Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Border Patrol – A weekly look at racing from both sides of the 1000 Islands  (Read 960 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
Border Patrol – A weekly look at racing from both sides of the 1000 Islands

Craig Revelle – August 22, 2010

Any time you become involved in outdoor activities, dealing with the weather and the elements comes with the territory, and both Saturday and Sunday events on my racing schedule were lost to the elements of mother nature, as both Brockville Speedway and Cornwall Speedway canceled their racing programs.  Rain started early Saturday morning, and continued into the hours of Monday morning, canceling most weekend events at tracks in the area on Saturday and Sunday nights.

For the second straight week, I started my racing week off with a visit to the Brockville Speedway Go-Kart track on Wednesday night.  The Kart is racing is open to all ages, with some competitors competing as young as age five.  Go-Kart racing is a fun affordable way to get involved in racing.

On Friday night, I visited Chapman’s Can Am Motorsports Park.  The Speedway hosted SUNY Canton Series events for the Small Block Modifieds and Sportsman, as well as a full show of IMCA Modifieds, Street Stocks, Pure Stocks, Thunder Cars and Mod Lites.

In the SUNY Canton event for the Small Block Modifieds, Matt Billings was clearly the class of the field on this night, as he led every lap of the 25-lap feature.  Billings finished ahead of Danny O’Brien, who came from the back after getting caught up in a mid race incident on the front straightaway.  Tim O’Brien finished third, Bobby Herrington finished fourth, and Jeremy Wilder finished in fifth, ending the streak of Canadian drivers finish first through fourth.

Sammy Reakes and Brandon Hagan traded the lead in the Sportsman feature, but in the end it was Tim Sears Jr picking up the win.  Reakes finished second, Hagan third, Josh Van Brocklin was fourth and Jeff Stevenson was fifth.

Sid Harmer Sr. won the Street Stock feature.  Kevin Smith was the Pure Stock winner, JJ Courcy win the IMCA Modified main event, Jon Williams was the Thunder car winner and Rich Rainville topped the Mod Lite division.

At the Mohawk Raceway, also on Friday night, the World of Outlaws made their first ever appearance the Hogansburg, New York track.  The Outlaws were there for a weekend show, with qualifying on Friday night, and the Main event on Saturday night.  Chub Frank, of Bear Lake Pennsylvania set fast time, and Frank, Darrel Lanigan and Rick Eckert won the qualifying heats.  Dale Planck won the Modified feature, and Chris Raabe broke a 16 year DIRTcar Record with most wins in a season in the Sportsman division, picking up his 25th win of 2010.  Saturday night’s portion of the World of Outlaws, and a Mr. DIRTcar Pro Stock series race has been postponed to September 1st.  The World of Outlaws Late Model Series will feature a 100 lap race, paying $20000 to the winner.

On Saturday night, the Brockville Ontario Speedway officials were forced to cancel their night of racing for the second time this season.  Cornwall Speedway suffered the same fate the following night, and this marked the third consecutive rainout for them, and the fourth this season.

Also on Sunday, despite the heavy rain that fell most of the day, Chapman’s Can Am Motorsports Park hosted their first ever Can Am Froggy Jam, featuring Gretchen Wilson, Chris Cagle and Easton Corbin.  The concert was great, but it sure would have been nice if the weather were a little better.  Those that did attend the concert had a fantastic time, and hopefully the Chapman family will do this again next season.

This coming Friday night at Chapman’s Can Am Motorsports Park will be a full show, featuring the Modifieds, Sportsman, IMCA Modifieds, Late Models, Street Stocks, Pure Stocks, Thunder Cars, and Mod Lites.  Brockville Speedway will host a special 100-lap Quebec/Ontario Challenge Series race, along with Sportsman and Rookies on Saturday, and the weekend will conclude on Sunday at Cornwall with Modifieds, Sportsman, Pro Stocks, and a special 25-lap race for both the Semi-Pro and Mini Stock divisions.

I hope you have enjoyed my weekly column.  Any comments or suggestions can be sent to crevelle@ripnet.com or check out my new website, www.finishlinewebdesign.ca

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=12151.msg86640#msg86640
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

HTML ezBlock

site
stats