Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Somethings Up!  (Read 15308 times)

The-fan

RE: delawaregirl
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2007, 08:25:40 AM »
I would like to wish both Kevin and Amy well in the future endevors and as shadowracer clearly states to speculate as to who or why is counter productive. I sincerley hope that the ownership team, whoever they may be have a clear and concise plan for not only the track, but also the racers , and many part time workers who over the years have given so much to the sport. Keep in mind , management, racers, and track workers all are partners, and if one person and or group fails in that partnerssip the sport suffers a devistating set back.

Shadowracer mentions of several capital projects that have begun, or at least were approved late last season. I seem to recall on this site a particular story about the capital projects being approved by the ownership group, and that a new lease had been signed in order to make these projects viable. I can't see a group extending the lease only to shut down the track and racing. I am equally sure that anyone with half a brain understands that in order to make a venture such as this profitable will take several years to build, and continually making management changes only delays the ultimate goal of sucess.

I wonder if either the owners and or race director has contacted the various teams to let them know what is happening. We can only assume and or speculate based on personal chat, a little goship, and what can be seen on the web page. I am sure that the race team at Delaware will inform the partners and sponsors of thier intentions long before anyone at the Nascar Canadain tire Series advises the general public of where and when thier races will be held. I would hazzard a guess that the car counts will increase, and the show will only get better because the track staff listens to the racers, and welcomes thier input. Look no further than the 07 rules when the web page not only requested, but asked for rules to be submitted from the racers. Rules that can make the sport affordable for many, and allow for close compitition.

I do believe in moving forward their will be a bump or two, but the track will open for practice, most of the same faces we see year to year will be at the gate and in the pits, and the racing program will only get better with the consistannt rules packages that have been on the web for months now.

If anyone wants to know what has happened, don't goship or spread any fictious rumours, pick up the phone and call the track once the office opens again in February. I am sure the management will be as honest as possible with out vioalating any agreements that were made with both Kevin and Amy. Retired speed racer made referance of being forced out, I am sure if either Amy or Kevin had left under duress or been forced out they would not have bothered to up date thier email and personal voice mail accounts at the track, and that any message left for the general public could have been made to make you think that they were asked to leave. I truly believe for whatever reason they both made a educated decision based on the information at that time. Hell maybe they both are going to run the show for Nascar???  

Call the local press and ask why none of our local papers covers this sport and the many families that provide us with such inexpensive entertainment on a weekly basis? Call the many teams on the web and offer some help? Get together with a group of neighbors and sponsor one of the weekly programs?? sponsor a car??? Collectively many people can turn this situation into a positive one for not only Delaware, but all racers and fans who have come to love stock car racing.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5781.msg22649#msg22649

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2007, 08:25:40 AM »

Offline Dster

• Series Owner
    • http://
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2007, 09:50:08 AM »
I'm sorry, but I have to suggest that, based on months and years of reading comments from a handful of self procaimed Delaware "homers" (and there's certainly nothing wrong with "promoting" your fav track),you are whistling "Dixie". I suspect the "new" management lost a bundle on the '06 season since their specials bombed and the crowds the track used to draw quite regularly failed to show up for most of the year. Do not ever forget that if you fail to draw an audience for whatever reason, the "theatre" WILL eventually suffer. Racing shares certain equations with the stage and the promoter and the performers are only part of it. They can have 40 racers every week (and that is NOT going  to happen EVER anywhere in this province), but if an audience doesn't come out then the sponsors (backers, producers or whatever term you like) will go away and everybody might as well go home too.
I have read all the, IMHO, misplaced recent optimism about Delaware, but it seems it has been going more downwards than any other direction since this ownership group took over. Don't blame the local media for a lack of support. That is a cop-out. If the media doesn't think the story is worth their copy space they do not bother, and that's the way their business works. They are not a free ad agency for speedways or anyone else. That also applies if they are not alerted. Does the track not have a budget for buying ads in print media or on broadcast outlets? I know the two tracks in my area certainly do.
I don't know what  the rumours are beyond what can be read here, but I put little if any stock in any of them based on recent history. The infrastructure of the property alone will take "gi-normous" amounts of money to bring it up to snuff. The entire speedway is in desparate need of rebulding, or at least race area itself sure is. They have the very significant infield drainage issues that will require major, and very expensive, work to remidiate. The racing surface is in dire need of replacement at great cost along with the notorious pit road wall etc., and that is long before you get to any power play issues that may be occurring behind the scenes, and it's pretty clear there is plenty of that  (sorry the-fan. I don't share your magnanimous attitude).
Again, I'm sorry if I sound like I'm sticking a hatpin in the balloons of some who hold the facility in such high esteem (although their passion is understandable based on the vaunted history of the track), but I think you could be in for some further discomforting developments that may disrupt the future (in completely general terms of course).
Having said all that, I'm not about to suggest there will not be a season in '07, but I have pretty much zero faith in the current management to accomplish much except perhaps further erosion of the facility. The undercurrent of unease that has been flowing in the course of events at Delaware over these last couple years has not been positive or encouraging inspite of the glowing reports from some quarters. However, it's really neither here or there for me. As I've said in the past, I am too far away for it to really make a difference to me, but I, and I'm sure many others, do observe from afar and this is my take. Hope I'm wrong, but as I was proven essentially correct on my thoughts of the outcomes of certain events in '06, namely the fact that their "big" show failed to draw a fraction of the audience LD @ Del has traditionally pulled in for one instance, I see little reason to be all that confidant of the future. This most recent news only adds to the sense that something is amiss. Good luck to all the fans and racers there at Delaware. I suspect you'll need it.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5781.msg22651#msg22651

Offline Shadowracer

• Global Moderator
  • Series Owner
Somethings Up!
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2007, 10:31:27 AM »
Actually Dster, you make some valid points. Let's just say that we all know its not all sunshine and roses. We're not stupid. Some of us just choose to focus on the positive when we're posting on message boards, because focusing on the negative is counterproductive and does no one any good.

So...thanks for that.

I hope you managed to get rid of whatever itch it was that needed scratching when you wrote that.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5781.msg22654#msg22654
CHECK OUT THE "SHADOW REPORT" GROUP ON FACEBOOK FOR LIVE RACE PICS AND UPDATES

CanadianRacingOnline.com

Somethings Up!
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2007, 10:31:27 AM »

Offline streetstocker33

• Series Owner
Somethings Up!
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2007, 11:16:35 AM »
o boy theres a lot of doom and gloom on here, hows everybody so sure kevin isn't there anymore? just because he's working at a local radio station on weekends doesn't mean everything's falling apart. A signifigant portion of the track is being repaved, who cares about the wall on pit lane? no classes running there use it much at all, just for line ups and the the odd ripping off of body panels, the REAL specials are back, and the new N(C)ASCAR deal hasn't shown up on the schedule yet, so it looks like everything is going fine. I've been to the alternatives here in Ontario, I'd say we're doing just fine  :wink:

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5781.msg22655#msg22655

The-fan

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2007, 11:36:42 AM »
Retired speed racer has said that both Kevin and Amy have left. Both of their voice mails at Delaware states they are "no longer available at this office" and the maim message board indicates the office os closed.

Maybe it is time for the promotor group to approach the owner of the speedway to make some significant improvements to the property, and for that invesment they will increase the rent, and maybe provide a piece of the gate.

There are some very good and valid points here..

Has the current management group and or oweners of the speedway ( not the property owner) ever asked the public for thier input?

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5781.msg22656#msg22656

Offline Shadowracer

• Global Moderator
  • Series Owner
Somethings Up!
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2007, 12:38:04 PM »
Quote from: "streetstocker33"
o boy theres a lot of doom and gloom on here, hows everybody so sure kevin isn't there anymore? just because he's working at a local radio station on weekends doesn't mean everything's falling apart. A signifigant portion of the track is being repaved, who cares about the wall on pit lane? no classes running there use it much at all, just for line ups and the the odd ripping off of body panels, the REAL specials are back, and the new N(C)ASCAR deal hasn't shown up on the schedule yet, so it looks like everything is going fine. I've been to the alternatives here in Ontario, I'd say we're doing just fine  :wink:

Yeah. You'd think the place is faling apart. Sure the track surface needs redone, but we're in good shape otherwise. The pit wall is only an issue for NASCAR. (and at this stage, who gives a rat's *** about them?) Drainage has been an issue since the 50s.

We're still the nicest track in the SW Ontario. And that's not all sunshine and roses...Its true.

And I haven't seen or heard anyone official chiming in to say Kevin's actually left yet, though it seems to look that way. The-fan seems to feel RetSpeedRacer's word is official, but at a post count of 5....eh. Did he have another handle before?

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5781.msg22658#msg22658

Offline John

• Series Owner
  • Delaware Speedway PR
    • http://www.delawarespeedway.com
Somethings Up!
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2007, 01:47:41 PM »
Hello,

Based on the information I have received I am able to let you all know that the speedway WILL open for the 2007 season just as it has for the last 55 years.

There have been some changes in the office.  The office is closed this week but is expected to reopen the week after.  If people have questions or concerns they are encouraged to call the track and leave a message or contact the speedway office after it reopens.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5781.msg22659#msg22659

Offline racewoman

• Series Owner
  • He has my whole heart
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2007, 04:03:22 PM »
Amy has been what has held Delaware together for a long time. If in deed she is gone Delaware has lost another great person

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5781.msg22662#msg22662
I will fix the coolant lines...you pick up the supper! Careful watching me cook may give you a heart attack ;)

Offline racewoman

• Series Owner
  • He has my whole heart
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2007, 04:29:43 PM »
Dster where have you been.....a lot of us have been missing your book writings. thought maybe you and Craig went on holidays for good. He is another one we haven't heard from in a long time.

Delaware Speedway has lost a lot of good staff over the years

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5781.msg22665#msg22665
I will fix the coolant lines...you pick up the supper! Careful watching me cook may give you a heart attack ;)

Offline Dster

• Series Owner
    • http://
Somethings Up!
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2007, 05:28:12 PM »
Quote from: "Shadowracer"
Actually Dster, you make some valid points. Let's just say that we all know its not all sunshine and roses. We're not stupid. Some of us just choose to focus on the positive when we're posting on message boards, because focusing on the negative is counterproductive and does no one any good.

So...thanks for that.

I hope you managed to get rid of whatever itch it was that needed scratching when you wrote that.

Yeah. The itch is assauged and I now fade back into the woodwork, for now anyway (sorry rw!). I never meant to suggest anyone was stupid either, but positive spinning only goes so far. The proof is in the pudding. As always, I'll wait and see.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5781.msg22666#msg22666

Offline Mobil1fan

• Series Owner
Re: RE: delawaregirl
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2007, 06:01:09 PM »
Quote from: "Dster"
I suspect the "new" management lost a bundle on the '06 season since their specials bombed and the crowds the track used to draw quite regularly failed to show up for most of the year. Do not ever forget that if you fail to draw an audience for whatever reason, the "theatre" WILL eventually suffer.

Which ones bombed? The stands were full for the Twin 75's and the 139-lapper, the Enduros had the same count in the stands and the weekly events had the same crowds as last year. The crowd was down for the Labour Day weekend event, but when you have bad weather all weekend (rain all day Saturday right up to showers Sunday morning) that'll happen. I'd be willing to bank that attendance was down across the board for that weekend.
I have read all the, IMHO, misplaced recent optimism about Delaware, but it seems it has been going more downwards than any other direction since this ownership group took over.

How so? Car counts across the board and attendance numbers are back to what they were pre-NDWS, and they've started on improvements to the speedway from what it was 7 years ago.
Don't blame the local media for a lack of support. That is a cop-out. If the media doesn't think the story is worth their copy space they do not bother, and that's the way their business works. They are not a free ad agency for speedways or anyone else. That also applies if they are not alerted. Does the track not have a budget for buying ads in print media or on broadcast outlets? I know the two tracks in my area certainly do.

The track does a lot of work with the radio stations in the area. However, both the NewPL and the LFP don't really talk about anything outside of London. Unless it's the London Knights or professional leagues they don't talk about it.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5781.msg22667#msg22667

DelawareGirl

RE: Re: RE: delawaregirl
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2007, 08:10:07 PM »
You guys need to calm down! Amy and Kevin's voicemail messages have been changed for how many days? Who's to say they aren't trying to make a point by both leaving at the same time? Sit tight- it's only January...alot can happen between now and April.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5781.msg22670#msg22670

Offline Shadowracer

• Global Moderator
  • Series Owner
RE: Re: RE: delawaregirl
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2007, 09:57:50 PM »
C'mon, a few of us are trying to keep an even keel here.  :)  Its the guys zipping in from the other forums, threadcrapping, then zipping back out again that are the problem.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5781.msg22675#msg22675

Offline racingwrench

• Series Owner
Somethings Up!
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2007, 10:09:24 PM »
Yeah it's still early, the ball may be rolling on improvements but until  it drops it can still be stopped so until something is dug or torn up it can be put on hold.
It is a very crucial time of year for someone doing amy's job and a strange time to quit or be released.
Where is Wilcox to keep the office open?
What good is calling to get info if no-one is there?
Lets just hope that info is soon to follow and is posted on the website.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5781.msg22676#msg22676

DelawareGirl

Somethings Up!
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2007, 10:18:56 PM »
It is a very crucial time of year for someone doing amy's job and a strange time to quit or be released.
Where is Wilcox to keep the office open?
What good is calling to get info if no-one is there?

I totally agree with you- it is a crucial time for no one to be doing Amy's job or Kevin's job. That being said, I think people should continue to call the office with any and all questions they have. The questions may not get answered but maybe the people who are still at the track will realize what they're in for. Can't hurt right?

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5781.msg22677#msg22677

HTML ezBlock

site
stats