Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Good times at delaware.  (Read 3696 times)

Offline BornAgainFan

• Pit Crew
Good times at delaware.
« on: August 11, 2009, 08:06:23 AM »
What I hope to have happen hear is a chance to read some feel good stories about racing and fans alike @ Delaware speedway. Let us hear your stories and experiences, all positive please.

As a Christian we decided that we would name our car accordingly and we posted on the back end of the car RACE THE GOOD RACE. As a rookie driver perhaps my son and I should have done it on the front and in reverse so the cars ahead could read it.

Born Again a chaos car made it'd first appearance on Friday July 31st. Cameron Leeson piloted the car for 4.5 laps before an unfortunate end. During an impact on turn four his ECM was knocked off and the car wouldn't run. We had to push the car back onto the car hauler and head home.

We were very impressed with the family like atmosphere we encountered. The #3 car crew helped us make the final welds needed to get the car ready. And I would also like to thank the people who helped push the Born Again car back to To trailer.

All in all we had a greater time and when we get the car back together we will definitely be back. What A BLAST.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=10313.msg71588#msg71588

CanadianRacingOnline.com

Good times at delaware.
« on: August 11, 2009, 08:06:23 AM »

Offline Shadowracer

• Global Moderator
  • Series Owner
Re: Good times at delaware.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 08:55:46 AM »
This sounds like an awesome thread to start. Feel good stories I have a pretty large supply of. Stay tuned.

An just to add something else...if you don't have a full blown story to tell, then why not thank someone for something?

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=10313.msg71591#msg71591
CHECK OUT THE "SHADOW REPORT" GROUP ON FACEBOOK FOR LIVE RACE PICS AND UPDATES

Offline Shadowracer

• Global Moderator
  • Series Owner
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 10:24:09 AM »
My story really involves a lot of people here. The events here are what, to my mind, solidified the CRO/Delaware crowd as a bona fide community of people.

I believe as a community that our finest hour was a couple of years back when Racewoman's son Matt was hurt very badly in a car accident coming home from the races in Ohsweken. Racewoman is Teresa Castelain who hasn't posted much here lately but used to be quite an avid poster here.

Matt was hurt VERY badly, suffering multiple broken bones, and serious head trauma that incurring a couple of strokes as well if I recall.

Anyway, after a few days and we realized this was serious business, the CRO community started a fundraising effort. In the week preceding the APC 300 weekend. As far as we knew, Teri and co didn't have much in the way of coverage, and some of us older types knew that precrips don't come cheap, so tha fundraising was being pushed pretty hard here.

As a last minute add, we decided to do what we could to raise some money over the weekend at Delaware and Cayuga. Delaware allowed us to do it with the understanding that we were on our own to get the word out...that it was a CRO thing and not a Delaware thing.

So a few of us got together. I was running things up top and the 3 Super Stock team was runinng the show in the pits. Between us all, we came up with just over 300 bucks to add to what CRO had raised thru auctions etc. We figured it was pretty good considering we did it thru work of mouth only, and with only about 5 days prep if I recall. I don't know what the ultimate total was, but it was awesome considering that most of us don't know one another face to face, and we got it all out to Teri to start a trust fund.

We haven't heard much out of Teri in the last little while, but we understand Matt's gotten better. We haven't heard any bad news anyway.  

The telling moment for me during all this, and that makes all this internet chitchat seem worthwhile, was the Sat night before Delaware's APC300 and I was in Cayuga for the NCATS race. I'd known I needed to be identifiable to help with the collection, so I'd made a t-shirt with "Shadowracer" across the back. After a thriller of a show, this old guy came up to me, looking like he didn't have two pennies to rub together, and shyly held out a crumpled up 10 dollar bill and said it was for Racewoman.  This collection hadn't even been announced at Cayuga...yet here was this guy I didn't even know, 100 miles from my home and, he didn't know me from Adam, but he was handing over his hard earned money to help a fellow race fan.

That was a pretty fine moment for us as a community.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=10313.msg71593#msg71593
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 11:06:41 PM by Shadowracer »
CHECK OUT THE "SHADOW REPORT" GROUP ON FACEBOOK FOR LIVE RACE PICS AND UPDATES

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 10:24:09 AM »

Offline smithbarney

• Series Owner
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 03:38:50 PM »
Any race day where the sun is out, no work commitments, and the pits are full......

What more could one ask for?

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=10313.msg71609#msg71609

Offline shifty333

• Team Owner

Offline charger

• crum-b racings other car
  • Series Owner
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 04:30:55 PM »
Hold On Not Done Accelerating
winning isn't everything but losing sucks!!!!

Offline crazylady

• Team Owner
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 09:38:12 PM »
From our beginning days in the Delaware Junior Program, we were very new to racing and Delaware Speedway.   Although we lived in London, I knew nothing about the Speedway.  When our little guy (now not so little now) got hooked on racing while watching a NASCAR race when he was 4 years old, we began to look at Delaware and then started racing there when he was 8 years old.  Some of our best friends today are a result of starting in that program and we will have these friends for life.  The comraderie and helpfulness that occurred between teams was phenomenal and it was all to make the kids feel as successful as possible.  The friendships extended beyond this program into the adult racing divisions and NCTS division as well as the regular group of fans in the stands.  We comment regularly on how many great people there are in racing and how fortunate we are to have met them and that we can call them our friends.

Sure, the racing is great, but the relationships are what make it truly memorable. 

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=10313.msg71622#msg71622

Offline Dougy109

• Series Owner
  • Known by my brothers as 'Bones"
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 10:55:02 PM »
Our racing started as a complete joke. I ran a 77 Dodge Monaco my first race, with a 318 MonoJet. Lap belts, and barely a lawn chair for a seat. Snow tires, single exhaust, and it never went over 45 MPH. After the car blew a head gasket, and 4 laps in, I returned 5 years later. I will say, I returned as crew though for four cars. The 54 (Scott Hyatt) 27 of Mike Watson (London Fire Equipment), Rambo's Cutlass (Rick Doran), and the 37 car of Jim (I forget his last name). We had a ton of top 5's, but always seemed to miss that win. I moved out of crew for a while, to pursue circuit racing (MOSPORT), and had a marvelous time. Only problem was, traveling to Toronto, Mid-Ohio, Indy cost me WAYYYYY too much, and I was seriously outmatched. I went to say 'Hi' to Mike, and bought a Buick Regal from his back yard. It was already built, except for seat, and engine.

I had two top tens in this car, and still had a blast. Then a felt an itch, and built a Cutlass from scratch. This one worked really well, but had no backing. Then.... divorce, this shattered my will to race not to mention my nubs were firmly on my X's mantle.  After paying off all that, and getting clear sailing (in real life), I built my new chassis. I slapped my old number on it, for shoots&giggles. I have always had a great time at Delaware, even spectating. Learned, helped and crewed for lots of teams, styles and classes. I cannot say there is one time at Delaware, when I didn't have fun.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=10313.msg71626#msg71626
Not an expert, just tried it, refused to listen to conventional thinking, broke all the parts trying

Offline BornAgainFan

• Pit Crew
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 07:30:45 AM »
To crazylady and dougy  those stories are great this is what i had hoped for. Shadow maybe this will help with your shadow reports as well. Keep the stories coming people. I know they are out there and I would love to hear them all. This is what makes Delaware the finest half mile north of the borded. Ain't it great what can happen when the Mounties go away and the Igloo's melt, lets not tell those American's what a great counrty this is they might want to come for a visit.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=10313.msg71632#msg71632

Offline BornAgainFan

• Pit Crew
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 08:26:12 PM »
 Any one who might be interested in chaos car racing I have a line on a great car. 1992 Handa accord 4 door rune great. Can't pass Etest but stiil runs great guy wants $400.00 thats cheap body is in good condition. Once again it would be a great chaos car. Unfortunately I don't have the room or I would buy it let me know if any one is interested.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=10313.msg71730#msg71730

Offline BornAgainFan

• Pit Crew
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 11:50:35 AM »
My son and I were sitting top row Aug14 2009 enjoying warm ups and time trials. Two gentlemen were looking for a place to sit. I told them that there was extra real estate beside us and they accepted. The one man asked us where we were from we told him Woodstock, he then told us he was mayor of Strathroy. Mayor Mel as some of you might know. We chatted back and forth and he told me all sorts of stuff. I have come to the realization that Mayor Mel is somewhat of a celeb. He has been a part of Delaware Speedway and and has helped out quite a bit in the pits. He currently recovering from hip replacement and seems to be doing well in spite of some set backs. Mel is quite the enthusiast and really enjoys his time at Delaware. If you or anyone you know has been the lucky recipient of some of his hospitality whetere it be in the pits or the stands lets here about it and give the man some recognition for his part in Delaware Speedway. This is no doubt a vital part of what makes Delaware Speedway the #1 half mile track in Canada. God bless Mayor Mel and we pray for complete recovery
Hope to hear from you soon.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=10313.msg71812#msg71812

Offline jworacing

• Contributing Members
  • Series Owner
  • Cause we suck at hockey
    • JWO Racing
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 08:19:40 AM »
Delaware Speedway has been what we have long considered our "Home Track" even when we didn't have a division to run in and had to run somewhere else. This place, the people, and the racing is the best we  have ever had the privaledge of enjoying or being a part of.
 Having acceptance and value bestowed upon yourself and your driver and team when your obviously the new comer is something you will not readily find at most tracks. The other competitors, and speedway staff have treated Jake, myself and Steve our crew guy with nothing but respect and total acceptance. Having the Competition step up and help you when you struggle is an amazingly fresh approach to racing. The teams and the drivers are the race track and really do "Represent". All the drivers for the most part should take a bow for making this place the #1 motorsports facility in Ontario and I dare say most likely Canada.
 I've taken allot flak about my positive comments about Delaware Speedway, but it's a position I will vehemently defend and definitely find worthy of doing so.
So is this indicative of "good-times"? I would like to think so. It's hard to come up with one story as we have had many to choose from.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=10313.msg71830#msg71830
"The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose."
- Dale Earnhardt

spindoctor

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 07:02:56 PM »
Great topic....I don't need to repeat what Jim had to say but it is worth repeating...everyone including the management has been helpful and respectful of our team since we tested a few times last season. Delaware has surpassed my expectations but I'm hoping we can get a beer tent in the pits for next year... ;D

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=10313.msg72030#msg72030

Offline BornAgainFan

• Pit Crew
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 10:51:28 AM »
Wow I just read what delaware is offering the chaos cars. A good move I think. I am hoping to be able to offer up some prize money soon. This is what makes delaware a great track. Offering entry level racing, Great action racing and superb entertainment.

GOOOOOOOOOOO DELAWARE!!!!!!!!! ::) ::) ::) ;D

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=10313.msg72377#msg72377

Offline racer998

• Pit Crew
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 10:37:00 PM »
I'd just like to say thinks to all the teams that welcomed us to Delaware Speedway this year. I made a lot of new friends this year which is great because I was very nervous about moving to a new track with new people. Mike and Kathleen Hosang have been a lot of help to us and welcomed me from the first day I was there. Sid and his team #33 have also been awesome!
So Thank-You everyone for making my first year at Delaware a good experience!
Michelle Koricina #99 Truck

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=10313.msg72390#msg72390

HTML ezBlock

site
stats