Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: 150 Lap Late Model Special at Sauble  (Read 12315 times)

Offline smokinjoe00

• Series Owner
Re: 150 Lap Late Model Special at Sauble
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2008, 08:12:25 PM »
of the 31 cars that showed only about 6 or 7 were llm....saubles limited of parker ran 4th in the first 50 lap segment....

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7238.msg44237#msg44237

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2008, 08:12:25 PM »

Offline 25_JLM_13hp

• Series Owner
  • GBS Mini-Truck #25
    • Clancy Motorsports - JCAR Racing Team
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2008, 08:32:05 PM »
You can go ahead and blame the speedway for stalling, and doing intros (which I also felt were unnecessary), but the bottom line is that the drivers were wrecking each other, taking forever to line up, and some would stop and argue with officials. Yes the track should have not done intros, maybe dropped the LCQ, but those were maybe 15 minutes each. That wouldn't have made the first 50 lap segment any shorter.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7238.msg44238#msg44238

Offline racerfan44

• Series Owner
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2008, 10:32:54 PM »
This is a learning process that this track and new owners will call growing pains good or bad what to do and not they have learned after last night.Cars & drivers who want to stop on the track to argue where they should start after a caution.Easy solution give them one chance to line up properly if not black flag that car and send him to the pits for one lap and if he does not like it well then tell him to park it for the night.One thing do not let the inmates (drivers ) run the show.You have the proper people (officials ) doing their jobs so leave it that way.Car count for first time race 31-32 cars was great for a first time.This race I think can work and will get better for years to come if they decide to keep it which I hope they will.Keep up the good work and good things will happen.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7238.msg44240#msg44240

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2008, 10:32:54 PM »

Offline racingwrench

• Series Owner
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2008, 10:37:22 PM »
solving the lineup issues is pretty easy it's called cracking the whip.  Those guys know where they are supposed to go 90% of the time so go there and if your wrong you will be at the back and hold them to it.Also you can use the spotters for instruction if you put them all in one area. IF your invovled in more than two cautions your gone and if you pull out to draw a caution your done.  Yes there was alot of banging but the cautions taking too long are a very big issue since most of those cars were able to continue the race.  I have no respect for lack of a well  equipped safety crew that moved at the speed of molasses in the cold of the night.  And I found that the track was prolonging the cautions more than the drivers.  race fan you posted while I was typing and I am not going togo through this post right now I'm going to bed.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7238.msg44241#msg44241

Offline hotrodder

• Pit Crew
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2008, 09:18:44 AM »
Shortrackfan you have to chill a bit on saubles new track owner.  Have you ever owned a short track?  As a race fan I am impressed with your commitment visiting many tracks each year.  You must have a blast!  I have read some negative and positive on sauble and the 150 late model feature run this past wknd.  Yes...I am still tired from a late night but hey I wouldn't have missed it.  First of all lets be constructive, thank the Thoms for owning a speedway, welcome them to the sport we love, and encourage them.  Dumping on them right out of the gate is not good for anyone.  All tracks dirt or asphalt are experiencing good and bad.  Whether car counts, attendance, etc.  The reality of sauble is they are based in a smaller populated region that relies on tourism and tourism doesn't fire up until Canada day.  You would be hard pressed to find a small crowd in the summer unless the weather was crappy.  As for car counts at sauble, give the new owners time.  You don't think they they would like larger car counts?  Of course they would.  Let them work on this.  Do you know they have a 4 cylander rental program for this year.  I am sure it is done to encourage newbies to try it and hopefully they get hooked, buy a car and start racing.  And charging less at the gate may not be a good business decision.  As I said hard pressed not to have a good crowd in the summer.  Sure maybe a cheaper gate fee in May or June. 

As for the 150 late model feature...I was there..and loved it.  Yes the crowd was maybe a few hundred but the pits were full.  It was an awesome atmosphere.  Heck...Kirk Hooker flew into a local private landing strip so he could get there.  It was a great field of cars.  Sure, didn't need the driver intros and pre-race stuff but that was a small part of it.  I've read many dumping or commenting on Sauble cars at the 150...who cares...these guys want to race and some of them have good equipment and as we saw ran with the best of them.  I sure agree with the race starting late and taking much much too long.  But in the end I bet Jason and Aimee learned a lot and I am sure they were just as frustrated but at the same time probably were very pleased and thankful of the turn out of late models.  It has been a long time since a field of that quantity and caliber has showed up at Sauble or any track for that matter.  (I sure miss Alstar)  It was too bad the weather from 5-7 was rain because that kept the fans away.  7:45 the sun was shining!  Sauble is one of the nicest facilities going and the new owners are solid local business people with a racing history.  I hope they keep the Strawberry Ice 150 going for years to come...it can only get better.  Remember there is another late model feature coming up in august sometime and I hope to see another solid field there.  As a racing fan who relies on sauble for my shortrack racing fix..I am just fine with it all.

Thanks to all the race teams for travelling to sauble...fuel costs suck right now!  Thanks also for maybe missing your local track race (ie; Flamboro adding to the purse and extra points if you stayed home to race...mmm)
And thanks for giving the fans who were there a great experience.  There is nothing better when Ontarios best late model drivers all show up at the same venue (still miss Alstar)
So...lets encourage the new sauble owner, the new sunset owner, the new barrier owner.  Thank you to them for stepping in and buying these historic tracks and thanks to the previous owners for everything you did.

Hey...my guess it's not any easy business to be in!

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7238.msg44246#msg44246

Offline Shadowracer

• Global Moderator
  • Series Owner
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2008, 02:00:15 PM »
Sounds like an OK night. Good field of cars and good showing for the Delaware gang. And awesome to hear Robblee is back in fighting trim.

Delays happen, but it sounds like the new owners there need to take a lesson in keeping it moving. And I'll say it again - the tradition of lining the cars up and introing the drivers out of car is a tradition that needs to be taken out behind the barn and shot. Repeatedly. Until dead. There's just so many better ways to intro drivers that don't involve having the audience sitting in the cold for 30 mins to an hour watching nothing.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7238.msg44258#msg44258
CHECK OUT THE "SHADOW REPORT" GROUP ON FACEBOOK FOR LIVE RACE PICS AND UPDATES

HTML ezBlock

site
stats