Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Lowndes has the V8 Supercar edge at Sargent Security Phillip Island 360  (Read 727 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
Championship leader Craig Lowndes believe he has the edge on main rival Jamie Whincup in the title hunt at the Sargent Security Phillip Island 360, but the honours will be even in Sydney.

Lowndes has an impeccable record at the free-flowing Phillip Island through his career and while Whincup won here twice in 2009 his results have varied.

In today's practice session Lowndes was third to Jeld-Wen Racing's Alex Davison and Fujitsu Racing GRMs Alex Premat on a day when drivers struggled to adjust to the newly laid Phillip Island surface.

Whincup was 13th with Championship contenders Mark Winterbottom (fifth) and Will Davison (sixth). Lowndes has a slender six point lead over Whincup from Winterbottom and Davison.

Lowndes has eight wins at Phillip Island, second only to Mark Skaife, with its fast corners suiting the driver renowned for being able to flow a car.

"We have had good runs here in the past," Lowndes said. "He (Jamie) has possibly struggled a little here in recent times but then when we get to Sydney it's probably 50-50."

Lowndes said while Whincup was his main head-to-head rival clearly, Winterbottom and Davison were lurking and ready to pounce.

"We have just got to keep pushing on," he said. "We are in a good position. I'm not going to do anything crazy stupid but if I can leave here with the lead it's game on at the concrete jungle.

"The next two weeks are clearly critical, we are going to be in for a fight."

Lowndes was not surprised with the fast pace of the Phillip Island track with Davison smashing his previous practice record by almost two seconds with quicker times expected tomorrow.

"The grip here is remarkable, they have done a fantastic job. It will only get faster as we get more into the weekend."

Davison, out of contract at the end of the year, was happy to be quickest but reserved in his approach.

"I'm not punching the air right now but I will be in I am six tenths in front tomorrow," he said. "Days like these you seem to do it really easily. I will keep it going as best I can while I'm up there."

Jason Bright, Winterbottom, Davison, Tim Blanchard, Michael Caruso, Tim Slade and Scott Pye also made the top 10; Caruso (Nissan) and Slade (Mercedes-Benz AMG) ensuring all four manufacturers were represented.

Fabian Coulthard, who was fastest in the second session, only managed 11th, with Scott McLaughlin, quickest in practice one, 26th after power steering problems with his #33 Commodore.

One final practice session remains tomorrow, ahead of qualifying and the 60/60 Super Sprint race.

This email was sent by: V8 Supercars Australia Pty Ltd
34 Nerang Street Nerang, QLD, 4211 Australia

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=18749.msg109942#msg109942
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

HTML ezBlock

site
stats