Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Fourth Win for McLean at Delaware  (Read 813 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
Fourth Win for McLean at Delaware
« on: August 10, 2012, 06:50:25 PM »
By Clayton Johns (@cjohnsmedia)

London, ON – He led just two laps of the 25-lap feature, but Gary Mclean (#8 McLean Industrial Design Chevrolet) made sure it was the two that mattered most to win at Delaware Speedway. The victory is McLean’s fourth OSCAAR Modified feature triumph of 2012. The Conn, ON driver used a late race caution to engineer a last lap pass of then race leader Justin Demelo (#82 EMCO Waterworks/CAT Toromont Chevrolet). 
After starting eighth, McLean maneuvered his way to the third spot in just four laps before sitting patiently behind Demelo and Barry Newman (#1 Vipond Fire Bortection/Blackmore Brick World Chevrolet) for another 18 laps before a lap 22 caution presented him his best opportunity. McLean restarted outside Demelo and was able to make the #8 stick to the high line, a rare feat at Delaware.

“It kinda worked out. Justin Demelo in the #82 treated us really good. The guy’s a great racer. He gave me a good lane on the outside,” said McLean.  “I just got a real lucky restart and made it stick long enough to get it done.”

McLean explained that he saved his tires for the duration of the event in hopes he would have a chance to compete for the win at the end. It looked as though all would be for not as Demelo had opened up a ten car length lead with five laps remaining, but the caution with 22 laps in the books changed the dynamic of the closing laps.

“The whole race when we put ourselves in a hole by having to start back quite a piece in the feature. With the way the tire rule is, you really have to be careful, manage your tires well. We saved them right until we got to the end,” explained McLean.  “We were so lucky. It worked out that we got a green-white-checkered at the last, and that’s where I’ve gotta go earn my money.”

The race would feature three caution periods, with the first occurring on lap six. Dean Scott (#19 Little Tracks Petting Zoo Chevrolet) brought his car to the main pits with what appeared to be a problem in the rear-end. Once the car was on pit road, fluid began to leak from the #19 which sent it sideways and blocking the entrance to pit road. The mechanical problems would end Scott’s night.

The field would sort itself out single file for 12 laps as the leader Demelo and Newman formed a two-car tandem to pull away from the rest of the pack. The pair would put Adam Adams (#51 Ridge Racing/Neabors Restaurant/Price Schonstrom Chevrolet) and Ted Patterson (#48 Patterson Racing Chevrolet) one lap off the pace on lap 17.

The second caution would come in turn two with 18 complete as a blown rad hose would cause Josh Gruntz (#31 Maple Key Landscape/SB Cleaning Service/Ultimate Car Care Chevrolet) to slip in water flowing from the Rookie driver’s car. Newman, who was about to lap Gruntz, slipped in the water as well and slowly hit the #31 nose-to-nose. The damage appeared insignificant from afar, but would end the Springfield, ON driver’s night and remove him from contention for the win.

The final caution of the night came four laps later after Demelo had pulled away from Gary McLean and third place runner Brent McLean (#7 Home Building Centre Bowmanville/Pro FX Signs Chevrolet). With 22 complete, Matt Barton (#2 MDB Racecars Chevrolet) and Brandon Crumbie (#72 Amsoil/California Dave’s Chevrolet) made contact after Barton got loose, sending both drivers towards the outside wall. The pair had been running just outside the top-five before the incident. Both cars would go off on the hook, with Crumbie getting the worst of the incident with a bent front clip. Barton said following the race he felt both drivers should be accountable for the incident.

“It was a racing deal for one. The car was loose getting in to the corner. I was loose, I was sideways, I was in the second groove and he didn’t give me any kind of a chance,” explained Barton of his point of view. “He would have had the momentum had he breathed the throttle and just let me catch it. He would have beat me to turn three.”

Barton escaped with what he considered minimal damage given the incident, as the team suffered only a cut tire, bent wheel, broken ball joint, and some minor body damage.

It was on the ensuing restart the Gary McLean made his move for the lead sticking to the outside of Demelo. McLean assumed the lead just prior to taking the white flag from starter Kyle Mackenzie. Although it was his fourth win of 2012, McLean indicated there was still room for improvement.

“I’d say it’s pretty good. I’m going to take that, but we’re going to keep trying to improve on it though. There’s six there and we’ve only won four of them, so that’s two that got away on us,” said McLean.
With the win, McLean’s long time crew chief Greg Gibson has now earned a feature victory as a crew chief at all paved oval tracks in the province of Ontario.

“Greg Gibson, the guy gives me a super piece every single week. This was the last track on his list of paved oval tracks in Ontario to win a feature at, and we got that done for him tonight. I’m pretty sure he’s happy,” explained McLean.
Brent McLean earned his fifth podium fini
sh of 2012 to continue the consistency of his modified sophomore year. McLean praised the dedication of his crew for the strong run at Delaware.

“This crew just works phenomenal on this car. It’s in the shop each and every week, tore down, put together. We tear it down at the racetrack if it’s not working, put it back together. We keep building, that’s what we have to do.”

The Conn, ON native also explained that he did not feel he was underpowered against some of the other built motors, even on the long straightaways of Delaware’s ½-mile.

“Everybody complains about these motors. The ‘builts’ may have more wins, but this crate engine’s been in the top-three numerous times trying to compete for that win. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the motors. I think they just need to stay the same,” explained McLean. “The short tracks, I think they shine. At Varney, they shine because it’s not power it’s all handling.”

The OSCAAR Modifieds are back in action next weekend at Varney Speedway for their first of two extra distance 50-lap features on the schedule, the Rick Woolner Memorial. The event commemorates the life and passing of the long-time Varney Speedway modified regular each year and will be held this season under OSCAAR sanctioning.

Complete Results
Delaware Speedway – August 4, 2012
Results: 25 Lap Feature
1. #8 Gary McLean; 2. #82 Justin Demelo; 3. #7 Brent McLean; 4. #1B Brad Pearsall; 5. #47 Brian McLean; 6. #14 Davey Terry; 7. #99x Tim Burke; 8. #77 Craig Stevenson; 9. #48 Ted Patterson; 10. #51 Adam Adams; 11. #2 Matt Barton (DNF – accident); 12. #72 Brandon Crumbie (DNF – accident); 13. #1 Barry Newman (DNF - accident); 14. #31 Josh Gruntz (DNF – radiator hose); 15. #19 Dean Scott (DNF – rear-end); 16. #79 John Harper (DNS – fire).

Heat Winners: #47 Brian McLean, #1 Barry Newman,

UNOFFICIAL Points Standings as of August 4, 2012 (Delaware Speedway)
1. #8 Gary McLean 413 Points; 2. #7 Brent McLean 387; 3. #99x Tim Burke (R) 351; 4. #14 Davey Terry (R) 349; 5. #72 Brandon Crumbie (R) 339; 6. #98 Steve Smith 317; 7. #51 Adam Adams 316; 8. #1B Brad Pearsall 283; 9. #31 Josh Gruntz (R) 281; 10. #82 Justin Demelo 261; 11. #47 Brian McLean 246; 12. #2 Matt Barton (R) 236; 13. #48 Ted Patterson 230; 14. #65 Bill Burrows 204; 15. #79 John Harper 183; 16. #64b Chris Burrows 157; 17. #19 Dean Scott 143; 18. #96k Monty Kelly 125; 19. #96 Larry Mackenzie (R)123; 20. #1 Barry Newman 123; 21. #46 Darren Kearnan 68; 22. #63 David Burrows 58; 23. #77 Craig Stevenson (R) 52; 24. #22 Rob Fennema 50; 25. #34 Joe Woods 48.

UNOFFICIAL Rookie-of-the-Year Standings
1. #14 Davey Terry 22 Points; 2. #72 Brandon Crumbie 20; 3. #99x Tim Burke 18; 4. #31 Josh Gruntz 12; 5. #2 Matt Barton 9; 6. #96 Larry Mackenzie 4; 7. #77 Craig Stevenson 3.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=16078.msg104023#msg104023
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« on: August 10, 2012, 06:50:25 PM »

HTML ezBlock

site
stats