Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Shadow Report - General Meeting - Cressman report added Feb 9  (Read 2724 times)

Offline Shadowracer

• Global Moderator
  • Series Owner
(OK, actually the news isn't that big)

Howdy all.

Ok, went to the meeting tonight and thought I would make a post for all those out in Delaware-land that didn't make it out. Please keep in mind that this is not a word-for-word account. All words are my own, paraphrasing what went on tonight. If anyone that was there notices something I got hugely wrong, please let me know and I'll fix it.

The evening started out with Jeff Wilcox introducing the "panel" which consisted of Delaware's 4 owners: John Sheppard, Arlen Scherba, Dave Meldrum and Dave McDonald.

John Sheppard addressed the group and asked the group to give a big hand to Jeff for a great job in holding down the fort during the last few weeks. A big hand was given. Way to go Jeff.

He (John) made it clear, in no uncertain terms, that things were set to go ahead for the year. Delaware's in pretty good shape. We lost some money due to bad weather and inability to make up the dates, but we've invested a lot of money in the past few years and are committed to making the track a success, both on the track and on the business end of things.

He went on to say that in any business, change happens, and that the business is bigger than any one man. He pointed out that so many here are long time competitors and will remember the faces of lots of people that used to be involved but have moved on without the track falling apart. Kevin and Amy are no exception.

Basically, Kevin and Amy did a great job and we love what they did, but their leaving doesn't mean the end of anything. The track will carry on without Kevin and Amy, and will probably outlive us all.

Thus far, there is no replacement general manager. We don't want to rush it, as we WANT to be picky about who we hire. (so, no battlefield promotions) We're looking at some people and would imagine an announcement in approximately 2-4 weeks.

John reiterated that "We're in it for the long haul"

Back to Jeff

Jeff mentioned a bit about how negative perception can feed and breed itself, particularly on the internet, and indeed there has been a bit of this as late. He mentioned Canadian Racing Online as being a relevant source of communication, and addressed and some of the negativity that's been going on here. He added, once again, for those that heven't been listening, that the season never was in jeopardy.

(editorial note - Had a face to face coversation with FromTheStands after the meeting and we thought it might be worth mentioning that any negativity that's come out here on CRO has, as a rule, not been from the actual Delaware community. Most of the negatives...which are actually few, have come from people who don't even come to the races here. So...kudos to the people who ARE a part of the community for keeping it real during a weird and uncertain time.)

At this point, Jeff opened the floor for questions, with the caveat that it would be closed if things got too personal or hostile. (A wise move)

The first statement came from a core LM driver (It feels wrong to name him here when I didn't ask if it was OK, so I won't) Basically he said that he'd been around to a lot of tracks over the years and from all he's seen, Kevin had the best way with the racers that he's ever seen in a promoter, and that Kevin and Amy did a helluva job. (spontaneous and genuine big round of applause here) He also went on to say, basically that Kevin showed his mettle best with the arrangements and speech he made the night they honored Dave Lawrence. He went on to ask if it were possible that they could repair the relationship and get Kevin and Amy back.

The response, and I believe it was John again, was that Kevin and Amy actually left on friendly terms, and that anything was possible...but it might not be likely. Kevin was the right man for the job at the time, he did the job admirably, but it was hinted that the track is now onto another phase and maybe it was someone else's time.

A question was put forth: Are the track repairs going to get done?

The answer, from Jeff, was that a complete 3d survey of the grounds was done back in the fall. A complete resurface is not in the cards for this year. (which we knew already) They recognize there are trouble spots on the speedway, and that they're shopping around for the right people/right price to get the repairs that need doing to smooth the track out.

Question: Is there a possibility we'll see a NASCAR CT Series race?
Answer: The door's always open. We put out an inquiry, but we haven't heard anything from NASCAR since they announced they bought CASCAR.

(editorial - Rumor mill says NO one knows what's going on there...even the people closest to it.) 

Jeff went on to say that, 2 years ago, when Delaware announced dropping the Super Series, they were offered a CASACR race at the 11th hour. (After the Del schedule had been released.) It was declined due to the fact it would have meant giving Delaware drivers the scheduling shaft, and they didn't want to do that. The focus among Delaware management is the guys in the weekly program, not the big 1-2 time a year events. That won't be changing. A NASCAR race is certainly do-able, and probably will be at some point, but not a the expense of the guys that race here every week.

Jeff also alluded that the LM program was getting better, and said there's actually some positives happening with the WWS, so the LM scene will be alive and kicking this year. He didn't elaborate though, and I didn't get a chance to ask him about it later.

He also mentioned that car counts are good and the SS ranks are seeing quite a bit of growth this year.

He also mentioned, for those that hadn't heard, that the deadline for the "back gate registration deal" (same price as last year?)  that was supposed to end on the 31st of January will be extended to Feb 16th.

They ended with a final reassurance that everything was good...we'll announce a new GM fairly soon etc etc.

And they closed by offering a huge round of applause for the continuing (since 1972!) support of the Spivaks, who were in attendance at the meeting. Hearty applause was given.

End of meeting

(Sorry Mobil1...didn't get any new LM scoops for ya.)

Shadow out

ADD ON

Delaware owners wave green flag

Fri, February 9, 2007

By JIM CRESSMAN, SUN MEDIA

The operators of Delaware Speedway gave their assurance last night the 2007 race season will go as scheduled and they plan to have new management in place in two to four weeks.

"We have absolutely no intention of closing Delaware Speedway," John Sheppard said during a public meeting at the Four Points Sheraton.

"The track has been around a long time and I'm certain we'll all be gone and it will still be there. Lots of people have helped Delaware Speedway grow and then moved on. We'll continue to provide the best racing experience in southern Ontario."

Sheppard of Scarborough, Arlen Scherba of Sombra, Dave McDonald of Freelton and Dave Meldrum of Stratford bought Delaware from Tony Novotny in November 2002 and were on hand to answer questions from anxious race teams after the sudden resignations last month of track general manager Kevin Bulmer and operations director Amy Dugas, saying they could no longer work with the owners.

The racing industry thrives on rumours and speculation and even after Scherba said in The Free Press last week there would be a season, the rumours continued to fly.

McDonald admitted "we have a business that's losing money, but we haven't taken a penny out of the track. Every penny of profit has gone back into the track."

McDonald and Sheppard had no background in racing when they bought into Delaware, which will celebrate its 56th season. It and Merrittville Speedway in Thorold (still a dirt racing surface) are the oldest stock car tracks in Canada.

"We've learned having a love of racing is not enough," Sheppard said. "You also have to have the financial skills to manage a race track and ownership is completely unified and totally dedicated to Delaware Speedway."

The track's asphalt surface needs major repairs and race director Jeff Wilcox said some will be done to turns 3 and 4 and the front straightaway.

A source said the International Super Modified Association, which came to Delaware last September for the first appearance by the super modifieds in more than 20 years, said it won't be back unless repairs are made. ISMA is on the schedule again for September.

Wilcox said repairs are necessary if Delaware expects to get a NASCAR Canadian Tire Series (formerly CASCAR Super Series) event in the future.

Defending late model champion Scott Lindsay of St. Marys said the turmoil came at the wrong time.

"We've all got a lot tied up in this and this time of the year everybody is sponsor-hunting. When there's uncertainty at the track, it's hard to put sponsors together. I hope this will put rumours to rest."

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5850.msg23133#msg23133
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 06:23:28 AM by Shadowracer »
CHECK OUT THE "SHADOW REPORT" GROUP ON FACEBOOK FOR LIVE RACE PICS AND UPDATES

CanadianRacingOnline.com

Offline DB1

• Contributing Members
  • Series Owner
  • Never too old for racin'
Re: Shadow Report - General Meeting - Cressman report added Feb 9
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 09:08:07 AM »
Hey Shadow, thanks for the update.Sure makes me feel better considering I've all ready prepaid for two reserved season passes. Amy still hadn't sent them out when she resigned. Once the season starts come over and say HI to this old guy in row 1 seat 1. I'd be happy to meet up with all from this board.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5850.msg23134#msg23134
Never too old for racin'

Offline Mobil1fan

• Series Owner
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 11:57:19 AM »
Well, that's good to hear. Now everyone's got the green light to get back to work on getting their 2007 programs ready to go and beyond, and 2 weeks isn't too bad to lose...

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5850.msg23136#msg23136
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 12:09:32 PM by Mobil1fan »

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 11:57:19 AM »

Offline streetstocker33

• Series Owner
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 09:42:51 AM »
Well, that's good to hear. Now everyone's got the green light to get back to work on getting their 2007 programs ready to go and beyond, and 2 weeks isn't too bad to lose...
I don't think any teams lost any time at all, the guys i talked to were going about business as usual. Most of us figured we'd be driving in the gate at Delaware in the spring.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5850.msg23155#msg23155

Offline racingwrench

• Series Owner
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 11:11:10 AM »
It was good to hear that the commitment is still in place but based on what I heard at the meeting they are leaving alot of decisions up to the yet to be hired GM which is good that they will have that kind of freedom but at the same time there will be a mountain of work and decisions for the GM to look after in a major time crunch.

Based on the answer to the track improvements question I think the Delaware date on the ISMA schedule will be removed.  I was told by an AVSS car owner with a fair amound of AVSS success that the AVSS date at Delaware is not concrete and is dependant on track condition.

Perhaps Shadow when you are talking to the people in the office you could possibly get a straight up answer on whether those improvements will be enough to get these dates for sure.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5850.msg23156#msg23156

Offline FromTheStands

• No Soup for You
  • Contributing Members
  • Series Owner
  • Wanna be Grand Poohba
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 01:31:58 PM »

Perhaps Shadow when you are talking to the people in the office you could possibly get a straight up answer on whether those improvements will be enough to get these dates for sure.

Hey Shadow, I didn't know you had the ear of the track office. I trust that during you conversations you have made the Mexicalli Shack your top priority.

I don't think any teams lost any time at all, the guys i talked to were going about business as usual. Most of us figured we'd be driving in the gate at Delaware in the spring.

Your right Jamie, we had the bolt cutters ready.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5850.msg23159#msg23159

Offline Shadowracer

• Global Moderator
  • Series Owner
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 02:45:12 AM »

Well the probelm is, a straight up answer can still change from time to time. They could say we're doing it "for sure" and then find out the next week that its not that simple. Its easy enough for us to sit here and armchair quarterback everything, but when you get down to where the rubber meets the road and actually see the dollar amounts that are involved, its not simple at all. Particularly for the guys who have to actually pay these thousands of dollars out.

One thing I can tell you for absolute certain, is that they know it needs to get done.

Besides, I'm not some kind of official envoy of the speedway. Just a nosy fan who enjoys rapping on the internet. I don't have any kind of inside source. Anything they tell me is the same stuff they'd tell you if you called them up on it and were friendly/civil with them.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5850.msg23176#msg23176

Offline Shadowracer

• Global Moderator
  • Series Owner
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 02:51:40 AM »
Hey Shadow, I didn't know you had the ear of the track office. I trust that during you conversations you have made the Mexicalli Shack your top priority.

Oh believe it. I'm all over the Mexicana thing when I'm yakking with those guys. I even wear my "Loyal Order of the Mexicana Shack" fez.
(you have to show them you're committed if you want them to take you seriously.)

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5850.msg23177#msg23177

HTML ezBlock

site
stats