Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: TOYO TIRES F1600 CHAMPIONSHIP HEADS TO SHANNONVILLE THIS WEEKEND  (Read 1516 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
For Immediate Release

TOYO TIRES F1600 CHAMPIONSHIP HEADS TO SHANNONVILLE THIS WEEKEND FOR INAUGURAL BAY OF QUINTE GRAND PRIX

Inaugural event plays host to Rounds 5 & 6 of series championship
and third weekend of F1600 Super Series

TORONTO, ON (July 15, 2015) – The Toyo Tires F1600 Championship heads to

Shannonville Motorsport Park this weekend, July 18 and 19, for the inaugural Bay of Quinte Grand Prix. Rounds 5 and 6 of the 2015 season will be contested in conjunction with the third of four weekends forming this year’s F1600 Super Series.

The Toyo Tires F1600 Championship battle for A Class honours is taking a fascinating turn as the season rounds its halfway point. Zacharie Robichon of Ottawa, Ontario, missed the opening weekend at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park but now has the 2015 title in his sights after earning three wins in a row in the past two race weekends. He holds 388 points to the 440 points earned by the current leader – his teammate at Brian Graham Racing, Reid Arnold of Keswick, Ontario – and the 412 points of second-place Andre du Preez of Minesing, Ontario.

“I'm really looking forward to being back at Shannonville,” Robichon says. “I haven't driven there in two years, but it was a track that I had a lot of fun at last time out. I couldn't be more excited to be racing again this weekend thanks to the Brian Graham Racing crew.”

Looking to throw a wrench into Robichon’s plan is Michael Adams of Courtice, Ontario, who returns to competition this weekend hoping to extend his points lead in the F1600 Super Series. His chances look even better this time around: with support from Canadian automotive event planning company Feldrives, Adams will be competing in a newer Mygale-Honda this weekend prepared by Britain West Motorsport. He currently holds 334 points in the Super Series over Arnold, who has 296 at the halfway point of Canada’s most prestigious Formula 1600 title.

“When we returned to F1600 racing this spring after a long hiatus, we proved ourselves by winning races right away,” Adams says. “We’re looking forward to seeing that success continue at Shannonville this weekend.”

In B class, points leader Connor Wagland retains a comfortable margin going into the weekend. But several of his competitors are looking to spoil his fun, including second-in-points Mike Lee, perennial challenger Amy Castell, and Craig Willis, who returns to the field for the first time since a devastating crash at the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal in early June required his family-run team to prepare their backup Aero 2 car.

“It'll be cool to run the other Aero,” Willis says. “It last raced in 2004 when James Hinchcliffe drove it, which is something special. Shannonville has always been a great track for me – in 2013 I had two wins and broke the track record in F1600B – so I'm looking forward to doing well and taking part in some great racing.”

The Bay of Quinte Grand Prix, the first motorsport event of its kind in the Belleville region, is set to play host to the Toyo Tires F1600 Championship and its sister series, the F2000 Canada Championship, as well as six more competition classes – including a full field of vintage cars – surrounded by a weekend-long festival atmosphere.

“It’s very exciting to be so close to opening day for the first-ever Bay of Quinte Grand Prix,” says Jason Sharpe, promoter of the event and of the Toyo Tires F1600 Championship. “Thanks to the excellent support of the Bay of Quinte Region and businesses in the area, we’re very confident this will be a successful event right from the first green flag.”

Tickets are still available for the event at a cost of $20 for a single day or $30 for two-day admission. Further details and purchase information can be found at bayofquintegp.com.

SERIES CONTACT: Jason Sharpe, (416) 557-5451 or jasons@movemotorsports.com, Twitter: @jasonsharpe

If photographs are required please contact Jason Sharpe (416) 557-5451 or jasons@movemotorsports.com

Photo by Michael Haley

The Toyo Tires F1600 Championship Series is the premiere open wheel series in Ontario, sanctioned by CASC Ontario Region and proudly supported by Toyo Tires, Honda HPD, Heather’s Heros, Cove Dentistry, Stäubli, Lincoln Electric and MK Technologies. The series is comprised of a six event, double-header format and competes at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park, Shannonville Motorsport Park and Calabogie Motorsports Park.

The Formula 1600 Super Series is the combined premiere events of the Toyo Tires F1600 Championship Series from Ontario and the Toyo Tires Formula Tour 1600 Series from Quebec.  The series is comprised of a four event, double-header format and competes at CTMP’s Victoria Day SpeedFest, Formula One Grand Prix of Montreal, the Bay of Quinte Grand Prix, and the Grand Prix of Trois Rivières.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=21511.msg114010#msg114010
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

HTML ezBlock

site
stats