Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: CAITLIN JOHNSTON COMPLETES FIRST NASCAR CANADIAN TIRE SERIES EVENT  (Read 909 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
 CAITLIN JOHNSTON COMPLETES FIRST NASCAR CANADIAN TIRE SERIES EVENT

June 13, 2010.  Twenty One year old Caitlin Johnston of Orangeville, Ontario made her stock car racing debut in the #01 Pizza Pizza Dodge this past weekend during round two of the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series at Mosport International Raceway.  With only limited track time to learn about a new car, new series and new competitors her results were remarkable.

Prior to the first practice session Caitlin had only sat in the car and never driven the 2,800 pound beast on a race track.  Even with cool and damp conditions she began improving her lap times significantly with each circuit.  “It’s a completely different feel and style of driving” said Johnston.  “With Formula cars they are very responsive to the slightest move, these cars react much differently”

“It’s a real challenge to learn and make the necessary adjustments, but I like the challenge” said the enthusiastic driver.  “I got down into the one minute thirty’s by the end of practice and with each lap felt more and more comfortable” said Johnston.  “We just want to keep improving”.

Caitlin would start her first event of the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series from the twenty fifth spot on the grid and even with some mechanical difficulties during the race would make significant strides forward.  “I just learned so much today” said the driver.  “I learned all about re-starts and full pit stops there was just so much to take in and it was a great experience.

During the mid point of the race the #01 Pizza Pizza Dodge was ordered by NASCAR to pit road as smoke was spotted coming from underneath the car.  Even that hiccup didn’t rattle Johnston.  The crew made the necessary repairs and returned her to fight where she would conclude the race in nineteenth spot, gaining six positions during the event.  “We had an excellent first day” said the driver.  “We achieved everything that we wanted to, go out and run really good consistent laps and finish, which is exactly what we did”

The #01Pizza Pizza Dodge was a joint venture of DJ Kennington’s DJK Racing and former NASCAR Canadian Tire Series competitor Derek Lynch and Johnston was very proud of the work the entire team did over the weekend.  “They are just awesome, all the guys are just awesome” she said enthusiastically.  “I can’t say enough about them, all pit stops were great and it was a very solid day”.

When asked about her next scheduled event as part of the Toronto Indy weekend Johnston summed it up very simply she “I can’t wait”!

The 2010 NASCAR Canadian Tire Series season consists of thirteen events from coast to coast All races will be televised on TSN.  You can learn more about Caitlin Johnston by clicking on her website, www.caitlinjohnston.com.  Also get more information about DJK racing on their website, www.djkracing.ca and find them on Facebook and Twitter.

Attached Photo:  Caitlin Johnston heading out on track at Mosport 

Photo Credit:  Todd Lewis 

Prepared by Todd Lewis & TL Sports & Entertainment, todd@tlsportsent.com (239) 961-2618

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=11533.msg82959#msg82959
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

HTML ezBlock

site
stats