Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Shadow's report - APC/Canusa Labor Day 300  (Read 11799 times)

Offline Shadowracer

• Global Moderator
  • Series Owner
Shadow's report - APC/Canusa Labor Day 300
« on: September 03, 2006, 07:42:22 PM »
Just got in from the track. These were the place results. Final race was a wreckfest. I'll do the blow by blow a bit later in tonight. (Still have a headache from that last race!).

Time Trials - Top Qualifiers were all Delaware regulars
1st - Cole Pearn @ 18.704
2nd - Adam Quarrie @ 18.716
3rd - Doug Stewart @ 18.737
4th - Scott Lindsay @ 18.739
5th - Ron Sheridan @ 18.755

Race 1 - 100 Laps APC Friday Nite Late Model Championship Race.

Pearn and Quarrie start front row with Stewart and Lindsay right behind. Coming down to get the green flag, Quarrie bobbles on the frontstretch and falls back to fifth. Pearn jumps into the lead followed closely by Stewart and Sheridan. Lindsay is in 4th a few lengths back. On lap 6, 76-Jamie Cox and 86-Forth get together in turn 3 and the 76 car goes around. Quarrie shuffled back to 9th. Caution.

Restart. Now Pearn and Stewart begin to pull away as Sheridan and Lindsay battle for 3rd. Lindsay prevails and begins to reel in the two leaders. Meanwhile, there's an interesting battle for last place going on between between 25-Fletcher, 91-Brown, and 29-Barlass.

By lap 30, The leaders are lapping cars. Pearn is pulling away, and 10-Kennedy is in 5th, trying to stay with the leaders, but getting bogged down by this last-place battle. By lap 37, Quarrie, your 2nd fastest qualifier is fighting an ill handling car and gets lapped by Pearn..

By lap 40 the field is pretty well spread out, and the race is for 5th between Kennedy, Depuis, and 43-Doerr. Pearn is on rails. There was a moment when he got caught briefly behind lapped cars and Stewart almost got him, but Stewart couldn't stay there.

By lap 55, Lindsay brings it up to Stewart and manages to make the pass, setting Pearn in his sights. By lap 77, Lindsay has closed the gap a little bit, but can't seem to close it further. He seems to be as fast as Pearn, but can't get up to him. Meanwhile, Depuis, Kennedy and Doerr are still fighting for 5th when Pearn comes up behind them. Pearn manages to get by Doerr and Kennedy by the time the checkers fly. At the end, only the top 5 are on the lead lap.

Victory goes to Cole Pearn, 2nd to Scott Lindsay, 3rd to Doug Stewart, 4th to Ron Sheridan, 5th to Sean Depuis / for Kennington.

Pearn wins, but Lindsay is the 06' Champ.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Race 2 - 100 Laps - WWS Open

Race 2 was all the visiting WWS drivers and one-race-deal drivers. Here's who was there and the starting order.

7-Pete Vanderwyst, 34-Jamie Ramsay, 38-Kirk Hooker, 70-Jeff Hanley (saw the old man wrenching for him too), 36-Gary Elliott, 98-Mike Almand, 31-Stompin Tom Walters, 37-Dave Elliott, 30-Terry Jones, 2-Steve Book (Doug Stewart's backup car), 71-Brent Travis, 1-Vic Parsons, 35-Tolton, 74-Randy Casey, 8-Brendan Easey, 90-Scott Marvin (got in at the last minute, didn't time trial...looked like old CASCAR sportsman)

And the answer is no, Robblee didn't show.

At the green flag, Vanderwyst jumps out with Hooker and Hanley right behind. The three of them quickly begin to distance themselves. On lap 4, 90-Marvin blows a tire or something and goes sailing into the turn 1 wall. Kee-runch...thanks for coming out.

After the restart, Vanderwyst is pulling away with Hooker right on his bumper. Hooker's not waiting, putting the pressure on early. By lap 20 Vanderwyst has pulled away slightly, but by lap 35 Hooker is right up there again rapping on the 7 car's bumper. So now its Vanderwyst, Hooker, Hanley and Ramsay.

The four take off from the pack, and it goes like this until they begin to encounter lapped traffic. Vanderwyst is having trouble getting by 30-Jones, and after a couple of laps gives Jones the heave-ho, spinning him in turn 2. Hooker almost takes the lead then. Caution flies, then the black flag for Vanderwyst. Vanderwyst brings it in for a pit penalty and takes the opportunity to make adjustments. He restarts at the end of the line.

At the halfway mark, Hooker and Hanley are dueling, but Hooker just doesn't quite have enough for Hanley. Vanderwyst is blowing thru the field and is now up to 5th. Hanley finally makes the pass for 1st. By lap 90, Hanley is well in front, and Vanderwyst is back up to 3rd, right on Hooker's bumper. But the laps run out and that's how it ends.

1st to Jeff Hanley, 2nd to Kirk Hooker, 3rd to Pete Vanderwyst, 4th to Jamie Ramsay, 5th to Mike Almand

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Race 3 - 100 Lap Demo Derb..I mean, Race,   $10,000 to win.

So the formula here was that the Delaware guys started on the inside line in the order they finished in their race, and the visitors lined up the same on the ouside. So Pearn gets the pole, with Hanley beside, then Lindsay and Hooker, then Stewart and Vanderwyst, then Sheridan and Ramsay.

Coming around to get the green flag, Sheridan goes around in turn 4, and Fletcher, Parsons, Casey, Brown and Quarrie all scatter and bump trying to avoid. Caution. Once its all straightened out, Fletcher and Brown have lost a lot of fiberglass.

On the restart, Pearn gets out in front, followed by Hanley, then the first pack of Stewart, Lindsay and Hooker. Caution flies on lap 6 when Casey loops in turn 1. After green, they stay in the same order for a while, till one point when Stewart bops Lindsay and starts to fall way off the pace. By lap 20, Pearn, Hanley and Lindsay are on the run, and the second group is Depuis, Hooker, Vanderwyst, Kennedy and Doerr.

On lap 23 the ugliness starts. 37-Elliott goes around in turn 2. In the slowdown, Dowrr goes around in turn 4 and makes contact with 76-Cox. Cox has some damage, and now Sheridan's getting black flagged for something else. (I didn't see why) Thus begins a series of failed restarts. On the first one, Doerr, Dave Elliott, and Fletcher get stacked up in turn 4. Caution. On the second attempt, they come down to get the green flag and Stewart slows up on the frontstretch with a blown tire., and Tolton, Brown, Doerr, Book, Jones, Casey and Travis all crash into a pile right at the start/finish line. Red flag delay, as no one can get through the frontstretch for all the cars. (At this point, Brown's car is toast, and Tyler gets out of the car and heads up into the grandstand to go and glad-handle the folks in his VIP area.)
Third restart attempt, another turn 4 stack up, this time involving Forth and Almand. Almand has front end damage and is dripping fluid. Caution. (I think it was about this time they stopped counting caution laps.) On the 4th try, they finally get a lap in.

So now, under green, the order is Pearn, Hanley, Lindsay, Depuis, Vanderwyst, Kennedy and Ramsay. There's a good battle  between Kennedy and Vanderwyst, with Kennedy pulling ahead to take 5th. The race continues until lap 43 when Forth's car dies on the backstretch. Fletcher, who wins the award for most fiberglass lost, heads in again. (Fletcher's car, at this point, looks like someone took the body off his car, ran it through a shredder, then krazy-glued it back on the frame...kinda like chicken feathers)

At the restart, Vanderwyst manages to get past Kennedy again, then goes to work on Depuis, eventually passing him to take 4th. Hanley is beginning to look like he's got something for Pearn. Then on lap 56, more disaster. Doerr gets loose in turn 2, climbs Delaware hill, slams the wall hard, then comes across the track and slams the inside wall, also hard. Caught up in this is Gary Elliott. Both need to be towed in.

On the restart, Lindsay blows a tire on the frontstretch causing a bit of a slowdown, then Fantin, Stewart and Ramsay all spin around in turn 1. Caution and Red flag as medics attend to Fantin. (he was OK.)

Now its lap 60. Green. The order is Pearn, Hanley, Vanderwyst, Kennedy, Depuis and Hooker. Vanderwyst is putting the lean on Hanley. They continue until lap 64 and caution flies for Forth, who loops it in 3 and 4.

Another ugly restart. The first three are in single file, leaving Kennedy and Depuis lined up double with Kennedy on the outside. There's contact on the frontstretch and Kennedy rides the top of the wall for 50 feet, gets all 4 tires back on the track, then rides the wall again, eventually coming to a rest at the entrance to turn 1. (right in front of my seat) Kennedy's not too happy. Black flag for the 3 car, and finger wagging and fist shaking all around. Depuis was hopping mad about the black flag.

So, 30 to go, the restart comes and Pearn, Hanley, Vanderwyst and Hooker are running together. Vanderwyst is pushing Hanley hard. With 5 to go, he finally makes the pass, and thats how it ends.

1st to Pearn, 2nd to Vanderwyst, 3rd to Hanley, 4th to Hooker, 5th to Lindsay

Kendall Street Stock Final

Ok guys, now its getting late. So I'll spare the blow by blow on the Street Stocks. Suffice to say, It looked like a mostly clean race without major incident. Jeremy Ouelette was the class of the field. Manning and Morneau ran a close 2nd and 3rd, but actually didn't look like they had it for the 87 car today. Great battle for for 4th between Ramsay and Verberne. Congrats to Jeremy on a great race.
1st to 87-Oulette, 2nd to 28-Manning, 3rd to 98-Morneau, 4th to 88-Verberne, 5th to 42-Ramsay.

Congratulations to Ray Morneau and the 98 team on winning the 06 Kendall Street Stock Championship.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5434.msg19801#msg19801
CHECK OUT THE "SHADOW REPORT" GROUP ON FACEBOOK FOR LIVE RACE PICS AND UPDATES

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« on: September 03, 2006, 07:42:22 PM »

Offline Mobil1fan

• Series Owner
RE: Shadow
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 09:26:56 PM »
What sort of big WWS announcement took place?

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5434.msg19802#msg19802

Offline Shadowracer

• Global Moderator
  • Series Owner
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 09:50:57 PM »
Got me. I actually got down pitside for a while today, but didn't hear anything. Nothing was announced up top either.

I din't even know there was supposed to be an announcement.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5434.msg19803#msg19803

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 09:50:57 PM »

Offline John

• Series Owner
  • Delaware Speedway PR
    • http://www.delawarespeedway.com
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 10:30:46 PM »
To start off the multi-media of the race...  Here is a short video from the opening lap.  As Shadowracer would say "Kee-runch":

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5434.msg19804#msg19804

Offline Shadowracer

• Global Moderator
  • Series Owner
Re: RE: Shadow
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 11:28:22 PM »
Quote from: "Cascarjr52"
To start off the multi-media of the race...  Here is a short video from the opening lap.  As Shadowracer would say "Kee-runch":

Great vid! Shake and Bake baby!

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5434.msg19805#msg19805

Offline turn4fan

• Rookie Driver
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 11:46:38 PM »
Just a quick correction on shadows report.  Kennedy was line up on the inside on that restart.  Sean Dupuis was on the outside, and for what ever reason turned left into Kennedy, hooking him to the right and up the wall. I instantly lost all respect for Sean Dupius after that bonehead move.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5434.msg19806#msg19806

Offline Shadowracer

• Global Moderator
  • Series Owner
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 12:02:07 AM »
Ah, ok that makes sense. I only turned and saw at the moment Kennedy hit the wall. For a couple moments it looked like things were gonna get ugly in the pit area too. (Depuis was parked where you could see through the haulers) Good thing there was some officials there.

You know, I've always rooted for Kennedy. Its been my perception, for what its worth, that he's the sort of driver that'll knock you, but only if you knock him first. (I may be wrong, but thats how its always looked to me)

This year he seems to be wearing a "kick me" sign.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5434.msg19808#msg19808

Offline turn4fan

• Rookie Driver
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 12:14:24 AM »
Shadow, you are right.  For years Kennedy has been underfunded and using 6 week old tires while everybody else bolted on new rubber every week.  But they have a tire rule now, crate motors. and with all things being equal, Kennedy's underfunded operation has been equalized with everybody else.  But these high dollar teams arent used to being beat by the no money teams.  So whats the answer?  Knock em out of your way.  How many times have we seen it this year?  Today was another example.  Honestly,who hooks someone on the front straightaway?   Dupuis could have at least spun him out in the corners, instead he decided to littlerly take him out,  Putting every fan at risk, because that car was headed up to the grandstands before it got hooked up to the new gaurdrail that seperates the stairs and the track,  

That was an intentional hook, and should not be tolerated by any driver,team or race offical.   Spinning eachother out is different then an intentional move designed to destroy a car and risk a life.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5434.msg19809#msg19809

Offline Shadowracer

• Global Moderator
  • Series Owner
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 12:21:04 AM »
Quote from: "turn4fan"
Putting every fan at risk, because that car was headed up to the grandstands before it got hooked up to the new gaurdrail that seperates the stairs and the track,  

I'll go along with you there. They should save a video of that, then show it to those people that let their kids run around down there. As I said, he eventually came to a rest right in front of me, and I sit pretty far down the hill, so I had a front row seat.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5434.msg19810#msg19810

Racechaser

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 12:39:36 AM »

Offline Mobil1fan

• Series Owner

Offline Shadowracer

• Global Moderator
  • Series Owner
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 01:19:47 AM »
Quote from: "Racechaser"
Who won the trip to Vegas ?

Unofficially it was Jamie Cox, driving Hathaway's car. Hope they like each other enough to share a hotel room.

Sweet prize though.

Mobil1: can't help you there. All the pictures are in my head.  :shock:
 :P

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5434.msg19814#msg19814

Offline Shadowracer

• Global Moderator
  • Series Owner
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 11:15:54 AM »
Monday morning: Real disappointed in the London Free Press this morning. Not a peep about the race.

Remember when, the week before, they used to put out a whole section devoted to the event? And it wasn't unusual to see the victor on the front page of the paper on Monday morning.

:?

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5434.msg19822#msg19822

Offline turn4fan

• Rookie Driver
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2006, 11:16:26 AM »
I ve had about 16 hours to think about things.  I am still fuming over the Sean Dupuis and his hook on Jesse Kennedy.  I really like our regular Delaware drivers, and to me Dupuis showed little class and in my eyes, an intentional swipe at one of our regulars.  That was a dangerous move and could have been disterous had the new gate protector had not been installed.  Maybe I am wrong, but that kind of racing should not be tolerated.

16 Hours later....  I still think Dupuis should be suspended from competing at Delaware Speedway for a season or two.

Congratulations to Cole Pearn, Jeff Hanley, Jeremy Oullette, Todd Powell, and Dj Kennington for their wins. and to Scott Lindsay, Ray Morneau, and again to Todd Powell for thier championships.

Thanks to APC/Canusa for putting on a great weekend.  Great show, and 2007 should be even better.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5434.msg19823#msg19823

Offline Shadowracer

• Global Moderator
  • Series Owner
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2006, 11:40:28 AM »
Hey man, I feel your pain, but try not to take it to heart. Jesse's a big boy. And for the most part, Depuis is a good guy too.

Everybody has a brain-fart once in a while.

Admittedly, everyone around me kinda laughed when, in the post accident interview, Jesse lamented that 'he sure wish DJ woulda been here"

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5434.msg19825#msg19825

HTML ezBlock

site
stats