Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Andrew Hennessy Earns Driver of the Month For August With Trio Of Second-Place  (Read 1126 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
Andrew Hennessy Earns Driver of the Month For August With Trio Of Second-Place Finishes

By Clayton Johns

BRIGHTON, Ont. – August 31, 2016 – Andrew Hennessy may not have found victory lane during the month of August, but the Picton, Ont. driver was far and away the most consistent wheelman at Brighton Speedway. Hennessy earned three second-place finishes in his three Canadian Modified starts to become the top point-getter in August and earn Campbellford Chrysler Driver of the Month designation.

“We had all second-place finishes and they were all on the back bumper of somebody else. One little mistake (by the leaders) and I might have won the race,” Hennessy said. “I was trying everything I had each night.”

Hennessy is also the point leader in the Bainer’s OilGARD Canadian Modified division in his RJ Equipment Rentals/Ontario Trucking News sponsored No.87. He has had to come from the rear of the field to challenge for the win. His ability to do just that has Hennessy happy with both his driving performance and the car’s feel.

“We haven’t done anything to the car in about a month. I had a problem for a couple of weeks in a row in corners three and four,” he explained. “Now that we’ve got that again, I haven’t felt the need to make any major adjustments to it because we’re right there. I think the car is pretty much bang on.”

A rainout on August 13 helped Hennessy ensure the car maintained that level of performance. Between his own car, his step-son Tyson’s go-kart and driving a Late Model for Charlie Sandercock, Hennessy has had his hands full over the last three weeks.

“It gave my some extra time to go over my car because there were a couple of a nights where I wanted to go to the shop but didn’t have time,” Hennessy explained. “It gave me an extra week to go over everything and make sure it was still good to go.”

Hennessy has enjoyed the chance to return to Late Model action in a second Sandercock car over the last couple of weeks. He earned a third-place finish on August 20 before a spin last week while running fourth spoiled a top-five run. Jumping between the Late Model and Canadian Modified on race night has opened Hennessy’s eyes to the difference in the two cars.

“They are pretty similar suspension wise, but the reaction is so much quicker in the Late Model. Last Saturday night I ran the Late Model feature first and then got in my own car. It took me five or six laps to get used to driving the Modified. I was over-driving it. It’s just no quite as fast and it’s unbelievable the difference,” he said.

Two big weekends are up next for the Canadian Modified drivers with a doubleheader on tap as part of the Labour Day Classic Weekend, including Sunday’s topless race, before the prestigious 50-lap Danny Reid Memorial on September 10.

“I’m looking forward to the Danny Reid Memorial race coming up. I don’t see myself doing anything different to the car.  I think we have the car we want to win that race,” Hennessy said confidently.

Sunday’s topless race is a bit of a different challenge for the Canadian Modified drivers. Losing the roof of the car changes more than just the appearance, Hennessy said.

“It will change the handling of the car. When you take the roof off, people don’t realize how much aerodynamics plays in to it. The roof makes a big difference for down force,” he said. “When you take the roof off, all the air is hitting my spoiler, so it’s going to tighten the car up. Last year it made a pretty big difference on corner entry.”

Entering the final three points races of the season, Hennessy has taken the time to enjoy the dream season he is having. To date, he has recorded six wins and 15-straight top-5 finishes in his 15 starts this season.

“This is the kind of the season everybody always says they want to have. You have no bad luck and you finish every race in the top-five. Everybody shoots for that dream season and I think I’m having it now. I would just like to keep it going for the last four races,” Hennessy said.

There’s no reason to doubt the streak will continue.

About Campbellford Chrysler/JJ Stewart Motors: Campbellford Chrysler and JJ Stewart Motors have a strong and committed sales staff with many years of experience satisfying their customer’s needs. JJ Stewart Motors, located in Norwood, and Campbellford Chrysler, located on Hwy.30 just south of Campbellford, are among the top dealers for Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep in the area. The Brighton Speedway Dodge Ram pace truck is provided by Campbellford Chrysler. Receive a FREE family pass to regular Saturday night racing at Brighton Speedway when you test drive at Campbellford Chrysler. Visit them online at www.campbellfordchrysler.ca and www.jjstewart.ca.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=23301.msg115864#msg115864
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

HTML ezBlock

site
stats