing the right way. The track is being upgraded. The owner is on board. (Arlen Scherba is my new hero.) Management is sound. NASCAR is finally coming back to Delaware, and it looks like the fields are going to be more stellar than they ever have.

Questions abound. Could it be the year Kris Lawrence brings the 28 home with the checkers? The year Wiersma and Clarke kick some old-school butt in the LM division? Can Hooker finally get a win? Could it be the year Paul Fothergill upsets the established balance of power in the Enduro division? And how awesome is it going to be to have the big NASCAR race back home where it belongs? Time will tell all these things, and each one of us comes the table with our own questions....but there's a few things you can be certain of.

We'll see triumph and heartbreak. We'll see thrilling victories, and frightening crashes. We'll feel the swell in our hearts that anyone, fans and competitors alike, get when a guy wins his first feature. The clenched fist and the "YES" when an old timer shows us he can still get er' done. There'll be anger when your best guy gets spun around, and there'll (hopefully not too often) be that awful moment of silence that comes between the sickening crunch of a car heading full bore into the wall, and the moment the announcer catches his breath and says something.

That's racing. That's the allure. If you get it, you get it. If you don't, you won't. You go, not just to be entertained, but to be a part of something bigger. And now its time for the community to come together once more.

I want to take this moment to wish everyone a happy race season.

To the drivers and crews, I wish you the best. I wish you safety, luck, and hopefully victory. Make sure those belts are good, firesuits solid, and those helmets are up to snuff. And help the rookie beside you if you can. I keep coming back because you're all my heroes. Even the guy who comes in last.

To the management and staff: I have faith that we have been, still are, and will be, in good hands. I wish you sunny skies, empty fridges at the end of the night, and many, many full grandstands.

To the Safety Crews: Keep our boys and girls safe...but keep yourselves safe too. Know that many of us up on the hill DO realize the magnitude of your contribution, and we appreciate it greatly.

To my buddies (Richmond Row and everyone involved) What can I say...its gonna be great to see you all again. Hoppyhugs to the ladies and handshakes to the men. (and nachos for FromtheStands...and a megaphone for that Crazylady...and to Jordan "keep your eyes on your fries" Lawrence...well, just somebody feed this kid willya?) 

To the other fans on the hill: I wish you all good times, thrilling races, and great acquaintances. I wish you fond memories, and wonderful times spent on the hill with your families - times your kids will remember when they grow older...and start bringing their kids to the races. But most of all, I wish you a sense of place. I hope that when you walk from your vehicle across the fresh mowed grass and through the main gate, that it feels a little like you're coming home.

I know I will.

Happy race season everyone.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 08:42:53 AM by CanadianRacingOnline » 3 Comments | Write Comment
xx
Re: Happy Race Season - To all Delaware Fans, Staff, Drivers and Crews
by Shadowracer ... May 02, 2009, 12:26:25 AM
Um.....about all that stuff I wrote above?

I meant NEXT week.

*sigh*

stupid rain  Roll Eyes

xx
by Shadowracer ... May 01, 2009, 10:05:56 AM
Heya Dodgeguy. Looks like it could go either way right now. Sunny skies right now as of 10am, but there's clouds in the air too.

xx
by dodgeguy14 ... May 01, 2009, 09:36:16 AM
Hey shadow i was thinking about coming down tonight, how is the weather looking for this evening? also, anyone from the barrie area looking to go tonight, pm me, copilots are welcome!

Most Recent
Delaware + Flam - GRR Boards down and gone.
Shadow Report - May 22 - O'Tools Rent or Buy night (w/pic link)
Internet find. Old-schoolers check this out. Hanley/Beiderman
Del - Shadow Report May 15 - pic links added
Delaware - Reno photo link + Friday May 16 preview.
Delaware - A New Old photo thread.
Shadow Report - Delaware - Heats but no Features, May 8.
Delaware this Friday - JBM Autoleasing LM 50 Lapper.
Delaware - Shadow's Rainout Report - May 1 / 2009
Happy Race Season - To all Delaware Fans, Staff, Drivers and Crews
Archive
May 2009 (9)
April 2009 (1)