Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

+-

Sponsors Ads

Author Topic: Eddie Cheever III starts the 2015 season with a win  (Read 2132 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
Eddie Cheever III starts the 2015 season with a win
« on: May 01, 2015, 09:42:38 PM »

Valencia, Spain - Eddie Cheever III begins his 2015 campaign with a solid and smart performance in the NASCAR Whelen Euro Series season opener in Valencia, in which the Rome-native conquered the first win of the year and a solid fourth place in Race 2. At the end of the spanish weekend, Cheever is second in points, just two lenghts behind the leader. In the Junior "Jerome Sarran" Trophy, won by Eddie in his debut season in 2014, the driver of the #51 CAAL Racing Chevrolet SS is leading, having conquered two victories in front of over 20 thousands fans that gathered at the track to enjoy the American show of the European NASCAR Series.

Eddie Cheever’s amazing weekend started on the right foot on Thursday, when Eddie posted the first and the second best time in the two pre-season test sessions, proving the great development work done by the 21-year-old and his CAAL Racing team during the winter. Good results kept coming in FP1 and FP2, in which Eddie posted two third places, very close to the lead. After easily accessing the Superpole, Cheever earned the second row on the grid clocking the third fastest time.

At the Race 1 start, the yellow #51 Chevrolet SS of the Italian driver climbed to second place behind teammate Nicolò Rocca, passing him with a decisive move on lap 4. From that point, no one could touch the Italian driver on the way to victory. In the Race 2 on Sunday, in front of full grandstands, Cheever started from the fourth spot on the grid. At the end of an eventful first lap, Eddie crossed the start-finish finish line in ninth position and began an aggressive but intelligent comeback to the fourth position, avoiding any risk and maximizing the result in order to gain important points for the championship.

"I'm very happy about my week end! We were fast and competitive  in every session from Thursday. The team did an excellent job on all the cars. Nicolò, Alon and me were competitive in each moment of the race. We have to keep on working to stay at this level." said Cheever, who sits first in the Junior "Jerome Sarran” Trophy. "One year in the European NASCAR taught me a lot of things, in the second race I came back until it was possible and safe, and then I preferred to settle myself for a fourth place. With this points system, if you want to win the championship you have to see the checkered flag in every race."

The Valencia American Fest attracted more than 20.500 people in two days. The fans had the chance to meet drivers and see and touch the cars: “Racing with so many people on the grandstands is fantastic, it's something incredible. The attendance, the happiness of the fans are fundamental for motorsport, and I believe there is no one that knows it better than NASCAR. We have the best fans in the world!".

Next round of the NASCAR Whelen Euro Series is scheduled on May 23rd and 24th, on the half mile oval of Raceway Venray. A new challenge for Eddie: "The position in the points isn't very important for the moment. Of course, to stay on top is always nice and it's better than have a points gap to close, but the most important thing is to get the maximum from each race. From the Magione Semi Finals we will start to think about the championship. Our focus this time is Venray: an oval which is faster than Tours, very american style. It will be a very good training ground to prepare myself for the American NASCAR, but first we have to do good things in Europe!"

Linkback: /smf/index.php?topic=20854.msg113272#msg113272
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« on: May 01, 2015, 09:42:38 PM »

Sponsors Ad

site
stats