Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Jimmy Carter Scores Thrilling Victory in the CoughlinCars.com  (Read 1977 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
Champion Racing Association                                                                                     Contact: Glenn Luckett

For Immediate Release:                                                                                                                  812-883-0455

Jimmy Carter Scores Thrilling Victory in the CoughlinCars.com 100 Presented by JEGS.com

Columbus, OH (May 28, 2011): The second race of the inaugural season for the JEGS/CRA All-Stars Tour Presented by GM Performance Parts was finally conducted on Saturday, May 28th as the Columbus Motor Speedway in Columbus, Ohio kicked off the Memorial Day Holiday Weekend for Champion Racing Association with the running of the CoughlinCars.com 100 Presented by JEGS.com.

The fast 1/3 (0.333) mile semi-banked circular shaped paved oval saw 28 teams make the trip to the Buckeye State’s Capital city and at the end of the century length main event, it would be 2010 Main Event Racing Series Champion, Jimmy Carter, in only his second ever start in a template bodied car, holding off several challenges from veteran Eddie Hoffman, and a late charge from 19-year-old Chad Finley to win the CoughlinCars.com 100 Presented by JEGS.com.

“This is only our second race ever in a template car and we won it!” A very happy Carter stated in victory lane. “I did all I could to hold off Hoffman and that 42 car came out of nowhere. We’re outlaw bodied guys for sure, but I’m really starting to get a handle on these template / crate cars! I never ever expected to win in just our second start. I have to thank Tim Curry at FLF Racecars for giving me such a great car.” He ended.

After waiting over a month since their last race, back on April 23rd at Toledo Speedway in Toledo, Ohio, it would be five weeks (35 days) later before the cars and stars of JEGS/CRA/GM got back on the track and the 24-car starting field was led to Chief Starter, Robert Tower’s green flag by 2010 Main Event Racing Series Champion, Jimmy Carter and Two-Time Northern Late Model Series Champion, Eddie Hoffman and as the field dove into turn one, it would be Carter edging out the veteran heading into the first corner.

Carter has a hard-charging Travis Braden all over him in the early stages as Hoffman slipped back in the field as he was caught up on the high side allowing several drivers to get by. Keyser Manufacturing Fast Qualifier, 14-year-old Erik Jones, who started fifth, would work his way towards the front and slipped by Braden and set his sights on Carter.

Braden didn’t give up though and drove back around Jones and on lap 27, Jones spun coming out of turn four and then got clipped by Jack Smith. Jones pitted several times over the remainder of the race but was never a factor the rest of the way. Braden was back in second on the restart and had 2010 Columbus Motor Speedway NASCAR Late Models Track Champion, David Carter on his back bumper. D. Carter got around Braden and he then set his sights on J. Carter.

On lap 47, D. Carter drove around J. Carter to briefly take the lead only to lose it four laps later to J. Carter, who regrouped and retook the top spot away from him. Josh Nelms, who started 17th, has worked his way up to third and was battling with D. Carter when on lap 84 contact between the two send D. Carter hard into the front stretch wall. He was ok but done for the evening while Nelms pitted and came back out.

This placed Hoffman back into the second spot and he wasted no time challenging J. Carter for the lead. Hoffman ducked high and low trying to figure out a way around the race long leader when the final caution came out with four laps to go setting up a four-lap dash to settle it all.

On that final restart, Hoffman again searched for a way around J. Carter when 19-year-old Chad Finley, who was involved in two of the earlier cautions and had worked his way back up to third, tried to make a daring three-wide pass on the leaders. J. Carter stood his ground though and the Strongsville, Ohio veteran in is C-C Wholesale Ford fended off both Hoffman and Finley to win the CoughlinCars.com 100 Presented by JEGs.com.

“I tried everything I could think of to get around the 28 car, but man he was all over the track!” A dejected Hoffman remarked as the Wheaton, Illinois veteran stood next to his LisaThomasSalon.com Ford. “I tried to go high and he shot up the track. I then tried to go low underneath him and he drove me down in the grass. If that’s the way he wants to win then that’s fine, we’ll take a second place.” The new JEGS/CRA/GM point’s leader added.

“I tried to make it a show for the fans.” A smiling Finley stated as he climbed from his AutoParts2020.com Ford. “We were the cause of two cautions and I didn’t think we’d even be in this position to have a chance. But after I got up to third, I thought why not and I tried to get by the both of them. After all we’ve been through this weekend, I had nothing to lose. We’ll definitely take a third.” The DeWitt, Michigan driver, who started 18th, added.

Claude Plante Jr., who started 14th, finished fourth and moved into second place in the JEGS/CRA/GM points behind Hoffman while Jack Smith recovered from his earlier incident with Jones to finish of the top five. Braden slipped back to sixth while 18-year-old Brandon Watson was seventh. New Howie Lettow Memorial Rookie of the Year Presented by Howe Racing Enterprises point’s leader, 19-year-old Jimmy Novak was eighth as Justin Matson, and Brent Downey completed the top 10.

Earlier in the afternoon in Keyser Manufacturing Qualifying, Jones established the JEGS/CRA/GM track record in Columbus, Ohio as he turned in a 13.796 which equals out to 86.982 mph.

The third race of the Inaugural 2011 racing season for the JEGS/CRA All-Stars Tour Presented by GM Performance Parts is next Saturday, June 4th at CRA’s home track of Anderson Speedway in Anderson, Indiana as the tight and fast ¼ (0.250) mile high-banked paved oval will host the Anderson 100 Presented by JEGS.com. The Anderson 100 Presented by JEGS.com Entry Form is available on the series website at: www.craracing.net

Also on the card will be the tracks weekly divisions of Front Wheel Drive-Oval Cars as well as Last Chance Thunder Roadsters, Bandoleros, and Figure 8s. JEGS/CRA/GM Rig Parking begins at 1:00p.m., while the Pits Gates officially open at 2:0p.m. The JEGS/CRA/GM Drivers Meeting starts at 3:15p.m., as Practice begins at 4:00p.m., Keyser Manufacturing Qualifying for JEGS/CRA/GM is at 6:30p.m., and the evening’s race program begins at 8:00p.m. 

For more information about the JEGS/CRA All-Stars Tour Presented by GM Performance Parts, as well as the CRA Super Series, Sullivan RV CRA Late Model Sportsman Series, EDCO Welding CRA Street Stocks Series, and the Vore’s Welding & Steel CRA Front Wheel Drive Compacts Series, log onto the CRA website at: www.craracing.net

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=13359.msg93445#msg93445
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

HTML ezBlock

site
stats