Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Andrett Autosport Fast Friday Report: 97th Indianapolis 500  (Read 898 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
For Immediate Release
(317) 872-2700 x 275
ryann.rigsby@andrettiautosport.com

IZOD IndyCar Series
Fast Friday Report: 97th Indianapolis 500

Michael i, team owner

"Well... I think we're in it, I think we're not as quick as we would like to be, but, because I think Will Power's gonna be the guy to beat without a tow. We still got a little bit of work to do and hopefully we'll be able to improve the cars that little bit that we need to get the pole tomorrow."

On predicted pole speed:

"I think it's gonna be around 229, I believe."

E.J. Viso, No. 5 Team Venezuela PDVSA CITGO Chevrolet

With a lap at a 229.537mph, the Venezuelan holds the fastest time of the month going into tomorrow's Pole Day qualifying. Viso also stands as the driver with the most laps recorded with a total of 403 laps in the six-day practice window.

"Today has been a pretty fun day trimming the car. I'm confident with the car - we've been developing all week long, and we are in a position now where we believe that we found all the mechanical grip we needed from the car. Now we can have a bit of liberty in trimming it out. That's what we did, and today was a pretty good day. We achieved a lap of almost 230mph average speed; that's something fantastic. Hopefully in qualifying we can go as fast."

On the Fast Nine:

"I understand that this is part of history and that it's an unique race and that everything is unique. It's part of the tradition and sticking with it, so far, it has been fun. I think because of procedure, it takes a little strategy play behind it... saving tires, saving miles or working with the miles. All these things always add another factor."

Marco Andretti, No. 25 RC Cola Chevrolet

Andretti finished second in the combined time charts after opening week of practice at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway . After trimming out the No. 25 RC Cola Chevy, the third-generation driver recorded his fastest lap of the month at 228.754 mph.

"I think we would have been over 230 (mph) if we had a full day (today's practice session was cut short by rain). Obviously, those were tow laps, but as a team I think we're quite comfortable with our speeds. Tomorrow is another day and it's just going to come down to having a good balance."

Carlos Muñoz, No. 26 Unistraw Chevrolet

Muñoz recorded the fastest rookie speed of the month so far after turning a lap at 228.52mph in the No. 26 Unistraw Chevrolet. Tomorrow will mark the Colombian's first Pole Day appearance.

" Today was a short day due to weather, but we wanted to get through our qualifying simulations during our afternoon run. We had to get through our runs pretty fast, but I'm really happy with how they went. I think we have a strong car going into qualifying tomorrow. The No. 26 Unistraw Chevy has been running well all week, so I'm looking forward to doing well. I'm really excited going into my first qualifying run for the Indy 500; it's a dream come true. Ever since I was small, I wanted to be in this race. I remember watching (Juan Pablo) Montoya win the Indianapolis 500 in 2000. This is a special race for me; I'm going to give everything I have tomorrow."

James Hinchcliffe, No. 27 GoDaddy Chevrolet

Hinchcliffe, who started on the front row for the 2012 Indy 500 , finished the week ranked 12th on the combined speed charts. Tomorrow's Pole Day will mark his third consecutive year qualifying for the famed 500-mile race.

"I think the weird thing about Indy is we have 10 times more practice time than anywhere else, yet you always wish you had a little bit more to make it that little bit better. I think it's just a function of a bunch of drivers and a bunch of engineers who are perfectionists and are always striving to make it a little better... but I think we can be pretty pleased with how things have gone. Obviously having team cars up there all but one day of practice bodes well. Qualifying is definitely gonna be tough. There's a lot of quick cars, you know, finding that right level of downforce that takes enough drag off but doesn't leave you sliding all over the place and scrubbing speed is gonna be key, and it would have been nice to have a run or two more to really nail that down. As  a team, I think we're confident and it's gonna be tough, because, like I said, there's a lot of fast cars that are gonna be going for that fast nine. H opefully we can get there, and get the GoDaddy car in a good position for the start of the race."

On the importance of the starting position versus the quality of the race car:

"It's Sunday that everybody cares about. Dario (Franchitti) proved last year that qualifying is not the be-and all-end - he qualified 17th; he even got hit in pit lane and fell right to the back, but he had a good race car and got his way back up to the front. So, it's definitely important to focus on the race car. What's so tricky about (IMS) is it's so sensitive to different weather conditions. So if you're working on your race car throughout the entire week, and you actually see a variety of different conditions, that's good. Whatever comes around on race day, you'll at least have a little bit of an understanding of what the car and track might do."

Ryan Hunter-Reay, No. 1 DHL Chevrolet   
This will be Hunter-Reay's sixth year competing in the Indianapolis 500, where he received Rookie of the Year honors in 2008. He started the 2012 running from the third position, this qualifying attempt marked his career best start at the 2.5-mile oval.

"We feel pretty good overall - still have some work to do, but hopefully the rain will hold off tomorrow and we'll get a shot at showing what we have. Andretti Autosport as a whole is competing for the front row again. But the race is really what counts, we need to be in the right position for the last 50 laps... and leading on (lap) 200."

On predicted pole speed:

"It's tough to say. Potentially... 228 (miles per hour)."

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=17517.msg107420#msg107420
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

HTML ezBlock

site
stats