Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Gullatta Cleans up at Cayuga  (Read 2089 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
Gullatta Cleans up at Cayuga
« on: June 28, 2008, 09:16:30 PM »

NELLES CORNERS ON (6-28-08) – Nobody does it quite like Nick Gullatta, at least not Saturday afternoon at Cayuga Motor Speedway where the Cleveland, Ohio driver won the 2BKool Pole Award, led the most laps and won the ARCA Lincoln Welders Truck Series 50-lap main event.

“It may have looked easy but it was anything but simple,” said a tired Gullatta from victory lane. “This track is very challenging, very bumpy – we worked very hard on the set-up and fortunately it paid off for us. I want to congratulate Mike Young for a great run today – he did a really nice job out there.”

Gullatta, in the no. 31 Thomson Automotive-Mr. Heater-Enerco Chevy Colorado, slipped underneath Mike Young for the lead on a lap 20 restart and was never seriously challenged from there. Young, in the no. 23 Dave White Chevrolet, finished second, 10 lengths back.

Current series point leader Paul Hahn, in the no. 7 Hahn’s Powder Coating-Fox Auto Parts-Howe Racing Chevrolet, charged from the tail-end after an unscheduled pit stop to finish third.

Duane Bischoff finished fourth in the no. 15 Gamco Concrete-Valvoline-Hoosier Foreign Auto Service Ford Ranger, with veteran Steve Christman trailing in fifth in the no. 19 Bagman Racing Chassis-R&B Fabrication Chevrolet.

Gullatta, who established a new one-lap track record with an average speed of 103.706 mph, started seventh after the inversion and quickly worked his way toward initial race leader Bischoff, who led the first seven circuits from his inside front row starting position. But before Gullatta could get there, Young passed Bischoff for the lead on the eighth lap. By lap 12, Young had pulled out to a 10-length advantage over Gullatta, who had finally cleared Bischoff for second. But in five laps Gullatta caught Young and began challenging for the lead.

Ash Hawkins, who started 14th and finished sixth, earned the Ed & Company Hard Charger honors for advancing the most positions. Two-time and defending series champion Bill Withers finished seventh in front of Tim Schafer, who finished eighth. Tully Esterline was ninth with Brad Yunker 10th, the last truck on the lead lap.

Gullatta, who earned his sixth career series victory at Cayuga, closed to within 50 markers of point leader Hahn.

The next event for the ARCA Lincoln Welders Truck Series will be July 11th at Kil-Kare Raceway in Xenia, Ohio before the series travels west to Iowa Speedway for the inaugural ARCA Lincoln Welders 50-lap main event at the 7/8ths-mile Newton, Iowa oval.

CONTACTS
Don Radebaugh (419) 450-0611
Jackie L. Franzil (419) 574-2685

Official Results
ARCA Lincoln Welders Truck Series
Cayuga Motor Speedway (6-28-08)

FIN
 STR
 NO
 DRIVER/HOMETOWN
 TEAM & CAR
 LAPS
 STATUS 

Nick Gullatta/Cleveland OH
 Thomson Automotive-Mr. Heater-Enerco Chevrolet
 Running

Mike Young/Toledo OH
 Dave White Chevrolet
 Running

Paul Hahn/Canton MI
 Hahn's Powder Coating-Fox Auto Parts-Howe Racing Chevy
 Running

Duane Bischoff/St. Leon IN
 Valvoline Oil-Hoosier Foreign Auto Service Ford
 Running

Steve Christman/Fort Wayne IN
 Bagman Racing Chassis-R&B Fabrication Chevrolet
 Running

Ash Hawkins/Canfield OH
 A&K Racing Chevrolet
 Running

Bill Withers/Columbus OH
 Mannings-Tubular Techniques-Hall Electronics-Wachholz Ford
 Running

Tim Schafer/Canfield OH
 Sprinkler Fitters Union 669-Baird Brothers Sawmill Chevrolet
 Running

Tully Esterline/Pettisville OH
 University of Toledo-Rupp Seeds Chevrolet
 Running

Brad Yunker/Maumee OH
 Owens Community College-Champion Credit Union Chevrolet
 Running

Norm Weaver/Clarksburg WV
 Dan Cava Toyota-Safety Clean-Lifeguard Medical Tacoma
 Running

Mark Otting/Plainwell MI
 Tri County Fuels-Mycogen Seeds Chevrolet
 Running

Robbin Slaughter/Grove City OH
 Ed & Company Racing Supplies Chevrolet
 Running

Paul Vanderhoff/Morenci MI
 Archbold Elevators Chevrolet
 Running

Kenny Kirsch, Sr./West Harrison IN
 Kirsch's Automotive Chevrolet
 Accident

2BKool Quick Qualifier: Nick Gullatta 21.696 (103.706 mph) *NTR

Lap Leaders: Duane Bischoff 1-7 (7); Mike Young 8-19 (12); Nick Gullatta 20-50 (31)

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7739.msg45839#msg45839
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« on: June 28, 2008, 09:16:30 PM »

Offline DWfan4ever

• Series Owner
Re: Gullatta Cleans up at Cayuga
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 11:50:25 PM »
Just curious how was the attendance???  Hopefully it was well attended so they come back next year and on a different weekend from the NCATS series so I can go watch them, sounds like a fun series to watch.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7739.msg45846#msg45846

Offline ernie

• Contributing Members
  • Series Owner
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 08:42:19 PM »
It should be a 2'fer. NCATS and ARCA. That would make it worth camping there and a few double duties would make it very interesting! The race today was GREAT!

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7739.msg45974#msg45974

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 08:42:19 PM »

Offline racenut

• Series Owner
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 09:07:55 PM »
 Attendance Saturday wasn't very good. It was one of the smallest crowds I've seen at Cayuga in a while. Well under a thousand I would guess.  Although the chance of rain was high and the NCATS was running the same night probably didn't help things. Sundays attendance was much better but well below what I was expecting. Less than the May NCATS race. The stands were maybe 1/3 full. Again, weather would have been a factor. I was told that pre-paid tickets were pretty good but many of them didn't show up. I didn't get to see all of the race, I spent the afternoon in and out of the grandstand, but what I did see was pretty good. Not great but still entertaining. Good car count. I had a brief chat with Pete Jr. before the race and told me that he felt that his car was going to be competitive for the race. And he was. I did find his uniform with safety pinned sponsor patches a bit funny though. Expect ARCA to be back. Looking forward to the Cayuga season finale with the NCATS.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7739.msg45977#msg45977

Offline racerfan44

• Series Owner
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 09:37:01 PM »
Would really like to see both ARCA series divisions (Truck & car) back but I am sure ARCA would want a guarinty tickets sales as the trucks under 1,000 spectators will not cut it and the cars 1/2 full if not more.This Cayuga group and all tracks this maybe an eye opener to them (tracks) that they have to advertise (radio.tv & especially newspaper).This is one problem all tracks have it is almost as if they are saying if they can get fans in with out advertising all the better.There is a time when this type of thinking does not work and from what was shown this weekend it did not work.This ARCA Series is dam good racing and probably the best you could get around here.Maybe ARCA should look at maybe next year having a double weekend at Cayuga & then a week or two later at Delaware.Delaware raced ARCA cars approx 20 years (Butch Miller,Bob Kesalowski Etc) and that track drew big crowds.For this to work Delaware would have to fix pit row ,pave track,& fix walls.Whether this could be done by next year who knows.Again Advertise to be sucessful if not do not expect to be sucessful.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7739.msg45982#msg45982

HTML ezBlock

site
stats