Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: NASCAR MAKES BONEHEAD CALL ON GIBBONS  (Read 7132 times)

Offline DWfan4ever

• Series Owner
Re: NASCAR MAKES BONEHEAD CALL ON GIBBONS
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 10:40:53 AM »
Good to hear that they are considering action against them as they fully deserve the agreed money for sporting the Interstate colours.  And in fact have done a solid job of keeping the car in the field on a low budget compared to other teams in the series.

This Interstate deal is sounding like the Arctic Cat deal that Richard Deuravage ( i think that was his name) was supposed to have 3 years ago.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8669.msg56799#msg56799

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 10:40:53 AM »

Offline 22fan

• Rookie Driver
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 10:51:36 AM »
  Heck "Tow truck in a box" has not only jumped on board with Steckly this year but they have also moved sponsorship into the NASCAR Sprint Cup.  They must see some advantage to it. 

I was kind of surprised when Tow Truck in a Box jumped on as Scott's primary sponsor, because shortly before that Scott was in talks with a major retailer (Which shall remain un-named, for confidentiality reasons). 

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8669.msg56800#msg56800
BOYCOT ABC!

Offline B.A.R.

• Track Owner
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 03:10:43 PM »
Farmer - your closer to the truth then anyone that replied to your comments, but as far as the sponsors you used as examples, most of them left prior to NASCAR coming in and making it worse.

In defence of Farmer... Can you tell me one new sponsor that has come into the series and has paid more to a Team since the takeover from Cascar to Nascar??
By that I mean, a bigger amount of Money per year, not an answer like Tow truck in a Box for example.

If Nascar is such a big name, and people will throw money at you in racing because their name shows up in a series, then why isn't every car in the Field covered with sponsor's??

You say Dodge is the only manufacturer that backs the NASCAR CTS Dodge Teams...not anymore. As of 2009, Dodge is out, making that a reality that not one of the big three are supporting the racers, but in NASCAR's defence, they are only pulling out due to the lack of sales orders. At least that is what they will say on camera.

If you know what your talking about then let me ask you this.
Mick's is sponsored by Beyond Digital Imaging, who also sponsors the series.
Mick's gets about half of what they pay NASCAR.
You can see where Cary's money goes..into his race program, but even that amount is not enough to cover his costs.
Based on NASACR getting double what Cary gets, can anyone tell me where that money goes ?? When you buy decals, is Beyond Digital your first choice because of NASCAR ?

The Grab on Sponsorship dollars has gotten out of hand and it is 100% a struggle as a Race Team to try and compete with NASCAR on the same sponsorship program's.
If NASCAR Canada wanted this series to work up here then they would turn over their marketing sales to be focused on the teams, other then themselves.
Lets face it folks - without Race Cars NASCAR is nothing here but a name on a tee shirt.

When NASCAR came here, that was their commitment to everyone in the series.
Richard Buck Quote- " The name NASCAR will bring more money to this sport then what you guys will ever be able to handle"
Another- " We will have so many sponsors covering your fenders that you wont be able to see your car !!"
Richard Couglin Quote- (last year) " We are raising the purses for this year, but we don't want to raise them to much or it will spoil you guys"
Another- " Nascar is in the entertainment business. When the Green Flag drops we turn from focusing on the race, to making sure our product is orchestrated professionally in front of the fans. That is where we make money !!"

The Montreal Race was a joke for this series and they should consider not going there ever again as long as it is going to pay peanuts to race.
You have to move in 2 days early, you get nothing but abuse from Nascar Tech, and you get very little track time. All of that and you are treated like shit !!
For that matter, financially it would make the most sense for every team to NOT travel to BC, AB, PQ and NB. to race for peanuts...
Stay home Racers and take your car to an Enduro race...it pays better !!

I give NASCAR allot of credit for being the biggest, the strongest and the most productive.
I respect all of that as a Fan.
As a Racer, they flat out Suck and I am sorry if my words are a little harsh, but show me one good thing they have done since coming to Canada.
Don't say Canadian Tire...you can thank Peter Gibbons for that !!
Don't say Montreal Indy, because CASCAR ran there 2 years prior.
Don't say a better TV Package, because TSN cant hold a candle to Speed.
And please...please....don't say they brought any type of Sponsorship or recognition for the Teams...that would make me sick, as well everyone else that race's in that series !!

NASCAR is NASCAR.
Are they the best in Stock Car Racing and making money....Hell Ya !!
Are they the greatest amongst Race Fans...Hell Ya !!
Are they the answer to fixing racing in Canada...Hell NO !!

Never were, Never will be, and Never will try to be.     

All of my statements above are a reflection of how NASCAR has treated this most recent incident. Peter Gibbons is a model driver that has been in both series, CASCAR and NASCAR, and is retiring after the final race at Kawartha Speedway this weekend.
He has been successful at bringing Canadian Tire on board a Race Car, as wellas a Series, and deserves allot more recognition then being slapped in the face by the management of NASCAR.
To every fan that visits Kawartha this weekend, lets give Peter Gibbons a standing ovation in thanks, and take the time to stop down during the autograph session and say hello and thank you for so many years of watching him race.
As for Nascar, take the time to stop by every offical you see and greet them with this message.... kiss my red and white buttocks !!! 

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8669.msg56828#msg56828
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 03:16:46 PM by B.A.R. »

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 03:10:43 PM »

Offline LMFAN

• Series Owner
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 03:49:36 PM »
B.A.R
You are the man.
I love educated people talking passionately about something they care about.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8669.msg56835#msg56835

Offline B.A.R.

• Track Owner
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 05:11:31 PM »
LMFAN its so hard to talk about a Series and its Directors when you care so much for both to succeed.
I get wound up allot over NASCAR, and so I should, but sometimes I say things that are a little on the mean side.
Take Couglin for instance- I mean the guy is really trying..but he continues to walk himself into making bonehead moves. Call the guy a Rookie or what ever, but to put him in charge is not fare to the racers, or himself for that matter.

Its like Richard Petty is the best...but could he run a series ?? I just don't think so !!

Either way, I know I made the right call here with NASCAR and Gibbons and they just flat out screwed up big time. Unfortunately they are also a Sanctioning Body that will never admit guilt, so nothing will ever be fixed.
My opinion is - go ahead and piss in their Corn Flakes, call them what ever you want to, but the case in point is- Bad Call by the boys from the South, and ya'all need to check your attitudes at the door. 

Welcome to Canada...and we have linched people for less....

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8669.msg56841#msg56841

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 05:19:14 PM »
Sorry I have to agree with B.A.R. Nascar is company and they are in the business of making money and they do it well and there is nothing wrong with that.

There needs to be a new format to the series. I like the way it used to be east and west. Have a 4 race west & East Race to make an over all championship. Put more money into the series advertise it more to get more people in the seats why can't we have 10,000+ for each race.

Instead of us complaining we should maybe suggest things and maybe one of our ideas will be heard?

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8669.msg56842#msg56842
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

Offline B.A.R.

• Track Owner
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 08:04:04 PM »
Good point Evan except for one thing...The boys out West would never in a million years trust NASACR after the way they were treated on the take over.

Gibbons needs all he NASCAR Officials to barge into his trailer...Now that would be worth buying a ticket for - Front Row- Ring Side !! 

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8669.msg56856#msg56856

Offline longstreet

• Series Owner
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 09:07:57 PM »
Good point Evan except for one thing...The boys out West would never in a million years trust NASACR after the way they were treated on the take over.

Gibbons needs all he NASCAR Officials to barge into his trailer...Now that would be worth buying a ticket for - Front Row- Ring Side !! 
they might if nascar got known people from the west to run it

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8669.msg56886#msg56886
same as the old boss

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2008, 09:12:10 PM »
I used to love hearing about the racing out west and the bomber class. Pay 500 for a junker and race and many other great racing stories.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8669.msg56888#msg56888
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

Offline HUTTERPOWER

• Rookie Driver
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2008, 02:40:39 PM »
Nascar Medic. It is funny you say the pit road official was physically assaulted.  Talking to numerous Nascar Canadian Tire officials they tell me the pit road official was verbally abused not physically.  So if you are a Nascar Medic (which I think I know who you are) then there are untrue stories coming out of your camp.

It does state in the Nascar rule book that no verbal or physical abuse can happen to a Nascar official.  This is where the penalties come from.   

Some say they were there, some say they saw the incidents.  Yet there seems to be conficting stories to everyones version.  What is the truth?

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8669.msg57038#msg57038

Offline B.A.R.

• Track Owner
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2008, 03:18:03 PM »
Hutterpower... I never said physical abuse - I said verbal abuse...big difference.
I know who you are and you know who I am so I will talk to you at the track about it.

Either way you look at it... It was a bad call on NASCAR's part, regardless if some Official was told to Cram It. Trust me we would have much sooner had anyone of the Richards standing there, and we would have still said Cram It.
That call will go down in the record books as the most stupid, protecting, favouring a driver, fixing the show, and kissing someones ass ever in Canadian Stock Car history.

The only thing good that could come out of this is if Gibbons wins the last race, and I
am sure if NASCAR ever wanted to say were sorry, they could orchestrate the win.
I'm not saying NASCAR is fixed, but it can sure help sway the finishing order.

Its amazing how much we all used to get along when this deal was CASCAR.
Here is wishing some things never changed !!

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8669.msg57052#msg57052

Offline DWfan4ever

• Series Owner
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2008, 01:31:05 AM »
To B.A.R.

I'm still trying to figure out how you feel that using "Tow truck in a box" as a new sponsor is invalid??????????????  Were they in the series prior to NASCAR running the old CASCAR series, that would be a big NOPE!!!  Here's a couple more for you.  Ask Jason White if he would have been able to compete the full season on tour without the additional support he received from A & W.  He's already said that it was touch in go when I first talked to him at the opening event at Cayuga.  Ask Kerry Micks ( You know the guy you keep calling Cary) if he would have run the full season without the additional support of BDI this year.  You said you wanted a valid new sponsor that paid out more to a team since the change over.  That isn't possible since the economy is totally different and companies can not just throw money around in regards to sponsorship.  Plus no team announces the exact dollar amount they are receiving from a sponsor to the general public.  And in looking up the term "sponsorship" its defined as providing support in exchange for services.  Not the covering of all costs so that the winnings from an event are profit like you are making it out to be on here.  Each team that signs a sponsor to their car is getting funding in exchange for that company getting exposure in the market.  The company sponsoring a car is hoping that by paying the team to be on their car the team will be able to use that money to build a competitive car and have it run at the front so that everyone in attendance at a race will see their name and go out and buy that sponsors product. 

I'm so glad you brought up the issue of when I'm looking to buy decals do I think of BDI.  Until they signed on with Micks I had no idea they existed and my office is literally 5 blocks away from them in Markham.  And guess what I even went to them at Cayuga for the 2nd event to ask what products/services do they offer the general public and when I have my car redetailed there's an extremely good chance they will get my business.  Business which they would have never gotten until I saw them on a car in the series.  I've gone into Canadian Tire more this year in an effort to support the company hoping they see that the fans actually do care and want to support it and their company.

Do I like the fact that the teams aren't getting more support in the series through prize money and sponsorship funding?? Absolutely not, but that is also why I've made an attempt to contact companies to see if they would help sponsor teams in the series because I feel they deserve more support.  I've sent numerous emails to newspapers trying to get the series exposure.  I've emailed the NASCAR office in Canada suggesting a couple of things to try and make the series better for the fans which I did receive a reply that they would look into as they felt the ideas could work if done properly.

In the end I made comments to Farmer as they were blaming the situation on Richard Coughlin and using their definition of bringing sponsors to the series I gave my feedback with all valid points.  Obviously you and I will never agree so I'll leave this topic alone from now on as you feel you have more information then the rest of us.  We'll just have to wait and see how things unfold over the winter.  And in my opinion hopefully the series comes back with another strong showing again next year.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8669.msg57104#msg57104

Offline Dster

• Series Owner
    • http://
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2008, 02:02:57 PM »
>>>snip
...We'll just have to wait and see how things unfold over the winter.  And in my opinion hopefully the series comes back with another strong showing again next year.
a big +1!!
In my experience, those who come here and post definitive statements and make definitive claims are usually fairly full of definitive b.s. when time comes and goes and little or nothing of whatever they "...have on good authority..." comes to pass. My days of comment on this stuff aren't as common as they once were (along with so many other forum members) because my head got too sore from banging it against the wall in circular arguments, so that's all I have to say for now.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8669.msg57212#msg57212

Offline HUTTERPOWER

• Rookie Driver
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2008, 03:37:00 PM »
Bar my comment was not to you.  My comment was to Nascar Medic.  I know you said verbal.  He said physical.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8669.msg58023#msg58023

Offline B.A.R.

• Track Owner
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2008, 04:57:26 PM »
DW... If we are going to talk facts- then lets do it.

First Off- Having NASCAR as a title to the series has not helped teams find sponsorship.
If you know of a single one...please tell us.
I mean a Sponsor that has only signed on with a Team because of the NASCAR name.

Tow Truck In a Box is based out of California, and they approached NASCAR about some Advertising opportunitys.
Nascar then lined them up with TSN to run commercials, signed them into the series as an Award Sponsor, set up a marketing program for the Cup end of the business, then with what was left over directed them to Steckley for sponsorship, which became the first team to receive help with sponsorships from Nascar to this point.

BDI was around as a Sponsor back in the CASCAR days, the last year or two of Cascar to be exact.
Your point of NTN leaving was not due to Gibbons or Dilley, and you mentioned Kelly Williams which is all news to me, but NTN left to advertise more in the USA as the company was bought out by the Japanese, and they wanted the money used for marketing in the USA.

Blue Streak parked when Turner did...you did get that one right !

As for your statements like A&W with White, yes they are new to the series, but so is Jason, and that deal I am guessing was something that White setup himself out West.
I will guarantee you the money they give Jason is very slim into the comparison of sponsoring Race Events or Marketing in partnership with NASCAR.

I am not saying that NASCAR doesn't help as a brand, as they are the leader in Motorsports
around the world, but I will say they could do allot more to intice company's to become involved more with Teams as Sponsors.
When I make statements about NASCAR that you don't like to hear, you know- the ones that make the hair on the back of your neck stand up- thats good- because that's the intent.
Its called lets make some noise and see if things could be changed for the better.

We race in the NASCAR Series, so we know what goes on.
We know how tuff it really is on Racers, Family's and Sponsors.
We see things from a totally different perspective then you do.

NASCAR is as high as you can go with a series in Canada, and they deserve the right to be called the best in the Industry.
All I am saying is, in order for them to make a go of it here in Canada, they better start paying the folks that actually put the show on- Because without racers...there are no race's.

Nascar needs to form a Marketing Department that is solely dedicated to the Teams, and with their marketing power they should be able to find sponsors that want to be on cars.
To make it fare to everyone, the teams should bid on the sponsorship being offered and the lowest bidder gets the sponsor for one year. The money left over in the program should go to outside marketing, and of course Nascar should get their cut to cover expenses and profits.

Yea- your right...some days I love Nascar and the next day I don't, but at least I am being honest by voicing my opinion instead of hiding around trees and talking about them behind their back like most Teams in this series.
My theory's have always been be up front and tell it like it is, and at the end of the day you will get a true result.
It's not always good- But it's a result !!

If everyone would like- I will just shut up about this stuff entirely, and that might be the best option as most people read what I write, as trashing NASCAR, and I am really not.
I am only pointing out the faults to what was promised, and has never happened, and I could be totally wrong as one day maybe this deal will start top make sence.
For now, I will just stop writing my opinions on this subject, and let people think what they want to think. I will sit idle on this whole deal and whatever you want to think- Go ahead and think it !!
Happy...good I am happy to.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8669.msg58032#msg58032
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 05:10:37 PM by B.A.R. »

HTML ezBlock

site
stats