Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Courtney Mastin Finds the Racer Within  (Read 668 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
Courtney Mastin Finds the Racer Within
« on: February 03, 2014, 02:31:26 PM »

By Jim Clarke, Clarke Motorsports Communications/First Draft Media

Developing new talent in the world of short track stock car racing can happen in a number of different ways.  With a basic skill set of her own and an experienced motorsports bloodline - including her cousin Emily Weedman and uncle Mike Freeman - combined with her very supportive parents, Courtney Mastin is turning heads at the local 3rd of a mile oval.

The 16 year-old 11th grade student at East Northumberland Secondary School is about to enter her 3rd season of competition in the Comp 4 (Mini Stock) division at Brighton Speedway.  After a 15th place point finish during the 2012 campaign, the Trenton, Ontario racer improved to 8th in the final 2013 standings.  Her father, Kevin says it's been fun to watch his daughter gain some extra experience with every lap she runs.

"From the grandstands, this sport looks easy and its only when you get behind the wheel that you actually understand how difficult it can be," said the young driver's Dad.  "The Comp 4 cars are as close to stock as they come.  The tires aren't very wide and they can be a handful, especially on a wet track.  Courtney went through the same trials and tribulations as any other driver during her rookie season, but after some coaching sessions with Dan Ferguson and watching videos of her racing, the driver who found it hard to finish on the same lap as the rest of the field is now close to contending for her first qualifying event win and from there, there's no telling what she can accomplish."

Like most short track racers, Courtney Mastin - who likes to unwind by experimenting in the kitchen - says her racing experience is complimented by the many friends she's made at the track. She says she's looking forward to moving into the top 5 in the point standings in the upcoming campaign and possibly posing for pictures in the winner's circle.

"I'm having fun and that's really what matters most," said Courtney.  "My biggest thrill is driving off the track after the checkered flag and knowing that whether it's been a good race or a bad one, my parents are still proud of what I've done.  My Dad spends all his spare time working on the car to make sure everything is ready and my Mom is my biggest supporter.  She's there every Saturday night and helps me deal with all the ups and downs of this unbelievable opportunity.  We're not racing for a million bucks and at this stage of my career, learning how to get the most out of the car and becoming a better driver is more important that trying to bang my way to the front of the field."

Mastin says she's thankful to have her father and mother help out on the car, along with crew member Troy Lemire.  The young driver - who has her long-term sights set on a career in nursing - also appreciates the support her sponsors Grosse Construction, DW Metal Expressions and Wilkinson Financial.

"2013 was a great," said Courtney Mastin, whose Honda carries #97, in honour of the year she was born.  "I won the best appearing car award, voted on by the other drivers and was named the most improved driver in the Comp 4 class.  I can't wait for the new season to be here."

Marketing partners interested in supporting Courtney Mastin's racing efforts for the 2014 season can contact the team, racing4life97@hotmail.com.

Photo attachments:

1). 16 year-old Courtney Mastin is looking forward to the 2014 race season at Brighton Speedway.

(Mastin family photo)

Prepared by:  Jim Clarke, Clarke Motorsports Communications/First Draft Media
                       clarkemotorsports@hotmail.com

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=18859.msg110343#msg110343
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« on: February 03, 2014, 02:31:26 PM »

HTML ezBlock

site
stats