Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: NASCAR MAKES BONEHEAD CALL ON GIBBONS  (Read 7130 times)

Offline B.A.R.

• Track Owner
NASCAR MAKES BONEHEAD CALL ON GIBBONS
« on: September 24, 2008, 08:05:29 PM »
Okay we had the deal- Ranger Robbed at Riverside
.. a story of a little french boy wondering through the woods one day when he came along the big bad wolf and decided he was man enough to beat up the big bad wolf-
but instead got his ass ripped open and punched out enough that he started speaking English, I mean Canadian.

Okay - Lets move on....
NASCAR has made some pretty bad calls in their days, and every sports magazine has written some type of controversy story about NASCAR, as a business, as a sport identity, and again- bad judgment calls.
Lets face it, if your going to tell everyone your number one then you should act like number one, and that was the business sense behind it all when Bill France made the calls.

Now it's 2008 and a new France is at the helm, except this one relies on others to make the calls, something his Father would never allow.
" If you say something - you better be ready to stand behind it. If someone that works for you say's something- Fire his ass"..... Big Bill France- 1978

NASCAR has made a really bad call on the Gibbons / Ranger deal by throwing a black flag with 2 laps to go, on the leader of the race, who is retiring at the end of the year, and is sponsored by the same company that sponsors the series, for racing a guy cleanly for the position to win.   Black Flag for that.... NASCAR is whacked to put it nicely !!

NASCAR has out done themselves once again, by making another bonehead call over the same incident. This time they have fined Gibbons Crew Chief and Mechanic for Verbal Abuse, which was made after the black flag call.
Number One, the fines total $750.00, just shy of a NASCAR CTS Win !!
Number Two, if the NASCAR Official was punched out I could see the penalty,
but verbal abuse... come on... what did they call him....a Poppy head or something ??
Number Three- Nascar makes the call to not just fine them, but throw them out of the race
, and worst yet, until December 30th of this year.
Does that mean the crew guys cant come out to the NASCAR Snowball 200 in November?

Gibbon's team gets the fines and the penalty's and Ranger gets a great big kiss on his ass once again by NASCAR.
Either NASCAR's lips are going to get tired or they need to be taught a lesson in racing.

Ranger cried and NASCAR came running. Gibbons now goes into his last race as a Driver and is treated like this. That's BULLSHIT MY FREINDS !!

Gibbons has done more for this series the any other Driver, and can be credited with being a huge supporter of CASCAR and the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series,
NASCAR does not hold a candle to Gibbons and if anyone should be penalized it should be NASCAR themselves for being first class assholes in the sport of Canadian Stock Car Racing.

And your thoughts ?? 

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8669.msg56682#msg56682

CanadianRacingOnline.com

NASCAR MAKES BONEHEAD CALL ON GIBBONS
« on: September 24, 2008, 08:05:29 PM »

Offline longstreet

• Series Owner
Re: NASCAR MAKES BONEHEAD CALL ON GIBBONS
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 08:39:39 PM »
instead of nascar suxs and old cascar shirts maybe run off a bunch of "FREE GIBBONS CREW" shirts. anyone who thought or thinks nascar is here to help the local tracks or racers is misguided, any crumbs that fall off they table that get picked up are because mr france could not lick his finger fast enough to pick them up and keep them. one just needs to look west and see how they treated the cascar west super series, and i dont mean that the canned it but how they did it. the letters did not go out to the teams until DEC, a little hard to put a program together when you didnt even know who your dancing with. jmnsho.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8669.msg56693#msg56693
same as the old boss

Offline B.A.R.

• Track Owner
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 08:54:46 PM »
That whole deal was messed up if you ask me.
The West getting left out in the cold is as good as the Sportsman guys getting dropped.
With Teams being so underfunded right now, those other series would have made allot of sense to have around right now.
To say this is Canada's best series is a far cry from reality.
With good LM, LLM, ACT, OSS, OSCAR and good Saturday night shows, I don't think it will be too much longer before they pack up the money and head South to find a more lucrative frontier.   

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8669.msg56702#msg56702

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 08:54:46 PM »

Offline farmer

• Race Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 09:21:07 PM »
I can't believe that Nascar has done this. To do that to Gibbons' crew for verbal abuse, but letting Ranger's crew away with physical abuse is just sickening. This is so unfair that peter's career is going to end without two of his best crew that have been there in good times and bad, getting to share his last race with him. This was a bad judgement call on Nascar's part, as some common sense should have entered the equation, this being Peter's last race.  Apparently, it was Richard Coughlin that orchestrated the fines and suspensions. As most people know, since Richard got involved in the old Cascar series, and now Nascar, sponsors have left, and car counts are way down. The racers are all sick of the way they are being looked down upon by Sir Richard. People always questioned if Nascar has any class, and now everybody in the Candian Tire series knows for sure. After all what Peter has done for the series, he deserves to leave it on better terms than Nascar has dictated. I think it would be a great thing if the racers would get together and boycott the Kawartha race unless Nascar reverses the suspensions. Peter has helped all his competitors out over time, like Dj staying in his apartment in North Carolina, to setting Donny's valves in Edmonton, to hauling Nuhn's car out to Riverside so that they could race, etc. etc. Most of the teams owe Peter something, and now would be a good time for them to pay back for all those years that Peter has helped make this series what it is today. The few sponsors that are left NCTS are mostly here because Canadian Tire stayed with Peter all these years, and I bet Canadian Tire does not want to see it end like this. Peter deserves better.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8669.msg56718#msg56718

Offline Morgie

• Rookie Driver
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 09:58:41 PM »
Rangers Crew Physical abusing Gibbons crew? That is news to me!!!

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8669.msg56732#msg56732

Offline B.A.R.

• Track Owner
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 10:03:17 PM »
Right on Farmer !!

I wonder how much brain damage Richard really suffers from ??

Lets see here...Gibbons last race, and Canadian Tire is doing something special for him, and oh yea...Canadian Tire Sponsors the series...
Hmmm- What should I do ??
I know- Fine his Team, take away his Crew Chief, take away his Lead Mechanic and make everyone really upset... Boy Oh Boy, the boys down in Daytona will be real proud of me !!

He never had a whole lot of brains when he was with CASCAR, so bringing him to NASCAR was a given...Now it all makes sense !!  

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8669.msg56733#msg56733

Offline southernsponsor

• Team Owner
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 10:29:54 PM »
guys someone tell pete too appeal the penalty!!!  then it has to go infront of the board and everyone can go racin one last time. i think  crews are more important than drivers, and they deserve more than anyone to be at there last race as a team.  an appeal should stall it. 

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8669.msg56738#msg56738

Offline Thayne

• Series Owner
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 10:42:12 PM »

Offline airgun

• Race Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 10:53:47 PM »
it cost $200.00 per infraction(non refundable) to appeal then when you loose you still have to pay the fines.
the reason nothing is being done to ranger is the nascar spys did not see it just as well or they might have got
a slap in yap also

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8669.msg56742#msg56742

Offline DWfan4ever

• Series Owner
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 12:27:01 AM »
Farmer these questions are directed to you.

How do you figure the series has lost teams since Coughlin took over considering the fields this year are larger then they have for the past 5 seasons???

Have there not been more sponsors this year step in to teams for main sponsors or sponsors of events?  ie. A & W for Jason White, Interstate Batteries for Kent Nuhn, Coke Zero for the 2nd event at Cayuga, Pizza Pizza for the 2nd event at Barrie.  Seems to me there are more sponsors involved in the series this year then in years past.

As for the situation with Gibbons and crew members wasn't there so I have no opinion on if this is a bad or good call since we don't know exactly what was said to the official.  So I'm not sure what this has to do with NASCAR favouring Ranger over Gibbons considering they are 2 separate events.  And for those  that feel I'm backing Ranger sorry to disappoint you but he's not my favourite either and Morgie can confirm that.  IF there was a fight between crew members of Rangers team and Gibbons then yes there should have been something done similar to what has now happened to Gibbons crew.  But again since I wasn't there can't say yeah or nah on the issue.  Its just too bad such a decision now made public by NASCAR is going to put a black cloud over what could be the biggest race of the season.

I see B.A.R. is still working on getting his facts straight since the last time I checked the prize payouts for a NASCAR Canadian Tire event it was more then $750.00 to win an event.  But of course B.A.R. seems to like NASCAR one minute and the next minute is slamming them.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8669.msg56761#msg56761

Offline farmer

• Race Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 07:11:27 AM »
Dear DWfan4ever First, I was at Riverside, and was there, and two of Ranger's crew and himself entered Gibbons' hauler, yelling at him, and confronting him. Ranger pushed Pete, and being that there was three of them and one of him, he started swinging to defend himself, and he did a great job. This is a fact, check it out with anyone that was there. If this kind of confrontation doesn't result in some kind of fine or suspension, than maybe everyone should go around at Kawartha, and settle any old scores in the trailers, as obviously, Nascar sees nothing wrong with this. As far as sponsors leaving the series, first Castrol, as the title sponsor, Mechanics Wear, Ford, Chev, Blue Streak, NTN Bearings, Avenue Motorsports, this is just off the top of my head, in three seconds. As far as Interstate Batteries, asks Nuhn's how much money they have received from them. All show, no go on Interstate's part. Gibbons' had to take their car to Nova Scotia to help them out, because they have not received the backing from Interstate. As far as the title sponsors for the races, more show, no go. Diet Coke, Pizza Pizza, etc., sounds great, but if they were putting money to sponsor these races, why didn't any of that money filter down to the racers? The purse at Montreal, the biggest fan race that NCTS races at, was the lowest all year. $3200 to win.  There isn't a team there that could've done that race for under $10 000, between hotels, travel, tires, etc. So if Richard has made things better in your mind, please reply with all the good things he has brought to the series.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8669.msg56766#msg56766

Offline ace

• Track Owner
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 09:15:52 AM »
FARMER

You obviously were not there (at Gibbon's hauler) because just like BAR, your facts are wrong too.  Mis-Information is a wonderful thing, isn't it??

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8669.msg56779#msg56779

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 09:50:02 AM »
OK so we know that Peter was swinging at Andrew to protect himself were did this happen then if it wasn't in Peters Trailer?

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8669.msg56788#msg56788
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

Offline DWfan4ever

• Series Owner
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 10:03:19 AM »
Well we all know there has been no support for the teams in regards to Ford and Chevy for many years so how is that Richard's fault?  I have stated numerous times that its rediculous that the effort these teams put on the track and time in the shop needs to be rewarded by the manufacturers.  I even went to the effort of emailing GM and Ford both last year asking why they refuse to help these teams out since the drivers are the ones promoting their product.  And pointed out that if Dodge can step up with their additional points fund for Dodge teams why can't Ford and Chevy.

As for Blue Streak, they left the series the instant that Al Turner stopped racing as he had a connection with the company if memory serves me correctly.  NTN Bearings left after the stopped sponsoring Mark Dilley and moved over to Kelly Williams ran their sponsor for a season.  And when she stopped racing in the series the sponsor left.  Do you see a trend here???

How about the fact that Walmart has stepped in this year with sponsorship on 2 cars I guess that is not a positive?  

As for the title sponsor of events, if the track arranges the sponsor then the track got the money for the event.  So ask them where the money went as it should have gone to the push the purse up more.  If it's NASCAR getting the event sponsors then they need to explain why there was no purse increase.

How about asking the teams would they still have a major sponsor on their car if they didn't have the NASCAR name attached to it?  Heck "Tow truck in a box" has not only jumped on board with Steckly this year but they have also moved sponsorship into the NASCAR Sprint Cup.  They must see some advantage to it.  As for the situation with Nuhn again kudos to Gibbons for stepping in and giving them help on getting the car there.  But why wasn't there a contract signed stating things like payment schedule and stuff so that the team didn't get the shaft?  I'm sure it wasn't just a verbal agreement to put the sponsor on a car.  

Well can't wait to hear the "feedback" on this one.LOL

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8669.msg56792#msg56792

Offline NSCR-Medic

• Pit Crew
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 10:13:37 AM »
First off...there was no verbal abuse of the NASCAR Official....The Crew Chief and Crew Member both physically grabbed the Official on pit road and threatened bodily harm....that's a big no-no in any racing series.

Second...The Nuhn's have a written aggreement with Interstate and are considering pursuing something through their lawyer, problem is, there is no Interstate Canada so to speak as each distributor is individually owned so they are contacting the US head office first.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=8669.msg56795#msg56795

HTML ezBlock

site
stats