Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Tempers flare at the Downs - August 7  (Read 5662 times)

Offline slapdown

• Series Owner
Tempers flare at the Downs - August 7
« on: August 07, 2010, 12:57:26 AM »
I didn't see a full moon at Kawartha tonight but some of the drivers must have.  It started off with Earl Ireland and Vic Parsons in the Late Model heats. Vic was passing Ireland going into three on the outside coming to the checkers. Ireland was having none of it and turfed Vic hard into the turn three wall. Ireland won but on his victory lap Vic pinned it and just missed hitting Earl. Vic was determined though and caught up to the 43 in turn four and drove over his right rear, launching Vic like a missile. Vic was done but Earl finished the night. The second incident was in the Thunder semi. Four cars started and 09 Dan Price and 47 Jim Calpham got together in two. I didn't see that incident but there was no caution and both continued. They met again a few laps later in turn four. I just caught the end of it but it looked to me like the 47 was under the 09 and tried to run up on him exiting 4. He was too far ahead of the 09 and hooked himself hard into the outside wall. Some others said that the 09 slowed to wait for him but maybe Dan can come on here and shed some unbiased light on the situation. LOL. The third incident which could be winner for MOVE of the YEAR involved inadvertantly 22 Glen Watson, 61 John Fletcher and 54 Mike Beyore  ??? . Watson got into Beyore entering three and Beyore did a masterful job of saving the car thru turn three and four but thinking it was Fletcher that tapped him stuffed the 61 of Fletcher into the turn three fence on the next lap. Fletcher exited his car and got some pretty good air off of Beyore's windshield. His helmet must have bounced 20 feet in the air. A very minor shoving match ensued in the pits. Incident four involved the Thunder of Norm Mayhew and 75 Dave Lynch ( track promotor Derek's dad ). Didn't see much of the race but did hear on the loud speaker that the two made contact in the race. When stopped on the backstretch after the race Lynch rubbed along the side of Mayhew. Mayhew waited for Lynch to move ahead abit and then promptly nailed hime in the door. The officials quickly raced over to the two cars so Lynch thought that was his chance to get by Mayhew into the pits. Wrong. Mayhew tagged him again turning him around and almost hitting both officials. Probably not a great thing to do. Wrecking the promotors dad and almost injuring two innocent officials. The final two incidents occured in the Late Model feature. The first one involved a big mess of cars on the back stretch. I was busy spotting trying to guide our car through the mess so really didn't see everything that happened. In the end the 77 of Tim Fernandez was backwards on the track with heavy rear damage. After the race Fernandez tried to throw a pop can through 27 Mike Wallaces window so I'll guess he was blaming him for the incident. By the way, the can missed. Very poor shot from just ten feet away. Fernandez then went down and the two had a yelling match with a few threats made. Derek was there to keep the peace. The other incident also involved Wallace and the 84J of Larry Jackson. The two made hard contact early in the race which I did not see. Jackson was later forced to go pitside and then returned well off the pace. The two made contact again late in the race with Jackson running up into Wallace. I don't really think it was an accident. Now to the racing. OSCAAR had four cautions, I think, for the 75 laps. The 77 of George Wilson lead early until the 7 of Derrick Tiemersma took the lead. He held the lead until the 70 of Hanley motored past. The top three of Hanley, Tiemersma and 9 of Brandon Watson ran in a tight three car bunch until the checkers. Watson seemed to be the quickest of the three but couldn't get past Tiemersma. Early leader Wilson may have been the quickest car at the end but was 8 laps down due to and earlier ignition issue. Point leader Glenn Watson was a DNF. Not sure of his problem. One of the better, more competitve races I've seen at the Downs for OSCAAR. The Late Model race saw alot of banging as 22 cars had only twenty laps to decide the winner. Former Alstar champ and Kawartha front runner Dave Morgan  passed the 20 of Dwight Brown late in the race to take a convincing win. I'd be guessing on any positions after that. Busy spotting. I'm pretty sure point favorites 11 Chris Morrow and 71 Dan McHattie were in the top five. The Thunder feature was won by 87 Willie Ryens which may have given him the point lead. The Ministock win went to the 2 of Too Moroney. Next week has a 100 lapper for the ACT Late Models. Another great night at Kawartha. Some great racing and a whole lot to talk about. Why can't we get more fans on a regular Friday night when OSCAAR isn't there?

OSCAAR on hand in no particular order. 70 Hanley, 7 Tiemersma, 9 Watson, 2 Owen, 62 Ritchie ( in back up car ), 83 Bourque, 21 Talons ( DNS ), 22 Watson, 54 Beyore, 48 Baker, 16 Bickle, 82 Tulipino, 77 Wilson, 61 Fletcher, 7T Dunford, 40P Gallant, 89 Spicer, 04 Oppersma, 27 Passer, 89 Chenoweth ( in his LM ). A few drivers that were there with no cars were Isaacs, Woolsey, Thompson and Stevenson. Thought there would be a few more out. 52 Gordon, 69 Bricknell, 39 Gowan or 91 King. Still a half decent field compared to their last two events though.

Late Models on hand in no particular order. 81 Mercer, 98 Graham, 71 McHattie, 43 Ireland, 1 Parsons, 84 Cronan, 84J Jackson, 27 Wallace, 16 Kimball, 77 Fernandez, 8 Sinopoli, 11 Morrow, 91 Beyore, 67 Bailey, 5 Moroney, 61 Watts, 46 Mowat, 24 Josiasse, 99 Burke, 14 Horner, 20 Brown, 10 Morgan

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=12016.msg85601#msg85601
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 01:20:06 AM by slapdown »

CanadianRacingOnline.com

Tempers flare at the Downs - August 7
« on: August 07, 2010, 12:57:26 AM »

Offline ladybugprincess88

• Series Owner
  • ~Sunset Informative Webmaster~
    • Sunset Informative
Re: Tempers flare at the Downs - August 7
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 01:48:55 AM »
Wow, sounds like it was quite a night. Thanks for the update! Can't wait to go to Kawartha now next week! :)

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=12016.msg85602#msg85602
**48** MOJO CREW **48**

http://sunsetinformative.webs.com

Offline Thayne

• Series Owner
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 01:58:20 AM »
got some of this on video....check later in the week...youtube...

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=12016.msg85603#msg85603

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 01:58:20 AM »

Offline bakstreethero

• Rookie Driver
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 02:21:22 AM »
It was a long time coming for the 47, I may have been the most popular guy in the thundercar pits tonight. If anybody has spent ant time at Kawartha the past 2 seasons knows it was LONG overdue alot of damage was at his hands to alot of cars.  Sucks it finaly had to come to this but some times there only one way to get the message threw. I did get parked for the rest of the night.

Dan Price

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=12016.msg85604#msg85604

Offline blkflagagain

• Fell short of the 20 race mark in 2009.. Quite sad indeed!!!
  • Series Owner
  • Good luck to all in 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 02:22:56 AM »
Was Morgan actually credited with the LM feature win?? I thought it was the other way around with Dwight nipping Dave at the line??? Either way great race between the two of them, very clean battle.. And I think it was McHattie 3rd, Morrow 4th, and Earl Ireland the rest of the top 5.. That Beyore deal was CRAZY.. Great save after Watson got into him but then to doink Fletcher for it ?? Does this dude not have someone on the radio tellin him that it was the 22 that got into him and not the 61??LOL

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=12016.msg85605#msg85605
Once a king always a king. Once a queen always a queen. Once a knight.......... never enough!!!

Offline 3-Wide

• Series Owner
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 10:22:59 AM »
Thanks for the updates...sounded like a wild night, can't believe I'v only been to KD ONCE this season..when just a couple years ago I never missed a night.  I will be able to go next week though  ;D

Any truth to the rumor about KD moving to Sunday afternoons in 2011?  or is it just that a "rumor"?

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=12016.msg85610#msg85610
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 10:27:09 AM by 3-Wide »
"RaceTracks are my 2nd Home"
"I'm a Short-Track junkie"

Wesley_Motorsports

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 10:25:39 AM »
I didn't see a full moon at Kawartha tonight but some of the drivers must have.  It started off with Earl Ireland and Vic Parsons in the Late Model heats. Vic was passing Ireland going into three on the outside coming to the checkers. Ireland was having none of it and turfed Vic hard into the turn three wall. Ireland won but on his victory lap Vic pinned it and just missed hitting Earl. Vic was determined though and caught up to the 43 in turn four and drove over his right rear, launching Vic like a missile. Vic was done but Earl finished the night. The second incident was in the Thunder semi. Four cars started and 09 Dan Price and 47 Jim Calpham got together in two. I didn't see that incident but there was no caution and both continued. They met again a few laps later in turn four. I just caught the end of it but it looked to me like the 47 was under the 09 and tried to run up on him exiting 4. He was too far ahead of the 09 and hooked himself hard into the outside wall. Some others said that the 09 slowed to wait for him but maybe Dan can come on here and shed some unbiased light on the situation. LOL. The third incident which could be winner for MOVE of the YEAR involved inadvertantly 22 Glen Watson, 61 John Fletcher and 54 Mike Beyore  ??? . Watson got into Beyore entering three and Beyore did a masterful job of saving the car thru turn three and four but thinking it was Fletcher that tapped him stuffed the 61 of Fletcher into the turn three fence on the next lap. Fletcher exited his car and got some pretty good air off of Beyore's windshield. His helmet must have bounced 20 feet in the air. A very minor shoving match ensued in the pits. Incident four involved the Thunder of Norm Mayhew and 75 Dave Lynch ( track promotor Derek's dad ). Didn't see much of the race but did hear on the loud speaker that the two made contact in the race. When stopped on the backstretch after the race Lynch rubbed along the side of Mayhew. Mayhew waited for Lynch to move ahead abit and then promptly nailed hime in the door. The officials quickly raced over to the two cars so Lynch thought that was his chance to get by Mayhew into the pits. Wrong. Mayhew tagged him again turning him around and almost hitting both officials. Probably not a great thing to do. Wrecking the promotors dad and almost injuring two innocent officials. The final two incidents occured in the Late Model feature. The first one involved a big mess of cars on the back stretch. I was busy spotting trying to guide our car through the mess so really didn't see everything that happened. In the end the 77 of Tim Fernandez was backwards on the track with heavy rear damage. After the race Fernandez tried to throw a pop can through 27 Mike Wallaces window so I'll guess he was blaming him for the incident. By the way, the can missed. Very poor shot from just ten feet away. Fernandez then went down and the two had a yelling match with a few threats made. Derek was there to keep the peace. The other incident also involved Wallace and the 84J of Larry Jackson. The two made hard contact early in the race which I did not see. Jackson was later forced to go pitside and then returned well off the pace. The two made contact again late in the race with Jackson running up into Wallace. I don't really think it was an accident. Now to the racing. OSCAAR had four cautions, I think, for the 75 laps. The 77 of George Wilson lead early until the 7 of Derrick Tiemersma took the lead. He held the lead until the 70 of Hanley motored past. The top three of Hanley, Tiemersma and 9 of Brandon Watson ran in a tight three car bunch until the checkers. Watson seemed to be the quickest of the three but couldn't get past Tiemersma. Early leader Wilson may have been the quickest car at the end but was 8 laps down due to and earlier ignition issue. Point leader Glenn Watson was a DNF. Not sure of his problem. One of the better, more competitve races I've seen at the Downs for OSCAAR. The Late Model race saw alot of banging as 22 cars had only twenty laps to decide the winner. Former Alstar champ and Kawartha front runner Dave Morgan  passed the 20 of Dwight Brown late in the race to take a convincing win. I'd be guessing on any positions after that. Busy spotting. I'm pretty sure point favorites 11 Chris Morrow and 71 Dan McHattie were in the top five. The Thunder feature was won by 87 Willie Ryens which may have given him the point lead. The Ministock win went to the 2 of Too Moroney. Next week has a 100 lapper for the ACT Late Models. Another great night at Kawartha. Some great racing and a whole lot to talk about. Why can't we get more fans on a regular Friday night when OSCAAR isn't there?

OSCAAR on hand in no particular order. 70 Hanley, 7 Tiemersma, 9 Watson, 2 Owen, 62 Ritchie ( in back up car ), 83 Bourque, 21 Talons ( DNS ), 22 Watson, 54 Beyore, 48 Baker, 16 Bickle, 82 Tulipino, 77 Wilson, 61 Fletcher, 7T Dunford, 40P Gallant, 89 Spicer, 04 Oppersma, 27 Passer, 89 Chenoweth ( in his LM ). A few drivers that were there with no cars were Isaacs, Woolsey, Thompson and Stevenson. Thought there would be a few more out. 52 Gordon, 69 Bricknell, 39 Gowan or 91 King. Still a half decent field compared to their last two events though.

Late Models on hand in no particular order. 81 Mercer, 98 Graham, 71 McHattie, 43 Ireland, 1 Parsons, 84 Cronan, 84J Jackson, 27 Wallace, 16 Kimball, 77 Fernandez, 8 Sinopoli, 11 Morrow, 91 Beyore, 67 Bailey, 5 Moroney, 61 Watts, 46 Mowat, 24 Josiasse, 99 Burke, 14 Horner, 20 Brown, 10 Morgan

Sounds like it was a great night of racing. As to why the crowds aren't bigger, several potential reasons that are my opinion.

Friday's are often difficult for many to get there after work. The jobs people have now often go past 5 PM quitting time. By the time someone does get home, quick chores about, gather up the family, etc, it's probably 8 ish or later before they get to the track. 7:00 to 7:30 starts are potentially an obstacle. Perhaps we should all vote for a law that says quitting time is 4:30 :)

Pushing back the start to 8 P.M. might help. But I know with the curfew and the way Derek runs the track, there's a discipline to the team there to make sure the show ends on time and without complaint from any neighbors. One way to ensure that is an earlier start time.

The racing that KD has, is first class, good car counts, high speed and there's always a thrill there to watch in all divisions. For those that have never been to Kawartha for Friday night racing, it truly is a EXCELLENT way to spend a night, especially for racing junkies. The teams are friendly (well okay, most of the time...) and Derek knows how to keep it competitive and action packed.

Harmonizing the LLM & LM's was the best move Derek has done so far. I'm sure he's got other ideas in the future too, never one to rest on his laurels to keep the track on an even keel.

There's going to be some ups and downs, but the track's performance over the past 4 years that I've been around the place, has seen improvement every season for drivers, staff and fans.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=12016.msg85611#msg85611

Offline GOFAST69

• Car Owner
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 11:48:54 AM »
Vic wrecked himself on the front of earls car. He simply wasnt clear and drove down into the corner and tried to chop him. It was pretty good to watch i was standing right there in turn 3 for all the action. It looked to me like watson hit the 54 not the 61 tough deal for flecther i was hoping he would run well. Great night of action.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=12016.msg85613#msg85613

Offline GOFAST69

• Car Owner
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 11:52:56 AM »
Dwight Brown won the lm race not Dave Morgan. Morgan was on his tial for most of the race but was unable to pass Brown for the win

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=12016.msg85614#msg85614

Offline Longtimefan

• Rookie Driver
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 02:31:11 PM »
I also believe Morrow finished third one spot ahead of McHattie and with Jackson having his DNF Chris maybe right back into the points lead and it's quite a battle for the top 3, unofficial of course. Thought there might be more Supers but it was fairly competitive, too bad as sometimes happens we lose quite a few before the race ends too.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=12016.msg85619#msg85619

Offline slapdown

• Series Owner
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 11:43:57 PM »
Sorry, wasn't watching the front of the pack and just heard in the pits that Dave had won.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=12016.msg85642#msg85642

Offline mike32

• Series Owner
  • Last of the Time Lords
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 06:52:40 PM »
I love the facility but for someone like me west of Toronto (in Burlington), it's a real chore getting through the Toronto gridlock on a Friday. The 407 is an issue as it's now approx $50.00 round trip for those folks who don't have a transponder. Perhaps the track should be advertised more to vacationers, something like Sauble does, and the track should work more with events like the Havelock Jamboree or Millbrook Fair, rather than shutting down for them. For all the tracks I've attended over the years, I think KD has the shortest schedule and really no allowances for raindates. Personally, I wish the ACT tour event was back on and better promoted. I find ACT always provides a good field, a quality field and parity amongst teams. I think sometimes (JMO) there is too much attention given to the Cdn Tire series which has not developed decent car counts for any of it's oval events in the last couple years.
 Sometimes I think the attendance problem can be attributed to having four tracks for Peterboro fans to invest their money in each weekend. Besides Mosport,  Peterborough, and KD, Brighton is only 1 & 1/4 hr drive.
 As far as Sundays, it might work. Humberstone seems to be running ok numbers wise on Sundays and it might be worth the experiment....................

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=12016.msg85714#msg85714
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 06:07:06 PM by mike32 »

Offline Racing Habits

• Series Owner
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 09:04:27 PM »
You are quite right about the Toronto bottleneck in Toronto on Fridays for anybody coming from the West you have to be through by 1PM to be on the safe side. You also have to have the ability to have your crew with the free time. Moving to a Sunday might be favourable if some demographics were done on 401 conditions for a 2PM Sunday start verses Friday traffic. The return trip might have cottagers on the way home  should also be taken into account.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=12016.msg85722#msg85722

Offline Racing Habits

• Series Owner
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 11:22:51 PM »
Just thought I might mention if anybody interested KD results for July 23.2010 are posted on the site now.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=12016.msg85733#msg85733

Offline Buford

• Car Owner
    • SJF motorsports
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 11:30:54 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/user/oscaarweb#p/u/3/kXxBm4nLGFM

Beyore said Fletcher drove up the track.... and wrecked himself  ... pretty sure you can see the 54 still turning left in the strait after the wreck..

No need to comment... video is worth a thousand words.... Until the race director or Starter has the balls to do anything this will happen every race like it has at every OSCAAR Race!

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=12016.msg85764#msg85764
Scott Fletcher
HYPE Energy-Fine Details #60

HTML ezBlock

site
stats