Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: LARGE NUMBER OF ROOKIES GET UP TO SPEED IN MERRITTVILLE TEST AND TUNE NIGHT –  (Read 1201 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
LARGE NUMBER OF ROOKIES GET UP TO SPEED IN MERRITTVILLE TEST AND TUNE NIGHT –
BARON ROOFING AND SIDING TRIPLE 50 EVENT NEXT TEST

For Immediate Release April 18, 2010.  From Jim Irvine - Merrittville Public Relations - 905-892-8266 or jimirvine@cogeco.net

Thorold, Ontario (April 18) – Race fans have been driving past Merrittville Speedway and seeing all the track prep that has been taking place in anticipation of the start of the 2010 Racing Season.

Race teams have been hard at work on their machines all winter in anticipation of the same thing.

One of the largest Test and Tune fields April 17th set the tone for next week’s Baron Roofing and Siding’s Spring Sizzler and the balance of the season. Diehard fans that braved the cold temperatures surely weren’t disappointed in the more than 3 hour tune up that featured a large number of rookies mixed in with veteran returning drivers.

“Through all the Lucas Oil Weekly Racing Series Divisions,” boasted (Merrittville GM) Erica Bicknell, “we have new drivers joining in … others taking on new challenges in a new division … former drivers coming back as well … it’s shaping up to be quite a year!”

Last weekend, rookies that took part in the annual Bicknell Racing Products Chassis Seminar and Pete Bicknell Driving School got the jump start on the season.

Rob Murray – the Thorold Track three time Hoosier Stock Champion was one of the attendees preparing for his first ever season not in a full fendered race car. The St. Catharines driver has moved on to the Original Pizza Logs Sportsman Division.

“He was probably a little nervous last week,” revealed Murray’s wife Kellie, “tonight … he’s shown some real improvement.” “We found some problems with the car last week,” added the overwhelmed rookie driver Murray, “I know what I have to do out there … a few times I missed my marks … but it’s been a couple good weeks!”

One of the newest second generation drivers making his own start this season also took part in the school is living a dream after growing up cheering on his dad and his uncle.

The brothers-in-law and L. St. Amand Enterprises Wall of Famers – none other than Davey Moore and Harvey Hainer Jr.

“I actually liked it better this week with other cars out there with me,” exclaimed Jason Moore – son of the 5 time Merrittville Champion Davey Moore, “seat time is what I need most now … such a better car this week after we made some changes.”

Another rookie liking running in the pack better than the single car runs through most of last week was former J&S Heating and Air Conditioning Modified Lite Point Champion Shawn Sliter. “Some of the Sportsman style is coming back,” revealed Sliter, “I’ve found though I can learn more following someone or trying to catch them.”

Many of the field of 20 358 Modifieds that took practice were chasing him though as the Port Colborne driver’s Modern Corporation #71 was among the Top 5 in lap times throughout the night. While the elder Sliter has left the Modified Lite Division – the family name could still be heard a lot this season.

Josh Sliter – his nephew – has improved each season but is 2010 his break through year?

“I can’t believe it,” prided Sliter, “I set fastest time in not only my car … but my dad’s too.”

While the World of Outlaws Late Models would later have too many of the front-runners slow off the pace victims of flat tires in the Commonwealth 100 at the West Virginia Motor Speedway – the Stan Miskin-owned Super Late Model may not have had any tire wear at all.

Former Street Stock Champion Jeff Dayman had his #7D Rocket Chassis up on just two wheels at times – circling the d-shaped oval in impressive style. “Really … there is so much body roll in these types of cars,” informed Dayman, “while it may look pretty spectacular from the stands … from my vantage point … you don’t really know just how many tires are making contact with the track.”

Hoosier Stock veteran Kevin Knapp came off the final session really positive about his season, “the Aaron’s Dream Machine … was just awesome!” Former Point Champion Mike Dooley is returning this season – sharing driving duties of the Hoosier Stock with Kevin Kocarik, “it’s good to be back in race car.”

Another driver looking at two huge learning curves in 2010 is former Modified Lite veteran Adam Leslie who has also made the move to the Sportsman Division.

“Our first few sessions … the car wouldn’t steer,” admitted the former karter, “the two cars are so different … we made some changes … I think the last run was the best.”

During the off season, Leslie has travelled to North Carolina several times to attend RACE 101 – a trip that he will make several times throughout the summer. In fact - the next visit to the renowned racing school will find him on track … in an asphalt late model.

Merrittville’s Sportsman Division will see a new champion as 2009 Champ Chad Chevalier has moved up to the premier L. St. Amand Enterprises 358 Modified Division. “Definitely some learning ahead for me,” said Chevalier after the final session, “although the two divisions look so much alike … it’s so much faster now … and so different.”

Another rookie that took in the school before the open practice summed it up on his Face Book page last week … What a rush!

“Moving from the Hoosier Stocks to the 358s,” boasted rookie Shayne Pierce, “definitely the coolest thing I’ve ever done!”

For awhile it looked like he had reverted to his Kart Racing days in running laps around the Tuesday Night infield track – the crew would later discovered a kinked fuel line, “ it would just shut right off in the turns … better to find it now than during a race night!”

The next text for the 2010 Rookies and veterans alike is the Baron Roofing & Siding Spring Sizzler – Saturday April 24th that will feature Triple 50s for the L. St. Amand Enterprises 358 Modifieds, Original Pizza Logs Sportsman and Hoosier Stocks plus practice time once again for the J&S Heating and Air Conditioning Modified Lites and Turn 4 Collision 4 Cylinders.

Bobby Herrington – a regular from the Brockville Speedway was in attendance shaking down his new Twenty 10 BRP Race Car powered by local engine shop ERD in preparation for the May 24th Super DIRTcar Series 100 lap Main Event presented by Zavitz Financial Strategies and Employee Benefits.

April 24th’s 358 Modified 50 lap Event will pay the winner $2500 courtesy of purse additions provided by Baron Roofing’s Terry Keagan. Could there be others in the pits looking to get some track time before the big early season event?

Baron Roofing has also added to the Sportsman and Hoosier Stock pay envelopes. For one the event opens the 2nd annual King of the Crates Series powered by Niagara Motors and for the other – it kicks off the Duel on the Dirt Big 6 Series against the Brighton Speedway Pro Stocks.

Gates open at 4 PM – Show time is at 5:30. For further information call the Speedway Office at 905-892-8266 or visit www.merrittvillespeedway.com. Race fans can also Merrittville on Face Book and Twitter.

Inside Track Motorsport News Pit Notes

J&S Heating and Air Conditioning Modified Lite veterans Paul Klager and Chris Steele left early with problems as did third generation Hoosier Stock veteran Brent Begolo. Merrittville Co-announcer Mikey Kruchka was shaking down his Big Moose Racing Sprint Car. Former Pro Stock Champion and Pace Car Driver Steve Devos is looking at a couple new things in 2010. Moving to a new position in the infield and getting behind the wheel of the Rick Baker-owned Late Model. Devos ran a number of sessions in the #78 that he will race May 22nd when the BRP Can Am Late Models visit.

Join us this season on a Saturday Night for a LUCAS OIL WEEKLY RACING SERIES EVENT featuring FIVE Divisions featuring local heroes and up and coming new stars and special events including the inaugural June 17th WoO LMS Extravaganza presented by Brian’s Tire Repair Turn 4 Collision and PineView Drywall and brought to race fans by GIANT FM, TV Cogeco, Modern Corporation, Cotton, Inc, Toolneeds, Auto FX Graphics and Signs and IBEW Local 303 Niagara.

The May 1st deadline is coming up quickly to save on Advance Tickets. Phone orders will also be accepted with either VISA or MasterCard or via e mail at ebicknell@cogeco.net. They will also be available during April 24th’s event.

Make your plans … call your friends and maybe even get a carpool together and enjoy a staycation at the speedway with plenty of free parking and camping spots – a night at the races is so much fun and so close to home!

Your Local Dirt Track is where it’s at!!! Merrittville Speedway ‘The Best Family Entertainment in Niagara.”

MERRITTVILLE SPEEDWAY SPONSORS

The 2010 Lucas Oil Weekly Racing Series for Merrittville Speedway’s 5 Divisions is brought to race fans and racers by division sponsors – L. St. Amand Enterprises, Original Pizza Logs, J&S Heating and Air Conditioning, Hoosier Tire Canada and Turn 4 Collision in addition to contingency sponsors Bicknell Racing Products, Bilstein Shock Absorbers, Brodix Cylinder Heads, Hoosier Tire, Lucas Oil Products, Inside Track Motorsport News, Intercomp, ISC Racer’s Tape, Jaz Products, Kirkey Racing Fabrication, Motorsports Safety Systems, Outerwears, Port City Racing, R.J.S. Racing Equipment, Racing Optics, Schroeder Torsion Bars, Schoenfeld Headers, Ultra Shield Race Products, Wrisco Industries and XRP, Inc.

Lucas Oil Products is one the fastest growing additive lines in the consumer automotive industry featuring a premium line of oils, greases and problem solving additives.

Through innovative product research and development along with aggressive marketing programs, Lucas Oil Products has established itself as the top selling additive in the industry.

Look for Lucas Oil Products at their favorite automotive retailer or maintenance centre including Drummond Home Hardware, KC Auto Parts, RCM Racing Equipment and Tim Phillips Garage.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=11171.msg80200#msg80200
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

HTML ezBlock

site
stats