Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: ASCS puts on great show at the O  (Read 2451 times)

Offline Pinecrest

• King of Canadian Racing Online
  • Series Owner
ASCS puts on great show at the O
« on: July 07, 2007, 08:21:11 AM »

The American Sprint Car Series show at Ohswegen last night one of the best shows I have seen this year . With cars from Ont Que Mi and NY they had a good car count of about 30 quality sprinters .  18 yr old Bobby Breen was dominant winning his heat , the dash and the A main , I wont give you a race recap since the ASCS has already got everything posted on there site .   http://www.ascsracing.com/

A few comments about the track and other racing last night you wont see on the ASCS site . Oshweken still has the nicest restrooms of any track in Canada , I point this out because the condition of the restrooms is always one of the first things my wife points out to me . Tracks need to remember that most guys take their better half to the track with them and as the saying goes "if momma ain't happy no one is happy".

Construction is going full bore in anticipation of the upcoming WoO race . New lighting and upgrades to the PA system are in, seating capacity has been increased by about 60 %  a new catch fence has been installed on the front and back chute but there are a couple of big problems. The new taller 2' square chainlink catch fence has been installed about six inches behind the old 2' square chain link fence and when you look through the double fence on more then a 45 degree angle it almost obliterates your view of the track trying to see through both fences . I don't know if they are going to remove the old fence but I hope so . The new grand stand they have erected deep in turn 1 is about 32 rows high but if you are going to the WoO race and not sitting in the top 10 rows you will need goggles and a mask since the stands are about where they pitch the sprinters sideways . If you have seats in the bottom 10 rows I would suggest a full face helmet since the ASCS cars were pitching dirt clods bigger then my fist into the stands and the WoO cars will pitch them bigger and harder. My suggestion is sit in the new stands on the pit side and high up to avoid having to look through the double fence and take advantage of the prevailing wind at your back that blows the dust away from you .

My only other complaint of the night was the track broke up pretty bad . Two big holes in the natural grove coming off of turn four launched a few cars into the front chute wall and made passing coming off four very difficult . Another hole opened up going into turn 1 that was treacherous to say the least . The track never really got a nice cushion which led to several cars sailing over the edge of the track including home boy Styers . I got there early and saw they did allot of track prep so I am not sure how they will cure these problems .

All and all it was a great show and for those of you that haven't been to Oshwegen for a while or ever I would highly recommend it .

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6276.msg26772#msg26772
The opinions expressed here are mine and not necessarily those of CRO or its other members , but should be .

CanadianRacingOnline.com

ASCS puts on great show at the O
« on: July 07, 2007, 08:21:11 AM »

Offline mike32

• Series Owner
  • Last of the Time Lords
Re: ASCS puts on great show at the O
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 10:57:29 AM »
agreed. They added some new clay also which I think created the rutting in turn 4. Fred Cade was really fast all night and so was Hebing until he hopped the cushion in turn 1-2 of the feature. I think the old fence was supposed to be moved to corner 1-2 to protect the pit road/parking lot so I hope that happens also.
I tried the new stands in corner 4 and they were great, but I think I heard Clinton Geoffrey say that they would be partly disassembled after the WOO show. One thing that track has needed since day one is better higher stands, so I hope these new stands are not just a one time tease. I know of occasional fans who like the track but do not like the regular grandstands (too low-lack of leg room-lack of aisles in some sections). Sportsmen field was a little short (16) as the P38, 777, 01, & 21j were all running a tour race at Brewerton, but the field did a great caution free feature.
Nice field of 360 sprints (29 plus Hebing-Demming & Styres also had a second car in the pits)

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6276.msg26775#msg26775

Offline AutoAssembler

• Series Owner
    • http://www.rpeer.com
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 11:09:53 AM »
Agreed, it was a good night of racing. I was one sitting up in the top row of the new stands, in turn 1. You need glasses, even up there, they were kicking the dust up pretty good. Had my daughter & son-in-law out to a dirt race for their first time, they had a blast, I told them, where else can you go to a sporting event and participate (meaning the dust)!

I was in the top row about the start finish line pre-race time, but because of the double fence moved to turn 1. I imagine they'll be taking the old fence out. Nice to see Glenn finish out front as well!

Who was in the 23 car last night RW, whoever it was, did a fantastic job? Tell the gang, I said so!

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6276.msg26776#msg26776
Randy

-----------------------------------------
2008: DIS, NSS, Cayuga, Ste. Eustache, Barrie, Mosport, Kawartha, Sun Valley, Edmonton, Trois Rivieres, Circuit Villeneuve, Riverside.

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 11:09:53 AM »

Offline Pinecrest

• King of Canadian Racing Online
  • Series Owner
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 01:21:57 PM »
 A few other observations .

The small block modifieds put on a good show with a good car count . The 85 cent gas on the reservation was very cool since I drive a pick up with a big block in it and I have never seen a race crowd leaving a track that was so polite as to letting people in and enter the road getting out of the joint .

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6276.msg26782#msg26782
The opinions expressed here are mine and not necessarily those of CRO or its other members , but should be .

Offline racewoman

• Series Owner
  • He has my whole heart
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 07:22:55 PM »
Agreed, it was a good night of racing. I was one sitting up in the top row of the new stands, in turn 1. You need glasses, even up there, they were kicking the dust up pretty good. Had my daughter & son-in-law out to a dirt race for their first time, they had a blast, I told them, where else can you go to a sporting event and participate (meaning the dust)!

I was in the top row about the start finish line pre-race time, but because of the double fence moved to turn 1. I imagine they'll be taking the old fence out. Nice to see Glenn finish out front as well!

Who was in the 23 car last night RW, whoever it was, did a fantastic job? Tell the gang, I said so!

Thanks AutoAssembler that was Matt my youngest (17 year old) racing.

They need to finish the fence off if you noticed the new fence is just tacked on and is on the wrong side of the poles.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6276.msg26796#msg26796
I will fix the coolant lines...you pick up the supper! Careful watching me cook may give you a heart attack ;)

HTML ezBlock

site
stats