Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Why sunset is goin to fail???  (Read 15957 times)

Offline Deb

• Team Owner
    • http://
Re: Why sunset is goin to fail???
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2008, 12:07:28 AM »
I am one of those employees that devote endless hours into the speedway every week.  I recently just spend two weeks working out points and race finishes for the drivers.  I continue to set up the drivers sheets to keep track of everyones points and stats.
Wes and I discussed changing the points and percentage procedure and bring it to standards with some of the other local small tracks.  When word got out to the driver's they had to complain.  So take note:  when I called Wes just yesterday to discuss exactly how things were going to go.  His words " No I don't want to upset the drivers, we will leave it alone for this year and get together in the off season to discuss what changes we want to make at that time." 

Also in regards to all the mistakes that were made in the beginning with payouts for the drivers etc.  We are going thru from the beginning who was paid what and compare with how I have determined how you finished.  Any difference in pays will be made up to you.  You can ask 97 Thunder Car Roy Anderson I corrected a large mistake with his just last week. 
Were working on making things better for everyone at the track, I am always approachable and if you feel something isn't right feel free to ask.
Before everyone gets too opinionated give the man a chance.  I wish 3/4 of you people talking could have seen what he did back in the late 70's early 80's, I did and that brought me back to Sunset knowing the place still has hope.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7705.msg45517#msg45517

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2008, 12:07:28 AM »

Offline blkflagagain

• Fell short of the 20 race mark in 2009.. Quite sad indeed!!!
  • Series Owner
  • Good luck to all in 2012
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2008, 12:41:36 AM »
Well I bet there glad to have you back Deb!! From what I remember in my years down there your a excellent scorer and really nice lady who truly cares about the place as your other family members do. Nice to hear your back enjoying what you love and thats racing. There a lucky bunch down there to now have you on top of things as it relates to race results. Take care and enjoy the season. DAVE VOKEY

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7705.msg45521#msg45521
Once a king always a king. Once a queen always a queen. Once a knight.......... never enough!!!

Offline Slammer

• Double Zero
  • Track Owner
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2008, 08:06:26 AM »
Deb said:
Were working on making things better for everyone at the track, I am always approachable and if you feel something isn't right feel free to ask.
Before everyone gets too opinionated give the man a chance.  I wish 3/4 of you people talking could have seen what he did back in the late 70's early 80's, I did and that brought me back to Sunset knowing the place still has hope.
Thanks for posting Deb, it is nice to hear something positive from someone that is directly involved with the changes.
I don't think anybody is really getting opinionated about Wes, just a lot of speculation based on BS and rumours. Since the begining of this season there has been very little communication, rumours of divisions being moved to other nights or being done away with alltogether etc etc. and of course the Bryan Watt race director radio broadcast fueled the fire too lol.
I am glad for everybodys sake that you are on the case with the points etc. I am sure that is a huge relief for those chasing points this year.

Now can you shoot me the top 10's and their points so I can update them on my site? ;D   

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7705.msg45524#msg45524

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2008, 08:06:26 AM »

Offline Slammer

• Double Zero
  • Track Owner
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2008, 08:53:36 AM »
Heres something kinda cool that Wes stepped up and sponsored recently. As well as Sunsets own Stacey Clark

Quoted from the Barrie Examiner

Every now and then, you meet a kid who reaches into your chest, grabs your heart strings and gives them a good solid yank.
Sylvain-Nicholas LeVasseur-Portelance is one of those kids.
He looks like every other 11-year-old.
He's got the ruffled brown hair, the shaded Harry Potter glasses, jeans and a T-shirt.
He's slim, too slim, but a lot of kids are skinny.
And, like most kids, he's an avid gamer; his current favourite is the popular Need For Speed.
"In all the games I play, I really like to race cars," he said quietly, standing beside a real race car with a small smile tugging at his lips.

Now when playing the game, he can actually smell the oil, feel the throttle rev and lean into the turn as he did when his stock car hero, Stacey Clark, gave him a drive around the pits at Sunset Speedway, Wednesday.

The two met last year when Clark stopped at the SMA or Spinal Muscular Atrophy awareness booth on Canada Day.
Most folks walked by, but Clark, a father of three, paused a moment too long and had his heart strings strummed by the plucky l0-year-old.

Because LeVasseur-Portelance isn't just any kid.
He was raising funds for the Rebecca Run marathon that was held on July 9; his 11th birthday.

In fact, he raised so much money, the town of Bradford-West Gwillimbury gave him the first ever Youth Civic Award for raising $4,265 in 2007 and $1,800 the year before.

The run is named after Rebecca Grace van Fraassen who has SMA, and like most kids with the disease, is wheelchair bound and fights to have her muscles obey her brain.

LeVasseur-Portelance has fought that fight all his life, but his need for speed is to find a cure for the disease that is robbing him of the use of his legs.

Although little is known about the disease, SMA is the No. 1 genetic killer of children before their first birthday. SMA itself consists of a group of inherited diseases that destroy the nerves controlling voluntary movement such as crawling, walking, head and neck control and even swallowing.

More than 21,000 children worldwide are born with SMA each year and half of those diagnosed before the age of two usually die before their second birthday.

LeVasseur-Portelance's hoping to raise $10,000 in pledges this year.

Clark is part of the solution. Last year when he stopped at the SMA booth, he offered to pass some decals around.

"Then I just got carried away, I guess," he laughed unabashedly. He painted his car to let people know he was supporting LeVasseur-Portelance, then upped the ante and decided to give all his points earnings in the Road Runner series at Sunset Speedway to help fight SMA as well. (Depending on his standings at the end of the season, that could be about $600).

Then he got the idea to go out himself and get pledge sponsors and paint the hood of his car with their names.

A rugged, stocky man's man, Clark wears his heart on his sleeve.

"If you have kids of your own, you'd do anything for them. You meet this kid, you just gotta help. I checked out the website ( www.smacanada.com) and I just couldn't read it after a while, you know?"

Wes Good, new owner of Sunset Speedway, said as much himself when asked to sponsor the run.
"I know I can't help everyone who comes along, but we have to get behind this kid. He's worth it," Good said.
Good plans to sponsor an SMA Awareness night for LeVasseur-Portelance, running a 50/50 draw at the Innisfil track July 12, to raise funds for the would-be race car driver.

As LeVasseur-Portelance's mother Marie-Anne LeVasseur points out; one in 40 people carry the gene.
"Both his father and I have the gene," she said, allowing that the disease's roulette ball did not stop at her other three children.
Helping her son climb through the window of the stock car to sit in the driver's seat was too easy.
"He was 95-pounds last year when he walked the Rebecca Run, now he's down to 65-pounds," she said. "He'll have to do the race in the wheelchair this year, I think."
Yet, to see the broad grin as he goosed the gas pedal and envisioned putting the pedal to the metal on a real track, you just know he's going to be treating that wheelchair as his first set of wheels.

Good on yah Wes...
and Stacey Clark

Way to go guys..!!

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7705.msg45527#msg45527
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 09:01:05 AM by Slammer »

username

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2008, 09:25:26 AM »
deb...thanks for helping out at the track to fix things up.
don't take it personally when we say things or joke about the track....we don't think wes is a bad human being....we're just pissed at all of the things that have happened in the last year.  we paid a fee for registration and devoted our racing to sunset based on running in organized events in which we accumulate points that count toward a season championship.  running the races, keeping accurate track of our positions and points and making them available to us in a timely manner are what we pay for in our registration fees and gate fees.  also it would be nice for the drivers names, sponsor names and a picture of their CURRENT car to be on the website, not last years car with the wrong spelling of my sponsors name...
giving the winner of the kids bike races a trophy that says 3rd place has got to be the laziest, cheapest, careless thing i have ever seen....
if 4 fun is an introductory level of racing don't they want to try to start to learn how to set up a car to turn left and tinker to learn things? running backwards doesn't help anyone and it's dangerous and a sad attempt to fix a problem without investing time, money or thought, all the while jeopardizing the safety of the drivers which in this day and age is unacceptable after all of the fatal lessons we've learned over the years...how about pay a tech guy to be a strict SOB and the problem will be fixed in two weeks...NO POINTS,NO MONEY=legal cars.
TRY TO HAVE IT FIXED NEXT WEEK=free for all cheat fest
when things shape up around there i will be the first one to heap praise on sunset speedway...until then they have made their bed and it's just up to them to show us improvement and not talk about what happened 20 years ago...i want to see improvements to first the organization, the executing of the events, the communication with the teams and fans with weekly website updates and improvements to the facility and increased or different advertising...that will convince me that we are heading in the right direction.
sometimes if you weren't laughing, you'd be crying.  This is why we joke around about it and it sucks but it's deserved....thanks again for your help but it's time to walk the walk.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7705.msg45531#msg45531

Offline Wild Bill

• Pit Crew
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2008, 09:34:15 AM »
Kudos user.......  you put into words what a lot of us feel.
    Bill

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7705.msg45532#msg45532

Offline Slammer

• Double Zero
  • Track Owner
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2008, 10:03:44 AM »
Bill said
Kudos user.......  you put into words what a lot of us feel.
    Bill

He is a regular Rembrandt with the trackside verbiage....

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7705.msg45535#msg45535

Offline Junior

• Series Owner
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2008, 10:23:14 AM »
Good post user! Behind you 100% on that one!!

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7705.msg45537#msg45537

Offline Hardcore Racing

• Series Owner
    • http://www.sprintprinting.on.ca/jtracing
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2008, 10:24:55 AM »
and gets my vote for doing the track reports!!!

I first the motion do I hear a second?

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7705.msg45538#msg45538
Harold - JT Racing - #42 four cylinder
2004 Sunset Speedway Track Champion

Offline Lets Race

• Pit Crew
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2008, 10:44:41 AM »
Hey Deb, I too am glad to hear you are back!! We have a points discrepancy as well..I know the tower is a busy place on Saturday nights, when and where would be the best place to discuss this with you?

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7705.msg45544#msg45544

Offline Junior

• Series Owner
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2008, 10:59:45 AM »
if all the people are complaining so much about the way wes is operating the track then maybe they should step up to the plate and do a better job, maybe u people should approach wes with this option. If u people do not want to do this than maybe u should just race and have FUN! everybody was bitchin when nothing was being done about the cheating and now that something was done u people are still bitchin. Maybe Wes did some of these things to make a statement just like the drivers pulling off the track.
Already ran the track, family owned it for 18 years.....way more organized and way cleaner as well. Drivers got paid the proper amounts, staff was always paid, points were always correct, and the racing surface was always spotless for every saturday....unlike the mine field thats out there now!

One thing Wes could do to make a statement is show up to the drivers meeting and show the drivers that he is there to do good things and put this BS to rest! not hide up front! The Shakells were always at the drivers meetings, My dad always held the drivers meetings, Glenn was always there, and just look at other tracks....Kawartha, Lynch runs the meeting, Peterborough, J.P. runs the meeting, Varney, McClellan runs their meetings......see a pattern? all the drivers want is communication and Brian Watt had the perfect oppourtunity to make a big splash and deter some of the critics by answering Tom Walters question.......his response.......we will look into that? No Brian! drivers want answers, not the "we will look into that" response.

As fun or as ugly as drivers can get, all they want is communication and accountability, sometime they/ we might not like it but in the end they will respect you for making decisions, trust me, I have been called every name in the book by some drivers when I made the calls there, but in the end, I had respect no matter what was said......now its Wes's turn, and Brian has an uphill climb as well

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7705.msg45546#msg45546

Offline SSWebguy

• Track Owner
  • EX-Webguy :)
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2008, 11:33:13 AM »
Excellent posts by both username AND junior.  *thumbsup*

Hey JR, what was Tom's question?

Mark

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7705.msg45550#msg45550

Offline Amanda

• Series Owner
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2008, 11:41:29 AM »
I believe Tom was asking about why the race track hasn't been swept. He along with many other drivers have been coming in with flat tires. And I know Dave Burrows has to change his tires way more regularly now, then he did last year at Barrie.

...... correct me if I'm wrong but has the track been swept once since the Slaughter's owned it???? ..... I was there many times when Steve Sr. went up weekly to sweep the track.  I remember people complaining about it needed to be swept when Glenn owned the track... I was in the infield a couple weeks ago and the sweeper is still there! So why isn't it being used...?

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7705.msg45552#msg45552

Offline SSWebguy

• Track Owner
  • EX-Webguy :)
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2008, 11:47:46 AM »
Of course Glenn swept the track.  I do not know if/why the sweeper machine wasn't used (likely it wasn't working) but I know for a fact that it was swept by hand on Friday or Saturday morning.

Mark

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7705.msg45556#msg45556

Offline Amanda

• Series Owner
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2008, 11:56:12 AM »
By hand are you kidding? that would take forever....... every time I was there it still seemed dirty, maybe not as bad as it is now.. but Barrie wasn't like that.. maybe that has something to do with a new race surface?

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7705.msg45558#msg45558

HTML ezBlock

site
stats