Forum > Ask The Mods

Regarding our moderation policies

(1/3) > >>

Shadowracer:
OK. Let's talk about some stuff.

There's been some tensions boiling beneath the surface here and we don't want that. I just want to clarify a couple of things that might help understand how this works.

Firstly, that post about "settling it with fisticuffs" literally slipped past us. I missed it, Evan missed it, and no one reported it. I didn't find out till later that something like that had even been posted. And unfortunately that thread seemed to be the catalyst for a lot of the BS that is happening now. (and mostly contributed to this underlying feeling that the OSS has some sort of "protected" status that seems to have ticked everyone off.) And for that I personally apologize. We missed it.

Having said that, If you see something that goes that far out of line, please report it. By the time it was pointed out to me the post had already been edited. It may be hard to believe, but even those of us who spend a lot of time on the boards do not sit here like lifeguards on a beach waiting for someone to step out of line. If you hit the "report to moderator" button, it goes right to all the mod's email.

Here's our usual MO:

When something is reported, or if one of us catches something that's iffy, we go to the mod forum and post something like "hey I just got this/noticed this. What do you guys think?"

Then we bounce it off the CRO Code of conduct. If it's coming close to a violation, we'll do a red text post with a warning. If its an obvious violation (ie, anything that someone who read the CoC would know wasn't kosher, but did it anyway), we'll warn/mute/ban the offender. If we're too late, and the thread got out of hand, then we'll state the violation in red and then lock the thread, so its still there and folks will know what we were thinking. The thread would notmally be deleted a day or two later. (I personally prefer to leave locked threads up, but the other mods/admin apparently have different opinions on that.)

I want to strenuously protest the notion that "If you don't agree on certain points, then you will be moderated" feeling that seems to be running rampant here. Its just not true. But there IS a Code of Conduct here at CRO. Its here, its staying, get used to it. No one said you can't voice an opinion. We only ask that you think before you hit "post", be respectful about it, and don't make it personal. Its rule 1. Are we censoring ideas? No. Are we enforcing rules? Yes, but only if you're being a jerk.

If someone posts something you don't agree with, and you begin to attack the poster instead of the idea, then you will be moderated.

If you swear, you will be moderated. (if you're not sure about swearing...check George Carlin's 7 words you cant say on TV...it applies here.)

If you trash talk, you will be moderated. (trash talking is trash talking even if you're not swearing...we enforce the spirit of the rules as well as the letter of the rules.) 

We put that Code of Conduct up, and every single one of you agreed to it, or else you wouldn't be able to post here. So why complain when we enforce it?

Its all very simple.

This is an open forum that is visible to the world. We have standards we are trying to uphold. We are trying to make CRO a fun and informative place that people, tracks, fans, organizations and racers would like to participate in. (We'd love to see more fans. But the atmosphere here doesn't seem to allow for it) So, no...you CAN'T just say any old thing you like. It doesn't work that way.

We knew going in that guys would be resistant to the idea of moderation. So we're taking all this with a grain of salt. Growing pains happen.

But I'll make this deal with you: If anyone has a beef, or a question, then is the thread for it. Say what's on your mind. We won't moderate you unless you swear or attack anyone (mods included) personally.

Bear in mind though that if you say "The code of conduct sucks" or some such, we'll just ask why you agreed to it then.

So...if anyone has a question, fire away. I'll be on later to answer if I can.

But right now, I have a Christmas party to go to with a bunch of great friends that I'd have never known if it wasn't for CRO.

Talk to you soon,
Trev

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7069.msg37535#msg37535

hill3:
well put, i too missed the fisticuffs line, it was edited by the time a saw that thread. i personally think that some times certain posters are to defensive, the only time i felt i have had to step in is for language and character attacks. i will stand by my calls and also stand by the calls of the other mods. i also feel that if one posts on cro then one should be ready to have the ideas discussed but to go at someone over minor grammer errors is petty and looking for a fight. there are certain lines in the sand that do not need to be crossed and will not be crossed. anyone with a problem is more than welcome to pm or email myself the info is on my profile. for me it comes down to this treat other members like you want to be treated,do not say things on here that you would not say face to face, to hide behind a keyboard and a username and lobe balls of venom and hate is small and shows no character

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7069.msg37545#msg37545

slapdown:
Hill, if you are referring to my comments regarding the spelling errors and grammar, I take offense. I am far from petty. I have never attacked anyone regarding these mistakes on a regular post. I am sure I have made them. I do, however, feel that if you are putting out a press release for public consumption, it should be perfect, no mistakes. This CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is not only directed at the OSS, but any other series. I have read NCATS, Alstar, OSCAAR etc.. releases with the same problems.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7069.msg37548#msg37548

hill3:
i agree that true press releases should be professional, but to keelhaul someone for a grammer error is over the line. but notice i will say you have the right to your opinion wrt this matter. and no it was not aimed at you alone there were others also. last point i would bet dollars or to wooden nickels that dave receives little to no monies for his directorship in the oss, likely just saw a need and decided to help like so many do though out the community of motorsports. keep giving the volunteers flack and one day in the not to distant future we will have to pay these people and this will lead to a rise in cost of racing. cro is not demanded that everyone hold hands and sing kumbai just that we respect each other and give each other the space to make a spelling mistake or two or three. jmnsho

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7069.msg37549#msg37549

oldbill:
Speaking as one who has been moderated (warned) recently (as part of the fistcuffs thread)- what I wrote did not include swearing or threats or anything else. What I wrote was a statement of facts regarding the business activities of the individual who made the fisticuffs comment.
There is a pattern to the recent moderator activities, however, that bothers many of the members.
The OSS representative who posts here tends to make rather wild unsubstantiated comments (as Shadowracer himself said on another forum) and others call him out. This usually results in an exchange of comments that lead to insults and end with other people (but not the OSS rep) being moderated. This leads to a perception of favoritism.
If OSS or any other organization want to post press releases on a public forum, they open themselves to comments on their content and should make sure the content is accurate and factual.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7069.msg37552#msg37552

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version