« on: June 25, 2009, 03:20:50 PM »
FROM: GORD CRAIG cellphone: (780) 886 – 5232
RE: UPCOMING RACE WEEKEND
RELEASE DATE: Wednesday, June 24th, 2009
KEEPING ON TRACK
EDMONTON, AB – Northern Provincial Pipelines Late Model Series race teams wrap up the month of June with events in Lethbridge and Drumheller, Alberta. The NPP Series travels to Bridge County Raceway Saturday night then will compete Sunday afternoon at the new Dinosaur Downs Speedway grand opening event. Current NPP Series point leader Jason Beaulieu has two winning streaks he’d like to extend. The Campbell River, BC driver has won the last three Feature events at Bridge County Raceway and was the winner of the inaugural NPP Feature race in Drumheller back in May of 2007 (Hidden Valley Motorsports Park). “To be honest I really don’t feel that I am that fast in Lethbridge,” says the driver of the Lucas Oil #46 Dodge, “whether its luck or timing I still manage to end up at the front there.”
Point leader Beaulieu hopes that he’s ‘fast enough’ Trevor Emond looking for first win of the 2009 race season.
in Lethbridge and Drumheller this weekend.
Beaulieu is also welcoming the opportunity to compete at the new Dinosaur Downs Speedway for the very first time. “I like racing at new tracks. Everyone has the same opportunity to win but you need to adapt. Those that adapt the quickest will always find their way to the front.” Trevor Emond, driver of the Glentel Wireless #17 Chevrolet, sits third in the NPP standings just 79 points behind Beaulieu. Emond indicates a strong performance is needed at both tracks in order to stay in the top 5 in the points chase. “We are hoping for a good run this weekend. It’s the same game plan for us. Be consistent.” The three time NPP Series champion from Leduc, Alberta driver is looking forward to the challenge of competing at Drumheller’s brand new track. “From what I understand there really is no other track that we can compare this too. It’s like nothing else we have ever run on. It could make for some interesting racing to wrap up a weekend.” This is the second time in four seasons that the Northern Provincial Pipelines have been invited to a grand opening of a new Alberta race track. The NPP Series helped launch Central Alberta Raceways near Rimbey on July 31st, 2005.
>Saturday, June 27th
Pit Gates: 4:00pm
Spectator Gates: 5:00pm
>Sunday, June 28th
Pit Gates: NOON
Spectator Gates: 1:00pm
WEEKEND RACE NOTES
- In seven appearances at Bridge County Raceway, Jason Beaulieu has finished out of the top-ten only once (14th). Beaulieu has registered four wins, one third, one fourth place in the other races.
- Chris Beaulieu, son of Jason Beaulieu, is filling in for Sidney BC’s Darrell Midgley (#14 Lucas Oil Dodge) for the second weekend in a row. Chris finished third last Saturday night in Okotoks.
- Trevor Emond’s best ever finish in Lethbridge was a second at the inaugural NPP Series race in Lethbridge back on June 3rd, 2006.
- Edson, Alberta’s Dwight Kennedy won the grand opening oval event held at Central Alberta Raceway’s in Rimbey back in 2005. Kennedy also has two Feature wins in Lethbridge including the inaugural NPP race at Bridge County Raceway.
- Saturday’s race is the 9th appearance of the NPP Late Model Series at Bridge County Raceway