Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: The future of Super Stock  (Read 20873 times)

Offline tigeraid

• Track Owner
    • http://www.riffraffracing.net
Re: The future of Super Stock
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2010, 07:35:58 PM »
Like I said:

What we started doing the last couple of years at North Bay (not that that's saying much) is allow the use of late model body panels on "similar" old cars.  So we started having the Camaro guys cut the car away and replace most of it with body panels from 3rd gen f-bodies (82-92), and Metric guys cut away the front end and most of the rear, and replaced them with fenders/bumper covers/noses from Luminas and Monte Carlos (89-98ish).

When done RIGHT (most were, some were not) the cars looked basically like slightly stretched/more square versions of the 1990s cars.

And god knows there's a ton of Luminas and FWD Monte Carlos in junkyards.

;D

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=11059.msg79510#msg79510
John Culbert, Jr.
#66 Adrenaline MMA/Edgy Graphics Chevy

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2010, 07:35:58 PM »

Offline Team 33

• Rookie Driver
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2010, 04:39:40 PM »
To me the parts are to hard to find,,and when you do they want big bucks for them.
Then you have to spend to much time and money cutting them apart and I don't know about you but time still is money.
I feel its about time for a change on the body's these cars are going on forty or plus. Maybe 1 kid from every twenty knows what a Nova or a Malibu is.
To me that's not cool for the fan base for the speedway.
I have a 13 & 17 year old sons and they have know interest in s-stocks and I ask why and its the looks of the cars.
Most kids there on a Friday night with parents in stands are between 3 and 15 from the 90's and the 2000's.
So don't you think we should have cars they know today for them to have interest in.
I think that's why my kids like the trucks so much because they see them as drivers everyday on the streets then on Friday nights they see them at the track and they can identify them as a race vehicle.
Old school guys like the older cars like Chevy II and so on,,why because that's what they liked when they were younger and that's what was around at the time.
Don't you think to keep the kids intrested in the sport we have to give them cars they know,, with out the kids we have no sport .
Now you ask a 8 year old what kind of car bumblebee is and I bet you they can tell ya...

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=11059.msg79654#msg79654

Offline ernie

• Contributing Members
  • Series Owner
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2010, 04:59:08 PM »
I hear you 33. I am one of the guys that like the Chevy IIs and such but how do you bring in the newer body styles and keep to the SS rules or at least the spirit of the rules. There is no new car that can be raced even remotely stock. I know, I know, there isn't really any "stock" racing cars anymore but the SS is as close as we have now (besides the trucks) in higher level local racing series. Even the car pictured to the left, which is from 1969, wasn't "stock" but looked the part. The question is how do you follow the same spirit as the existing SS without just creating a less expensive LLM? I say less expensive but we all know how long that lasts.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=11059.msg79655#msg79655
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 05:01:36 PM by ernie »

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2010, 04:59:08 PM »

Offline jworacing

• Contributing Members
  • Series Owner
  • Cause we suck at hockey
    • JWO Racing
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2010, 07:08:23 PM »
Well the mechanical underlyings of the bodies are truly the real expense, not the bodywork. To have the rules restricting the car owners so heavily as to what actual body you can run is somewhat short sighted. Given the fact that suitable bodies are hard to find and if you are forced to spend your money on rust repair panels that are pretty expensive it leaves you less for tires and such. The down force front ends that are currently on some of the Novas are way beyond the scope of the true intention of the stock rules. Novas never came with splitters!!!! The spirit of the no performanced enhancing modifications is well, shall we say blurry? Now I don't think there is a big deal to make about it, but I get alittle annoyed when you here so much bleating about "Stock" I wonder if my Brother in law gave me his '97 monte to cut up if the track or the other competitors would flip if I stuck it on the 'ole camaro chassis. This is the sort of thing that although was in good spirit when the rule was made has new become sort of obsolete. We are in trying times and working with whats economically available is more paramount then ever. The cars need to remain clean and proffesional looking but really is it such a big deal to buy an aftermarket body and slapped it on your 35 year old chassis? I don't think it's going to move the tenth place car in front of leaders!!!

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=11059.msg79662#msg79662
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 08:35:14 PM by jworacing »
"The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose."
- Dale Earnhardt

Offline moparracer

• Pit Crew
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2010, 07:20:10 PM »
Here's what needs to happen. You open the rules about the bodies. Let the old-school run the old school, and let the new school run the new stuff. That way it makes the majority of the field happy. You let the people with the bucks do the spending, and the ones without do the saving. Their Street stock cars, so everyone knows that there isn't going to be a huge aero advantage. If anyone wants to argue that...you better not be one of those people who hangs stuffed animals from your b-pillar. Another point worth mentioning, lets get Five Star, Performance Bodies or whoever on the phone,and get the ball rolling to release skins for the new Camaro, Mustang, Challenger. Tell me it wouldn't be awesome to see that. 

Just my opinion.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=11059.msg79664#msg79664

Offline ernie

• Contributing Members
  • Series Owner
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2010, 07:40:05 PM »
I think you have said better than I can what I was trying to say JWO. You too MOPAR. One set of rules for a chassis, one set for drive train and one rule for bodies. The rule for the bodies would be something like 'Any North American Sedan'. Then One word....STOCK.

The comments I have made in this thread are from someone who hasn't been active in racing for many, many years so take them as you will. All I know is what I like as a fan and I suspect what a lot of people like is to see a division of race cars that look like the cars we drive. This is why the SS and truck divisions are my favorite divisions. The cars that are now on the track just happen to be the cars that I grew up with and drove but if you could bolt on some Impala, Monte Carlo, Taurus, Grand Prix, Charger or as Mopar says Camaro and Challenger sheet metal on existing chassis then I say go. The thing is the bodies can not be allowed to morph into LM or LLM or ACT or purpose built shells. If that happened then the Spirit of SS that I and so many others find attractive is gone.

After the body on the 57 Pontiac (car to the left) was done my Uncle put a 64 Corvair body on the 57 chassis. It retained the 8 cylinder 302 Z for a year until he dropped to the 6 cylinder class for the next few years. Now neither of these cars were stock except for the bodies. This again is the attrative part of what was the class then and now. All the other stuff underneath is for the rules to keep the class competative.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=11059.msg79665#msg79665
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 07:54:18 PM by ernie »

Offline jworacing

• Contributing Members
  • Series Owner
    • JWO Racing
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2010, 08:21:19 PM »
Ernie I really can't argue with your logic. Your comments and Moparacers are valid. it would be sweet to hang a 2010 Camaro on my 1980 chassis!!! The fans would go wild. and I say aero schmaero give us a stuffed animal. I'm looking for a stuffed kermith the frog! we will gladly compensate anybody who brings us a kermit the frog stuffed toy ;D

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=11059.msg79666#msg79666
"The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose."
- Dale Earnhardt

Offline Team 33

• Rookie Driver
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2010, 09:38:17 PM »
How would you like to see a generic body ,,,to fit all cars.
Possibly a Camaro maybe Challenger and Mustang that would look stock and fit

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=11059.msg79670#msg79670
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 11:09:58 PM by Team 33 »

Offline jworacing

• Contributing Members
  • Series Owner
    • JWO Racing
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2010, 09:44:27 PM »
- Dale Earnhardt

Offline Thunder6

• Don't mess with Tex
  • Series Owner
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2010, 10:40:31 PM »
Well Barrie has had the "New Gen" car for several years now... Thayne's car is one, and so is the car I work on.

It's fabricated using "W" body GM, Chrysler Intrepid platform and the four door Ford Taurus among others. It's a bit of work but it costs substantially less than $2000 and there aren't any fibreglass parts. You can use the standard late model nose and tail cones, which are available for the LLM. I think the cars look great. The 5 Star '88 Monte is nice too, but there is nothing like getting into the 2000's... the fans love it. Guys, a Lumina / MC / GP, Intrepid, Taurus can be had for very low $$$ these days as a donor, and the fab skills will never hurt to have. It's your time and material. JCrash I don't know how they could accomodate the Camaro leaf car... I don't know the measurements for the later cars... all our cars are Metric. I'd rather stay away from 'glass if possible, unless you have CASCAR budget to replace stuff all the time...

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=11059.msg79672#msg79672
"Dont be BEECH! And as always comrades, have nice day" fpsrussia

Offline streetstocker33

• Series Owner
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2010, 06:54:12 PM »
Well Barrie has had the "New Gen" car for several years now... Thayne's car is one, and so is the car I work on.

It's fabricated using "W" body GM, Chrysler Intrepid platform and the four door Ford Taurus among others. It's a bit of work but it costs substantially less than $2000 and there aren't any fibreglass parts. You can use the standard late model nose and tail cones, which are available for the LLM. I think the cars look great. The 5 Star '88 Monte is nice too, but there is nothing like getting into the 2000's... the fans love it. Guys, a Lumina / MC / GP, Intrepid, Taurus can be had for very low $$$ these days as a donor, and the fab skills will never hurt to have. It's your time and material. JCrash I don't know how they could accomodate the Camaro leaf car... I don't know the measurements for the later cars... all our cars are Metric. I'd rather stay away from 'glass if possible, unless you have CASCAR budget to replace stuff all the time...
When I was running street stock I had always hoped they would stay as far away from the stuff barrie was doing with the new gens as possible, those things are the worst looking race cars in North America. I haven't been a fan of the way the Delaware cars have been going (probably why I never finished the last car I was putting together ;) ) but hey, whatever, maybe that's why some of us have moved onto other things.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=11059.msg79685#msg79685

Offline Thayne

• Series Owner
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2010, 07:06:14 PM »
if u saw my car this year, you wouldn't think so.....

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=11059.msg79686#msg79686

Offline streetstocker33

• Series Owner
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2010, 07:13:25 PM »
if u saw my car this year, you wouldn't think so.....
1 nice car doesn't make it a good change

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=11059.msg79687#msg79687

Offline biffisgreat

• Rookie Driver

Offline jworacing

• Contributing Members
  • Series Owner
    • JWO Racing
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2010, 10:03:22 PM »
I never really had any trouble working with glass, and the results were pretty darn good. Tears are easy to mend and nothing wrinkles!

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=11059.msg79693#msg79693
- Dale Earnhardt

HTML ezBlock

site
stats