Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: PATRICK DUSSAULT WINS IN SERIES DEBUT  (Read 1229 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
PATRICK DUSSAULT WINS IN SERIES DEBUT
« on: June 07, 2015, 01:26:55 AM »

www.formula1600.com

www.siteformulatour.com

For Immediate Release

Jazques Villeneuve Takes Formula Tour Master’s Honours

MONTREAL, QC (June 6, 2015) - Race 1 of the Formula 1600 Super Series at the Canadian Grand Prix was an impressive display of youth versus experience as Montreal’s Patrick Dussault battled hard with, and eventually triumphed over wily veterans Michel Bonnet and Didier Schraenen.

The sun was shining and the large crowds gathered as 38 cars took to the grid from all over North America.

Pole sitter Zacharie Robichon led the field to the green and held the position through the Senna curves. The rest of the top 6 shuffled as drivers jockeyed for position. Before the end of the first lap Robichon experienced an electrical issue and immediately started to drop down the order. Michael Adams was the big beneficiary as he had a great start from 4th and assumed the lead.

Robichon hit pit road on lap 2 and left the battle up front to Dussault and his teammate Jesse Lazare. It would not be long before Michel Bonnet and Didier Schraenen would join the fight up front and set the stage for an exhilarating race.

By lap 4 Bonnet had made his way around Lazare and Adams and had his sights on Dussault only to have the safety car deployed for the stricken car of Max Mallinen which needed to be removed from the side of the track.

At the restart Dussault held ground through the first few corners but Bonnet got position on him at the hairpin and made the pass stick, assuming the lead. There were intense battles throughout the field with Reid Arnold now on the gearbox of Jodoin for 6th and rookie Ben Hurst charging into the top 15.

With 10 minutes remaining Dussault retook the lead from Bonnet, Schraenen moved around Lazare for third and Michael Adams was in a solid 5th, nursing a car with some brake issues and sticking to his big picture strategy coming into the weekend.

On lap 9 there was a tremendous accident between Serge Lacroix and Craig Willis after the exit of the hairpin. Lacroix had run a little wide off of the corner and Willis had attempted to get position on him so he could drag race down the straightaway putting him on the inside for the next corner. As Lacroix came across onto the normal line the two tangled and crashed hard into the wall, Lacroix getting airborne and into the fence. It would end the day for both competitors with severe damage to both cars.

Lacroix was taken to hospital for observation but is fine. Willis was released immediately and with a long night of repairs ahead of him is expected to race Sunday morning. The damage to Lacroix’s car is too extensive to continue.

Dussault controlled the final few laps and would cross the line the winner ahead of Bonnet and Schraenen. It was a popular victory for hometown racer Dussault in front of an enthusiastic crowd, his family, friends and sponsors.

Jacques Villeneuve had an impressive drive in the Formula Tour Master’s Class. He ran in the top 15 all day, eventually finishing 11th overall and nabbing another win in his illustrious career.

Patrick Dussault – “I am more than happy with this victory. I was a little anxious on the grid before the start because I had not even driven this track in the dry and a lot of these guys up front have raced here before. I got a good start, was pushed out a little bit through the Senna curves which is normal but I just had to tell myself to stay cool and put my head down. Bonnet has a lot of experience and is very good with the draft. I think I had an advantage with the handling and was quicker through the chicanes and that was the difference. When we exited the hairpin the last time I knew I had it won and I was just screaming in the radio I was so happy. The competition is so good here. I race in Europe fulltime but people need to know this is a very tough series.

Michel Bonnet – “I got off to a very good start and in the early going was able to catch and battle with Dussault. He was driving very hard through the first part of the race and I think if we didn’t have the safety car period maybe I would have had a better car at the end. We raced very clean though and I am extremely happy with the podium position and am looking forward to doing it again tomorrow.”

Didier Schraenen – “I feel like the beginning of the race I was on fire. I got up into 2nd and was driving fairly conservatively, studying the leader. I had a very good car late and set the fastest lap of the race which has me starting on pole for tomorrow’s race. I feel we are capable of winning and will be a little more aggressive for the race tomorrow.”

Race 2 of the Formula 1600 Super Series will go green at 9am ET.

The starting grid for Race 2 was set by fastest lap times from Race 1. Didier Schraenen starts on pole with Olivier Bedard along side. Race winner Patrick Dussault will be on row 2 with Michel Bonnet. Super Series points leader Michael Adams is on the inside of row 3 with Duncan Murdoch. Row 4 is Jesse Lazare and Zacharie Robichon who managed to get his car running again to post his time. Row 5 is Reid Arnold and JP Jodoin. The rest of the grid can be viewed at formula1600.com

SERIES CONTACT:

Jason Sharpe, (416) 557-5451 or jasons@movemotorsports.com, Twitter: @jasonsharpe and

Marcel Lafontaine, (819) 350-9750 or marcel@siteformulatour1600.com

If photographs are required please contact Jason Sharpe (416) 557-5451 or jasons@movemotorsports.com

The Formula 1600 Super Series is the combined premiere events of the Toyo Tires F1600 Championship Series from Ontario and the Toyo Tires Formula Tour 1600 Series from Quebec.  The series is comprised of a four event, double-header format and competes at CTMP’s Victoria Day SpeedFest, Formula One Grand Prix of Montreal, The Bay of Quinte Grand Prix at Shannonville Motorsport Park and the Grand Prix of Trois Rivières.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=21134.msg113574#msg113574
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« on: June 07, 2015, 01:26:55 AM »

HTML ezBlock

site
stats